Start by marking “Palindrome” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,858 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
When both your past and future spell fear. Award-winning author Stuart Woods has crafted a masterful novel no reader will soon forget. For years, Liz Barwick has been battered by her brutal husband, a famous pro football player. This time it takes an emergency room to keep her from death. Now, the beautiful and talented photographer retreats to an island paradise off Geor ...more
Paperback
Published December 5th 1991 by HarperTorch (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Palindrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Palindrome

Cathy DuPont
Aug 27, 2013 Cathy DuPont rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one I like!
I reckon this will definately be my last Stuart Woods book. And I reckon I said that before but it was strongly suggested by a friend who knows that I loved his book Chiefs, which, by the way, was great.

As another reviewer put it, Woods sold out to the company, writing two books a year, none of which are a half way decent read. So I reckon you guys who read a lot will see through this one quickly. It was just bad and barely readable.

Enough said, don't have time to pan this book much. If you read
Frank Smith
Jun 06, 2015 Frank Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the story, plotline, characters setting and back history, but......
It did seem to pack a hell of a lot of one off events into a very short amount of time. I know all novels have to do it to an extent, but it did stretch belief the amount of 'one off' events that occur throughout the book.
The characters were believable for the most part, but there was a sub-plot involving two brothers that I thought was REALLY predictable. Still enjoyed reading on, but left me thinking less of the main
B.R. Stateham
Apr 14, 2014 B.R. Stateham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was excellent. A captivating read of a double mystery which, in the end, merges together for a very sad, but satisfying, conclusion.

My compliments to Stuart Woods. He was recommended tome by a fellow reader and I'm glad I picked the novel up to read. I think I might turn out to be a fan. Especially so if he can weave a complex plot in the next novel as he did in this one.

Gotta say, it's a wonderful feeling when you discover an author who writes this well.
Michelle
Nov 12, 2010 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since this is the first book I read by Woods, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I definitely didn't expect what 'Palindrome' delivered--it was great. It had all the things I look for in a book, great characters-- whom you're truly interested in, multiple story lines, wonderful plot twists, and the best of all when you--the reader--think you have it all figured out....nope you don't.

If you haven't read this book go and get a copy however you can, because you wont be disappointed! Great read and
Ashley
Jul 05, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only read a couple of Stuart Woods' stand alone books both of which I enjoyed. I do beieve that they were from earlier in his writing career before Stone became his cash-cow. (Don't get me wrong.. I devour most of the Stone novels, but I am looking for a fast, easy read to kill time in a doctor's office or somewhere)
I wasn't sure what to expect from this book ("White Cargo" took me several days to read and "Imperfect Strangers" took me a night.) Fast read? Plodding story line? I didn't ev
Tanya
Feb 12, 2012 Tanya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing like the book Under the Lake by Stuart Woods. After that book I read a lot of his books but recently stopped since it's the same plot book to book. This book was an older book and I was surprised I never read it. It was a good book but not many twists or turns. You knew right away who the killer was. It was an interesting twist with the twins but I wished he would've of gave more of a back round information on their story. Over all a good book that made me keep reading.
Lyndsy
Mar 13, 2012 Lyndsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is incredible. I like Stuart Woods' series books, but they get a certain routine to them after a while. This one, a standalone, is AMAZING. You spend a lot of time wondering if you have it right in your head, only to learn something new that makes you second-guess yourself.

You really get to know the characters as well, which is my favorite part of a story.
Kelsey Springer
Mar 31, 2016 Kelsey Springer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult-2016
This book represents the genre of mystery and suspense very well. It was such a page turner, I finished it within one night even though it has four hundred pages. It is a quick read because of the reaction you get from reading it. My heart was beating fast, my palms were sweaty, and I was super intrigued.

I liked that the story had two plot lines that were both suspense; Not only the story of the crazy husband trying to find his ex-wife to kill her, but the ex's wife new friends (the twins) rela
Negirlb152
Author - uses "I reckon" so many time in his books -
even if the character is a Harvard Grad!

UGH - I want to cross out every I reckon in his books..........
Lynn Pribus
Sep 11, 2015 Lynn Pribus rated it liked it
Although the paperback was new, the book was from 1991. A few dated bits such as the photographer checked out her transparencies on a light box. (I remember those days.)

Not as polished as later ones, the first part of the book is almost romance-novelish except for some violence and things were pretty predictable. Then there was some pretty ugly violence that jarrred a bit. And one real surprise at the end.

I'd thought perhaps Cumberland Island was a fictitious sea isle off the Georgia coast, but
Glen Spurlock
Review based on audio book.

This is the second time I visited Palindrome. The first was the traditional paper novel, which I enjoyed. But, maybe I enjoyed it because I grew up in the Piedmont Hospital neighborhood, and had camped on Cumberland Island.

The second time was an audio book that I listened to while walking in preparation to a hiking trip. I had several problems with the novel, this time.

First problem, was that maybe this should be called an alternative novel, since the plot deviates so
Whitney
Jun 30, 2009 Whitney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick beach read--a little cheesy for me
Sharon
Jan 10, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Liz Barwick manages to escape her violent husband, she is finally breathing easy on Cumberland. However, people from her past are dying in rather grisly ways ... even as she tries to reclaim her life with handsome Keir, one of the Drummond twins, whose father owns Cumberland.

The book is more than 20 years old, so some of the issues may feel a little dated. The suspense, however, is right on as we watch Baker Ramsay, Liz' ex, do everything he can to get revenge on her for leaving. The situat
Jeanne
Aug 26, 2014 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A good fast read. A famous football player is doing drugs to beef up his frame and he is also become a brutal wife beater. When his wife ends up in the hospital after a vicious beating, she files for divorce and goes into hiding. He will do anything to find her and kill her. After a series of killings that are linked to her, one detective believes her story that her ex-husband is the killer and goes about trying to prove his guilt. Will he be in time to save her?
Most of the story is set on an
Will
Jun 09, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adventure book lovers
Liz Barwick, Cumberland Island and split personalities. Liz Barwick is brutally attacked by her hyped-up NFL husband Bake Ramsey, and makes it to a hospital for surgical recovery. She enlists the assistance of cuthroat attorney Al Shaefer and her publisher Ray Ferguson to make a clean break from Ramsey and hides out on Cumberland Island to recover and start her new life. She becomes ensnared in the family web of the island's patriarch Angus Drummond, and soothes bad memories with his grandson Ke ...more
Sibyl
Mar 06, 2016 Sibyl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-read
I listened to this book on a long car trip and it was perfect - it made the time fly. On the other hand, it was a little silly, and a combination of totally predictable and completely incredible, sort of flying off in multiple directions, introducing characters to serve a tiny purpose, and then moving them off screen or just conveniently killing them off. Or having them eaten, but let's leave behind an unappetizing morsel (a clue!).
I am not familiar with this author, but, now, having read this
Wendy
Mar 17, 2015 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-rated
This is a quick, entertaining read. Not a lot of depth, but full of action. As one of Woods' older books, it appears it has been Kindle-ized after the fact and needs more editing. The dialogue breaks run together, and there are some faulty words. As a result, this e-book is a less-polished effort and the errors highlight some of the book's weaknesses.
Atmaja
Dec 28, 2014 Atmaja rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book is missing what I like in Crime thrillers, ‘the thought process of an investigator, who finally solves the mystery'. Besides detailed description of the crime scenes in the book made me feel sick.
Final twist in the story about ‘twins’ & the last few pages which has some element of suspense, deserve 2 stars (only) from my side..
Ashley Blanchette
This is a good beach read if you are looking for a thriller. Three stars reflects that it is dated and shows. Still kept my interest and gave me a surprise at the end that I didn't see coming. Follows two story lines: one of an abused woman, whose pro-football steroid using ex-husband will stop at nothing to get his revenge. And another as she escapes to a remote island that has family mysteries of its own!
Hilda Milliken
Mar 05, 2016 Hilda Milliken rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the best books Stuart Woods has written and I have read a lot of his books. All of the stone barrington serries and Holly barker.. the first one I read was "Chiefs" because I saw the film and thought the book might go farther with the story.. It did not. He does write great stories.
Gloria
A famous football player, a battered wife, lovely island, and puzzling murders converge in this suspenseful novel. On the mainland, there are several murders that a disenchanted police detective is trying to solve as well as save his own career. On the island live a complex family with secrets that reach far into the past. Liz Barlock, a beautiful and talented photographer, is the connection. While the reader is likely to connect the clues, this remains an entertaining read with a healthy dose o ...more
Tonya Lucas
May 09, 2016 Tonya Lucas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stuart Woods has a way of telling a story that grips the reader and asks them to hang on for the journey. Palindrome was a phenomenal suspenseful story that just kept giving. Liz Barwick's fight to stay alive at the hands of a dangerous ex-husband and begin a new life was riveting. Not only did she find seclusion, but she found way more. Home.
Peggy Doty
Jan 19, 2015 Peggy Doty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Stone Barrington , palindrome is a nice change

I gave this book 5 stars because first, I really enjoyed it. Second it was a little bit out of the norm for Stewart Woods . Enjoy the characters enjoyed the suspense , predictable however nicely so.
Sandy
Aug 11, 2016 Sandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up thinking it would be a great summer read. Bleck! I don't like books that are so ... blunt??? Not sure that's the right word. I didn't like the writing style at all and will not be attempting to read anything else by this author.
Lise
Mar 27, 2015 Lise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. I liked the plot, but it seemed to jump around a bit - like the author wrote a lot of detail about certain parts, then kind of glazed over other important plot points. Overall I liked it and will look for more of Woods' current works.
Ann Reed
Mar 16, 2014 Ann Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Palindrome

again,woods has surpassed himself.
a woman fleeing her past and steroid crazed husband ends up hiding while he kills everyone who helped her.
she winds up on a beautiful island where strange things happen also
Joanne Del Vecchio
Heartbreaking. And thrilling

i've never been disappointed by a Stuart Woods book. This kept my interest all the way through. Full of excitement and intrigue it is. My major compliment is that it is superblywritten.
Meakin
A really really good read with enough hints of reality to make it believable. Stuart Woods has a winner in this one. Lindsey's earlier review said she really got to know the characters in this book. She hit it dead on. That's so true.
Sharon
Jun 27, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a gripping story! From the opening, where a severely battered woman stumbles into the emergency room, to the end ... after 5 murders, a wild chase and an encounter with an alligator, it kept me riveted.
Rebecca
Oct 01, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick read that accompanied me to a pool one day on vacation and it was done by sundown. It was a bit predictable but I enjoyed it anyway. Perfect light reading!
  • Deadly Visions
  • 2 in the Hat
  • One Night Stands and Lost Weekends
  • Internecine
  • Lee Child Collection: Killing Floor, Echo Burning, The Visitor, Tripwire, Die Trying, Without Fail, Persuader, One Shot, The Enemy, The Hard Way, Bad Luck And Trouble (Jack Reacher, #1-11)
  • Watch Them Die
  • The Cats of Seroster
  • Stop This Man! (Hard Case Crime #58)
  • Torchwood: Slow Decay
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • All The Pretty Dead Girls
  • The Fire Baby (Philip Dryden, #2)
  • Savannah by the Sea
  • The Criminal
  • The Burning Man
  • Death, Snow, and Mistletoe (Tori Miracle, #4)
  • The Power of the Legendary Greek
  • Osprey Island
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...