Start by marking “Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think” as Want to Read:
Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think

Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way We Think

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Published to coincide with the 30th anniversary of 'The Selfish Gene', this collection explores the impact of Richard Dawkins as scientist, rationalist, and one of the most important thinkers alive today.
Published May 17th 2007 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Richard Dawkins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Richard Dawkins

شريف عرفة
الكتاب عبارة عن مقالات لأناس يمدحون دوكينز دون تقديم أفكاره ذاتها بشكل متعمق.. لو اردت ان تقرأ له فاقرأ صانع الساعات الأعمى واعمل عقلك في الحجج الذي يسوقها كتدريب ذهني جيد فالرجل من رواد الإلحاد في العالم ومن اهم علماء البيولوجيا
I was really disappointed in this book, which may be my fault. I was expecting an autobiography of Richard Dawkins, whose writing I admire. I was looking forward to a book from which I could learn more about the man, in language I could understand. Instead, this is a collection of essays about Dawkin's work, some of which were somewhat interesting and most of which were way over my head.
No wonder that professor Dawkins gained the world's top thinker poll this year , and that his masterpiece takes a place between top 25 greatest science books, as one of the essays noted here , Richard The Golden Pen , he is really so .
I still remember the situation very clearly , The Selfish Gene left me completely shocked for almost a week , it was ( and still ) the greatest science book I have ever read .
Osama Abdel Qader
كتاب جيد في التعريف بريتشارد دوكينز
لكنه لا يخلو من املال خصوصا في النصف الثاني منه
I couldn't not like this, considering that is a collection of essays by many of my all-time favorite authors, scientists, and scholars, writing about what is IMO the most important idea anyone ever had (Darwinism), and how profoundly Dawkins deepened our understanding of it.

Note: This is a collection of essays (by accomplished scholars... Some of whom are world-famous best-selling authors themselves). So if you're expecting something different, I suppose you could be disappointed, as some review
Ok, first off, let me just say I hate the title of this book. Richard Dawkins is a cool and interesting writer, but he did not change the way I think. Setting that aside, though, he does provide lots of interesting food for thought, and this is a book with essays by a few dozen other cool thinkers. It's kind of what internet chat room conversations almost never are, but should be.

The book is composed of about 25 essays by various people about Richard Dawkins' ideas, especially those in his book
Steven Williams
Overall, the book was pretty good, but uneven, like a good many anthology, although the topic itself is very good, like Richard Dawkins and his work. There is a large difference between Dawkins' writing and most of those that have contributed to this volume. On a whole it is others who are writing and not Dawkins himself.

My two favorite chapters was An Eye on the Core about sociobiology linking Dawkins and E. O. Wilson and Every Indication of Inadvertent Solicitude on Dawkins' writing itself, th
Richards Writings on evolution are amazing because they are detailed, thoughtful and well argued and because

1. the ideas make sense
2. he has an uncommon gift for phrase making (every indication of inadvertent solicitude, the selfish gene).
3. he reveals his personality in his writings
4. he tells stories (the quest may be difficult, but the reader is never lost).

he has a dim view of the intellectual and moral merits of religion.

cultural traits evolve by a process of natural selection in which the
Zbiór reporterzy chwalących dokonania Richarda Dawkinsa. W sumie liczyłem na więcej krytyki, a było praktycznie samo zachwalanie. Nawet głosy antyfalne były bardzo przychylne. Z książki się dowiedziałem jakich przyjaciół i fanów ma Dawkins, bo zbytnio nowych rzeczy to nie, ale i tak warto przeczytać. Książka w Polsce ukazała się w 2008 roku, dwa lata po edycji w Anglii i trzydzieści lat po samolubnym genie. Na obecny czas (2015 rok( bardzo ciężko ją dostać, w wersji elektronicznej nie ma, ale wy ...more
I am an aficionado of Professor Richard Dawkins, the great evolutionary biologist, ethologist, humanist, prolific author and lecturer. And I say that he deserves a better biography than this.

Hmmm... with all of those 4 stars in the ratings of my fellow readers, I'll have to re-read this book. I may have been too hasty in giving it only a 2 star rating. Or, more likely, I've confused it with some other biographical work about Professor Dawkins.
Karima Hussein
الكتاب عبارة عن أن كل عالم عارف ريتشارد دوكينز بيقول رأيه ف ريتشارد دوكينز وبيمدح فيه زائد أنه بيأيد كلامه ف أنكار وجود ربنا
والكتاب مينفعش تستدل بيه على كلام دوكينز أو على فكره

وعامة ريشتارد دوكينز ملحد أه بس ملحد بيستهبل وكلامه ف مناظراته بيثبت وجود أله للكون
A fascinating collection of essays that summarises Dawkins' influence on a wide range of disciplines outside of biology: philosophy, psychology, sociology, computer science and popular science in general. Essential reading for Dawkins fans.
We think in ways other than empirical verification, i.e. a priori analytical verification, or poetic sympathetic convergence, both of which are more important to the 'way we live' than is 'science'.
Justin Woody
Great book about a very interesting man. After reading many of his books it was great to see how he ended up where he did. Looking forward to the second book
مجموعه من الفصول تصف أراء مجموعه من الاشخاص من مختلف التخصصات تصف كيف اثر دوكينز بهم ورأيهم بمؤلفاته وافلامة الوثائقيه
this book will appeal to very few people.
it's just a collection of "how Dawkins changed my life" recollections.
Going to be a good read for my favourite personal hero (next to Douglas Adams!)
Tyler Conner
Tyler Conner marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Freshta Abedi
Freshta Abedi marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Dondrell Mccallon
Dondrell Mccallon marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Brian Bailey
Brian Bailey marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Tim McGrath
Tim McGrath marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Ranjith Raj Vasam
Ranjith Raj Vasam marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Jonathan Sancho
Jonathan Sancho marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Ashok Galphate
Ashok Galphate marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Taoufiq Hebboul
Taoufiq Hebboul marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
  • The Third Culture: Beyond the Scientific Revolution
  • In Darwin's Shadow: The Life and Science of Alfred Russel Wallace
  • Archimedes to Hawking: Laws of Science and the Great Minds Behind Them
  • The Essential Tension: Selected Studies in Scientific Tradition & Change
  • Great Physicists: The Life and Times of Leading Physicists from Galileo to Hawking
  • Stephen Hawking: A Life in Science
  • The Man Who Found Time: James Hutton And The Discovery Of Earth's Antiquity
  • The Artful Universe Expanded
  • The Humans Who Went Extinct: Why Neanderthals Died Out and We Survived
  • Acquiring Genomes: A Theory Of The Origin Of Species
  • Deep Ancestry: Inside the Genographic Project
  • The Fossil Hunter: Dinosaurs, Evolution, and the Woman Whose Discoveries Changed the World
  • Brainchildren