Start by marking “Monster” as Want to Read:
Monster

Monster

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  13,722 ratings  ·  536 reviews
Reed Shelton organized this survival weekend. Hired the best guide in the region. Meticulously trained, studied, and packed while encouraging his wife, Beck, to do the same. But little did they know that surviving the elements would become the least of their worries.

During their first night of camping, an unearthly wail pierces the calm of the forest. Then someone - no, so
Published 2007 by WestBow Press (first published April 12th 2005)

Tagged by Joseph M. ChironThe Children of Gavrilek by Julie Kirton ChandlerThe Eyes of the Heart by Richard A. Hackett Jr.Everything - The untold story of the Rich Young Ruler by Richard A Hackett JrThe God Complex by Chris Titus
Amazing Reads
35th out of 151 books — 78 voters
Ripple by Tui AllenWatership Down by Richard AdamsLife of Pi by Yann MartelThe Call of the Wild by Jack LondonJonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach
Animal Stories
87th out of 137 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Braxton
I picked this book up at the library without knowing anything about it other than the title and the plot as described on the jacket. They should really mention that it is christian fiction somewhere on the jacket. I got roughly half way through the book when it occurred to me that the Christianity was being poured on a little thick. I looked into who the author was and it turns out he is a writer of christian fiction. I wasted my time reading half of a book I never would have touched, because it ...more
Christy
Husband and Wife go on a hiking trip that she is less than thrilled about. When they hike up to the cabin they are supposed to meet their friend at, they find the place ransacked. Nervous that the place might have been burglarized, they camp out a ways from the cabin hoping their friend is just a little late. In the night they hear strange sounds and run from some kind of screaming animal. She gets abducted by these animals and soon finds out they are the closet thing to they mythical (or so she ...more
Conrad
I mercifully forgot I read this book until I looked at Elizabeth's book list, or maybe I was just ashamed to admit to my Goodreads friends that I actually completed it. If Peretti wants to cram his version of Christianity down our throats (evolution does not exist, etc.) using non-existent animals as a plot device, he should publish a disclaimer to that effect, in very large type, on the front cover. What a waste of time.
Brenna{#1 Hg Fan!}
Movie Rating: PG-13 for scary images and gore
Book Rating: 5/5 stars
Swearing: None
Inappropriate scenes: None
Genre: Science Fiction
# of pages: 353 (hardcover)
Publisher: Westbow
LLFTB*: "That man will try to be God and they will fail every time."

My Review:

Wow. Um....Wow. This book is one of the best thrillers of a lifetime! I loved the message that Peretti put in this book. I was reading some reviews and saw that a lot of people hated this book because it stood against what they believed, but let me
Joanna
I usually enjoy Frank Peretti's books, but found this one a bit different... took me awhile to "get into" it. But, towards the middle, and especially the end of the book, it is very hard to put down! The writing can be a bit gruesome at times, but is not too "over the top". Without wanting to spoil the plot, I appreciate the premise of the book: "Left to his own devices, man will always create a monster!" I tend to agree with that... except I would add: especially when man leaves God out of the ...more
Adam K.
I like Peretti. A lot. Especially when he's dealing with spiritual warfare. He quite literally wrote the book on how the supernatural Christian thriller is done with his Darkness books. This one doesn't fall in the same vein. Not every book can be a writer's magnum opus. Sometimes he just writes an entertaining diversion. Nothing wrong with that. Peretti's frenetic pacing (I use that word as a compliment) is on display here, and the pages turn by themselves. The only problem is that the hook isn ...more
Chy
Eric Shaffer
Up against the library wall, with no other viable audiobook choices, I selected this book. The writing is melodramatic and silly, but what made me like it was the reading by the author, who comes across as the narrator from the movie A Christmas Story on speed and tequila. When the poor stuttering heroine speaks, our reader makes it obvious that you are glad to not have been in the recording studio with him because the spit was certainly flying. When the Sasquatch groans, cries, sings, or scream ...more
Catfantastic
In some ways, knowing what kind of book it is, I can forgive him getting the science really, really, egregiously, catastrophically wrong. He at least consulted an "expert" who had a vested interest in steering him badly. But he also gets universities wrong, hilariously so, and there's no reason not to have cleared that up with a little research.
Beata
Christian thriller about MONSTERS! Another one of my favorites by F. Peretti! Reading this author is like watching a good movie! It's so easy to visulize every scene! And what a captivating page-turner this book is! Enough of mystery and suspense to keep me up half of a night!
Jill Williamson
Beck is not thrilled to be taking this survival weekend with her husband Reed. She isn’t a big fan of the outdoors, but Reed thinks a wild camping adventure is just the thing to cure her of her nervous stutter. During their first night of camping, a horrifying wail pierced the night. Then something emerges in the darkness and chases them through the forest. The last thing Reed sees is a huge, hairy creature carrying his wife away into the night.

The next morning, a rescue party sets out to track
Hobby
Setelah menyelesaikan bacaan “House” ( kolaborasi Frank Peretti & Ted Deker ) yang rilis bersamaan waktunya, dengan hasil penuh kekecewaan akan sebuah ekspetasi tinggi dari maestro thriller ini, maka diriku tak berharap banyak dari kisah berikut ini. Perlu diketahui bahwa novel ini merupakan karya pertama sang penulis setelah vakum hampir 6 tahun lamanya ( tercantum di dalam halaman pengantar oleh penerbit ), maka kembali diriku berharap dengan cemas, apakah kisah ini mampu mengembalikan day ...more
CluckingBell
I saw this browsing my library’s new ebook offerings and thought it sounded good and scary. After downloading the book, I learned it fell into the "Christian fiction" genre. Not being too sure what that meant in practical terms, but nonetheless pretty sure I was not the target audience, I figured it ultimately didn’t matter as long as the book delivered. And it did prove a pretty decent, fast-paced read, though not the thrill-ride I’d hoped given a title like Monster and the rousing reviews.

To r
Tamara Rose Blodgett
Peretti, one of the most famous Christian novelists, sure knows how to write a brilliantly-paced, roller coaster ride of a book! Having heard great things about this author along with reading an earlier work, The Present Darkness, I gave Monster a try. The earlier novel, which was steeped in Christian theology and genre, is a contrary work to Monster that explores the popular myth of Bigfoot, also known as Sasquatch.

Reed and Beck Shelton, a happily married couple where the extroverted husband,
Dennis Sharpe
I first read Peretti’s work (This Present Darkness & Piercing the Darkness) when I was in school. I think it was 1989. I really liked the way he told a story. It really gave you a sense of watching events unfold in more than one location concurrently. I admired that ability in his storytelling, and picked up this book expecting no less.

Well, that was about all that I was happy to find present in this book. To say that this isn’t a good example of Peretti’s work is being generous.

This book wa
Kathrynn
This is a stand alone book and not really a horror, but I can't think of another category. Christian-Horror because it deals with Bigfoot or sasquatch--an entire family of them.

Reed, who is handsome and loves his shy and prone to stuttering wife, Beck, decides they need to get out in the wilderness for fresh air. While camping, they are attacked by a "pack" of sasquatch. Beck, learns how to communicate with the creatures. I enjoyed the toilet paper scene. :-)

There is some horror here in that th
Chris Perry
Wow, wow and double WOW's!!!! In retrospect this book was not that scary, but when reading it you will say otherwise. What I thoroughly enjoyed was the build-up; this book was made to be read in either one sitting (cause you can't put it down), or you spend several nights reading it. The plot, the ideas, just the imagination and the research that had to go into making this book draw you into it at a much deeper level than I have in any other Peretti fictional piece.

I was amazed and I think that
Dorothy Bandusky
This is a very exciting book. Within the first few pages, the suspense starts mounting and you don't want to put it down. The characters are well developed and are easy to root for.
The fear level is astonishingly high and very well portrayed. Also, just when you think you know how it ends, the author adds another twist, leaving the reader excited and very pleased that it isn't over yet.

I also particularly enjoyed the conversations with scientists. They were very informative... and at times, qui
Janet
This wasn't Peretti's best but it is entertaining and for people who enjoy a good mystery, adventure it's a fun ride. I love the way Peretti writes to give you a sense of simultaneous events.

If you are a busy person this is a great book to pick up as well because each chapter has a logical stopping point so you can mark your place and come back readily. Tho' it is pretty exciting and you may not want to do that.

He sure did a great job of creating the atmosphere in which this took place. You actu
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
A damn good book. Sure, he’s a tad preachy about his anti-evolutionism – and frankly his conclusions don’t track with the story all that much; but honestly they are an aside to a pretty decent story. Actually my biggest complaint is that it’s a bit formulaic, all of the major characters survive while a large number of the peripheral characters dies. I find that a bit of writing cowardice.

But having Sasquatches on the run from a killer genetically-altered chimp – that’s pretty damn creative! So o
Ruth
May 08, 2010 Ruth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Wonderful, keeps-you-up-till-all-hours-of-the-night, your heart racing, kind of book. As a writer, I was trying to analyze why it was so good. I'm not a reader of suspense in general, so I wasn't even that interested in finding out about the threat (the monster, in this case). I was more interested in the cast of characters, and that's where Peretti's talent lies (of course, he weaves a wonderful story as well). But he made me care about the characters--and this is not even a character-driven no ...more
Hannah Barton
I nabbed this book up while I was combing through the shelves of my local library. I was looking for something to help me coast through my recent Steven King addiction I had found myself in and 'Monster' seemed like it might do just the trick. The introduction on the front flap of the book seemed promising so I checked it out and went along my marry way with my new adventure clutched in my hands. Unfortunately, by the time the return date came out, the luster was complete drained from my eyes an ...more
Robert Gilbert
My wife asked me to read this book so we could discuss it. She is not a Peretti fan, but has been into cryptozoology and especially bigfoot since she was a kid. Though we both liked the story, I speak for both of us when I ask this question:

Who in their right mind, living in the Pacific Northwest, goes into the woods--into known bear county--without adequate means of self defense? Especially somebody in law enforcement. I know people who have to carry a sidearm when walking between outbuildings
Athena
I have mixed feelings about this one. I liked it, but at the same time, it annoyed me. Don't get me wrong, it was a page turner. Even though there were elements to this book that bugged me, I still wanted to know how it ended, so I didn't stop until it was over. I was very happy with the ending, but for most of this books midsection I was wishing it would be over soon. Parts of it were difficult for me to understand, but the author spelled out what I was missing as the story progressed. I liked ...more
Peter Last
An excellent book from Frank Peretti, this included everything from action, to intrigue, to cover ups, to...well...monsters. Once again Peretti does as excellent job of showing humans at their best and their worst. It's an excellent novel which demonstrates just how far people will go to prove that something (like big foot) is true.

Monster included enough plot twists to keep the story interesting though not so many as to muddle the story line. I never saw the twist at the end coming though it wa
N.R. Eccles-Smith
Really enjoyed the writing style, the pace, the location and author's talent of creating a perfectly atmospheric element to the story. There were quite a few characters to keep tabs on, though I was able to successfully follow along without getting confused or misplaced.
A really great read!
Hannah Norman
I was expecting a lot more from such an established author. I felt as though an idea came to him and he just ran with it, no matter how jumbled it all seemed. I felt as though he could have done a lot with this story, but instead decided to rush through it. He could have made it more suspenseful (a la Gone Girl style) and not shown that Beck was alive until the end. There also seemed to be a lot of people that were not crucial to the story that were somewhat thrown in.

I was excited to read a
Nike Chillemi
Peretti writes so simply, it takes you by surprise.

Of course, I read the book for it's mystery. However, I'm a huge animal lover and the author got into the emotions of the great beasts in this book in a way that touched me.

Kevin
Spoiler Alert: I love, love, love , love this book. Oh, did I mention my fondness for this book? The only part I didn't like was when the scientists tried to make the creature "evolve" by reshaping its' feet. No sane evolutionary biologist would try to have a living organism evolve in its' lifetime. Young earth creationists, however, will probably eat that up.
Now, what I did like about the book. The characters were interesting, especially the main protagonist. Her character development was well
Keiki Hendrix
Long awaited book from Frank Peretti. I have enjoyed many of his previous novels and looked forward to the supernatural aspect but was a bit disappointed.

A great read, though, in my opinion, not his best work.
HIGH ON HORROR: WHICH MONSTER ARE YOU? 56 36 Aug 01, 2014 07:54AM
  • Sinner (Paradise, #3)
  • Comes a Horseman
FROM HIS WEBSITE:
With more than 12 million novels in print, Frank Peretti is nothing short of a publishing phenomenon and has been called “America’s hottest Christian novelist.”

Peretti is a natural storyteller who, as a youngster in Seattle, regularly gathered the neighborhood children for animated storytelling sessions. After graduating from high school, he began playing banjo with a local blueg
More about Frank E. Peretti...
This Present Darkness (Darkness, #1) Piercing the Darkness (Darkness, #2) The Oath House The Visitation

“Comfort can be a dangerous thing. You stick around home all the time where it’s safe and nothing ever changes, and before you know it, you get set in your ways and you quit learning, you quit changing, you don’t grow anymore.” 126 likes
“Staying alive is nice, but you can’t do that forever. It’s how you live the life you have while you have it.” 57 likes