Start by marking “Jessi and the Dance School Phantom (The Baby-Sitters Club, #42)” as Want to Read:
Jessi and the Dance School Phantom (The Baby-Sitters Club, #42)

Jessi and the Dance School Phantom (The Baby-Sitters Club #42)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  774 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Jessie receives threatening phone calls after obtaining the lead in her dance school's latest ballet.
Published 1991 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Jessi and the Dance School Phantom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jessi and the Dance School Phantom

Ciara
jessi lands the lead role of princess aurora in her dance school's production of "sleeping beauty". of course she does. because she's just that good. even though she's eleven years old. at the first rehearsal (which seems to be just jessi's regular dance class, with all her regular classmates, but they're studying the steps to the dance instead of general form & practice--i don't understand), jessi's toe shoes go missing. she has to slink into the studio barefoot, but she can't even really p ...more
Hester Thorpe
I feel almost embarrassed admitting this but every now and then, when I'm tired of reading my "adult" books or I'm just not feeling the books on my bedside table, I'll wander over to the stack of paperbacks that I have up for trade on PaperbackSwap.com and pull off one of those to read. Nearly all of them are BSC books. I grew up reading these stories and loving these characters. I've read almost the entire series and amassed quite a collection of books over the years. After going to the ballet ...more
Jenn
Didn't we already have this storyline? Jessi gets the lead in the ballet and someone is threatened by her talent? Are we already out of fresh plots and starting to repeat? I hope not! At the end of class, Jessi finds out she will be playing Princess Aurora and all the other girls are jealous. Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "My god, these are awful things, someone could get (even more) seriously hurt. I hope Jessi calls on her baby-sitting friends to help her solve this mystery ...more
Swankivy
Another mystery with contrived happenings. Jessi gets a great part in the ballet show again and all of a sudden she's on the receiving end of mean pranks and evil notes. She has this strange perception that her ballet teacher would just think she's a whiner if she were to, oh, report that she's getting NOTES THAT SAY "BEWARE" WRITTEN IN BLOOD-RED INK and HER DANCE OUTFIT RETURNED TO HER CUT TO PIECES, so she sets about figuring out the mystery on her own (with her Nancy Drew wannabe friends, the ...more
Julie Decker
Jessi gets the best part in the upcoming dance recital, but her elation turns to trepidation when someone starts harassing her. With threatening notes being left in blood-red pen and her dance clothes being stolen and cut to pieces, Jessi wonders if excelling is really worth all this risk, and worries that she may be in real danger. Can she and the babysitters figure out who's behind it?

This mystery plot was utterly unbelievable for me, for two main reasons: One, if someone is receiving "beware"
Cristin
When I was a little kid, I remember loving this one. At the time, I fancied myself a sort of sleuth--I loved mysteries. There was also something about being limber and able to dance that appealed to me, especially since (despite the fact that I read this when I was about eight or nine, and should have been more flexible than Gumby) I was about as flexible as a 90 year old man with a wicked case of arthritis...

Now that I've gone on that embarrassing detour...I'll stop writing.
Dana
super fun super cute and SUPER nostalgic
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Rachel Brand
I was quite pleased to discover that this wasn't about an actual phantom, but some girl who was jealous of Jessi's part in the ballet production. Although I now realistically know that I will never become the prima ballerina of my eleven-year-old dreams, I still quite enjoy Jessi's books. However, this isn't among one of my favourite BSC books and is, like #44, blatantly ghostwritten. Some of these books just don't have their charm when you read them for the first time as an adult. 8/10
Rachel
I forgot I had started this book.... While I was really sick, I picked it up again and finished it. As a series, I don't think the BSC holds up as well for me as an adult as it did for me as a child. Still, it IS addicting, and the characters are infectiously engaging, so perhaps I will finish the series afterall.
Maria M. Elmvang
Last time I read this I rated it 4 stars, but I have to take one off this time. For real, WHY do they not involve adults? They even have PROOF this time!

I still enjoy reading about ballet though, but the secondary plot line (about the pet show) bored me.
Sally
I usually liked the Jessi stories, and I also usually like ballet stories in general, but this one... gah, she got on my nerves. And also, guys, you're KIDS. TELL THE ADULTS FFS.
Justine
This book is really good. I recommend it to all Babysitters' Club fans.
Nancy
In which someone tries to kill Jessi but tragically fails.
Moriah Baxster
Jan 11, 2008 Moriah Baxster rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tweens
I would never like to take dance class
Cws
Kerri
Kerri added it
Oct 23, 2014
Rhianna Neel
Rhianna Neel marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Rommy
Rommy added it
Oct 19, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Sati Marie Frost
Sati Marie Frost marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Debs
Debs added it
Oct 14, 2014
Jesse...the Token Black BabySitter??? 1 4 Jul 12, 2012 11:33AM
  • Psychic Sisters (Sweet Valley Twins, #70)
  • Face-Off! (Girl Talk, #2)
  • Starlight Christmas (Saddle Club, #13)

More about Ann M. Martin...
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray A Corner of the Universe The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)