Start by marking “Monster” as Want to Read:
Monster

Monster

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,774 Ratings  ·  618 Reviews
Reed Shelton organized this survival weekend. Hired the best guide in the region. Meticulously trained, studied, and packed while encouraging his wife, Beck, to do the same. But little did they know that surviving the elements would become the least of their worries.

During their first night of camping, an unearthly wail pierces the calm of the forest. Then someone - no, so
Published 2007 by WestBow Press (first published April 12th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Monster, please sign up.

Rebecca Not really scary. More bloody in parts and suspenseful. It's not enough to give you nightmares but, I would read in daylight. Lol
Wood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseTagged by Joseph M. ChironAnissa's Redemption by Zack LoveThe Syrian Virgin by Zack LoveSex in the Title by Zack Love
Amazing Reads
53rd out of 191 books — 119 voters
Ripple by Tui AllenWatership Down by Richard AdamsLife of Pi by Yann MartelWhite Fang by Jack LondonThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Animal Stories
106th out of 165 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Braxton
Apr 21, 2011 Braxton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at the library without knowing anything about it other than the title and the plot as described on the jacket. They should really mention that it is christian fiction somewhere on the jacket. I got roughly half way through the book when it occurred to me that the Christianity was being poured on a little thick. I looked into who the author was and it turns out he is a writer of christian fiction. I wasted my time reading half of a book I never would have touched, because it ...more
Conrad
May 15, 2009 Conrad rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I mercifully forgot I read this book until I looked at Elizabeth's book list, or maybe I was just ashamed to admit to my Goodreads friends that I actually completed it. If Peretti wants to cram his version of Christianity down our throats (evolution does not exist, etc.) using non-existent animals as a plot device, he should publish a disclaimer to that effect, in very large type, on the front cover. What a waste of time.
Joanna
Dec 05, 2009 Joanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually enjoy Frank Peretti's books, but found this one a bit different... took me awhile to "get into" it. But, towards the middle, and especially the end of the book, it is very hard to put down! The writing can be a bit gruesome at times, but is not too "over the top". Without wanting to spoil the plot, I appreciate the premise of the book: "Left to his own devices, man will always create a monster!" I tend to agree with that... except I would add: especially when man leaves God out of the ...more
Christy
Adam K.
Dec 06, 2010 Adam K. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Peretti. A lot. Especially when he's dealing with spiritual warfare. He quite literally wrote the book on how the supernatural Christian thriller is done with his Darkness books. This one doesn't fall in the same vein. Not every book can be a writer's magnum opus. Sometimes he just writes an entertaining diversion. Nothing wrong with that. Peretti's frenetic pacing (I use that word as a compliment) is on display here, and the pages turn by themselves. The only problem is that the hook isn ...more
Chris Perry
Wow, wow and double WOW's!!!! In retrospect this book was not that scary, but when reading it you will say otherwise. What I thoroughly enjoyed was the build-up; this book was made to be read in either one sitting (cause you can't put it down), or you spend several nights reading it. The plot, the ideas, just the imagination and the research that had to go into making this book draw you into it at a much deeper level than I have in any other Peretti fictional piece.

I was amazed and I think that
Chy
Jan 28, 2009 Chy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Jill Williamson
Oct 14, 2009 Jill Williamson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beck is not thrilled to be taking this survival weekend with her husband Reed. She isn’t a big fan of the outdoors, but Reed thinks a wild camping adventure is just the thing to cure her of her nervous stutter. During their first night of camping, a horrifying wail pierced the night. Then something emerges in the darkness and chases them through the forest. The last thing Reed sees is a huge, hairy creature carrying his wife away into the night.

The next morning, a rescue party sets out to track
Eric Shaffer
Up against the library wall, with no other viable audiobook choices, I selected this book. The writing is melodramatic and silly, but what made me like it was the reading by the author, who comes across as the narrator from the movie A Christmas Story on speed and tequila. When the poor stuttering heroine speaks, our reader makes it obvious that you are glad to not have been in the recording studio with him because the spit was certainly flying. When the Sasquatch groans, cries, sings, or scream ...more
Mel Campbell
What did I just read?!? I picked this up in an op-shop about a year ago and have only just got around to reading it, so until recently I was innocent of the fact it is a CHRISTIAN BIGFOOT NOVEL.

Nowhere on the front or back cover is Peretti's God-bothering mentioned. Only when I read the review quotes on the first page did it begin to dawn on me that he is "the king of the faith-based fiction genre" and "the world's hottest writer of spiritual thrillers". (I had to LOL that they included the NYT
Catfantastic
Jun 17, 2012 Catfantastic rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In some ways, knowing what kind of book it is, I can forgive him getting the science really, really, egregiously, catastrophically wrong. He at least consulted an "expert" who had a vested interest in steering him badly. But he also gets universities wrong, hilariously so, and there's no reason not to have cleared that up with a little research.
Courtney
Dec 06, 2015 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beata
Oct 30, 2013 Beata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Christian thriller about MONSTERS! Another one of my favorites by F. Peretti! Reading this author is like watching a good movie! It's so easy to visulize every scene! And what a captivating page-turner this book is! Enough of mystery and suspense to keep me up half of a night!
Hobby
Setelah menyelesaikan bacaan “House” ( kolaborasi Frank Peretti & Ted Deker ) yang rilis bersamaan waktunya, dengan hasil penuh kekecewaan akan sebuah ekspetasi tinggi dari maestro thriller ini, maka diriku tak berharap banyak dari kisah berikut ini. Perlu diketahui bahwa novel ini merupakan karya pertama sang penulis setelah vakum hampir 6 tahun lamanya ( tercantum di dalam halaman pengantar oleh penerbit ), maka kembali diriku berharap dengan cemas, apakah kisah ini mampu mengembalikan day ...more
CluckingBell
Jun 18, 2015 CluckingBell rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-stars
I saw this browsing my library’s new ebook offerings and thought it sounded good and scary. After downloading the book, I learned it fell into the "Christian fiction" genre. Not being too sure what that meant in practical terms, but nonetheless pretty sure I was not the target audience, I figured it ultimately didn’t matter as long as the book delivered. And it did prove a pretty decent, fast-paced read, though not the thrill-ride I’d hoped given a title like Monster and the rousing reviews.

To r
Tamara Rose Blodgett
May 31, 2011 Tamara Rose Blodgett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Peretti, one of the most famous Christian novelists, sure knows how to write a brilliantly-paced, roller coaster ride of a book! Having heard great things about this author along with reading an earlier work, The Present Darkness, I gave Monster a try. The earlier novel, which was steeped in Christian theology and genre, is a contrary work to Monster that explores the popular myth of Bigfoot, also known as Sasquatch.

Reed and Beck Shelton, a happily married couple where the extroverted husband,
Dennis Sharpe
I first read Peretti’s work (This Present Darkness & Piercing the Darkness) when I was in school. I think it was 1989. I really liked the way he told a story. It really gave you a sense of watching events unfold in more than one location concurrently. I admired that ability in his storytelling, and picked up this book expecting no less.

Well, that was about all that I was happy to find present in this book. To say that this isn’t a good example of Peretti’s work is being generous.

This book wa
Samantha
I like how this book ended. I like when the stutter of Beck had gone and she seemed more mature after all what happened. And the mad scientist, I guess he deserved what happened to him. And the Sasquatch, I guess we all have feelings. We just show it in different ways but I guess I begun to love those creatures and imagining what if I was in the place of Beck?Would I be brave enough to pass those tragedies? Seems like I lived in another world.

But honestly I had a hard time finishing this book.
AlegnaB
3.4 -- Although I've read some very old horror classics lately, I don't usually read horror. I decided to try this for the scary category of a reading challenge. It was the fourth book I tried for that, and it was closer to being scary than anything else I read, including Bram Stoker's Dracula. This was quite good and better than I expected. I liked the suspense in it.
Kathrynn
Dec 09, 2007 Kathrynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a stand alone book and not really a horror, but I can't think of another category. Christian-Horror because it deals with Bigfoot or sasquatch--an entire family of them.

Reed, who is handsome and loves his shy and prone to stuttering wife, Beck, decides they need to get out in the wilderness for fresh air. While camping, they are attacked by a "pack" of sasquatch. Beck, learns how to communicate with the creatures. I enjoyed the toilet paper scene. :-)

There is some horror here in that th
Janet
Jan 28, 2008 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-reading
This wasn't Peretti's best but it is entertaining and for people who enjoy a good mystery, adventure it's a fun ride. I love the way Peretti writes to give you a sense of simultaneous events.

If you are a busy person this is a great book to pick up as well because each chapter has a logical stopping point so you can mark your place and come back readily. Tho' it is pretty exciting and you may not want to do that.

He sure did a great job of creating the atmosphere in which this took place. You actu
Izabella Borowiak-Miller
This was ok. Not my style. I got into it for awhile until it turned into a bigfoot book.
B.  Barron
Apr 21, 2011 B. Barron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
A damn good book. Sure, he’s a tad preachy about his anti-evolutionism – and frankly his conclusions don’t track with the story all that much; but honestly they are an aside to a pretty decent story. Actually my biggest complaint is that it’s a bit formulaic, all of the major characters survive while a large number of the peripheral characters dies. I find that a bit of writing cowardice.

But having Sasquatches on the run from a killer genetically-altered chimp – that’s pretty damn creative! So o
Ruth
May 08, 2010 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Wonderful, keeps-you-up-till-all-hours-of-the-night, your heart racing, kind of book. As a writer, I was trying to analyze why it was so good. I'm not a reader of suspense in general, so I wasn't even that interested in finding out about the threat (the monster, in this case). I was more interested in the cast of characters, and that's where Peretti's talent lies (of course, he weaves a wonderful story as well). But he made me care about the characters--and this is not even a character-driven no ...more
Dorothy Bandusky
This is a very exciting book. Within the first few pages, the suspense starts mounting and you don't want to put it down. The characters are well developed and are easy to root for.
The fear level is astonishingly high and very well portrayed. Also, just when you think you know how it ends, the author adds another twist, leaving the reader excited and very pleased that it isn't over yet.

I also particularly enjoyed the conversations with scientists. They were very informative... and at times, qui
Brianna Pierce
Mar 07, 2016 Brianna Pierce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kyle Johnson
Dec 02, 2015 Kyle Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book monster is a very good read for people who like suspense and a little thrill. This book has a lot of both, but mostly suspense. Some people have asked me is it is scary; you do not have to be worried about getting scared at all. There are some slow parts in the book, but they also have lots of information in it to read. The book is a little long but if you like long you are set. I will tell you a little about the book, but I promise I will not give any big spoilers. In the book there is ...more
Patrick Gibson
I picked this book up when I saw the dark, foreboding jacket—and the back promising the tale of a terrifying monster that will stop at nothing to terrorize the Idaho hills. Unaware of the author’s Christian credentials, I can honestly say I came into this one with a completely open mind. But, I am pretty sure this will be my one and only venture into Perettiland.

The first 50-60 pages are very suspenseful...until the author starts telling parts of the story from Beck's (who has been kidnapped by
Diane
Nov 16, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the unabridged audio version of this book and there are some things an author shouldn't do and in this case Frank Peretti shouldn't have read his own book. He was a bit too dramatic where drama wasn't needed.

That being said; the story was good. Reed Shelton and his wife Beck were going to a survival camping trip. Beck had a stutter and didn't get out a lot. She was self conscious. Reed being a strong, out going type thought it would be good for his wife.

Enter the Big Foot, Sasquat
Robert Gilbert
May 10, 2014 Robert Gilbert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My wife asked me to read this book so we could discuss it. She is not a Peretti fan, but has been into cryptozoology and especially bigfoot since she was a kid. Though we both liked the story, I speak for both of us when I ask this question:

Who in their right mind, living in the Pacific Northwest, goes into the woods--into known bear county--without adequate means of self defense? Especially somebody in law enforcement. I know people who have to carry a sidearm when walking between outbuildings
HIGH ON HORROR: WHICH MONSTER ARE YOU? 55 36 Aug 01, 2014 07:54AM
  • Burn
  • Comes a Horseman
  • Plague Maker
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg
More about Frank E. Peretti...

“Comfort can be a dangerous thing. You stick around home all the time where it’s safe and nothing ever changes, and before you know it, you get set in your ways and you quit learning, you quit changing, you don’t grow anymore.” 144 likes
“Staying alive is nice, but you can’t do that forever. It’s how you live the life you have while you have it.” 61 likes