Start by marking “Letters from the Woods: Looking at Life Through the Window of Wilderness” as Want to Read:
Letters from the Woods: Looking at Life Through the Window of Wilderness

Letters from the Woods: Looking at Life Through the Window of Wilderness

In the tradition of Thoreau, author and adventurer Michael C. Hurley offers insight on life, faith and family as revealed in the wilderness experience. Traveling all over North America and Canada by canoe between 1995 and 2003, often with his young children in tow, Hurley reflects on his experiences in intimate, thought-provoking essays and endearing, campfire tales. First ...more
Published April 2nd 2012 by Ragbagger Publishing (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Letters from the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters from the Woods

Christine
Aug 06, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book through a Good Reads giveaway.

I can certainly tell why many people compare Mr. Hurley’s short essays with Thoreau. Naturally, the references to Walden and minimalist/simplistic living help the reader draw a connection between the two authors.

The thoughtful writing style really shows a strong sense of self-reflection. Many of the author’s views on wilderness and solitude reflect my own so it was easy to get lost in the writing. Overall, the book is one of few that I have earned a
Susan Rose
(I won this book from the giveaways for my Dad as this sounded like his sort of thing, this review is his except he doesn't have a good reads account).

This is a collection of essays about a man travelling around North America and his thoughts on the nature surrounding him.

I found this book very hard to get in to as the short essays didn't have any overarching narrrative and so the book jumped about a lot and felt very disjointed. Also the reliogious motifs didn't exactly suit me as Im atheist,
Donna Parker
Jun 06, 2012 Donna Parker rated it really liked it
I won this from The Goodreads Firsst Read program and to be honest, I would never have bought, borrowed, or read this kind of book otherwise. I would have missed out on a great read. Hurley lets us be a voyeur on his voyage as a voyageur, OK, enough of that, but this was very entertaining. An intelligent, funny, personal, and interesting collection of stories. I have learnt a lesson, I need to expand my reading horizons.
Judie Dooley
Jun 02, 2012 Judie Dooley rated it really liked it
I received this book as a win from goodreads. I loved it. It made me feel like I was on those canoe trips right along with the author. Great passionate stories about spending time alone and in the woods or paddling on the water with a conoe. The only regret I have is that I wasn't sble to sit alone in the woods when I read this book.Thank you so much for giving me the pleasure of reading it.
Ciara
Jul 30, 2012 Ciara rated it liked it
The nature of his travels and the description was lovely, however it was a bit boring to work through. I've read books without dialogue before, but it didn't work as well for this book. Also the constant religious references threw me off, because it really didn't say on the back that the essays were going to be that way.
Don (The Book Guy)
An amazingly thoughtful read. One that took me by surprise since I thought I was getting a book about simple trips into the woods. I enjoyed the writer's skill in using language to describe scenes from his life and his reactions and feelings about them. He avoided being preachy about his own spiritual outlook on how he and we can interact with the wilderness.
Alexander S...........
May 17, 2012 Alexander S........... rated it it was amazing
must read book for 2012
really good book and inspiration of nature or life itself
when I started reading I could not put it down
this book make me think about life, family and nature
very well written and easy to read...
good book to read for youth.
Good book
Audrey
Oct 06, 2012 Audrey rated it did not like it
This book wasn't at all what I was expecting & I never could finish it. I tried, but I just couldn't get into it.
Michael Brady
Jan 03, 2014 Michael Brady marked it as to-read
This is my second free book from the First Reads drawings. I'm looking forward to reading and reviewing it.
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Ruth Conrad
Ruth Conrad rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2008
Helen
Helen rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Germaine Bouchard
Germaine Bouchard rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Che'rei Holley
Che'rei Holley rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Jennifer Maria Padron
Jennifer Maria Padron rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2012
Dara
May 20, 2012 Dara rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A very enjoyable book - perfect timing as a reflect on my life....
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2013
Darla Schultz
Darla Schultz rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2015
Ethan Brooks-Livingston
Ethan Brooks-Livingston rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
William Holland
William Holland rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Taylor
Taylor rated it did not like it
Nov 09, 2012
Sara Prior
Sara Prior rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2012
Victoria Lefevre
Victoria Lefevre rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2013
Vito
Jan 04, 2013 Vito rated it liked it
Thought this was great. Makes me want to get out of the burbs and hike in the wild.
Haley
Haley rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2012
Sylvie
Sylvie marked it as to-read
Charlotte Phillips
Charlotte Phillips marked it as to-read
Regina
Regina marked it as to-read
Annie Williams
Annie Williams marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Lorraine
Lorraine marked it as to-read
liz
liz marked it as to-read
Phoenix Carvelli
Phoenix Carvelli marked it as to-read
Suzyberry
Suzyberry marked it as to-read
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Lucy Leblanc
Lucy Leblanc marked it as to-read
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2012
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jennie
Jennie marked it as to-read
Chrissy
Chrissy marked it as to-read
Shahrun
Shahrun marked it as to-read
Wanda Morrison
Wanda Morrison marked it as to-read
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
David Holtzclaw
David Holtzclaw marked it as to-read
Sharon Huether
Sharon Huether marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2012
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2012
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2012
Missy
Missy marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2012
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2012
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2012
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2012
Michael Hurley is an American novelist, memoirist, and essayist. He calls Charleston, South Carolina home, but he is currently sailing the world aboard the 32-foot sloop Nevermore. His latest port of call is the Canary Islands. He keeps up with readers at his website, www.mchurley.com.
More about Michael Hurley...