Start by marking “Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses (Sue Barton, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses (Sue Barton, #5)

Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses (Sue Barton #5)

Sue marries Bill and becomes head of a small new nursing school; problems with Marianna and the other students, dissatisfaction with her job, and a rift in her marriage complicate Sue's life.
Published 1940 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses

Emily
It's been a year since I completed my Sue Barton reread, and it seems a pity that I didn't get around to recording my impressions of the later books, so this is a retroactive review, from fast-fading memory.

The fifth book in the series picks up about a year after the last one, and finds Bill and Sue as newlyweds jointly in charge (Sue on the nursing side) of a brand new hospital which had its genesis at the end of the book 4. Hospitals sure got built fast in those days! I had read this installme
chucklesthescot
I noticed with a groan that the plot on the back of the book featured yet another relationship crisis for Sue and Bill, AND she was doing a job that she doesn't like. I had a few reservations about this book and it turned out to be the poorest in the series.

Lets start with Bill and Sue. Bill is in a mood because Sue doesn't want to go fishing with him. Bill is in a mood because when he returns from fishing, Sue is more concerned about his bleeding hand than the big fish he has caught. Your wife
Audrey
Deborah
Nov 19, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This time, we see training to be a nurse from the supervisor's point of view, rather than the student's. Sue doesn't really enjoy it, but she's good at it nevertheless.

Really, though, the story is about Sue and Bill, and shows how a happy ever after actually requires quite a lot of work. Where many books end with a description of the wedding, this one starts with that description, as a flashback while Sue is nerving herself to start her new job; and although marriage seems all rosy contentment,
Maria Elmvang
Jan 13, 2008 Maria Elmvang rated it liked it
The foreshadowing in this series is getting out of hand. A little is fine, but I don't need a paragraph at the start of each chapter telling me what's going to happen in the chapter.

This was a very difficult book to read. I still enjoy the stuff happening at the hospital, but it had the sad sub-plot of how a married couple can fall apart... not through harsh words and mean actions, but simply because of misunderstandings that aren't handled in time, but allowed to grow large.
Anne Federwisch
Jul 04, 2009 Anne Federwisch rated it it was ok
No problem if you never read the other books in the series. The author spends a lot of time alluding to ALL of Sue's adventures from the previous three books. Which makes you wonder--why did she need three whole books to describe them originally. :-)

Not Boylston's best effort--perhaps because Sue does not really like being a superintendent of nurses, yet stays in the position three years.
Astrid Johanne
Lægens højre hånd er spændende, gribende og jeg var lige ved at fælde en tåre. Lægens højre hånd, følger tråden fra de andre bøger i serien, men kommer med noget fornyelse til serien. Lægens højre hånd er simpelthen bare fantastisk
Melissa
Jan 26, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-read-2015
Another cute book exploring the trials of the head of a nursing school. The writing was just as descriptive and well done as the others. I did feel the "problems" with Bill were a little funny and easily solved. It felt as if the book was filling time, months kept passing!
Vass
May 15, 2008 Vass rated it it was ok
Shelves: youngadult, medical
If I was Marianna, I'd want to kill Sue and Kit. And having run away, I would not have come back. 'Make something of her', ugh ugh ugh. Apart from that it was fine.
PWRL
Feb 14, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Virginia Childres
Virginia Childres rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2015
Emily Voss
Emily Voss rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2011
Joanie
Joanie rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2011
Betsy
Betsy rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2007
Cyd
Cyd rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
Katja
Katja rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2012
Linda HB
Linda HB rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2015
Joann Olson
Joann Olson rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Nov 23, 2010
Jina
Jina rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2014
Maddie Ongley
Maddie Ongley rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2014
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2012
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2009
Elsebeth
Elsebeth rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2016
Nadine
Nadine rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2013
Teresa Edmundson
Teresa Edmundson rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2017
Fluffychick
Fluffychick rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2014
Sue Lerner
Sue Lerner rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2013
Joanna Valtari
Joanna Valtari rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Lesley
Lesley rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Kissing Kin (Williamsburg, #5)
  • Gerald and Elizabeth
  • Peace Breaks Out
  • Desire and Duty: A Sequel to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
  • The Gap in the Curtain (Sir Edward Leithen #4)
  • Cherry Ames, Camp Nurse (Cherry Ames, #19)
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • The Paris Plot (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #6,5)
  • Harm's Way (Inspector Sloan #11)
  • Tarzan of the Apes, Three Complete Novels: Tarzan of the Apes/The Son of Tarzan/Tarzan at the Earth's Core (Tarzan, #1, #4, #13)
An only child, Helen Dore Boylston attended Portsmouth public schools and trained as a nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. Two days after graduating, she joined the Harvard medical unit that had been formed to serve with the British Army. After the war, she missed the comradeship, intense effort, and mutual dependence of people upon one another when under pressure, and joined the Red Cross to ...more
More about Helen Dore Boylston...

Sue Barton (7 books)
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
  • Sue Barton, Senior Nurse (Sue Barton, #2)
  • Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton, #3)
  • Sue Barton, Rural Nurse (Sue Barton, #4)
  • Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse (Sue Barton, #6)
  • Sue Barton, Staff Nurse (Sue Barton #7)