Seven Alone

Seven Alone

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The epic journey of the Sager children by covered wagon from Missouri to Oregon in 1848.
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published June 1977 by Scholastic (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Alone

CLM
My fourth grade teacher read this enthralling story of the Oregon Trail to our class, and everyone listened attentively, some even crying at the sad bits. For me, it was also the first book that inspired research - I remember going to the well stocked school library immediately after Miss Barnes finished reading to find a book about Narcissa Whitman. Unfortunately, I was devastated when I found out what had happened to her, but there's biography for you - no guaranteed happy ending.

Honore Morrow...more
Ginny Messina
This was NY Times columnist Nicholas Kristof's list of favorite children's books, which he published earlier this year. I hadn't heard of it before that. Written in 1926, it tells the true story of seven children who make their way west in the 1940s after their parents have died. It wasn't clear from the jacket copy that this was based on fact, but it does become obvious as the story unfolds.

I visited the Whitman Mission near Walla Walla, WA just last year so it was fun to see the important rol...more
Lisa
This is as gripping a pioneer story as I've ever read. It's based on the true story of the Sager family, who left Missouri for Oregon in the 1840s, decades before Laura Ingalls Wilder's family made their famous journey west. The Sagers weren't as lucky as the Wilders... both on the trail, and afterward. Having read the Wikipedia entry on the family, I'm now almost wishing I hadn't read the book.
Rowena
I have this book as "The Splendid Journey", picked it up in a jumble sale, hard cover. What a lovely surprise. A Children's book that is historical, full of adventure, and has many points to discuss or think about along the way. I loved it and look forward to reading it with my daughter - even though it is much more aimed at boys!
Alicia
I loved this true story of a 13-year-old boy whose parents both die on the Oregon Trail, and he gets his 6 younger siblings (including a newborn baby) safely to Oregon. Incredible story.
Bob
I am reading this to the class, although the name of the book is different. On to Oregon is the story of the Sager family.
Valerie
Fair warning: this is a harrowing book. This is probably the first book I ever read that had graphic and accurate descriptions of frostbite, for example.

I can't say whether, at the end, I felt that the ordeals the children went through were worthwhile. I think, for example, of the story of the Burke and Wills expedition North across Australia. When Burke and Wills failed to rendezvous with their relief expedition, they joined a family of aboriginals. If they hadn't left the band, they might very...more
Gale
We'll Make it There--at all Costs!

This book reads easily as we focus on 13-year-old John Sager of Missouri, who comes of age with grim immediacy on the Oregon Trail. Tall for his age but disappointingly immature and bratty, John reacts with sulky silf-pity and arrogant defiance when desciplined by his father on the plains. After a fruitless and embarrassing attempt to run away ere boy (as if a mere boy could make it on his own), John is rescued by the legendary Kit Carson and restored to his fr...more
Melissa
I first read this book under the title of "Seven Alone" around 1977 and it so captured my imagination that I felt compelled to read it again now, as an adult.

"On to Oregon" or "Seven Alone" is the fascinating true account of the 7 Sager children, orphaned on the Oregon Trail in 1844, who chose to continue the perilous journey without their parents. Led by the oldest brother, 13 yr old John Sager, the Sager children continued an additional 1000 miles of the trail, mostly alone and mostly on foot...more
Mary
I remember seeing this movie most likely on the Wonderful World of Disney that we watched most Sunday nights. I then bought the book through Scholastic - that was always a big day for me when we got the Scholastic book order forms at school! Anyway, I must have read this book a dozen times as a child. I just reread it and it still fascinates me that this group of kids traveled alone as far as they did along the Oregon Trail and made it to Oregon. And this was with a newborn! I got teary and got...more
Pamela Adkins
This was a wonderful book!
T
Their father thought the trip to Oregon would be fun but it turns out that both mother and father are dead. The oldest brother insists on bringing the whole family to Oregon. Facing the dangers of the trail with his six brothers and sisters. Alone! I like this book because it showed the expedition of a boy and how you could survive, if you had to that is!
Anna Wanderer
I saw this book on a list of The Best Children's Books Ever in the New York Times and it sounded great! It is an exciting adventure of a real family starting out on the Oregon Trail around 1844 but this version is only very loosely based on the true story. Check out The Stout-Hearted Seven if this is a story you are interested in.
Teri
Jun 24, 2008 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
I read this wonderful true account of the 7 Sager children who walked approx 7000 miles to the Whitman Mission in Walla Walla, WA, just an hour and 15 min from us. If you haven't read this book or the Shallow Grave To Waiilatpu, you are missing out. There is also a DVD about this remarkable family of children.
Sheila
As a child, I liked this book because it amazed me that kids could be as resilient as they were in this story. Many exciting/scary things happened to the children in this family as they crossed the plains by themselves in 1844; but it also has it's share of sadness. My daughter is reading it now and enjoying it.
Reader
It is a book about a famliy that moves to oregon for a better living, along with all of their kids (about seven). On the trip, the mother and father die and the oldest, John,is responsible for his little brother and sisters and to complete the trip his father had planned.
Marion
I remember really liking this book when I was in late elementary school and studying the Oregon Trail.
Sierra
this book is great. It makes history fun to learn about.The characters are great, and it is unbelievable on what these children had to go through!
Mary
Great childrens novel about a family on the Oregon Trail. Was made into a Disney made for tv movie in the 70's.
Mr. Graham
Very fascinating true Oregon Trail story. Worth the read.
Amy
A great pioneer story.
Hannah Anderson
I love this book!
Slumbering Rose
Slumbering Rose marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Laura Williams
Laura Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Bound for Oregon
  • Thursday's Child
  • Vlad the Impaler: The Real Count Dracula
  • Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia, and Alaska
  • Daniel Boone: The Life and Legend of an American Pioneer
  • Lion Adventure
  • Tucket's Travels: Francis Tucket's Adventures In The West, 1847-1849 (The Tucket Adventures, #1-5)
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Cankered Roots
  • Patty Reed's Doll: The Story of the Donner Party
  • The Conquerors (Winning of America Series)
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • The 13th Floor: A Ghost Story
  • Voices after Midnight
  • The Forgotten Door
  • Florence Nightingale, 1820-1910
  • Skeletons
  • George Washington's Breakfast
Born in Ottumwa, Iowa in 1880, Morrow went on to graduate with a history degree from the University of Wisconsin. She then married Henry Willsie and moved to Arizona, publishing her first novel, "Heart of the Desert", in 1913 and working as editor of women's magazine The Delineator from 1914-1919. She divorced Willsie in 1922 and remarried a year later to William Morrow, a publisher, who died in 1...more
More about Honoré Willsie Morrow...
Splendor of God The Enchanted Canyon The Heart of the Desert; (Kut-Le of the Desert) Great Captain, Three Lincoln Novels: Forever Free, with Malice Toward None and the Last Full Measure Mary Todd Lincoln an Appreciation of the Wife of Abraham Lincoln