After You with the Pistol

After You with the Pistol (Mortdecai #3)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  218 ratings  ·  26 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
"All the characters in this book are fictitious; any similarity to real people or corpses is both accidental and disgusting." So begins Kyril Bonfiglioli's cult classic After You with the Pistol. For the next 192 pages, the jokes -- tossed off in the most artfully arch and casual manner -- never let up, as Bonfiglioli's delightful antihero, Cha...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published March 1st 2006 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 1981)

R.
It's a shame that Bonfiglioli only wrote three true-blue Mortdecai novels.

The first, Don't Point that Thing at Me ended on a cliffhanger - the threat of a Sam Peckinpah-esque shootout. Who knows? It's probably where Bonfiglioli wanted to leave it - after all, the British edition is entitled, Mortdecai's Endgame.

The third, Something Nasty in the Woodshed, ended...ah, ended. And in such a satisfying, but downbeat, way. Your favorite characters - mine, at least; in the parlance of the Internet, Y...more
Tfitoby
Just brilliant. I've been meaning to read this for the past year and didn't know what to expect.

It's extremely funny, Mortdecai is such a great character and the mystery is as convoluted as they come. Early on I was laughing so hard and frequently that I had to put the book down and ask myself how likely it was that I would even finish the book, but as the end drew near the jokes were a little less frequent and I had to work hard to put fix the events in to my idea of what the plot was. But stil...more
Greg
The second of Bonfigliolis' Mortdecai books picks up immediately from the first, with the dissolute and shady art dealer in the clutches of various agencies who wish him harm. He manages to extricate himself by promising to marry the gorgeous Johanna and keep tabs on her activities.

Johanna manipulates Mortdecai into a series of increasingly dubious activities from assassinating the Queen, training at a camp for lesbian warriors and smuggling heroin out of China. As the plot proceeds it just gets...more
Mary Newcomb
What if Bertie Wooster had a wife? And what if he had some espionage training? The result might be something like this adventure.

John E. Branch Jr.
"How lucidly one thinks, to be sure, when one has taken just a suspicion of brandy more than one should." So says Charlie Mortdecai, who is Kyril Bonfiglioli's central character in this and other novels, and he knows. His life abounds in at least a suspicion more of many things than the rest of us would find reasonable or even affordable: a wealthy and beautiful wife who has the strong desire for him to assassinate the Queen of England; a mysterious American who wants him to spy on his wife; wai...more
Eva
This is my favorite of the three books featuring art dealer/thief Charlie Mordecai. Charlie is convinced to marry spirited heiress, Johanna, and to report on her activities. He is told she is up to something, but not given any clues as to what. He has a complicated set of instructions to carry out in order to reach his handler which include dialing a phone number and asking for daddy because mummy is feeling poorly. He despises both the handler and the message.

Johanna's first request, made when...more
Christian Leonard Quale
After You With the Pistol is the second book in the Mortecai trilogy, and it is no worse than the first one. The story in this book is more coherent than in the first, and makes for a reasonably good genre-parody. Mortdecai has been spared his life in exchange for marrying a slightly crazy, very rich American woman. As part of the deal he also finds himself acting as a double (or triple, or maybe quadruple) agent. His wife then requests something very special from him on their wedding night...

Th...more
Nate D
All the Honorable Charlie Mordecai, Art Dealer, wants to do is settle in with a brandy & soda and a good meal, but people just keep expecting him to do things. Like smuggle heroin (or perhaps dental powder) into the States, undergo rigorous training with a militant feminist group, and assassinate the Queen. Bonfiglioli's very witty, very British voice keeps what would otherwise be a trivial and uneven espionage story brisk and amusing comedy of manners, but only just that. His prior book out...more
Kurtis
Mar 02, 2009 Kurtis rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kurtis by: Dave Wondrich's list
Shelves: fiction
Written seven years after "Don't Shoot" and "Something Nasty", this story is set immediately following "Don't Shoot" and well before "Something Nasty". Wish I'd known that before opting to read them in the order they were written.

Regardless, I really like Charlie Mortdecai and it might be nice if there were more than the three existing books but, really, while I don't read Wodehouse's "novels" for the plots, Wodehouse took more care to develop a basic framework for connecting the short stories t...more
Dawn Batten
Just couldn't get into it at all do only read four chapters
Rhys
The second volume in Bonfiglioli's marvellous 'Mortdecai Trilogy'. I think this is possibly superior to the first volume in the series ('Don't Point That Thing At Me') but lke the earlier book the plot still doesn't quite convince me. However, Bonfiglioli's strength isn't really plot, although he does action sequences incredibly well. What he's really a genius at is blithe wit, suave nastiness and an utterly convincing evocation of a world long gone -- the 1970s. This is absurdist crime writing...more
Amy
A bit more of a slog than the first book in the series -- Mortdecai's racist, chauvinistic, classist attitudes strike one a little less trenchant satire and a little more tiresome reality. And frankly, it felt like our "hero" was a bit stupider in this story than in "Don't Point that Thing at Me" -- although it all works out in the end.

I expect I will read the last book in the trilogy -- I hear Mortdecai's voice calling now -- but not immediately.
Jack Hodges
Definitely not as good as the first but still hilarious.
Not as good as the first one, but Charlie's (if I may call him that) (mis)adventures are fun and humorous. Don't know if I could operate as well as he with all the whisky and brandy he consumes. It would probably have been better if his manservant, Jock, was more involved in the story, as their dialogue with each other is unmatched. Plus, Jock is probably more likable than Charlie. Who doesn't love a dimwit thug?
Adam
More of Charlie Mordecai and his bizarre prejudices and jokes. Kind of an Ian Fleming parody with a hopelessly complex and silly plot involving a training school, heroin trade, and warring absurd terrorist organizations, I think. Once again the joy is being stuck “hero’s” head (never have those quotes seemed so appropriate). A wild ride with plenty of nasty events and horrible people that is always hilarious.
Luke
The second Mortdecai tome picks up in the dying minutes of the first. We're given a solution to a formerly inescapable situation and the train of luxury sets off again.

This is perhaps more slapstick than the first, but oven that regicide crops up it probably has to be. Dark as pitch in some instances but always enlivened by Bonfiglioli's endless supply of insults.
Holly
Ahh Charlie Mortdecai. You are just as charming, witty, & immune to death threats as you were in the fist outing but sadly, some of the charm has rubbed off. I did enjoy my hours with you and will think fondly of them, smiling to myself & reeling off silently witty repartee no one but you could truly appreciate.
Purple
It is always a joy to read a Mortdecai mystery, and this was no exception! His great expressions and views never fail to amuse. Perhaps this isn't my favourite of the trilogy, mainly owing to the absence of Jock throughout the most part, but nevertheless, still more enjoyable than most mysteries!
Alan
It has been a while since I read this but I remember being struck by the wonderful language and the sheer, almost drunken audacity it exuded. A hero that isn't conventional or completely lovable, a sidekick that is hilarious and wordplay that kept me smiling.
Dan
An amusing little book that really plays up the sociopathic Jeeves and Wooster comparisons that Bonfiglioli references constantly. The writing is a little absurdist, and the plot pretty much nonsensical, but Wodehouse was sometimes just as absurd.
Miriam
Wodehouse does noir. The underlying plot was not that strong, but it hardly matters because you're reading this for the piffle.
Richard
More Charlie Mortdecai as an agent. Another wild plot and amusing commentary. Excellent.
Stewie's Mom
A funny, campy book that I enjoy simply for its' campy-ness!
Christopher Gordon
IF you liked the first of the trilogy you will like this one
Sophie
Very funny and witty. In the vein of P. G. Wodehouse.
Judith
Fun, light-hearted Brit mystery.
Tiger-lily
Tiger-lily is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Kyril Bonfiglioli was variously an art dealer, editor, and writer.

He wrote four books featuring Charlie Mortdecai, three of which were published in his lifetime, and one posthumously as completed by the satirist Craig Brown. Charlie Mortdecai is the fictional art dealer anti-hero of the series. His character resembles, among other things, an amoral Bertie Wooster with occasional psychopathic tende...more
More about Kyril Bonfiglioli...
Don't Point that Thing at Me The Mortdecai Trilogy Something Nasty in the Woodshed All The Tea In China The Great Mortdecai Moustache Mystery