Start by marking “The Mother Dance: How Children Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Mother Dance: How ...

Harriet Lerner

The Mother Dance: How Children Change Your Life

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  32 reviews

From the celebrated author of The Dance of Anger comes an extraordinary book about mothering and how it transforms us — and all our relationships — inside and out. Written from her dual perspective as a psychologist and a mother, Lerner brings us deeply personal tales that run the gamut from the hilarious to the heart-wrenching. From birth or adoption to the empty nest, Th

Published August 28th 1998 by Diane Pub Co (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Mother Dance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mother Dance

Skylar Burris
It’s difficult to tell what sort of book Dr. Lerner really set out to write. A book about how having and raising children affects women emotionally and psychologically? A book of random, select parenting advice? A book of counseling case studies tangentially related to parenting? A feminist polemic? The title would have the reader believe Dr. Lerner had definitely settled on the first topic, but it seems to me that equal time is given to all of these topics, and the book therefore lacks focus.

O
K
Reading Harriet Lerner is like talking with that great friend you have -- the one who's funny, insightful, and opinionated but sufficiently endearing that you can forgive her shooting her mouth off.

That said, I didn't find this book nearly as insightful as "The Dance of Anger." Harriet gave a voice to many things that mothers feel and experience, but nothing she said really grabbed me and as a result, I found the book a little slow-going.

I also found her a little preachy in terms of her ideas
Helen King
I enjoyed this book - it was like reading a series of entertaining blog posts which gave snippets on insight on ways you might think about issues and relations with child(ren) and partner. It appeared from reviews that some people have read it to find THE ANSWERS - I think it is pretty clear from the way Harriet writes that there is no single answer - you need to find the paths that work for you and your child(ren) and also need to be adaptable as yours, and their, needs change. She is also quit ...more
Lisa
I somehow misunderstood the intended audience for this book, expecting it to focus on the relationship between reader and his/her mother. Once I started, it was obviously written for the mother herself. I wasn't one, yet, but I read it anyway, since it seems like an enormously important subject to mothers, and figured I'd get a head start.

IT WAS SO GREAT! Lerner is an accomplished writer, and likable, and it was comprehensive and interesting. I really enjoyed it and was surprised to recognize s
Lesley
Nice to read a "parenting" book that is more about the parent than the kids!
Linda
Interesting and thought-provoking insights into all the stages of motherhood. I enjoyed listening to this on tape; it gave me a lot to think about at my stage in life--children leaving the nest, the first grandchild on the way. It would be a good book for mothers and their grown daughters to read, discuss, and share. While I don't always agree with Lerner's point of view, she expresses herself openly and honestly; and I appreciate that.
Morgan
This is what I imagine it must be like to have a feminist psychologist cool aunt sit you down while pregnant and tell you "like it is". It's thoughtful and irreverent about parenting in a very 2nd Wave, pre-Attachment way (the book is from 1998 and her kids are born in 1975 and 1979), which is very refreshing. More about validation then hands-on advice.

Note: I've seen several reviews of this book say it is anti-SAHM because she mentions in the introduction that she felt she had to put aside her
Sera
Oct 05, 2008 Sera rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sera by: Sherry
Shelves: parenting, own
This book is a great resource for moms, and for parents in general. I'm sure that I'll be referring to it over the years to come. The book started a little off for me. Although it begins with a good discussion of gender roles, it fails to take it to the next level in discussing non-traditional gender roles in the home (i.e., the working mom and stay at home dad) that made the book feel a little dated for me. However, Lerner quickly moves on to many other topics, which provided great insight into ...more
Sara
I had heard good things about Lerner's other books, so I was surprised to discover that this one is so poorly written. I don't even know how to describe the style... it's a mix of therapeutic advice/case studies, personal anecdotes, soapbox tangents and a few other things she felt like throwing in.

I appreciated her honesty about the ambivalent feelings that accompany motherhood and admissions of her own shortcomings as a mother, but ultimately her example and voice were not compelling to me. I
Chrystal
Sep 10, 2008 Chrystal marked it as never-mind  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Chose not to read it after all because of this review on Amazon:
By A Customer
I was very dissapointed with this book. First of all, this is a book completely biased toward working mothers. Ms Lerner refers to a stay at home in her book as a martyr. She uses this book as a platform for her feminist agenda as SHE sees feminism. The whole book feels like she's trying to work out her guilt over how she mothered. She feels the need to say over and over that we're not responsible for how our children
Maddy
It was okay. I liked the end especially ("Kids? Why Risk It?"), because it was what I was looking for.

My take away:
-- be careful about transmitting your food and body issues to your kids. Forbidding food (sweets and chocolates) will only make them want those more. Don't force your kids to Clean Their Plates. Encourage them to eat when hungry and stop when full.
-- No couple can maintain the same workload as before. But it doesn't have to be the mother (or father) completely giving up one's career
Aug 31, 2008 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers who think
Shelves: motherhood
If you can't already tell from many of my book selections, I'm very into books on the experience of motherhood. The brunt of this one is that we have less control over our kids than we think we do and should stop taking so much credit and so much blame for the things they do right and the things they do wrong. Lerner tackles such prickly issues as new motherhood, equality in parenting, sibling relationships, and talking to your children about food and sex with candor and wit. I especially liked ...more
Margaret Zhang
There's nothing like reading your first Harriet Lerner book...

Unfortunately, though, this was one was my fifth Harriet Lerner book, so the tears and gasps of insight that I relished when I read "The Dance of Intimacy" were absent. Nonetheless, I am very grateful to have read this... I wanted something that would give me a clear and unadulterated look at both the pros and cons of motherhood. This book fit the bill. I would recommend it to any woman who's wondering whether she should consider moth
Diana Sandberg
Didn’t finish this one. It was ok, but perhaps shows the perils of trying to be “fair to all sides” when one has a stake in one side: she tries to be balanced in depicting various approaches to motherhood, but I was glad I didn’t read it before I had kids. The message that having kids is an intrusion on a woman’s life, an unfair intrusion that she must brace herself for and seek to ameliorate as best she can, was pervasive. I got the impression that if I were to tell her that I just don’t experi ...more
Chrissie
This was my first Harriet Lerner book (although I own several others). I really appreciated reading about her experience as a mother of two boys. One of the most striking parts of the book for me was this:
"How we navigate our relationships with our own siblings is perhaps the most crucial variable {in our children's future with each other}, since that's the blueprint we hand them. Also, we pay out with our kids whatever remains unsolved in our own first family..." pg. 224. That was a relevant in
Lia
Another wonderful book by Harriet Lerner. This was an eye-opening read about what it means to be a mother. The stories she shares from her own life are so engaging. Interestingly, I ended up reading this book while I was suddenly participating in "mothering" my sister's two little girls while she left for two and a half weeks for an emergency. This gave me added interest as I read. Definitely recommended, especially if you're considering motherhood ...
Christine Baese
The book was a mix of obvious observations and good advice. For example, step parenting is hard, but keeping the biological parent involved and owning his or her parenting is important.

I most appreciated the feminist perspective on parenting, and the reality based examples and advice. I didn't enjoy the writer's sappy commentary about her sons leaving home, which was recent to her writing.
Elyssa
I read this when I was pregnant and it gave me a good idea of what awaited me. I appreciated Harriet Lerner's own stories as well as the experiences of other mothers. This book is an honest portrayal of the realities of being a mother and how it can change your life in positive ways as well as the challenges.
Sherry
As I seem to recall, this book was very popular when it was released. I enjoyed some of her analysis about the generational differences in women's childrearing and her musings about how motherhood profoundly changes us.
Adrienne
Admittedly skimmed through to the sections that I most wanted to read, but what I did read was excellent honest real and full of insight. This is the first Harriet Lerner I've read and it makes me want to go out and find more.
Maria Dahman
This book is a grab bag, each chapter like a novella on a different topic, though all related to parenting and family life. She is wise and insightful. I was compelled through each chapter despite the shifts of focus.
Heather
Good, but not her best, and nothing particularly groundbreaking here. I do enjoy seeing the world through Lerner's eyes, though, and this book offered that on parenting and motherhood. It was worth the read.
Inder
A little fun pop psychology about being a mom. I found this very silly at times, and very insightful at times. Overall, I'm glad I read it, but the word to insight ratio could be improved upon.
Alicia
I would not have understood this book before I had a child. It was very helpful because it dispels all the oppressive mommy myths.
Liam's Mom -
I loved this book! I totally related to her perspective of motherhood NOT being all it's cracked up to be and all the good stuff too!
Onni
Honest and insiteful, if you are not a cookie cutter mommie this book is for you.
Deirdre Keating
Gotta love another mother of boys. I like her writing style and the stories she shares.
Denise
Mar 21, 2011 Denise rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Yuck. Awful. Horrible, etc. I only made it 48 pages in before I threw in the towel.
Laurie
Good read but no big revelations...
Judy
Very fun read. Love Harriet Lerner.
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • Miseducation: Preschoolers at Risk
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Giving The Love That Heals
  • Composing a Life
  • The Scientist in the Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind
  • A Woman's Book of Life
  • Respectful Parents, Respectful Kids: 7 Keys to Turn Family Conflict into Cooperation
  • The Hip Mama Survival Guide: Advice from the Trenches on Pregnancy, Childbirth, Cool Names, Clueless Doctors, Potty Training, and Toddler Avengers
  • Mothers Who Think: Tales Of Real-Life Parenthood
  • See Jane Win: The Rimm Report On How 1,000 Girls Became Successful Women
  • The Blessing of a B Minus: Using Jewish Teachings to Raise Resilient Teenagers
  • A Return to Modesty: Discovering the Lost Virtue
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • The Woman's Comfort Book
  • Yes, Your Teen Is Crazy!: Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind
  • The Key to Your Child's Heart
  • The Self-Esteem Trap: Raising Confident and Compassionate Kids in an Age of Self-Importance
Harriet Lerner was born and raised in Brooklyn, New York, the second of two daughters. Her parents, Archie and Rose Goldhor, were both children of Russian-Jewish immigrant parents. They were high school graduates who wanted their daughters to "be someone" at a time when women were only supposed to "find someone."

"Achievement was next to Godliness for my sister, Susan, and me." Harriet notes. "My f
More about Harriet Lerner...
The Dance of Anger: A Woman's Guide to Changing the Patterns of Intimate Relationships The Dance of Intimacy: A Woman's Guide to Courageous Acts of Change in Key Relationships The Dance of Connection: How to Talk to Someone When You're Mad, Hurt, Scared, Frustrated, Insulted, Betrayed, or Desperate The Dance of Fear: Rising Above Anxiety, Fear, and Shame to Be Your Best and Bravest Self Marriage Rules: A Manual for the Married and the Coupled Up