Start by marking “Myth Conceptions” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Myth Conceptions

Robert Lynn Asprin

Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures #2)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  8,717 ratings  ·  96 reviews
After mistakenly being appointed court magician by a regent who should have known better, apprentice mage Skeeve must defend a kingdom from the mightiest invading army in the world.
Published (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Myth Conceptions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myth Conceptions

Gavin
This is the second book in Robert Asprin's lighthearted and fun Myth series of fantasy books. It delivered much the same as the first book. Witty dialogue, action, magic, and likable characters.

Skeeve is invited to try out for the position of court magician by his master Aahz, who claims it will be an easy job. It's not of course, and before long Skeeve finds himself having to defend the whole kingdom against a massive invading army with only the few magical tricks he has mastered so far. Lucky...more
Stephen
3.5 stars. This is the second book in the Myth Adventures series and, like the first book Another Fine Myth, I really enjoyed it. These books are fun, light reads that are perfect for when you either need a mood pick me up, or maybe just want to be entertained without having to invest too much grey matter at the same time.

In this second installment, Skeeve, an apprentice magician, and his teacher Aahz, a demon from another dimension summoned in the first book by Skeeve's dead master, along with...more
Desinka
This second installment in the Myth series was a lot of fun. It was again full of witty dialogue and fun happenings. I liked how Skeeve developed and a characters and the way he dealt with the hard situation he was in. I loved the new additions to the team as well as the appearance of some characters from the first book.

Looking forward to starting the next book.

Rating 3.5 stars.
Werner
Dec 11, 2009 Werner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of humorous fantasy
Recommended to Werner by: My wife
Shelves: fantasy, books-i-own
Usually, when I read books that are part of a series, I prefer to start at the beginning. However, my wife picked this second volume of the author's Myth series up at our local flea market, and suggested that we read it together, so I did. While it makes some reference to previous events, and many of the characters have prior history with each other, it can be enjoyed well enough as a stand-alone.

Set in another dimension where magic, or magik, as Asprin spells it here, (strictly of the incantati...more
April Brown
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Reasonable for an afternoon.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 1980.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the...more
Riana
The magician-in-training Skeeve lives a peaceful but extraordinary life in a run-down old inn with his master Aahz, his pet dragon and a unicorn. Being considered for the position of court magician, Aahz prepares him for a live of luxury and even more peacefulness. Little did they know that this is the start of a great adventure entailing gigantic armies, legendary archers, stone men and gremlins. Will Skeeve succeed in his first (and possibly fatal) task in the kingdom of Possiltum?

A definite i...more
Ensiform
The second Myth Adventures book. Despite being a mere apprentice to a depowered demon, Skeeve manages to snag what he and Aahz think will be a sinecure: Court Magician to the king of Possiltum in Klah. Unfortunately, no sooner is he hired that he is told that the world’s largest army is advancing on the kingdom and his job is top stop it; further, that he will get no help from the army. Still further, if he succeeds, the army will be out to kill him, and if he fails, the council’s men will be ou...more
Jamie
One of my most childhood (well, teenagerhood) possessions is a pair of graphic novels based on Robert Asprin's "Myth" series, illustrated by Phil Foglio. I also read most of the books themselves and enjoyed them nearly as much. When I recently decided to re-read the first three books (Another Fine Myth, Myth Conceptions, and Myth Directions) I was surprised to find out how well they held up. They're still really fun!

Now while "fun" isn't the word I'd use to describe most books in the fantasy gen...more
John Kirk
This is a good story, which continues to expand the world(s) that the characters inhabit. Unfortunately, it was let down by poor editing. For instance, in my copy (part of The Myth-ing Omnibus) every occurence of "Pervect" has been changed to "Pervert". It's also unfortunate that Skeeve seems to refer to demons as a species (more or less synonymous with Deveels): this contradicts the first book, where he says that demon = dimension traveller, so a demon could theoretically be a member of any spe...more
The Flooze
Myth Conceptions, the second book in the adventures of the apprentice magician Skeeve and the demon Aahz, doesn't disappoint. The blend of comedy and fantasy makes for a light-hearted and entertaining read. Oh, the trouble these two get themselves into!

From the opening line, Asprin had me laughing: "Of all the various unpleasant ways to be aroused from a sound sleep, one of the worst is the noise of a dragon and a unicorn playing tag."

What's supposed to be a cushy position as Court Magician, lea...more
Tom

Myth Conceptions is the second book in the Myth Series series written by Robert Asprin. The increasingly powerful Skeeve gets a job as court magician but soon finds out that it is a setup as the court is facing a massive invasion. Skeeve and Aahz must hire a rag-tag band of mercenaries to save the kingdom of Possiltum and they manage to do so with their customer bumbling and good humor.

The second book pretty much uses the same styles as the first relying on humor and good spirits to entertain th

Keziah Wallis
The second book in Robert Asprin's MYTH Adventures starts off a year or so after the events of the first book. Our heroes are hiding out at an abandoned inn with Skeeve's magic skills progressing along despite Aahz's sometimes questionable teaching methods. This time Skeeve is invited to interview for the position of Court Magician at the small kingdom of Possiltum. Spurred on by Aahz he heads off to win the position only to discover that he must now defeat an invading army which is larger that...more
Karen Fainges
Skeve continues to discover the worlds of the demon in this funny continuation of the series. Having enjoyed the first book, I was expecting to like this one but wondering if it would be the same old jokes told again.

While the characters are the same, and the level of humour remains, this is no rehash. An excellent way to watch Skeve's abilities grow, Myth Conceptions, follows his bumbling path through ever more strange worlds.

New friends and enemies meet him and just like Aahz, you are never t...more
Les
This is an extremely entertaining and fast paced book. The story jumps from one adventure to another without any fluff or letdown. The writing is witty. I can't wait to read the next one.
J
Myth Conceptions, book two in Robert Asprin’s Myth series, is just as fun as the first. Skeeve (with plenty of help from Aahz) finds himself the court magician of the kingdom of Possiltum, only to discover that means fighting the biggest army Klah has ever seen. Some familiar faces show up in this volume, adding more fun to the mix. I love the made up quotes Asprin puts at the beginning of each chapter as they are hilarious! For example, “Life is a series of rude awakenings,” attributed to Rip V...more
Heidi Wiechert
Gleep is my favorite character in this series and he has a fairly important scene in this book. Fun, light-hearted fantasy.
Jessica
This novel helped solidify my love-affair with Skeeve and Aahz! Leave it to these two to get themselves into more trouble than they can handle.

I loved that King Rodrick was able to trick the tricksters into wanting the job he offered. And I loved that Aahz and Skeeve were able to enlist the help of their friends, one-time enemies, and new acquaintances (for Skeeve, at least) to march forward in the biggest battle that they've sen in recent years.

This book reinforced the idea that there's no mes...more
Robert
The fantasy duo of Skeeve and Aahz con their way into what they expect will be a cushy job at court. Quickly they find themselves facing down an overwhelming army with nothing but their wits and a few misfits they hire from the interdimensional Bazaar at Deva.

Fun, good-natured, brisk romp through fantasy realms inhabited by humor of situational, character, anachronistic and punning varieties. And by original takes on traditional fantasy creatures.

I'm reading the books out of sequence, and it's...more
Bruce Lowther
Good followup story to the first. I thought the ending was a bit weak, but a pleasant and fast read.
David
A very Punny series. Rereading as far as the Kindle editions.
Jordan
Tons of light-hearted fun. To me the best of the series.
Zavier Carr
Not as good as the first but still a good book.
Joel Lantz
Better than a colonoscopy!
Tony Matthews
Short, simple, entertaining.
Biblioworm
В отличие от первой книги, уже более похоже на книгу из серии, уже, к сожалению, нет такого ощущения легкости как от первой книжки.
Юмор более сдержанный, сюжет более явно сконструированный.
Но, тем не менее, отличная подростковая книга, интересный и по своему логичный мир, правила которого вполне можно понять и принять.
Мне лично сейчас очень подошло - голову можно вообще отключить с одной стороны, все очень просто, с другой стороны сюжет и изложение вполне интересны и удерживают внимание.
Joshua Fruth
Nov 20, 2009 Joshua Fruth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All readers
Shelves: fantasy
*********************
From The Back of The Book
*********************

A demon who had lost his powers, Ahaz still managed to keep his apprentice, Skeeve, out of most of kinds of trouble. Than Skevee was summoned to the court of Rodrick the Fifth of Possiltum to audition for the position of court Magician. Unfortuantely for everyone, he got the job.
Scott Vout
After reading Game of Thrones, I was looking for something light and full of humour.

This did not dissapoint. As i work my way back through this series, one i read originally close to 20 years ago.

The characters are still engaging and the humour still tickles my funny bone.

For some light fantasy with a bit of a twist on the standards of fantasy you will find ths a fun escape. Give it a go. You wont be disappointed.

Dehibberdwrites
Robert Asprin writes brilliant humor in his MYTH series. He creates an odd assortment of characters that are fun to read about. I would read the books to my family and we laughed our way through all the books. If you like humor, magic, mobsters, demons, dragons, and other such characters, read Robert's MYTH books. If you don't like those kinds of characters, read the books and you will come away with some crazy new friends.
Melissa Bennett
This is the 2nd adventure in the Myth Series. If you liked the first book then I'm sure you'll like this one. Skeeve and Aahz find themselves in another mess in which they have to use their wits and pure luck to get out of it. You get introduced to some new characters in this book. I loved every single one of them. They were so hilarious. The book was hilarious. I look forward to reading more of this series.
Antonis
This was a really good book. It continues in the spirit and style of the first one but it improves in most areas. The humor is not really the lough out loud type but it is very enjoyable, much like watching an episodic sitcom. The pacing is great, the prose ready to read and the characters are all very interesting. I definitely recommend this one even if you have not read the first book of the series.
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's Series, #2)
  • Camber of Culdi (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #1)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1) Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)

“Numerical superiority is of no consequence. In battle, victory will go to the best tactician."- G. A. Custer” 15 likes
“Diplomacy is the delicate weapon of the civilized warrior."- Hun, A. T.” 8 likes