Another Fine Myth

Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  11,487 ratings  ·  326 reviews
Skeeve was a magician's apprentice--until an assassin struck and his master was killed. Now, with a purple-tongued demon named Aahz as a companion, he's on a quest to get even.
Paperback
Published July 5th 1990 by Legend paperbacks (first published 1978)

Stefan
I read quite a few of the books in this series several years ago. I remembered enjoying it then, so I thought I'd give it a re-read now and see if the magik was still there. Indeed it is! Another Fine Myth is a highly entertaining light read that I couldn't put down.

The story revolves around the adventures of a young magician's apprentice, Skeeve. Skeeve is a likable character, if a bit naive and the misadventures that he gets into with his friends are a magical romp through a universe of magik,...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Unabridged audio.

Skeeve was a magician's apprentice, until the magician got killed that is. Unfortunately he was killed by an assassin just as he summoned a "demon".

"Demon"-that's short for "Dimensional Traveler". Things just go from bad to worse once they find that he (the Dimensional Traveler that is, the demon) is stuck in Skeeve's dimension, a real backwater. See as I said, Skeeve is just an apprentice. The "demon" (Aahv)instead of killing Skeeve explains that he is a wizard in his own dime...more
Stephen
3.0 stars. This was a fun, quick read that I would compare to the "Discworld" novels as far as the "light hearted" tone of the novel (though in my opinion the Discworld novels are better). The book did have some interesting ideas (my favorite being the "Great Bazaar" in the realm of the Devas which I thought was very cool). All and all, a pretty good, "light" story. I will certainly read the next book in the series.
Jamie
One of my most childhood (well, teenagerhood) possessions is a pair of graphic novels based on Robert Asprin's "Myth" series, illustrated by Phil Foglio. I also read most of the books themselves and enjoyed them nearly as much. When I recently decided to re-read the first three books (Another Fine Myth, Myth Conceptions, and Myth Directions) I was surprised to find out how well they held up. They're still really fun!

Now while "fun" isn't the word I'd use to describe most books in the fantasy gen...more
X
Jun 15, 2008 X rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to X by: Q
It was fun to finally read this book! I had so many preconceived notions about it since I had read small parts when Q read it many years ago, but happily I wasn't disappointed. It was very fast moving and easy to read, and funny, but not as slap-stick as I had thought it might be. It is still not my typical type of book to read (hence the 3 stars instead of 4), but it was nice for a change, and I will likely read the rest of the series someday.
Vicey
Brent Weeks
Probably not a great book, but I read it young, and it occupies a special place in my heart.
Kristen
Sep 05, 2010 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who enjoy good humor and fantasy
For the past few years I have been hounded and preached at by a friend to read the Myth series by Robert Asprin. So finally, after listening to this for some time I have picked up the first book, Another Fine Myth, and gave it a shot.

A fairly basic novel, pretty short too, but entertaining from beginning to end. The book is filled with comic banter between the two main characters, Ahaz and Skeeve, two unlikely companions who are forced into each other's company because of Garkin, Skeeve´s teache...more
Luke
I believe I was in about 6th or 7th grade when I first read Robert Asprin's "Another Fine Myth." I almost immediately blew through the other six books that had been published in the series by that point. I read the book once or twice more in the next couple years, but it had probably been close to twenty years since I last read it when I decided to give it another run through yesterday.

It holds up surprisingly well. I didn't find it as laugh-out-loud funny as I did when I was kid, but I was stil...more
Ellen Benefield
A favorite book. I've re-read it many times. The naive Skeeve and his unwilling demon (that's dimension traveler,kid)are hilarious.Aahaz (pronuounced Oz) is from the dimension of Perv which makes him a Pervert--excuse me Pervect. The quotes at the beginning of each chapter are an added giggle. I miss the late Robert Asprin and his wit--not to mention his funny bone. All his characters and settings are memorable. Deveels, trollops-- and baby dragons who eat your clothes--a backwoods hick apprenti...more
Riana
Meet Skeeve, son of a set-in-his-ways farmer and a mother who taught him a love of books. After running away from home he intends to become a practised thief, but ends up as the great magician Garkin’s apprentice. His master, being outfoxed by his own cunningness, soon ends up dead and leaves Skeeve with a new trainer – a grouchy demon from the dimension Perve. Realizing that he might soon meet his own death, Skeeve flees away on bizarre adventures with Aahz and soon makes some unusual new frien...more
Mike
I'm not entirely sure how I got to adulthood without having read a single Robert Asprin book, especially considering that I've virtually decimated the fantasy stock at Amazon, but fortunately, that particular problem has been corrected.

This book reminds me a bit of Piers Anthony's Xanth (before he got all weird) but with somewhat fewer puns. Very lighthearted, VERY comical, very silly, with a main character who pretty much has no idea what's going on, ever. Allied with the fearsome demon cum mag...more
Spigana
Gandrīz vai vēl labāk, nekā atceros.
Smieklīga, burvīga grāmata un mītu variācijas ir bezgala garšīgas. Man jau vispār patīk grāmatas, kuru pasaule būtībā ir tā pati mūsējā, tikai ar nelielām korekcijām. Šinī gadījumā- pieņemot, ka mīti ir patiesi.
Jeane
I really enjoyed these books, I thought that they were an amusing and easy read. Very lighthearted and funny. Maybe some day I will read the rest of the series but I'm not in any rush to go out and buy more of the books.
Terence
I'm pretty sure I read at least the first three of the Myth Adventures series. I found them pleasantly amusing but, as with a lot of these parodies, the joke grew stale after a while and I lost interest.
Susan Ferguson
Love these stories - and Robert Asprin as an author and his worlds. I read these quite a few years back and when I discovered they were being released in ebook, I got them to read again.
This is the first book in the series. Skeeve is studying magic under Garkin, when they get into a fuss about Skeeve not practicing as he should. So, to prove a point, Gharkin summons a demon - unfortunately, an assassin finds Gharkin at the same time. The demon summoned is an inhabitant of Perv (a Pervect), a fr...more
Thomas Knowles
This is a new release from Event Horizon EBooks, an e-book reprint of the original 1979 printed edition. Note that the rating is posted by the publisher.
Kynan
A rather tongue-in-cheek treatment of the fantasy genre, following the apprenticeship of Skeeve and his associates through assorted adventures.

I'd liken this book (and I'm assuming the rest of the series) to the Dexter books. This was a light, fun read, although the Myth book is rather more overtly humourous with a predilection for sarcasm and a lot of the puns edge into breaking the fourth wall. There is also some rather time-specific humour sprinkled around that is showing its age (i.e. the re...more
MissSusie
Oh this was so much fun! These books had been recommended to me years ago and have been languishing away on my TBR list since then, when I saw on audible that they were finally available on audio I jumped at the chance to give them a try, and now have another series to listen to 18 books I could go broke but this one was so much fun I must listen to more!

I loved all the characters in this book, I appreciated that the author let readers get to know them as they got to know each other it was a gre...more
Donald Linnemeyer
I love the MYTH series, probably more than I should. I got a hold of the books from my dad when I was younger, and I've gone back and reread the first. Its not great writing, but it's a fun, quick read.

Asprin's universe is really, thoroughly entertaining. He takes basic myths, and re-interprets them in a universe of practically limitless worlds. Demons, instead of being from hell, are actually just creatures from other dimensions. Moving from one dimension to another (d-hopping) is actually real...more
D. B.
A quick, inoffensive, if somewhat homogenized fantasy read. Asprin's world isn't nearly as fully realized or interesting as Terry Pratchett's Discworld, with which it shares several tongue-in-cheek attributes, but it's far enough removed from our own to provide an escape, while Aazh the stranded demon sorcerer speaks so much like a Brooklyn bogeda owner as to make the reader feel pretty much at home on Earth.

The dialogue is the most off-putting quirk of the book. While most any other fantasy wri...more
Scurra
This is a stand-in comment for the entire Myth Adventures series, as I don't intend to comment on all of them.
Suffice it to say that Asprin maintained an exceptionally high standard throughout this series, which gained a new lease of life when he started to collaborate with Jody Lynn Nye after an enforced absence.

Asprin takes the fantasy tropes and revisits them with some always amusing twists, but at heart the story is about Skeeve and Aahz, the always-reliable Odd Couple pairing who learn just...more
So, I Read This Book Today
As a culture, we are always looking for the next best thing. Computers, cars, you name it. And, of course, books. Everything from urban fantasy to suspense, young adult to horror. Sometimes, though, what is New isn’t what we really need. Instead, what is Old is new again, or rather, it should be!

I just listened to Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin, and narrated by Noah Michael Levine. First printed in 1978, I found the series way back then, and have the whole collection in paper. Recently, howe...more
Ruthie
“Take the Universe as it is. Add devils, dragons, and magic. Then stand back… Skeeve was a magician’s apprentice, until an assasin hired by an ancient enemy struck and his master was dead. Skeeve suddenly found himself alone with Aahz, a purple-tongued demon the old magician had summoned from another dimension as a practical joke just before he was killed. Aahz had lost his powers. Skeeve had just lost his job. So, together, they set out through a universe populated by Deveels, Imps, dragons, un...more
Tom

Another Fine Myth is the first book in the Myth Series series written by Robert Asprin. It tells the story of young magician’s apprentice Skeeve and the demon, Aahz, summoned by Skeeve’s master.

An assassin murders the magician leaving Aahz stranded and without magic and Skeeve without an instructor so they decided to team up. What follows is a madcap series of adventures in which each relies upon the other to make their way through the many dimensions of the world as they try to restore Aahz’s p

Leslie
Okay I admit it. I've never read any of Robert Aspirin's Myth books before. Oh, I've MEANT to read them for years. In fact, I have owned this very volume since approximately 1989. This book has followed me through probably 6 or 7 moves including a trip across country. So finally finally finally I ripped it down off the shelf and read it within a few days. Okay. I don't know why I've waited so long. It's really pretty good.

Skeeve is a sweet and naive young man (sweet considering that prior to his...more
Leonardo Etcheto
This is probably the fifth time I have read the book. I pulled it out of my bookshelf so my daughter could read it and ended up reading it myself again. I really enjoy the light and happy style, with all the wordplay and allusions and the great characters. Very enjoyable read. The interplay between the cynical and venal Aahz (but with a hidden hear of gold of course) and the naive and good hearted Skeeve (but with a reserve of strength and determination of course) is delightful.
Ensiform
Skeeve, a young thief turned magician’s apprentice, is suddenly and reluctantly thrust into the world of adventuring, assassins, demons and dimension-hopping when his teacher is killed and a reptilian “demon,” the Pervect Aahz, takes him in. Having lost his powers, Aahz continues to train Skeeve, and together they try to stop the madman Isstvan from taking over his homeworld, Klah.

This is where it all started, the first Myth Adventures book. I’ve been reading and re-reading this series for years...more
Jenny J
This was the series that made me a fantasy fan and re-reading this was *almost* as good as reading it the first time. NOTHING could have been better than that.

After his mentor is assassinated while summoning a demon, Skeeve is apprenticed to said demon (short for 'dimension hopper'), a green-scaled, worldly-wise, and very sarcastic fellow named Aahz, who lost his powers in the summoning. Together they must take on the assassin, while saddled with a would-be demon hunter named Quigley (currently...more
  • A Night in the Netherhells
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme, #1)
  • Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4)
  • Lady Slings the Booze (Lady Sally's, #2: Callahan's Series, #5)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...
Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1) Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)

“C'mon kid. Think a minute, even if it hurts.” 11 likes
“To function efficiently, any group of people or employees must have faith in their leader."- Capt. Bligh(ret.)” 5 likes