Start by marking “The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Coffin Dancer

Jeffery Deaver

The Coffin Dancer (Lincoln Rhyme #2)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  34,908 Ratings  ·  758 Reviews
Detective Lincoln Rhyme joins his beautiful protege, Amelia Sachs, in the hunt for the Coffin Dancer. They have just 48 hours until he claims his next victim, and they have only one clue to go on: the killer's unique and blood-chilling tattoo.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published January 1st 1999 by Books On Tape (first published August 15th 1998)

Mike
Dec 13, 2008 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that hooked me into reading suspense novels. Back in 2002, I was at Super-Walmart waiting for my car to get an oil change so I decided to kill some time in the book aisle. I picked up a John Grisham book and was reading the plot summary when somebody said to me "if you want to read a good book then read that one". She was pointing to THE COFFIN DANCER so I took her advice and bought it. I have read about 120 novels since and nothing has topped it yet. I felt the first chapter wa ...more
Bobby Underwood
Nov 17, 2014 Bobby Underwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bone Collector was this reader’s introduction to paralyzed Detective Lincoln Rhyme, and Amelia Sachs, who became his pupil in scene-of-the-crime gathering of evidence. While the first book was a very enjoyable thriller, the second entry in the series, might have been better.

Coffin Dancer is about a killer who has eluded Rhyme, a fact which haunts the detective. He became known as Coffin Dancer during the slayings because of a tattoo of the Grim Reaper dancing near a casket. In this entry, th
Arielle Walker
I'm working on a theory: just as every second-hand book seller has at least one, unwanted copy of The Da Vinci Code (and 2+ if it's a Hospice or Salvation Army shop), every summer holiday bach has at least one Jeffery Deaver book.

At least all the ones I visit seem to, which is great because these make the perfect beach read. Yes, even with all the violent crime, I find this series wonderfully easy-going and summery.

The Coffin Dancer is not as good as the best Lincoln Rhyme, but also not the wors
Zach Judkins
Aug 22, 2007 Zach Judkins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: thrill seekers:)
Shelves: mystery
this is my favorite book by Deaver and the only one I would really give five stars. It is a great, creepy, fast paced thrill/mystery book, with all the twists and forensic tidbits one might expect from Deaver. What really makes the book is it's brilliantly sadist villians. The mindplay between the main character (lincoln rhyme) and those villians is enthralling, and adds about as much action and suspense to the book as any other in the series. for anyone who has not read the other lincoln rhyme ...more
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I'm just starting to get into this series after a long period from reading The Bone Collector. Excellent suspense and writing. Looking forward to reading the rest of these gems!
Magdalena
Jun 17, 2015 Magdalena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's the second instalment in the Lincoln Rhyme series and it doesn't disappoint. Fast-paced, well-written, with a surprise twist at the end it's definitely worth a read.
Obsidian
Jul 21, 2016 Obsidian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow. That's all I have. What a fantastic second book in The Lincoln Rhymes series.

It's a year since the events in the first book. Lincoln is now working as a consultant to the police and FBI with Amelia assisting him. Pulled into a case involving the hitman named as "The Coffin Dancer" Rhymes has personal reasons for bringing him down.

I loved Rhymes in this one. He was less acidic in his interactions with everyone. Though it's clear something is off with Amelia, though Rhymes ignores it since h
Nikki
Jun 06, 2013 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime
If you haven't read The Coffin Dancer, and you want the plot to surprise you, do not read my review after this first paragraph -- do not read anyone's review. I don't know whether I'm quicker or slower on the uptake than the average reader of Deaver's work, but a cursory glance at reviews here was enough to flick the switches in my brain and have me figuring things out ahead of Rhyme and co. So if you want to be left reeling, play it safe and stay out of people's reviews.

Yeah, there was some stu
Janie Johnson
When I started this book I went into it with pretty high expectations. I thought this installment started off just a bit slow for me and I did not think I was going to enjoy it as much as The Bone Collector. And I really didn't, but it did pick up the pace a lot and had some great plot twists in the story. Soon enough I found myself somewhat engaged and enjoying the overall story.

So in this installment of the Lincoln Rhyme series we have the perp called 'the coffin dancer'. He is hired, suppose
Jane Stewart
I was not magnetized and drawn in, but I was curious enough to keep reading.

When I finished the book my first thought was the killer’s abilities and actions were not believable. But I could accept them because it made an intricate and complicated puzzle for Lincoln to figure out. The killer was able to do too many things, too frequently, and get away too easily every time. And he always seemed to have full knowledge of everything the authorities were thinking and doing - so you need to suspend d
Harry
By far, Jeffery Deaver is the one author with that uncanny ability to develop plot twists and very complex characters that leave you stunned to the end. If you've seen the movie, trust me, the books are far more ingenious and developed as compared to what we were presented with on the silver screen. The Bone Collector is a series novel starring Lincoln Rhyme, our famous forensics expert bound to his bed and mobile wheelchair.

Reading this novel I am reminded to never commit a crime. The art of fo
Kelly ...
Jul 20, 2016 Kelly ... rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fiction
I am intrigued by Lincoln Rhymes., and I admire Amelia Sachs. These two characters are far from perfect -- flawed, obstinate, stubborn, fearful, arrogant. They are similar to real people which makes them more interesting because they seem more like people I could know and like. Mr Deaver has taken a man in bed -- a quadiplegic - and allowed him to be intelligent and vibrant. He has also allowed him to be unlikable at times. He has taken a man in a bed and made him into a character who is loud, s ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Read this during my (mentioned before) Jeffery Deaver/Lincoln Rhyme "period". In this outing an old enemy who has killed some of Lincoln's assistants in the past returns. Lincoln unfazed by this bravely sends Amelia after him anyway....:) (little dark humor there). (Let's you and him fight :))

The Dancer is one of Rhyme's deadliest foes...and I found one glitch in the story the conspicuous tattoo that figures so significantly in the story. I won't go into why here as that would be a huge spoiler,
Terri Lynn
Sep 09, 2011 Terri Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Typical Jeffery Deaver mystery involving two of my favorite characters- Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs. This time they are tracking a devious killer who has a tatoo of a snake dancing around the victims' coffin on his arm. I love the interplay of Lincoln and lover/partner Amelia as she acts as his legs at the crime scenes and learns to be a fantastic crime scene detective under his tutelage.
Katherine
Apr 12, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mrtvolky
Hádejte, kdo uhodl identitu Tanečníka!

Já jen já... :D
Mám radost.

Jestřáb se nikdy nestane domácím mazlíčkem. Na city tu není místo. Svým způsobem jde o umění psychologie. S vražedným odhodláním a zájmem vzájemně poměřují svůj důvtip.

Lincoln Rhyme je prostě kabrňák na entou. <3 <3
Alondra
Feb 07, 2012 Alondra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
4 Stars

Now, that was fun. Can we do it again??

I really enjoyed this Lincoln Rhyme novel. Nice game of cat & mouse; but I am not sure who had who in the trap. Many twists and turns, with lots of dead ends; evidence leading no where...and then all of a sudden, things start clicking at the end and you are thinking, "No way! No way!" Loved this installment and am ready for some more.
Gerard
May 11, 2016 Gerard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Think of Holmes in a wheel chair and that is exactly who Lincoln Rhymes is. He keeps solving riddle after riddle and when you are just about to decide he is done with all of them, he surprises you by solving some more! Good read!
Perri
Mar 17, 2015 Perri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well crafted Lincoln Rhyme story with the tension rising as the clock ticks.
Greg Duncn
Sep 28, 2014 Greg Duncn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
GBD_140831
Jamie
An assassin has been dispatched. Rhyme believes he is the Coffin Dancer, the illusive killer responsible for the deaths of a couple of his techs at a crime scene 5 years prior. Rhyme works the case obsessively collecting trace evidence wherever he can. It's a pretty typical Deaver novel focused on evidence. Percy Clay, owner of Hudson Air & her friend & co-pilot Brit Hale have been targeted for something they witnessed. If the witnesses testify at the Grand Jury an arms dealer will surel ...more
The Books Blender
Jul 03, 2016 The Books Blender rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
description

Per la precisione: 3,5
Questa recensione è presente anche sul blog: http://thebooksblender.altervista.org...

Solitamente si dice: «Squadra che vince non si cambia». Be', ottimo consiglio; non applicabile purtroppo al mondo letterario in cui il "già visto" fa subito storcere il naso. E così, ritroviamo Lincoln, con un giocattolo questa volta aggiornato e più figo del precedente, in "profonda meditazione" disturbato - il solito Thom che lascia passare gente! - da due facce note, Sellito e Banks. Cos
Kathryn
Jeffery Deaver has quickly become one of my all-time favorite authors very quickly. However, The Coffin Dancer wasn't my favorite Deaver novel. It is the second book in the Lincoln Rhyme series, and I'm currently reading through the series with a few GR friends.

I became acquainted with Deaver in late 2013 because I wanted to get into the mystery/suspense/thriller genre. And I have to say, I'm so glad two of my friends introduced me to his work. Deaver is such a genius at writing and weaving b
Neil Collins
Apr 13, 2009 Neil Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Jeffery Deaver book I’ve read, and also the second of his Lincoln Rhyme series. (The Bone Collector was first). I think I enjoyed The Coffin Dancer even more than The Bone Collector, and I saw some real development in the characters, mainly Lincoln and Amanda Sachs, the primary protagonists.

I found the story very well constructed and the telling quite good. I also really liked the way the reader is drawn to a certain perspective regarding the antagonist, setting the stage for
Chimere
This was entertaining.

It felt like reading the script to a 90's blockbuster action movie. It felt like a Batman vs. the Joker story--sometimes overly dramatic, littered with mind games and plot-twists that verge on cartoonish, and leaving you at the end wondering why the Joker is still alive. There were some brilliant moments here. The whole gliding sequence above the Colorado desert honestly had my heart pounding.
I suppose you could say it was quite a rush.

That said, it seems readers should l
Jim
Jul 13, 2016 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Written in 1998, the second in series of Lincoln Rhyme thrillers, "The Coffin Dancer" is as intense as it is suspenseful. Author Jeffery Deaver once again weaves a deadly plot filled with surprises and twists that are indeed shocking. Rhyme and NYPD criminalist Amelia Sachs are once again tasked with tracking down a killer who never ever leaves any forensic clues behind from committing his brutal murders. A murderer for hire that bats 1.000 (Thousand). The team has aprox. 45 hours to protect two ...more
Wes Metz
Nov 23, 2010 Wes Metz rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Derek Davis
As too often, this rating is a compromise. If you love police procedurals with amazingly convoluted plots and even more amazingly ingenious fitting together of puzzle pieces, you'll give this five stars: It may have the most intricate manipulation of clues and motivations of anything I've read.

On the other hand, if you like your plots to have at least the tiniest connection to reality and your villains to behave in the slightest like living human beings, you'll end up beyond frustration.

I read "
Razaq Mzale
Jul 17, 2016 Razaq Mzale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got to reading this book literally the second after I had just finished reading The Bone Collector. I must say,

I loved the mental gymnastics that was going on between the killer and Lincoln Rhyme. Hunter vs hunter. One is a professional killer with years of training, the other is a simple criminalist who can't even lift his hand. Yet the Killer absolutely fears Lincoln and continuously aims to outsmart him as he chases his victims. It was awesome and exciting.

I will say this though, the Coff
Inga
Feb 29, 2016 Inga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lincoln Rhyme und Amelia Sachs ermitteln wieder. Der Totentänzer ist ein extrem wandlungsfähiger und intelligenter Auftragskiller und er soll drei Zeugen, die in einem in Kürze anstehenden Mordprozess aussagen müssen, umbringen. Der erste der Zeugen stirbt in einer Flugzeugexplosion, was die Skrupellosigkeit des Täters verdeutlicht. Zudem ist es bereits das zweite Mal, dass Rhyme mit dem Totentänzer in Kontakt kommt, dieser hat mit einer Bombe zwei Mitglieder von Rhymes Team vor seinem Unfall er ...more
Beth
Sep 20, 2009 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this, the second Lincoln Rhyme book, Lincoln and lover Amelia Sachs are called in to protect a female pilot who's husband has been murdered by the man now chasing her.

I adored The Bone Collector and could not wait to read this one, but unfortunately I was disappointed in The Coffin Dancer. The book for me just didn't get going until 3/4 of the way through. There was too much technical information about flying, not enough action and a lot of the chase-capture-oh no he's gone again scenes were
  • The Wire in the Blood (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #2)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Indelible (Grant County, #4)
  • Secret Prey (Lucas Davenport, #9)
  • The Killing Kind (Charlie Parker, #3)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • The Devil's Bones (Body Farm, #3)
  • A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)
  • Hell Gate (Alexandra Cooper, #12)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
  • Death du Jour (Temperance Brennan, #2)
  • Blood Memory
#1 international bestselling author of over thirty novels and three collections of short stories. His books are sold in 150 countries and translated into 25 languages. His first novel featuring Lincoln Rhyme, The Bone Collector, was made into a major motion picture starring Denzel Washington and Angelina Jolie. He's received or been shortlisted for a number of awards around the world.
More about Jeffery Deaver...

Lincoln Rhyme (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • The Empty Chair (Lincoln Rhyme, #3)
  • The Stone Monkey (Lincoln Rhyme, #4)
  • The Vanished Man (Lincoln Rhyme, #5)
  • The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6)
  • The Cold Moon (Lincoln Rhyme, #7)
  • The Broken Window (Lincoln Rhyme, #8)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • The Kill Room (Lincoln Rhyme, #10)
  • The Skin Collector  (Lincoln Rhyme, #11)

“People with children and people with their own business always pick up a ringing phone.” 8 likes
“I'm not your proverbial worst nightmare because nightmares aren't real and I am more real than anybody wants to admit.” 3 likes