Start by marking “Jessi and the Dance School Phantom (The Baby-Sitters Club, #42)” as Want to Read:
Jessi and the Dance School Phantom (The Baby-Sitters Club, #42)

Jessi and the Dance School Phantom (The Baby-Sitters Club #42)

Jessie receives threatening phone calls after obtaining the lead in her dance school's latest ballet.
Published 1991 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Jessi and the Dance School Phantom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jessi and the Dance School Phantom

Dawn and the Impossible Three by Ann M. MartinBaby-Sitters on Board! by Ann M. MartinThe Ghost at Dawn's House by Ann M. MartinClaudia and the Phantom Phone Calls by Ann M. MartinKristy's Big Day by Ann M. Martin
Favorite Baby-sitters Club Books
53rd out of 64 books — 10 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussMadeline's Rescue by Ludwig BemelmansHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Books That Made My Childhood
71st out of 98 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Ciara
Sep 21, 2010 Ciara rated it it was ok
jessi lands the lead role of princess aurora in her dance school's production of "sleeping beauty". of course she does. because she's just that good. even though she's eleven years old. at the first rehearsal (which seems to be just jessi's regular dance class, with all her regular classmates, but they're studying the steps to the dance instead of general form & practice--i don't understand), jessi's toe shoes go missing. she has to slink into the studio barefoot, but she can't even really p ...more
Hester Rathbone
Jun 26, 2012 Hester Rathbone rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home
I feel almost embarrassed admitting this but every now and then, when I'm tired of reading my "adult" books or I'm just not feeling the books on my bedside table, I'll wander over to the stack of paperbacks that I have up for trade on PaperbackSwap.com and pull off one of those to read. Nearly all of them are BSC books. I grew up reading these stories and loving these characters. I've read almost the entire series and amassed quite a collection of books over the years. After going to the ballet ...more
Jenn
Jul 22, 2013 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc
Didn't we already have this storyline? Jessi gets the lead in the ballet and someone is threatened by her talent? Are we already out of fresh plots and starting to repeat? I hope not! At the end of class, Jessi finds out she will be playing Princess Aurora and all the other girls are jealous. Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "My god, these are awful things, someone could get (even more) seriously hurt. I hope Jessi calls on her baby-sitting friends to help her solve this mystery ...more
Shira
Apr 08, 2016 Shira rated it did not like it
this is my first time reading this book!

in the primary (terrible) plotline of this book, ghost-written by ellen miles, jessi once again gets the starring role in her school's upcoming ballet performance, and once again the other girls are upset about it. seriously, this is tired already. anyway, someone keeps trying to sabotage her ability to perform. turns out that it's exactly who she suspects and nothing interesting or mysterious really happens. in the secondary (terrible) plotline of this bo
Swankivy
Jul 11, 2014 Swankivy rated it did not like it
Another mystery with contrived happenings. Jessi gets a great part in the ballet show again and all of a sudden she's on the receiving end of mean pranks and evil notes. She has this strange perception that her ballet teacher would just think she's a whiner if she were to, oh, report that she's getting NOTES THAT SAY "BEWARE" WRITTEN IN BLOOD-RED INK and HER DANCE OUTFIT RETURNED TO HER CUT TO PIECES, so she sets about figuring out the mystery on her own (with her Nancy Drew wannabe friends, the ...more
Julie Decker
Jul 11, 2014 Julie Decker rated it did not like it
Jessi gets the best part in the upcoming dance recital, but her elation turns to trepidation when someone starts harassing her. With threatening notes being left in blood-red pen and her dance clothes being stolen and cut to pieces, Jessi wonders if excelling is really worth all this risk, and worries that she may be in real danger. Can she and the babysitters figure out who's behind it?

This mystery plot was utterly unbelievable for me, for two main reasons: One, if someone is receiving "beware"
Cristin
When I was a little kid, I remember loving this one. At the time, I fancied myself a sort of sleuth--I loved mysteries. There was also something about being limber and able to dance that appealed to me, especially since (despite the fact that I read this when I was about eight or nine, and should have been more flexible than Gumby) I was about as flexible as a 90 year old man with a wicked case of arthritis...

Now that I've gone on that embarrassing detour...I'll stop writing.
Rebecca McNutt
May 30, 2015 Rebecca McNutt rated it it was ok
As this series went on, the books started getting to the low point in their legacy, and it seems that they were being written as quickly as possible to make fast cash every month or so. This one was unoriginal, boring, filled with choppy sentences and there was a disturbingly limited amount of vocabulary considering the target age range.
Maria Camp
Nov 26, 2015 Maria Camp rated it liked it
Interesting, but predictable.

I enjoy Jessi's ballet stories, but the mystery aspect was not complex.

Still a fun story.
Lisa
Mar 21, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it
So goofy and so fun. Jessi gets the lead role in the Sleeping Beauty ballet (surprise!) And someone starts sending her threatening notes and destroying her stuff.. which she chooses NOT to report, lest she look like a whiner.
In top of this startling mystery, the BSC run a pet show. But the kids if Stoneybrooke start fighting about which pets they will enter, and who will win the prize.
How can the babysitters handle this??
Seriously - I spent my day writing a report about the importance of layout
April
Mar 16, 2013 April rated it really liked it

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Rachel Brand
I was quite pleased to discover that this wasn't about an actual phantom, but some girl who was jealous of Jessi's part in the ballet production. Although I now realistically know that I will never become the prima ballerina of my eleven-year-old dreams, I still quite enjoy Jessi's books. However, this isn't among one of my favourite BSC books and is, like #44, blatantly ghostwritten. Some of these books just don't have their charm when you read them for the first time as an adult. 8/10
Rachel
Jan 18, 2010 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot I had started this book.... While I was really sick, I picked it up again and finished it. As a series, I don't think the BSC holds up as well for me as an adult as it did for me as a child. Still, it IS addicting, and the characters are infectiously engaging, so perhaps I will finish the series afterall.
Maria Elmvang
Last time I read this I rated it 4 stars, but I have to take one off this time. For real, WHY do they not involve adults? They even have PROOF this time!

I still enjoy reading about ballet though, but the secondary plot line (about the pet show) bored me.
Sally
Apr 29, 2009 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, bsc
I usually liked the Jessi stories, and I also usually like ballet stories in general, but this one... gah, she got on my nerves. And also, guys, you're KIDS. TELL THE ADULTS FFS.
Justine
May 16, 2010 Justine rated it really liked it
This book is really good. I recommend it to all Babysitters' Club fans.
Nancy
Jan 04, 2014 Nancy rated it did not like it
Shelves: rereading
In which someone tries to kill Jessi but tragically fails.
Dana
Nov 13, 2014 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
super fun super cute and SUPER nostalgic
Moriah Baxster
Jan 11, 2008 Moriah Baxster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens
I would never like to take dance class
Cws
Paige
Paige rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Trista
Trista marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Amanda Robbins
Amanda Robbins marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Patricia Mann
Patricia Mann rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Jesse...the Token Black BabySitter??? 1 4 Jul 12, 2012 11:33AM
  • Three's a Crowd (Sweet Valley Twins, #7)
  • Starlight Christmas (Saddle Club, #13)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 132 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)