Start by marking “Another Fine Myth” as Want to Read:
Another Fine Myth

Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  14,462 ratings  ·  409 reviews
Skeeve was a magician's apprentice--until an assassin struck and his master was killed. Now, with a purple-tongued demon named Aahz as a companion, he's on a quest to get even.
Paperback
Published July 5th 1990 by Legend paperbacks (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Another Fine Myth, please sign up.

Karla I consider these books to be in the same genre as Pratchett (comic fantasy), but it's a very different style of writing, and different plots as well.…moreI consider these books to be in the same genre as Pratchett (comic fantasy), but it's a very different style of writing, and different plots as well. I thoroughly enjoy them both, and if you like one, I'd recommend the other.

Be warned though - if you like this book and continue reading the series, IMO they go downhill significantly after about book 8 (I'm going from memory here, so it may be slightly earlier/later)(less)

Stefan Yates
I read quite a few of the books in this series several years ago. I remembered enjoying it then, so I thought I'd give it a re-read now and see if the magik was still there. Indeed it is! Another Fine Myth is a highly entertaining light read that I couldn't put down.

The story revolves around the adventures of a young magician's apprentice, Skeeve. Skeeve is a likable character, if a bit naive and the misadventures that he gets into with his friends are a magical romp through a universe of magik,
Mike (the Paladin)
Unabridged audio.

Skeeve was a magician's apprentice, until the magician got killed that is. Unfortunately he was killed by an assassin just as he summoned a "demon".

"Demon"-that's short for "Dimensional Traveler". Things just go from bad to worse once they find that he (the Dimensional Traveler that is, the demon) is stuck in Skeeve's dimension, a real backwater. See as I said, Skeeve is just an apprentice. The "demon" (Aahv)instead of killing Skeeve explains that he is a wizard in his own dime
Gavin
This was a lighthearted and humorous fantasy novel packed full of witty dialogue, action, and magic. I'm not a massive fan of books that have the main focus on humor, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I laughed while reading this. It was a surprisingly enjoyable read.

Skeeve is an apprentice magician who's master is unfortunately assassinated while summoning a demon. Skeeve and the Demon are forced into an unlikely alliance with hilarious consequences and they flee the assassins and plo
David Sarkies
Feb 03, 2015 David Sarkies rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like lighthearted fantasy
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Adventure with a smart mouthed demon and his cheeky apprentice
3 February 2015

One of the main reasons that I read this book was because it kept on appearing on the Goodread's sidebar entitled 'Readers also enjoyed' which I suspect has something to do with all of the Terry Pratchett books that I have read. Okay, I generally don't pay all that much to Goodreads recommendations, but when I was much younger a friend of mine was really into the series and he had been trying to get me to read them as
Stephen
3.0 stars. This was a fun, quick read that I would compare to the "Discworld" novels as far as the "light hearted" tone of the novel (though in my opinion the Discworld novels are better). The book did have some interesting ideas (my favorite being the "Great Bazaar" in the realm of the Devas which I thought was very cool). All and all, a pretty good, "light" story. I will certainly read the next book in the series.
Susan
This was one I picked up as a daily deal that was a very cute fantasy with many different characters from other dimensions. A fun twist on the mystical scale Skeeve is a magicians apprentice and when his master is killed he and his new master set out on a quest to find his killer. His new master is a hoot and you never know if he is telling the truth or not. Quite the little story teller. While cloaked in different appearances they go to different dimensions and pick up a few friends along the w ...more
Jamie
One of my most childhood (well, teenagerhood) possessions is a pair of graphic novels based on Robert Asprin's "Myth" series, illustrated by Phil Foglio. I also read most of the books themselves and enjoyed them nearly as much. When I recently decided to re-read the first three books (Another Fine Myth, Myth Conceptions, and Myth Directions) I was surprised to find out how well they held up. They're still really fun!

Now while "fun" isn't the word I'd use to describe most books in the fantasy gen
Desinka
I embarked on this read with low expectations as to the story and characters and high ones for having a few good laughs. I was very pleasantly surprised to get an interesting bank of characters and a fun story, apart from funny dialogue that made me laugh more often than not.

Skeeve and his demon master Aahz were both quite funny and likable and I loved their banter. The secondary characters were also quite amusing.

I'm looking forward to reading the next installment in the series.

The narrator
Klodovik2
U početku mi se knjiga nije nešto dopala. Ali sa svako pročitanom stranicom rasla je i moja privrženost prema Aahzu i Skeevu. Humor koji mi je u početku bio dječiji postajao mi je sve draži i draži. Par puta sam se nasmija do suza. Ali najviše me kupila ta blaga poremećenost likova i bajkoviti svjet kojeg je Asprin osmislio. Slično kao i Spakovski on uzima poznate stvari ali ih koristi na skroz drugačiji način te se poigrava s našim spoznajama o demonima, vragovima, jednorozima i zmajevima i još ...more
Anastasia Ovsyannikova
Очень забавная и легкая история для разгрузки мозга =) Прочитала ее с удовольствием. Приятно было погрузиться в столь необычный мир, познакомиться с такими чудными и разными героями. Поначалу меня немного раздражала дикая наивность главного героя, но потом даже это стало нравиться, потому что приземляло его и придавало обаяния и необычности. Ну а Ааз...змей просто шикарен! =)
X
Jun 15, 2008 X rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to X by: Q
It was fun to finally read this book! I had so many preconceived notions about it since I had read small parts when Q read it many years ago, but happily I wasn't disappointed. It was very fast moving and easy to read, and funny, but not as slap-stick as I had thought it might be. It is still not my typical type of book to read (hence the 3 stars instead of 4), but it was nice for a change, and I will likely read the rest of the series someday.
Vicey
Terence
I'm pretty sure I read at least the first three of the Myth Adventures series. I found them pleasantly amusing but, as with a lot of these parodies, the joke grew stale after a while and I lost interest.
Heidi
Petty criminal and apprentice magician Skeeve is surprised when his mentor is killed by an assassin in the act of raising a demon...and he's even more alarmed when he realises the demon is still there.

This was a re-read; I read these back in college and liked them. These short little books were perfect for that time in my life--I didn't have a lot of free time but needed some easy escapism. These are nothing but pure escapism. I didn't enjoy the book quite so much this time around; I guess now I
Brent Weeks
Probably not a great book, but I read it young, and it occupies a special place in my heart.
John Wiswell
I recently had a conversation about how many movies are wish fulfillment about slacker everymen who are thrust into importance, causing everyone else in the world to put their lives on hold to assist their mission. And while I loved The LEGO Movie, Another Fine Myth is a fine alternative: it's the story of a slacker everyman who's roped into a demon's scheme and is dragged along, his life being put on hold for the antics of the journey. Our loser-boy is the aptly-named "Skeeve," and his teacher ...more
Luke
I believe I was in about 6th or 7th grade when I first read Robert Asprin's "Another Fine Myth." I almost immediately blew through the other six books that had been published in the series by that point. I read the book once or twice more in the next couple years, but it had probably been close to twenty years since I last read it when I decided to give it another run through yesterday.

It holds up surprisingly well. I didn't find it as laugh-out-loud funny as I did when I was kid, but I was stil
Ensiform
Skeeve, a young thief turned magician’s apprentice, is suddenly and reluctantly thrust into the world of adventuring, assassins, demons and dimension-hopping when his teacher is killed and a reptilian “demon,” the Pervect Aahz, takes him in. Having lost his powers, Aahz continues to train Skeeve, and together they try to stop the madman Isstvan from taking over his homeworld, Klah.

This is where it all started, the first Myth Adventures book. I’ve been reading and re-reading this series for years
Ellen Benefield
A favorite book. I've re-read it many times. The naive Skeeve and his unwilling demon (that's dimension traveler,kid)are hilarious.Aahaz (pronuounced Oz) is from the dimension of Perv which makes him a Pervert--excuse me Pervect. The quotes at the beginning of each chapter are an added giggle. I miss the late Robert Asprin and his wit--not to mention his funny bone. All his characters and settings are memorable. Deveels, trollops-- and baby dragons who eat your clothes--a backwoods hick apprenti ...more
Aleksandar Nikolov
Еми,какво да се каже , просто, още един прекрасен мит. На кратко - група главни идиоти се срещат с други второстепенни групи от полу-идиоти, или май беше обратното. Продължаваме напред (или към втората част), тогава ще се разбере кой - кого!
Chris
Robert Asprin penned a hilarious but relatively irreverent tale involving Skeeve, an inept wannabe wizard, apprenticed to an old magician named Garkin for about one chapter, and apprenticed to the demon Garkin summons, named Aahz.

In Another Fine Myth, Skeeve and Aahz join forces to hunt down Iistvahn, who sent an assassin to kill Garkin, just as Garkin was summoning a 'demon' for his apprentice, while simultaneously 'disenchanting' him.

Aahz, a green, scaly lizard-man with an attitude, takes it u
Katelyn (Esse Quam Videri)
I'll be honest, I figured I'd be giving this book a 1 star review after only a chapter. And for the first 79% of it (according to my Kindle), that is exactly what it was. Pure stubborness was all that kept me going...as in I am extremely stubborn. I was so disappointed. It gets rave reviews because it is supposed to be a humorous fantasy. This was a poor imitation of Terry Pratchet.

The Plot: This is a story about a magician's apprentice named Skeeve after his master is killed by an Imp while su
John Loyd
Another Fine Myth (1978) 200 pages by Robert Asprin.

Skeeve is an apprentice to the magician Garkin. Skeeve is contemplating how he can learn enough magic to be able to get away and use his magic to help him steal enough to get by. Into Garkin's house comes an assassin. The assassin manages to kill Garkin with a crossbow bolt, but at the same time Garkin has loosed a bolt of magical energy that kills the assassin. Moments later a fearsome, reptilian being appears. Skeeve is scared witless.

The new
Shahar Sandhaus
Skeeve was an apprentice magician when his master was murdered by an assassin hired by a person known as Isstvan. Right before Skeeve’s master was killed he summoned a demon from another dimension and they now have to work together to avenge Skeeve’s master, Garkin.
Robert Asprin’s Another Fine Myth is a very fast read but a one where every moments is great. What I mean is that in books like The Lord of The Rings the author describes every inch of the scene. This description is helpful when pictu
Max Nemtsov
Здесь мы ищем только развлечений, поэтому нам все нравится - разухабистый книжный сериал, на самом деле - одна сплошная книжка с сериальной структурой. Жаль, что так и не экранизировали, было б мило. Роман взросления + авантюрный пикареск о том, как преуспеть маргинально бандитскими методами в умеренно отсталой среде. Очень 90-е напоминает.
Julie Decker
Skeeve is a magician's apprentice who's really only interested in learning magic to the extent that it can help him be a better thief. Too bad he has to harness his destiny when his master is killed and leaves him with an accidentally summoned demon named Aahz. But Aahz isn't your typical demon; he's a magician from the dimension Perv, and he's lost his powers. The two of them go on a quest to restore Aahz's powers and get revenge for Skeeve's master, traveling in multiple dimensions and picking ...more
Riana
Meet Skeeve, son of a set-in-his-ways farmer and a mother who taught him a love of books. After running away from home he intends to become a practised thief, but ends up as the great magician Garkin’s apprentice. His master, being outfoxed by his own cunningness, soon ends up dead and leaves Skeeve with a new trainer – a grouchy demon from the dimension Perve. Realizing that he might soon meet his own death, Skeeve flees away on bizarre adventures with Aahz and soon makes some unusual new frien ...more
Grayson Lawrence
Nathan Dehoff
I remember coming across references to the Myth Adventures series years ago and thinking they sounded kind of interesting (hey, I like puns), but I never got around to reading one of them until now. I'd seen them compared to Piers Anthony, whom I generally like even if I think his recent books are mired a little too much in Creepy Old Man Fantasy territory. This one really seems to be set up as the beginning of a series, as it has some quite ambitious world-building but little actual plot. A mag ...more
book review 1 10 Jan 07, 2015 07:45PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy Book prior to 94' boy travels other worlds. [s] 2 15 May 30, 2014 07:23PM
What's The Name o...: Fantasy Young Boy Wizard w/Lizard man tutor [s] 4 31 Nov 26, 2013 11:03AM
What's The Name o...: Fantasy Adult [s] 3 30 Feb 28, 2013 09:51AM
  • A Malady Of Magicks (The Ebenezum Trilogy, #1)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • Her Majesty's Wizard (Wizard in Rhyme #1)
  • Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1)
  • Split Infinity  (Apprentice Adept, #1)
  • The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1)
  • The Wizardry Consulted (Wiz, #4)
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
  • Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming (Millennial Contest, #1)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Asprin...

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)
Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1) Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)

“C'mon kid. Think a minute, even if it hurts.” 12 likes
“To function efficiently, any group of people or employees must have faith in their leader."- Capt. Bligh(ret.)” 6 likes