Start by marking “Black Whiteness: Admiral Byrd Alone in the Antarctic” as Want to Read:
Black Whiteness: Admiral Byrd Alone in the Antarctic

Black Whiteness: Admiral Byrd Alone in the Antarctic

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In 1934, Admiral Richard Byrd spent a season by himself in a small cabin in Antarctica, recording the weather and confronting life, completely alone, in harsh conditions. Robert Burleigh's text is supplemented with excerpts from Admiral Byrd's firsthand account of how he survived, and dramatic illustrations capture the courage of Byrd's amazing ordeal. Full color.
Published March 1st 1998 by Atheneum

To ask other readers questions about Black Whiteness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Whiteness

MH
Alternating between exerpts from Byrd's journal and his own words, Burleigh lets the reader experience the cold, the dark, and the isolation of Byrd's winter in the Antarctic. This book read in the winter along side a unit on weather can be an intense experience.
M S
Jul 08, 2014 M S rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book in every respect.The prose and illustrations are surprising, simple and powerful - just as is the landscape.
I have read this book with, or to, many young boys. All were instantly captivated.
Robert Burleigh is a master.
LouAnne
Apr 21, 2016 LouAnne rated it really liked it
Admiral Byrd's journal entries and story written in verse...short, intense account of his attempt to survive an Antarctic winter.
Matthew
I don't know what inspires a person to put himself through an ordeal like this, but Admiral Byrd closed himself in a small, isolated cabin in Antarctica for the winter. Honestly, you'd have to be a little nutty to do that in the first place, but surviving the experience pushed his sanity to its absolute limits. It's an interesting story, though the man behind the story certainly doesn't inspire me to walk in his footsteps. Worth the read.
Cindi
Mar 08, 2009 Cindi rated it really liked it
Shelves: winter
Can you imagine being alone in a forlorn land where the temperature INSIDE your dwelling is -50 F? I can't, but that's just what Admiral Byrd did so many years ago, collecting measurements for the sake of science. This book was well written and included snippets from Byrd's journals during his lonely stay at the base. He was rescued by some people from Little America. The kids enjoyed this book!
Yvonne
May 05, 2013 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
I can't wait to put this book into the hands of a junior researcher! Oh the thinking that a great book sparks! My students who hate reading will love the adventure between these pages and they will definitely want to know more. The prose of the narration is musical. The bits and pieces of Admiral Byrd's journal add to the authenticity that picky readers demand.
Debbie Tanner
The language alone in this book makes it worth reading! The passages of Admiral Bird's journal are so poetic and so beautifully described, it made me want to go to Antarctica (and that's saying a lot since I live in South Florida and think that anything below 50 is REALLY cold). The pictures are lovely and the story is great.
Lara
Really beautiful book for children about Admiral Byrd's stay alone in the Antarctic for five months in 1934. I think Burleigh has done a fantastic job here of capturing the cold and dark and isolation and danger and beauty of the place, and the illustrations really add to that as well. Just really well done.
Kate
Jan 26, 2011 Kate rated it it was amazing
this book is a great mix of poetry and historical in a biography which is kinda cool. The poems were so well written half the time you can't even tell that they're poems! I think that anyone can read and understand this right from the first page.
Megan
I knew about Admiral Byrd's exploration, but I had never heard of his experience living alone in the Antarctic for months. Robert Burleigh includes excerpts from Byrd's journals along with the narration of this history. Fascinating!
Bree
Jun 16, 2012 Bree rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-science
Notes:
written as a poem
uses Byrd's actual journal entries
good adventure book for antarctic loving kids
used for age 8+
Partridge Public
Aug 27, 2007 Partridge Public added it
Recommends it for: JF Bur
Shelves: juniorfiction
Burleigh, Robert
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Sonia Allison
Sonia Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 09, 2016
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Meighan
Meighan marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Bill Winn
Bill Winn rated it it was amazing
Nov 18, 2015
Rani
Rani marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
Wesley
Wesley marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Bonny
Bonny rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Rob Kibbe
Rob Kibbe marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Over the past 35 years, I have published poems, reviews, essays, many filmstrips and videos, and more than 40 children's picture books.

Born and raised in Chicago, I graduated from DePauw University (Greencastle, Indiana) and later received an MA in humanities from the University of Chicago. I've published books for children since the early 1990s. My books - including numerous unpublished ones! -
More about Robert Burleigh...