Start by marking “This Is The Way We Go To School: A Book About Children Around The World” as Want to Read:
This Is The Way We Go To School: A Book About Children Around The World

This Is The Way We Go To School: A Book About Children Around The World

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  31 reviews
With fun-filled rhymes and lively, colorful pictures, kids learn how children around the world get to school. "The exuberant watercolor washes complement (the) rhyming text, overflow with joy and motion, and add a visual zest that keeps the pages turning".--School Library Journal, starred review.
Library Binding, 36 pages
Published 1990 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about This Is The Way We Go To School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is The Way We Go To School

My personal reaction of this book was i loved the theme of the book and how it shows the different perspectives of children. The colorful illustrations and rhyme add to meaning of how to get to school. For example," And the fastest way by far is the school bus or by car. With illustrations of diagonal leaves indicating the fast movement.

The purpose of this book would be to read aloud for a curriculum related purpose. This book would be acceptable for first grade. This book helps demonstrates no
Cute book depicting the way children around the world travel to school. I wish there was a little more information about what school was like in each place, but I realize that wasn't he purpose of the book. My three year old enjoyed it, and I liked that it let you know where each of the children were from at the end of the story so you could guess as you read along. I'd recommend this book for children around 3.

If you want a book with more in depth information about the school day for children a
Jennifer Lanman
This book was fun to read because it showed all the different ways children from around the world go to school. It surprised me some of the ways that kids go to school. The pictures were very detailed and used watercolor paint. They were nice pastel colors and very pretty to look at. This book could be used for a read aloud and an activity to follow. After the teacher reads the book, the teacher asks students how they get to school. The students can after, on paper with art supplies, show how th ...more
Kathryn Brewer
This is a short story with illustrations. I think it could have a little more detail about the places, but it gets the point of the story across that all kids across the world go to school by different ways of transportation. I think this book would be a book I might use to start conversation about the world and the different lifestyles.
Mar 05, 2013 Libby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Preparing a child to be ready to read and write is an endeavor that can be put in practical daily use with the implementation of shared reading as one of the child’s daily social routines. To support the child’s print motivation, letter knowledge, vocabulary, phonological awareness and narrative skills, reading a book such as This Is The Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around The World can be used as a tool to help prepare a preschooler for school. By establishing a connection to self ...more
Kindee Porter
This is a good book to read to students before talking about places around the world. It also has a picture of the world where all the kids they talked about are located. A very interesting book. You could also ask students which place they would to go to school and how they might get to school now.
Lisa C
A rhyming book about how children around the world go to school, from bike and bus to skis and boat. Nice pictures. Nice mini-multicultural experience.
Really neat everyone can learn about how diffrent people go to school!
This is the Way We Go to School is an international book. It is telling about children from around the world. It teaches us that we are different, but those differences don’t change how we do thins. Each child had a different type of transportation, but that didn’t prevent any of them for making it home. I really loved learning about how children to and from school in different parts of the world. We see children taking the ferry, riding the trolley car, flying in a helicopter, and the el. The i ...more
Fun poetry and illustrations tell the story of how children all over the world, including the United States, get to school! You can either read or sing this little tale about children going to school on skis, bikes, boats, elevated trains and more--it's fun no matter what you do. (The tune is "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush"--or "This Is The Way We Wash the Clothes"). At the end of the book, there is a list of the places the children live and also a separate map that shows each location. Gr ...more
This is a book that briefly explains how from all around the world get to and from school. The pictures are as important as the words in this book. They illustrate landscapes and modes of transportation that most would not be familiar with. Another good feature is in the back of the book it lists where each child is from and gives a map on the following page. This book is also useful for identifying rhyming words.
Ramanda Flannery
This is a book about how kids around the world go to school. Some ride bikes, busses, or in cars. Some walk or ride in a buggy pulled by a horse. It is a very great book.
I would use this book in a social studies book. It has a map in the back of the book so the kids can actually see where the kids in the book live which I think is a great teaching tool.
Ashley Correll
This is a book about children around the world and how they get to school. This book is not only a fiction book, but a rhyming book as well. It has children from the U.S.A., Egypt, Norway, Italy, Isreal, Switzerland, Kenya, Australia, China, India, Mexico, U.S.S.R., and Canada. This is a great book for diversity and has very nice pictures in it as well.
Shelby Pfleiger
This fun, yet simple story was great to introduce to my students about the continents. The reader is introduced to children around the world and the different ways they get to school- skiing, cable car, walking, and more. A great way to open students' eyes to different cultures around the world.
- Great to read at the beginning of the school year
- Great for students to learn about other culture (the different ways people commute among the world)
- ELL students can read and relate to.
- Great for teaching compare/contrast
- Rhyming words
- Grades 1-3
Oana Cerchezan
This book shows children that not schools are alike or do things the same way. There exists so much diversity in the world, even in the way we get to school. It would be a great discussion to talk about something that they do differently from the rest.
This books highlights all the different ways people go to school from all over the world. There's not just one way to go to school! Some people run, some take their time, some ride bikes, and some even ski all the way to school.
children around the world go to school by different modes of transportation; rhymes; written in 1990, so some characters are from U.S.S.R., not that you’d necessarily know without reading the notes in the back
Amy Burch
This is a great book to show a class the different cultures of the world. The book shows the different ways children go to school because of where they live and their ways of life. I loved this book!
A rhyming book about students and how they get to school. Read to Kindergarten, though they didn't enjoy it very much. I most likely won't read it again in future years.
Katie Curry
This book is about all the different ways people get to school all around the world.
I would use this book in my classroom to use in a compare and contrast lesson.
This book is a fun way to learn about how children all over the world go to school. Some kids go by bus, while others go by boat, car, or even a camel!
This book is a great book to use for teaching children about transportation, especially because it features how children all over the world get to school.
Phuong Dao
I think this book is good to teach children about how other children from around the world go to school. It is good to make text to self connection.
Shelly Koressel
This is a book about different places around the world and how they get to school each day. Good book for preschool up to 1st grade.
Leah Lemon
I love this book. It is a good way to get students thinking about other cultures and how they differ from their own.
Good book for the first few days of school and a little multi culture lesson also.
Brittany Lockard
Great book for talking about diversity and other cultures on how they get to school.
Mina Saeed
This is a book about the different ways children get to school around the world:)
Jan 07, 2008 Michelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children
Shelves: picture-book
Good illustrations, clever writing, a little out of date.
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
  • Pumpkin Pumpkin
  • The Chicken-Chasing Queen of Lamar County
  • Chickens Aren't the Only Ones: A Book About Animals that Lay Eggs
  • Sam and the Tigers: A Retelling of 'Little Black Sambo'
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • 10 Things I Can Do to Help My World
This is the Way We Eat Our Lunch: A Book about Children Around the World Walk the Dark Streets A Frost in the Night Words Are Like Faces Der arme Millionär