Start by marking “The Invention of Morel and Other Stories, from La Trama Celeste” as Want to Read:
The Invention of Morel and Other Stories, from La Trama Celeste

The Invention of Morel and Other Stories, from La Trama Celeste

This collection includes the title novella plus the following stories:

"In Memory of Pauline"
"The Future Kings"
"The Idol"
"The Celestial Plot"
"The Other Labyrinth"
"The Perjury of the Snow"

Also included is a prologue by Jorge Luis Borges and illustrations by Norah Borges de Torre, sister of Jorge Luis Borges.

Regarding the title novella: Jorge Luis Borges declared The Inv
Published September 28th 1985 by University of Texas Press (first published 1964)

Be the first to ask a question about The Invention of Morel and Other Stories, from La Trama Celeste

Jim
Mar 12, 2015 Jim rated it it was amazing
I have always loved the work of Argentinian author Jorge Luis Borges. Toward the last three decades of his life, during which he became totally blind, he collaborated with Adolfo Bioy Casares on several collections of stories. His collaborator was also known for his own novels and short stories, perhaps the best known (at least in the English-speaking world) of which appear in The Invention of Morel and Other Stories, from La Trama Celeste.

His most famous work is the novelette "The Invention of
Mmars
Aug 17, 2012 Mmars rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thus far, I have only read the novella "Invention of Morel." My rating for that is 5 stars. However, I don't think it would not be prudent to give book 5 stars without reading it in its entirety.

Also, I would have preferred to read the NYBR translation, but it was unavailable and I cannot speak for how well this is translated.

From here on my review will """"""""""CONTAIN SPOILERS"""""""""""""""" and I think it the less you know, the better read this novella is. So turn away, dear reader, read
Edward
Mar 08, 2009 Edward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Edward by: Joachim Horvitz
Shelves: fantasy, sf
The narrator of this story has escaped some sort of pursuit and inhabits a small, abandoned island. A group of visitors appears one day sending him into hiding. He watches their routine comings and goings and develops a strong attraction to one of them. This beautiful woman is often seen in the company of the man named "Morel."

Without revealing his presence, he tries to discover how and why his mysterious visitors made their sudden appearance. As he proceeds, he falls more in love with the unat
Troy
Jan 03, 2010 Troy rated it really liked it
I'd heard a lot about this book. I heard that it was inspired by the author's obsession with Louise Brooks. I heard that it was the inspiration for Last Year at Merinbad. I heard that it was deeply influential to a generation of Latin American writers. I heard that it is a dreamlike precursor to magical realism. But what I heard, as usual, wasn't right - or it was only partially right - this book is it's own trip. It's different from Last Year..., magical realism, Borges and other S. American wr ...more
the gift
this is the edition of 'invention...' i have read, not the nyrb, but i do not know if they are different translations...
Hal
Mar 06, 2017 Hal rated it really liked it
It starts off awfully slow, but picks up. I also thought "In Memory of Pauline" was fabulous.
Chuck Kollars
Jun 24, 2016 Chuck Kollars rated it really liked it
(I read the main story only, not the other stories in the last half of this volume)

(definitely much shorter than a "novel" [or even a "chapter book"], but significantly longer than what we think of as a "short story" nowadays too - probably cannot be read all in one sitting)

Reread, mainly to refresh my memory. Same reaction as the first time: rolicking good, highly imaginative and somewhat philosophical story, told in sophisticated (yet simple) literary language.

As the events require a fair amo
Shauna Mahana
Aug 22, 2008 Shauna Mahana rated it liked it
The main character has some serious mental roller coasters and his emotions flip on and off with the tiniest little provcations. Understandably so at times, but it can me a little frustrating when he goes ballistic over nothing.

Beside that point, this story, and those following it, are definitely going to catch you off-guard. I especially thought the short story about the statue and seals very trippy.

Some have likened this to "The Island of Dr. Morreu" in that it takes place in an isolated 'aren
Nam
Apr 28, 2008 Nam rated it liked it
Shelves: just-read
Had never heard of this author until recently.
Adolfo was a close friend of Borges and his writing is in that tradition of Latin American mystical realism..
The stories are basically normal and everything about them seems typical except for undercurrents of unexplained dread or other mysterious phenomenon. However, eventually the events are explained and the answer or causal solution is always something from left field.
Many of the characters are writers, poets or dilettantes.

My favorite of the st
Bob
Aug 17, 2008 Bob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-literature
A fantastic collection of stories from the famous Argentinian writer and sometime collaborator of Jorge Luis Borges (I personally like his writing better than that of Borges). The title story of the collection, THE INVENTION OF MOREL, is a tale of fantasy and even terror, as a man on an island comes to the realization that all of the people he sees are recordings (three-dimensional, with sound and even smell), but indistinguishable from reality.
Ben
Mar 24, 2008 Ben rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2008
I actually liked the short stories better than the novella. In particular the last two, "The Other Labyrinth" and "The Perjury of the Snow" were quite good and at times came near to the quality of Casares's friend Borges's own stories. I think that though never really achieves that quality, mostly because he's too engaged in telling a story and not engaged enough in his ideas. But that's alright. Not everyone can/should be Borges. Definitely worth reading.
lisa_emily
May 12, 2008 lisa_emily rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: simulists
Shelves: tales, phantasmagoria
I came to Invention of Morel through its reference in Last Year at Marienbad. Published in 1940, it is a tale of of that blur images and reality. Of course, now in these ages, such tales are commonplace, but even IoM takes surprising turns and draws in some strange influences. Like Borges, Casares writes of speculative possibilities, but with e science fiction bent.
Jonah
Jan 13, 2009 Jonah rated it really liked it
Shelves: collection, fiction
Good collection and decent translation of some hard-to-find stuff from Casares. "The Invention of Morel" is a terrific story about mind/body duality, immortality, and memory, and was almost certainly ripped off by Robbe-Grillet for "Last Year at Marienbad".
Miriam
May 02, 2009 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Nothing is certain in this odd tale of a fugitive on an island.

I had not heard of this until it was re-released a few years ago, but my copy is actually a 60s hardback with a short but excellent introduction by Borges arguing for the value of the adventure story.
Lauren
A friend of Borges, and why he's lesser known is beyond me. Title story is a classic of all that's lovely, strange, & magical in literature. I know it inspired the film Last Year at Marienbad, but the feel is more L'Avventura.
Mike
Aug 14, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
Seeing as how I love Borges and the tv show Lost, how did I not come to this book before?
l.
Aug 22, 2011 l. rated it really liked it
very borgian. also, this was a real nice edition.
Jenni
Jenni rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2010
Pablo Stafforini
Pablo Stafforini rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Aaron
Aaron rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2008
Meril
Meril rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2012
William Ward
William Ward rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
Marilia Maschion
Marilia Maschion rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2009
Jean Riquelme
Jean Riquelme rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013
Au Privave
Au Privave rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Jesse K
Jesse K rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2011
Richard Horsman
Richard Horsman rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2014
Candiss
Candiss rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Winner of the Gran Premio de Honor da Sociedad Argentina de Escritores (1975), the Cervantes Award (1990) and the Légion d’Honneur da França (1981), Adolfo Bioy Casares (Buenos Aires, 1914-1999) is one of the main writes of the XX century. Also a journalist and translator, he was a friend and collaborator with his fellow countryman Jorge Luis Borges, with whom he wrote six books and created the ch ...more
More about Adolfo Bioy Casares...