Start by marking “Teaching Metaphors” as Want to Read:
Teaching Metaphors

Teaching Metaphors

Teaching Metaphors, Nathan Graziano s sixth collection of poetry, goes beyond the lesson plans and standardized tests to probe the humanity of the modern high school. An English teacher for the past decade, Graziano uses experience and wry wit to draw composites of faculty and students as both metaphor and microcosm. From a homecoming princess sacrificed on the stake of po ...more
Published June 7th 2007 by sunnyoutside

To ask other readers questions about Teaching Metaphors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Teaching Metaphors

Leah Angstman
Nov 06, 2008 Leah Angstman rated it really liked it
Mr. Graziano is the teacher you want teaching your kids. He's smart, witty, and aware of what's going on in the public school system today. What he's not is a

[...] glorified babysitter, zookeeper, or sick sexual predator [...]" (from the introduction),

and these pages exist to debunk the myth that public-school teachers aren't interesting, professional, hard-working, intelligent, important, or necessary individuals.

As the daughter of several generations of public-school teachers, I can tell you
Bryce Ian
Mar 22, 2016 Bryce Ian rated it really liked it
This collection of poems transcends poetry, in my opinion. It paints a picture of the crevices we might remember but forget to acknowledge in our everyday high school lives, student or faculty. It pretty much covers every dark corner. It tells a full story by illustrating the high school microcosm.
Craig
Mar 11, 2008 Craig rated it really liked it
I thought the book was excellent, though I am -admittedly - a fan of Graziano.

I think he did an excellent job of creating parallels between the student body poems and the faculty section. Overall, I felt that the poems on the students were more powerfully written, but the humor was definitely appreciated throughout the faculty section.
Rebecca
May 30, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I am probably bias, but Nate's one of my favorite poets! Teaching Metaphors is a must read--he captures the high school experience from an honest and witty perspective. As a high school teacher myself, I can not tell you how accurate the character portraits are.
Jimmy
Nov 17, 2010 Jimmy rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-authors
I can't help but wonder how some of the subjects felt about being included in this book. Some of the poems are right on the money about teaching.
Artistically Declined Press
Artistically Declined Press rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2014
Rusty
Rusty rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2007
Alan Catlin
Alan Catlin rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2008
Nicholas Cato
Nicholas Cato rated it it was ok
Jun 09, 2012
Raychel Rapazza
Raychel Rapazza rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2015
Noel
Noel rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2008
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2007
Keith
Keith added it
Jul 02, 2008
Jack
Jack marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2010
Nathan Graziano lives in Manchester, New Hampshire with his wife and children.
More about Nathan Graziano...