Start by marking “That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)” as Want to Read:
That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)

That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky #1)

Booky didn't know much about the reasons for the Great Depression. All she knew was that she was hungry all the time, that her parents fought constantly, that the bailiff would soon return to evict her family from their home. Worst of all, she knew that Christmas would be a time of empty stockings instead of presents under the tree, a time of mashed potatoes and turnips in ...more
Published 1985 by Scholastic (first published June 1981)

To ask other readers questions about That Scatterbrain Booky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Scatterbrain Booky

Manybooks
Nov 01, 2010 Manybooks rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves realistic historical fiction for children
Originally published by Scholastic, Canada in 1981, Bernice Thurman Hunter's sweet and evocative That Scatterbrain Booky is actually the first installment of a trilogy featuring young Beatrice Thomson and her immediate and extended family's life and struggles during the hard days of Depression era Toronto (the other books of the trilogy are With Love From Booky and As Ever, Booky, and the entire trilogy has also recently been rereleased as Booky: A Trilogy). From the information about Bernice Th ...more
Kathryn
Nov 09, 2010 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book about ten-year-old Beatrice and her family during the Great Depression in Toronto, Canada in 1932-33. It's "one of those books" about which I struggle to write an adequate review because I loved it so much, in so many ineffable ways. But, I wanted to get down a few (inadequate) words before I get too busy. I wish there were more reviews of this wonderful book here but I gather that it was never published in the US so the scarcity of reviews might be down to the fact this book i ...more
Nancy
May 16, 2009 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful book that I loved ever since I was a 10 year old kid. It's about another 10 year old girl growing up in Toronto during the 1930's (the depression years). The family has a lot of struggles but they always make it through somehow. The author makes everything so real that you must think it has to be based on some kind of true story. It is, an always be, a favourite of mine.
Lisa Vegan
I read this book in this omnibus edition: Booky: A Trilogy.

Thanks to Goodreads’ friends Gundula, I have a copy of this of my very own, which I am happy to lend out. Another Goodreads friend offered to let me borrow her copies of the three books. What a wonderful site this is! What’s infuriating and disappointing though is how many books from faraway, and not all that far away, places are sometimes not available. Yes, this book is old, but it’s reprinted, and yet it’s not available at my public l
Cynthia Hill
May 01, 2012 Cynthia Hill rated it it was amazing
I have read this book (and the sequels) so many times since I was a kid, I've lost count. I understand it better every time, and it's all the more relevant today. Booky (Beatrice) Thompson is a 10 year old "scatterbrain" in 1932 Toronto. Her father is out of work, like so many other families she knows, and the family is constantly being evicted from their homes because of it (again, not uncommon.) Booky is incredibly endearing, and you really root for the family to make it through the Great Depr ...more
LauraW
Mar 10, 2012 LauraW rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grades, owned
I enjoyed this book for its honest depiction of the trials of family life during the depression. In its depiction of everyday life during historical times, it reminds me of Anne of Green Gables. The book is similarly episodic and filled with little vignettes of experiences.

And I enjoyed the main character, Beatrice. One minor gripe, though, is that I don't quite understand how she got the appellation "Scatterbrain". She seems to have had dyscalculia long before that was even beginning to have a
Erin
Nov 02, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
I first read this series when I was in the 6th grade and borrowed them many times from the school library. As soon as they appeared in Scholastic, my mom just had to buy them and I can easily say that they still mean something to me today as an adult. These books give a clear picture of just how hard life was like for a Canadian family during the Great Depression.
EvaEvaEva
Sep 01, 2008 EvaEvaEva rated it it was amazing
My teacher read this book to us when I was in the 4th or 5th grade. I fell in love with it then, and still love it! I've read all the books in the Booky series, but obviously, the first one is the best. I always crawl into bed with this book and Anne of Green Gables when I'm sick. A must read.
Kimberly  O'Meara
Jan 31, 2008 Kimberly O'Meara rated it it was amazing
Another story about a girl growing up poor in toronto during the depression. Read this and then read it to your pre teens daughters-they'll eat it up and get them off the Wii for a few minutes.
Meghan Moloney
Jun 09, 2011 Meghan Moloney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This series basically formed my entire understanding of what it was like to live through the Great Depression in Toronto.
Jayme
Mar 04, 2010 Jayme rated it liked it
Fun, quick read. A must for anyone who lives or grew up in Toronto.
Kristal
Mar 24, 2016 Kristal rated it it was amazing
An amazing firsthand account of the author's childhood living in Toronto during the depression. It may be catalogued as "young adult fiction" but I have read this at least once a year since the first time I picked it up at the age of 9 and the stories only seem to resonate more as I age (and certainly since I moved to Toronto at age 22). This book truly makes me smile, cry and cringe at the various misadventures of Booky and her family.
Do not watch the terrible tv movies that have recently been
B.j. Thompson
May 19, 2014 B.j. Thompson rated it liked it
My husband showed me this book when we were cleaning up our bookshelves, and he told me he remembered reading it as a child. So I zipped through it because it isn't very often he recommends a book to me. Booky is a truly lovable child who is struggling to survive through The Great Depression with her family. Eviction notes, terrible choices, parental issues all play a part in this novel that tugged at my heartstrings. Great choice by my husband. I recommend this for young readers.
Lisa
Jul 31, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
I loved it because it takes place in Toronto and I know most of the streets and places mentioned. It was really neat to read about what Toronto was like during the Depression. It was like a history lesson, but way more interesting.
Lindsay Nichols
Funny, I remember liking Booky more when I was little...just reading again recently it didn't move me the way I thought it would. Perhaps I wasn't in the right mood, or place, or I read too quickly...

I can't figure out if a lot of things happened, or nothing happened at all....
Ambika
This book was really good and I learned about the great depression, although at times I got a bit confused. I think this book was very cute because the book was at Booky's perspective and she said many cute things.
H
Mar 22, 2012 H rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hedder-s-favs
These were some of my favourite books when I was 8 or 10. I must have read the series about 20 times. Thanks Booky!
Nancy
Dec 31, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn reminded me of this series. A wonderful portrayal of a child's life during depression era Toronto. Booky will steal your heart.
Jenna
Aug 10, 2012 Jenna rated it really liked it
read this as a kid- but i read the whole series like 8 times! About a girl growing up during the depression in Toronto (the author actually). i loved the local references.
Jill
Sep 11, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Shelves: dont-own
It was really cute, for a kid's book! I'd recommend it for kids. :)
Rachel
Apr 05, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite book. Booky is one of my greatest inspirations in life.
Theshanster
Sep 04, 2012 Theshanster rated it really liked it
Neat that its set in Toronto.
Renate
Renate rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2012
Jessica Pendergast
Jessica Pendergast rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Jul 17, 2013
Twyla Knight
Twyla Knight rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2014
Rina
Rina rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2017
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2014
H
H rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
  • Little by Little: A Writer's Education
  • The Sky Is Falling (The Guests of War Trilogy, #1)
  • Hero of Lesser Causes
  • I Want to Go Home!
  • Cowboys Don't Cry (Cowboys Don't, #1)
  • The Hollow Tree
  • Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang
  • How I Spent My Summer Holidays
  • Three Cheers for Me (The Bandy Papers, #1)
  • Mme Proust and the Kosher Kitchen
She was born in Toronto, Ontario, on November 3, 1922 and died May 29, 2002. She married her high school sweetheart, Lloyd Hunter, and had two children, Anita and Heather, and four grandchildren, Meredith, Lisa, Hunter and Franceline. No Greats.

Bernice was the middle child of 5 children (Wilma, Gordon, Bernice, Jack and Robert). She struggled in school because they moved so often. The Booky Tril
More about Bernice Thurman Hunter...

Booky (3 books)
  • With Love From Booky (Booky, #2)
  • As Ever, Booky (Booky, #3)