Start by marking “That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)” as Want to Read:
That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)

That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky #1)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  284 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Booky didn't know much about the reasons for the Great Depression. All she knew was that she was hungry all the time, that her parents fought constantly, that the bailiff would soon return to evict her family from their home. Worst of all, she knew that Christmas would be a time of empty stockings instead of presents under the tree, a time of mashed potatoes and turnips in ...more
Published 1985 by Scholastic (first published June 1981)

To ask other readers questions about That Scatterbrain Booky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Scatterbrain Booky

Gundula
Mar 29, 2015 Gundula rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves realistic historical fiction for children
First published by Scholastic, Canada in 1981, That Scatterbrain Booky by Bernice Thurman Hunter is the first novel of a trilogy featuring young Beatrice Thomson and her immediate and extended family's life and struggles during the hard days of Depression era Toronto (the other books of the trilogy are With Love From Booky and As Ever, Booky, and the entire trilogy has recently been rereleased as Booky: A Trilogy). From the information about Bernice Thurman Hunter as it is presented on Goodreads ...more
Kathryn
I loved this book about ten-year-old Beatrice and her family during the Great Depression in Toronto, Canada in 1932-33. It's "one of those books" about which I struggle to write an adequate review because I loved it so much, in so many ineffable ways. But, I wanted to get down a few (inadequate) words before I get too busy. I wish there were more reviews of this wonderful book here but I gather that it was never published in the US so the scarcity of reviews might be down to the fact this book i ...more
Nancy
This is a delightful book that I loved ever since I was a 10 year old kid. It's about another 10 year old girl growing up in Toronto during the 1930's (the depression years). The family has a lot of struggles but they always make it through somehow. The author makes everything so real that you must think it has to be based on some kind of true story. It is, an always be, a favourite of mine.
Lisa Vegan
I read this book in this omnibus edition: Booky: A Trilogy.

Thanks to Goodreads’ friends Gundula, I have a copy of this of my very own, which I am happy to lend out. Another Goodreads friend offered to let me borrow her copies of the three books. What a wonderful site this is! What’s infuriating and disappointing though is how many books from faraway, and not all that far away, places are sometimes not available. Yes, this book is old, but it’s reprinted, and yet it’s not available at my public l
Cynthia Hill
I have read this book (and the sequels) so many times since I was a kid, I've lost count. I understand it better every time, and it's all the more relevant today. Booky (Beatrice) Thompson is a 10 year old "scatterbrain" in 1932 Toronto. Her father is out of work, like so many other families she knows, and the family is constantly being evicted from their homes because of it (again, not uncommon.) Booky is incredibly endearing, and you really root for the family to make it through the Great Depr ...more
LauraW
I enjoyed this book for its honest depiction of the trials of family life during the depression. In its depiction of everyday life during historical times, it reminds me of Anne of Green Gables. The book is similarly episodic and filled with little vignettes of experiences.

And I enjoyed the main character, Beatrice. One minor gripe, though, is that I don't quite understand how she got the appellation "Scatterbrain". She seems to have had dyscalculia long before that was even beginning to have a
EvaEvaEva
My teacher read this book to us when I was in the 4th or 5th grade. I fell in love with it then, and still love it! I've read all the books in the Booky series, but obviously, the first one is the best. I always crawl into bed with this book and Anne of Green Gables when I'm sick. A must read.
Kimberly  O'Meara
Another story about a girl growing up poor in toronto during the depression. Read this and then read it to your pre teens daughters-they'll eat it up and get them off the Wii for a few minutes.
Meghan Moloney
This series basically formed my entire understanding of what it was like to live through the Great Depression in Toronto.
Jayme
Fun, quick read. A must for anyone who lives or grew up in Toronto.
B.j. Thompson
My husband showed me this book when we were cleaning up our bookshelves, and he told me he remembered reading it as a child. So I zipped through it because it isn't very often he recommends a book to me. Booky is a truly lovable child who is struggling to survive through The Great Depression with her family. Eviction notes, terrible choices, parental issues all play a part in this novel that tugged at my heartstrings. Great choice by my husband. I recommend this for young readers.
Erin
I first read this series when I was in the 6th grade and borrowed them many times from the school library. As soon as they appeared in Scholastic, my mom just had to buy them and I can easily say that they still mean something to me today as an adult. These books give a clear picture of just how hard life was like for a Canadian family during the Great Depression.
Lindsay Nichols
Funny, I remember liking Booky more when I was little...just reading again recently it didn't move me the way I thought it would. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood, or place, or I read too quickly...

I can't figure out if a lot of things happened, or nothing happened at all....
Lisa
I loved it because it takes place in Toronto and I know most of the streets and places mentioned. It was really neat to read about what Toronto was like during the Depression. It was like a history lesson, but way more interesting.
Ambika
This book was really good and I learned about the great depression, although at times I got a bit confused. I think this book was very cute because the book was at Booky's perspective and she said many cute things.
Jenna
read this as a kid- but i read the whole series like 8 times! About a girl growing up during the depression in Toronto (the author actually). i loved the local references.
Nancy
Reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn reminded me of this series. A wonderful portrayal of a child's life during depression era Toronto. Booky will steal your heart.
H
These were some of my favourite books when I was 8 or 10. I must have read the series about 20 times. Thanks Booky!
Rachel
My all time favorite book. Booky is one of my greatest inspirations in life.
Jill
It was really cute, for a kid's book! I'd recommend it for kids. :)
Theshanster
Neat that its set in Toronto.
Alexandra Cavanagh
Alexandra Cavanagh marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Tralala
Tralala marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Annemarie
Annemarie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Ema
Ema marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Goldie
Goldie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
  • The Belonging Place
  • The Sky Is Falling (The Guests of War Trilogy, #1)
  • The Hollow Tree
  • The War with Mr. Wizzle (MacDonald Hall, #4)
  • Cowboys Don't Cry (Cowboys Don't, #1)
  • Hero of Lesser Causes
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen
  • The Secret World of Og
  • Winter Cottage
  • Three Cheers for Me (The Bandy Papers, #1)
  • R My Name Is Rachel
  • To Trade the Stars (Trade Pact Universe, #3)
She was born in Toronto, Ontario, on November 3, 1922 and died May 29, 2002. She married her high school sweetheart, Lloyd Hunter, and had two children, Anita and Heather, and four grandchildren, Meredith, Lisa, Hunter and Franceline. No Greats.

Bernice was the middle child of 5 children (Wilma, Gordon, Bernice, Jack and Robert). She struggled in school because they moved so often. The Booky Tril
More about Bernice Thurman Hunter...

Booky (3 books)
  • With Love From Booky (Booky, #2)
  • As Ever, Booky (Booky, #3)
With Love From Booky (Booky, #2) As Ever, Booky (Booky, #3) Booky: A trilogy The Girls They Left Behind Amy's Promise (Phair Sisters, #1)