Start by marking “Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)” as Want to Read:
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)

Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,233 Ratings  ·  449 Reviews
Skeeve was a magician's apprentice--until an assassin struck and his master was killed. Now, with a purple-tongued demon named Aahz as a companion, he's on a quest to get even.
Paperback
Published July 5th 1990 by Legend paperbacks (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Another Fine Myth, please sign up.

Karla I consider these books to be in the same genre as Pratchett (comic fantasy), but it's a very different style of writing, and different plots as well.…moreI consider these books to be in the same genre as Pratchett (comic fantasy), but it's a very different style of writing, and different plots as well. I thoroughly enjoy them both, and if you like one, I'd recommend the other.

Be warned though - if you like this book and continue reading the series, IMO they go downhill significantly after about book 8 (I'm going from memory here, so it may be slightly earlier/later)(less)

Evgeny
Jun 14, 2016 Evgeny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“C'mon kid. Think a minute, even if it hurts.”

Skeeve
Skeeve
used to be a magician apprentice until an assassin (who paid for the deed with his life right away) brought an untimely end to his master, but not before the latter summoned a demon.
“The Demon curled its lips back, revealing a double row of needle-sharp teeth. I considered changing my chosen course of action; I considered fainting.”
Now Skeeve was stuck with the said demon who seems to have a very nice friendly personality:
“Are you going to sha
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 02, 2016 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Unabridged audio.

Skeeve was a magician's apprentice, until the magician got killed that is. Unfortunately he was killed by an assassin just as he summoned a "demon".

"Demon"-that's short for "Dimensional Traveler". Things just go from bad to worse once they find that he (the Dimensional Traveler that is, the demon) is stuck in Skeeve's dimension, a real backwater. See as I said, Skeeve is just an apprentice. The "demon" (Aahv)instead of killing Skeeve explains that he is a wizard in his own dime
Stefan Yates
Dec 18, 2012 Stefan Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read quite a few of the books in this series several years ago. I remembered enjoying it then, so I thought I'd give it a re-read now and see if the magik was still there. Indeed it is! Another Fine Myth is a highly entertaining light read that I couldn't put down.

The story revolves around the adventures of a young magician's apprentice, Skeeve. Skeeve is a likable character, if a bit naive and the misadventures that he gets into with his friends are a magical romp through a universe of magik,
Gavin
Sep 23, 2014 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was a lighthearted and humorous fantasy novel packed full of witty dialogue, action, and magic. I'm not a massive fan of books that have the main focus on humor, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I laughed while reading this. It was a surprisingly enjoyable read.

Skeeve is an apprentice magician who's master is unfortunately assassinated while summoning a demon. Skeeve and the Demon are forced into an unlikely alliance with hilarious consequences and they flee the assassins and plo
David Sarkies
Feb 03, 2015 David Sarkies rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like lighthearted fantasy
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Adventure with a smart mouthed demon and his cheeky apprentice
3 February 2015

One of the main reasons that I read this book was because it kept on appearing on the Goodread's sidebar entitled 'Readers also enjoyed' which I suspect has something to do with all of the Terry Pratchett books that I have read. Okay, I generally don't pay all that much to Goodreads recommendations, but when I was much younger a friend of mine was really into the series and he had been trying to get me to read them as
Stephen
3.0 stars. This was a fun, quick read that I would compare to the "Discworld" novels as far as the "light hearted" tone of the novel (though in my opinion the Discworld novels are better). The book did have some interesting ideas (my favorite being the "Great Bazaar" in the realm of the Devas which I thought was very cool). All and all, a pretty good, "light" story. I will certainly read the next book in the series.
Susan
Jan 11, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one I picked up as a daily deal that was a very cute fantasy with many different characters from other dimensions. A fun twist on the mystical scale Skeeve is a magicians apprentice and when his master is killed he and his new master set out on a quest to find his killer. His new master is a hoot and you never know if he is telling the truth or not. Quite the little story teller. While cloaked in different appearances they go to different dimensions and pick up a few friends along the w ...more
Jamie
Aug 15, 2008 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my most childhood (well, teenagerhood) possessions is a pair of graphic novels based on Robert Asprin's "Myth" series, illustrated by Phil Foglio. I also read most of the books themselves and enjoyed them nearly as much. When I recently decided to re-read the first three books (Another Fine Myth, Myth Conceptions, and Myth Directions) I was surprised to find out how well they held up. They're still really fun!

Now while "fun" isn't the word I'd use to describe most books in the fantasy gen
Desinka
Sep 22, 2014 Desinka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I embarked on this read with low expectations as to the story and characters and high ones for having a few good laughs. I was very pleasantly surprised to get an interesting bank of characters and a fun story, apart from funny dialogue that made me laugh more often than not.

Skeeve and his demon master Aahz were both quite funny and likable and I loved their banter. The secondary characters were also quite amusing.

I'm looking forward to reading the next installment in the series.

The narrator
Klodovik2
Jul 12, 2015 Klodovik2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
U početku mi se knjiga nije nešto dopala. Ali sa svako pročitanom stranicom rasla je i moja privrženost prema Aahzu i Skeevu. Humor koji mi je u početku bio dječiji postajao mi je sve draži i draži. Par puta sam se nasmija do suza. Ali najviše me kupila ta blaga poremećenost likova i bajkoviti svjet kojeg je Asprin osmislio. Slično kao i Spakovski on uzima poznate stvari ali ih koristi na skroz drugačiji način te se poigrava s našim spoznajama o demonima, vragovima, jednorozima i zmajevima i još ...more
Anastasia Ovsyannikova
Jan 12, 2015 Anastasia Ovsyannikova rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Очень забавная и легкая история для разгрузки мозга =) Прочитала ее с удовольствием. Приятно было погрузиться в столь необычный мир, познакомиться с такими чудными и разными героями. Поначалу меня немного раздражала дикая наивность главного героя, но потом даже это стало нравиться, потому что приземляло его и придавало обаяния и необычности. Ну а Ааз...змей просто шикарен! =)
Michael
Jan 25, 2016 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults, fantasy role-players, Asprin fans
Recommended to Michael by: Seth Klein
As it happens, I didn’t start reading this series with this book. Well, not exactly. I discovered “Myth Adventures” as a comic book drawn by Phil Foglio and read that, borrowing some issues from a friend and buying others. So, when I wanted to read the novels, I went looking for one called “Myth Adventures” to start with, but there wasn’t one. The title “Another Fine Myth” SOUNDED like a sequel, so I wound up starting with “Myth Conceptions” (number 2 in the series), and didn’t get back to readi ...more
Wart Hill
Feb 02, 2015 Wart Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was very fun!
X
Jun 15, 2008 X rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to X by: Q
It was fun to finally read this book! I had so many preconceived notions about it since I had read small parts when Q read it many years ago, but happily I wasn't disappointed. It was very fast moving and easy to read, and funny, but not as slap-stick as I had thought it might be. It is still not my typical type of book to read (hence the 3 stars instead of 4), but it was nice for a change, and I will likely read the rest of the series someday.
Vicey
Nov 24, 2008 Vicey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terence
Oct 19, 2009 Terence rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I'm pretty sure I read at least the first three of the Myth Adventures series. I found them pleasantly amusing but, as with a lot of these parodies, the joke grew stale after a while and I lost interest.
Heidi
Oct 27, 2014 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Petty criminal and apprentice magician Skeeve is surprised when his mentor is killed by an assassin in the act of raising a demon...and he's even more alarmed when he realises the demon is still there.

This was a re-read; I read these back in college and liked them. These short little books were perfect for that time in my life--I didn't have a lot of free time but needed some easy escapism. These are nothing but pure escapism. I didn't enjoy the book quite so much this time around; I guess now I
Brent Weeks
Feb 01, 2010 Brent Weeks rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably not a great book, but I read it young, and it occupies a special place in my heart.
John Wiswell
I recently had a conversation about how many movies are wish fulfillment about slacker everymen who are thrust into importance, causing everyone else in the world to put their lives on hold to assist their mission. And while I loved The LEGO Movie, Another Fine Myth is a fine alternative: it's the story of a slacker everyman who's roped into a demon's scheme and is dragged along, his life being put on hold for the antics of the journey. Our loser-boy is the aptly-named "Skeeve," and his teacher ...more
Riana
Feb 16, 2014 Riana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meet Skeeve, son of a set-in-his-ways farmer and a mother who taught him a love of books. After running away from home he intends to become a practised thief, but ends up as the great magician Garkin’s apprentice. His master, being outfoxed by his own cunningness, soon ends up dead and leaves Skeeve with a new trainer – a grouchy demon from the dimension Perve. Realizing that he might soon meet his own death, Skeeve flees away on bizarre adventures with Aahz and soon makes some unusual new frien ...more
So, I Read This Book Today
As a culture, we are always looking for the next best thing. Computers, cars, you name it. And, of course, books. Everything from urban fantasy to suspense, young adult to horror. Sometimes, though, what is New isn’t what we really need. Instead, what is Old is new again, or rather, it should be!

I just listened to Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin, and narrated by Noah Michael Levine. First printed in 1978, I found the series way back then, and have the whole collection in paper. Recently, howe
Luke
Jun 24, 2012 Luke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I believe I was in about 6th or 7th grade when I first read Robert Asprin's "Another Fine Myth." I almost immediately blew through the other six books that had been published in the series by that point. I read the book once or twice more in the next couple years, but it had probably been close to twenty years since I last read it when I decided to give it another run through yesterday.

It holds up surprisingly well. I didn't find it as laugh-out-loud funny as I did when I was kid, but I was stil
Tom
Sep 03, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Another Fine Myth is the first book in the Myth Series series written by Robert Asprin. It tells the story of young magician’s apprentice Skeeve and the demon, Aahz, summoned by Skeeve’s master.

An assassin murders the magician leaving Aahz stranded and without magic and Skeeve without an instructor so they decided to team up. What follows is a madcap series of adventures in which each relies upon the other to make their way through the many dimensions of the world as they try to restore Aahz’s p

Ensiform
Jun 22, 2011 Ensiform rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Skeeve, a young thief turned magician’s apprentice, is suddenly and reluctantly thrust into the world of adventuring, assassins, demons and dimension-hopping when his teacher is killed and a reptilian “demon,” the Pervect Aahz, takes him in. Having lost his powers, Aahz continues to train Skeeve, and together they try to stop the madman Isstvan from taking over his homeworld, Klah.

This is where it all started, the first Myth Adventures book. I’ve been reading and re-reading this series for years
Ellen Benefield
Aug 03, 2013 Ellen Benefield rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite book. I've re-read it many times. The naive Skeeve and his unwilling demon (that's dimension traveler,kid)are hilarious.Aahaz (pronuounced Oz) is from the dimension of Perv which makes him a Pervert--excuse me Pervect. The quotes at the beginning of each chapter are an added giggle. I miss the late Robert Asprin and his wit--not to mention his funny bone. All his characters and settings are memorable. Deveels, trollops-- and baby dragons who eat your clothes--a backwoods hick apprenti ...more
Aleksandar Nikolov
Еми,какво да се каже , просто, още един прекрасен мит. На кратко - група главни идиоти се срещат с други второстепенни групи от полу-идиоти, или май беше обратното. Продължаваме напред (или към втората част), тогава ще се разбере кой - кого!
Chris
Jul 09, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Asprin penned a hilarious but relatively irreverent tale involving Skeeve, an inept wannabe wizard, apprenticed to an old magician named Garkin for about one chapter, and apprenticed to the demon Garkin summons, named Aahz.

In Another Fine Myth, Skeeve and Aahz join forces to hunt down Iistvahn, who sent an assassin to kill Garkin, just as Garkin was summoning a 'demon' for his apprentice, while simultaneously 'disenchanting' him.

Aahz, a green, scaly lizard-man with an attitude, takes it u
John Loyd
Apr 08, 2015 John Loyd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Fine Myth (1978) 200 pages by Robert Asprin.

Skeeve is an apprentice to the magician Garkin. Skeeve is contemplating how he can learn enough magic to be able to get away and use his magic to help him steal enough to get by. Into Garkin's house comes an assassin. The assassin manages to kill Garkin with a crossbow bolt, but at the same time Garkin has loosed a bolt of magical energy that kills the assassin. Moments later a fearsome, reptilian being appears. Skeeve is scared witless.

The new
Shahar Sandhaus
Apr 07, 2015 Shahar Sandhaus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skeeve was an apprentice magician when his master was murdered by an assassin hired by a person known as Isstvan. Right before Skeeve’s master was killed he summoned a demon from another dimension and they now have to work together to avenge Skeeve’s master, Garkin.
Robert Asprin’s Another Fine Myth is a very fast read but a one where every moments is great. What I mean is that in books like The Lord of The Rings the author describes every inch of the scene. This description is helpful when pictu
Max Nemtsov
Feb 07, 2015 Max Nemtsov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Здесь мы ищем только развлечений, поэтому нам все нравится - разухабистый книжный сериал, на самом деле - одна сплошная книжка с сериальной структурой. Жаль, что так и не экранизировали, было б мило. Роман взросления + авантюрный пикареск о том, как преуспеть маргинально бандитскими методами в умеренно отсталой среде. Очень 90-е напоминает.
book review 1 11 Jan 07, 2015 07:45PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Fantasy Book prior to 94' boy travels other worlds. [s] 2 15 May 30, 2014 07:23PM
What's The Name o...: Fantasy Young Boy Wizard w/Lizard man tutor [s] 4 34 Nov 26, 2013 11:03AM
What's The Name o...: Fantasy Adult [s] 3 30 Feb 28, 2013 09:51AM
  • A Disagreement With Death (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #3)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock, #1)
  • The Sleeping Dragon (Guardians of the Flame, #1)
  • Wizard's Bane (Wiz, #1)
  • Heroics for Beginners
  • Blue Adept  (Apprentice Adept #2)
  • Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
  • Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming (Millennial Contest, #1)
  • Time Travellers Strictly Cash (Callahan's Series, #2)
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Asprin...

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)

“C'mon kid. Think a minute, even if it hurts.” 12 likes
“To function efficiently, any group of people or employees must have faith in their leader."- Capt. Bligh(ret.)” 6 likes