Start by marking “Taming Your Gremlin” as Want to Read:
Taming Your Gremlin

Taming Your Gremlin

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  89 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Through the powerful metaphor of the gremlin, presented imaginatively in writing and in artwork by Novie Rogers, the author demonstrates ways to identify and banish the tenacious, self-defeating aspects of personality.
Published January 1st 1900 by Harpperen

To ask other readers questions about Taming Your Gremlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taming Your Gremlin

Sid Johnson
Dec 24, 2015 Sid Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: box-19
This book has been sitting on my to-read shelf for about 20 years. I just pulled it out and read it, and was blown away by how it is able to communicate so much psychoeducation in such a user-friendly, understandable format. As a therapist, I've ordered copies for most of my clients, as the book covers so much of what we work on and discuss regularly. Personally, I found wisdom in it that I can integrate into my life. I also really appreciated the Zen philosophy underlying it all. I am wondering ...more
Sharon
May 30, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: nonfiction
This little book is packing with perpetual learning. That is, taming your gremlin will be a life-long task but not necessarily an unpleasant one.

Here's what I think: If you read this thin book quickly without absorbing it fully, you may not get much out of it, or you'll forget what you learned. I read it slowly because I grasped from the outset that I'd miss something if I didn't. I soaked up the theories and ideas, suggestions and information and pondered it. More than that, I will read it aga
Drew West
Nov 08, 2015 Drew West rated it liked it
A fast and easy read with moderate value. This short self-help has an ambiguous title, but is in essence a beginner's guide to mindfulness. The Gremlin described is the "inner-critic"; the narrative that we grapple with internally which is far more often than not unhelpful and unhealthy. The book is (intentionally) silly, with strange, abstract cartoons filling the pages, while making quite apparent the presence of the author's voice, sarcasm, and occasional non-supported personal beliefs. (Quot ...more
Jan 15, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite "self-help." I lend it out all the time.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
Feb 01, 2010 Linda Branham Greenwell rated it it was amazing
A funny way to look at your "issues"
Monica
Sep 08, 2012 Monica rated it it was amazing
In a world of moreness and muchness, simplicity is like a light shining through to reach the core inside us so that we can see the essence of ourselves and the world a little more clearly again.

This deceptively simple book conveys clearly and powerfully the self-doubts that we often face - in the form of a gremlin. Most of us live lives with recurring thoughts of "should be", "should have", "I am not good/beautiful/smart/kind/professional enough". It never ends - unless we choose it.

I have read
Douglas Lord
Nov 29, 2015 Douglas Lord rated it it was amazing
Carson, a psychotherapist, is humorous, concise, and incisive in his approach to personal happiness. A quick read and a classic, now available in a 2009 revised Kindle edition.

Find reviews of books for men at Books for Dudes, Books for Dudes, the online reader's advisory column for men from Library Journal. Copyright Library Journal.
Clare
Jun 16, 2014 Clare rated it really liked it
Recommended by a coach many years ago, I initially scoffed at the idea I "needed" such a book but have to come clean and say it was one that changed my life. I used to keep a stock of them in my office to give to clients; now I recommend they buy their own! Recommend highly, even to the sceptical.
Peter
Aug 24, 2014 Peter rated it really liked it
Two hours to read, with content that you can never truly 'get', but probably worth re-reading once a year.
Mugen
Sep 14, 2015 Mugen rated it liked it
Much theory, little action.
Ruby
Apr 04, 2015 Ruby rated it really liked it
Shelves: 30-books-in-2015
I really enjoyed this book but I am a bit prudish and found the story around his teenage thoughts for a girl unnecessary (but that's just me lol) Otherwise a great read
Kathelijne
Kathelijne marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Matthew Forzan
Matthew Forzan marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Sally Coiner
Sally Coiner marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Sam Leverton
Sam Leverton marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Kristian Hall
Kristian Hall rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Holly Long
Holly Long rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Gerda Laubscher
Gerda Laubscher is currently reading it
trina
trina rated it it was amazing
Raghavy
Raghavy marked it as to-read
Mr. J M H Anyon
Mr. J M H Anyon rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Mayur Wadhwa
Mayur Wadhwa marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Nathan Andren
Nathan Andren rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Ariana Continanzi
Ariana Continanzi marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Snow
Snow marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Co-Active Coaching: New Skills for Coaching People Toward Success in Work and, Life
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High-performance Coaching Culture
  • Coaching: Evoking Excellence in Others
  • Soul Coaching: 28 Days to Discover Your Authentic Self
  • Coaching Questions: A Coach's Guide to Powerful Asking Skills
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • The Emotional Incest Syndrome: What to do When a Parent's Love Rules Your Life
  • The Power of Self-Coaching: The Five Essential Steps to Creating the Life You Want
  • Control Theory: A New Explanation of How We Control Our Lives
  • The Life Coaching Handbook: Everything You Need to be an Effective Life Coach
  • The Gospel of Inclusion: Reaching Beyond Religious Fundamentalism to the True Love of God
  • Coaching with NLP: How to be a Master Coach
  • The Simple Abundance Companion: Following Your Authentic Path to Something More
  • On Becoming an Artist: Reinventing Yourself Through Mindful Creativity
  • The Artist's Way Every Day: A Year of Creative Living
  • Taming Your Gremlin: A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way
  • The Answer to How Is Yes: Acting on What Matters