Start by marking “Northfield: A Western Story (Five Star Western Series)” as Want to Read:
Northfield: A Western Story (Five Star Western Series)

Northfield: A Western Story (Five Star Western Series)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Five Star Western
Published June 1st 2007 by Five Star (ME)

To ask other readers questions about Northfield, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northfield

Shaina
I love the writing style! Each chapter is told from a different person's perspective. Sometimes they overlap so that you really get a feel for what happened in, before, and after the James/Younger gang attempted to rob the bank in Northfield, MN. The book is short enough to hold your attention throughout, but had enough details to make you feel like the author was there doing interviews of everyone involved. All in all it was very well researched and set out in a very readable and enjoyable mann...more
Beth
I really enjoyed this western about the James/Younger robbery attempt in Northfield. Every chapter is told by a different character, some outlaws, some lawmen or townspeople. I found it fascinating that the author could make me feel empathy and even like Cole Younger and even Frank James, part of me was rooting for them to get away even when they deserved to be caught and put in prison for what they did. Anyone who is looking for a great western would enjoy this book.

update: I just visited Nort...more
Jessica
Interesting account of the Jesse James gang's defeat in Northfield, MN. I liked how the book didn't tell the story from an omniscient narrator, but from the point of view of many different characters. I liked that the same scene could be viewed from one character and then another, it made it seem more real. I also liked that it's not a necessarily well known incident (well, to me at least), but that it is really based in history. I am told, by my friend that went to college in Northfield, the to...more
Rachel
As others have said....unique way of storytelling. Each chapter spoken by a person either indirectly or directly involved with the Northfield Bank Robbery and murder.
At times I had a bit of trouble keeping up with who was who with the 8 outlaws... they used different names; nicknames.... I could not understand how the Younger/James gang were "heroes"..... No different 100 years ago than today where women write letters to and marry jailed killers... strange concept, but a good book.

Eric
It took a little bit to get going and it took me a little time to get used to the various (many) different styles of "speaking" in the book. Each chapter is written from a different person's perspective, which slowed me down some. In addition, the perspectives included the person's speaking style which made adjusting imperative.

Overall the book was OK... the book is relatively short (compared to the other books I have read recently).
Mrs.b
I think this was one of the first books that I read on my new Nook! While I truly enjoyed the historical accuracy (my dad would totally dig this story), the locations and plot twists were difficult to follow. I made a lot of connections to a movie that was about the brothers, so this helped. I think it also helped that I read this book up at the cabin...nothing like a rustic setting to read some American History.
Emily
At first I wasn't really sure I was going to like this book, but as I got into it started to flow better. There is something about having one event told by many different views. You heard from the outlaws and from the people they came in contact with. It was about Jesse James and his "gang" and a bank robbery that went bad. *Warning* there is some language through out this book.
Izzie
This book was interesting. It follows the James-Younger band through their disastrous bank robbery in Northfield, Minnesota but each chapter is from the view point of a different character involved, whether bank robber or innocent bystander. This could make for a good book for a high school English class or even History class.
Dina
Westerns are not my genre, but Jesse James is a fascinating historical character, so I decided to try this book. I really enjoyed it. I liked the constantly changing point of view, and I felt the author did a great job installing personality into each character, even when that character only told one chapter.
Erik
I really liked this book. I live about 15 miles North of Northfield and have always been intrigued by the history of the town. I liked how the book changed vantage points during the story and I also liked hearing the story from some of the townspeople and farmers the James gang had contact with.
Carlos Mendoza
I rather liked the style of telling the events from many different 1st-person perspectives. Of course, much of it was entirely fictionalized. Boggs changed up the narrative style to match the storytellers', which kept it interesting, without also being repetitive.
John Price
One of the best books I have read in some time.

I found the telling of this story, which most of us already know, from the view of many of its participants very interesting and entertaining.

I look forward to reading more of Johnny D. Boggs works.
Coalbanks
Clear, concise, good characterization, sets the scene & atmosphere, does not over dramatize, could have been better with contemporary photos but overall a good read & better than others on the subject.
Barb B
A very interesting read...much different than the conception of the Northfield bank robbery by Jesse James and his gang. More in depth about their participation, the injuries, and lives after the event.
Susan
I am not much of a western fan, but I loved this book. It is written in the tradition of the Lonesome Dove series, and it is written equally as well. This is an excellent read.
Sue
Short interesting book about the Jesse James bank robbery in Northfield. I really didn't know much about it even though I grew up 10 miles from Northfield. I enjoyed it.
Beth
Well, I read three chapters (my rule before I put a book down) before confirming that yep, I'm not a Western kind of girl. The writing was good...it's just not the genre for me.
Lesli
Meh. Westerns just aren't my thing, unfortunately. Not to mention I didn't like the multiple first-person chapters. Too many perspectives and voices to remember.
Nan
A look at the Great Northfield Minnesota Bank Raid, told through multiple viewpoints of those involved -- robbers, lawmen, and everyday citizens. Very engaging.
RollingT
I really enjoyed the story and the author brought the era to life. I assume the charactrerization were close to real. A very good story.
Steve
An excellent retelling of the Northfield robbery by the James-Younger gang, told from an interesting set of perspectives.
Lori
This was a freebie on the Nook, but I enjoyed reading it, and learned quite a bit about Jesse James and his ilk.
Robert Weeks
I really liked the way this book went from each characters view. A very interesting book and very enjoyable.
Suzanne
Interesting story of the James-Younger gang's robbery in Northfield, MN.

Janet Dawson
Terrific account of the abortive Northfield, MN bank robbery.
Gabriella
Gabriella marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Elizabeth Barter
Elizabeth Barter marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
  • Hunt at the Well of Eternity (Gabriel Hunt, #1)
  • The Glades
  • A Nail Through the Heart (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #1)
  • Weddings Can Be Murder
  • Kell's Legend (Clockwork Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • Hour of the Hunter (Walker Family, #1)
  • The Front Porch Prophet
  • Billy Boyle (Billy Boyle World War II, #1)
  • The Hunters
  • Stories Behind the Best-Loved Songs of Christmas
  • Crush (Karen Vail #2)
  • Chinatown Beat
  • Dark Legacy
  • Winston's War (Winston Churchill #1)
  • County Line
  • Grace (Virtue, #1)
Johnny D. Boggs is a Spur- and Wrangler Award-winning author of the American West and frontier. Born in 1962, Boggs grew up on a farm near Timmonsville, South Carolina, around the old stamping grounds of Revolutionary War hero Francis Marion (chronicled in his frontier novel The Despoilers). He knew he wanted to be a writer at an early age. He lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico with his wife, Lisa Smit...more
More about Johnny D. Boggs...
The Big Fifty Camp Ford: A Western Story South by Southwest: A Western Story The Killing Shot West Texas Kill