Start by marking “DC One Million” as Want to Read:
DC One Million

DC One Million (DC: One Million)

One of the most exciting events in DC history is collected in this volume, reprinting the complex story taking place in our own 20th century and in the far-flung 853rd century — one million months after the publication of ACTION COMICS #1. This volume is a new printing of the previously released DC ONE MILLION collection.

Including the popular miniseries that tied the even
Published June 25th 1999 by Titan Books Ltd (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about DC One Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DC One Million

Aug 05, 2007 Brad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, dc
Grant Morrison delivers another great big-concept Justice League story, with most of the team transported to the 853rd century. The TPB is kind of loose, since the crossover affected SO MANY books. There are recap pages talking about things like “the Bizarro plague” that I wish I could’ve seen. And Solaris, the evil star, isn’t a great villain, but I do like how he uses Vandal Savage. Also neat is how the JLA members that don’t get transported forward are the ones that don’t have their own solo ...more
Jan 02, 2008 Chadwick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Superman. Punches. A. Hole. In. Time.
Apr 11, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it
May 03, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: justice-league
The only real downside of this story is the Val Semeiks art. Other than that, it's one of those utterly fantastic, over-the-top JLA stories that Morrison was so good at while he was writing the series. Definitely worth picking up.
Jun 14, 2009 Abe rated it it was ok
an unpleasant reminder of how awful DC/marvel were at compiling trade paperbacks before the mid-2000s. i don't even want to get into how horribly put-together this thing is. however, it's an interesting companion piece to morrison's later, always-stunning Superman All-Star (we're introduced here to Solaris the Tyrant Sun, as well as the Superman Dynasty). but really, avoid this thing and wait until the day when they put together all of the issues of DC One Million. this one only has about 1/3 of ...more
Feather Mista
Mar 05, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Morrisonistas y Ligueros.
Recommended to Feather by: Su autor y que me salió sólo $20.
Ahora que tengo la edición española íntegra, espero poder leerla de pies a cabeza cuanto antes y seguro le escriba su correspondiente reseña. Espero que las historias extras estén al nivel.
Nov 08, 2010 James rated it it was ok
This was just an awful collection. I know that DC One Million spanned the whole line of DC books and there was no way to include them all, but it seems that many crucial plot points were left to one page recaps rather than having the stories included. Therefore the collection did not flow and made it more difficult to follow the perverse creativity of Grant Morrison. Also I wanted to see more of the future which was primarily what was cut from this collection.
So not necessarily shoddy creativel
Here we are. A book that wasn't really part of Morrsion's run on "JLA", but a representation of a major event that went on all across the DC Universe as he was writing the title.

This volume, which was mostly written by Grant Morrison, sees him exploring comic book characters with his usual mind-bending topics such as iterations of the self, time travel, alternate realities and the like. Basically what happens is that the 20th century Justice League get swapped with each hero's counterpart from t
Aug 08, 2011 Dufour rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Ambitious-- Morrison really went for it with this line-wide DC crossover. In fact, I seem to remember he actually plotted out every DC book released during the ONE MILLION month event, much to the chagrin of several other writers.

There's a lot missing from this book as a result of that though, and the collection's impact is lessened with text pages here and there that describe key story points that take place in other titles not collected. Because of the sheer insanity of what Morrison was tryin
Bryson Kopf
Sep 07, 2011 Bryson Kopf rated it really liked it
This brought back those warm and fuzzy memories of Grant Morrison's fantastic run on JLA in the 1990s. I remembered this event happening when I was picking up comics when I was younger since every comic had a One Million issue for a month, but I completely missed connecting this event to what was happening in JLA. This is a shame for me since Morrison ties nearly everything in here to not only his JLA stuff, but also to his future All-Star Superman stories.

The story is pretty complicated; the or
Dec 10, 2011 K rated it really liked it
To be honest, I read the first 20pages or so and thought I wasn't going to be as interested in the story as I had previously expected to be (seeing as I'm a time-travel junkie).
A couple of weeks later I said I'd have another go, and I'm glad I did because I found it more and more interesting as it progressed and enjoyed it to the very end.

If you're into the JLA, it's a must-have!
Jun 29, 2012 Angela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
A tad confusing storyline. Just an excuse for a tie-in really. The heroes are sent into the future to celebrate Superman or not. Disappointing.
John Yelverton
Jul 29, 2012 John Yelverton rated it did not like it
This book had no entertainment value whatsoever. This could even be qualified as an Elseworlds book, because it's just that bad.
Aug 19, 2012 Gregor rated it liked it

I read it alongside all of the tie in comics , and I'm glad I did as it was a much more satisfying read .
Jun 02, 2013 J.R. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
really interesting at some points, but the dialogue isn't that great and some of the plot points are weak.
Jeffrey Jelmeland
The concept behind this volume is interesting, but the major flaw is that what I want to read more of is the stories of the future rather than stories of the present generation of JLA. The stories of the various generations of the JLA, or at least the minor snippets we were given were just enough to really whet my appetite for more of those stories. Regrettably they were nothing more than flavor to fill in a history for the far future versions, and I would really love to have read more of those ...more
Aug 17, 2016 Brent rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and DC supeheroes
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators and George Bacso
Rereading, this was better the first time, spread across the line of DC superhero comics, than in this collected but abridged form.
This height of Morrisonian hyper-time and space stuff seems more like Gardner Fox and Otto Binder via Mort Weisinger's Superman sensibilities to me this time. Appropriate, but if this is not as successful as Mutiversity from Morrison, more recently. I do love his JLA, the James Robinson Starman whose dad and descendant appear here, and I like the Resurrection Man app
Mar 25, 2013 Geremy rated it really liked it
Ever wanted to better understand the mysteries that Morrison intricately sowed into the fabric of the DC universe? Better understand the intertexuality of Final Crisis? (Who wouldn’t want to better understand Final Crisis) How about better understand the many nuances in All-Star Superman (including the villain Solaris, different Supermen and the whole ‘working in the sun’ thing)? Well believe it or not a story published in 1999 has all of the answers.

DC One Million was Morrison’s first attempt o
Aaron Alvarez
Jun 22, 2013 Aaron Alvarez rated it it was ok
It says a lot when tie-in issues are better than the main title. Great concept but really shoddy execution...nice ending though.
Jan 17, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic_novel
A classic example of a fun, solid story ruined by a terrible tpb compilation. The trade was disjointed and confusing, and I should have followed my gut and waited to read the omnibus. Oh well.

2 stars, but I'm giving it an extra star because any story in which Big Barda has a particle cannon can't be all bad.
Mar 03, 2014 Nicolas rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Like all crazy mash-ups, it was too long and way too dense. However, there was a lot of cool stuff about it too. I enjoyed seeing Superman's line continue through time and I thought future Batman was pretty boss. I'm not sure what Huntress and Plastic Man were doing there though. Not a must-read, but you could do worse.
For a crossover this is pretty good, and some of what's included here is very good, but by its very nature it's more scattered and variable in quality than most of the JLA run. There's also some parts missing that make the story choppy, although the trade does try to fill in the gaps where it can.
Steve Quinn
Jan 10, 2015 Steve Quinn rated it it was ok
Wow. Grant Morrison. The more I read you, the less I like you. I'm starting to think I should avoid books written by you. You think you are much much smarter and funnier than you actually are.

Or maybe...I just don't get it?
Mar 06, 2015 Devero rated it liked it
Grant Morrison idea una trama complessa e la porta avanti con successo e logici colpi di scena. I disegni non sempre sono ottimi, ma nel complesso buoni. Quello che traspare, soprattutto, è il rispetto e l'amore per le principali icone DC.
Apr 30, 2015 Sean rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
I think Grant Morrison wishes he was Jack Kirby. That's the only way I can rationalize the mania of this story. His brand of "high concept" comics are a series of whiplashes oscillating between admirable absurdity and complete drivel. In case you're unclear on what this means, here's a brief example from the story: a descendant of Superman, who's from the distant future, punches time itself to return to the 853rd century. Yeah, I just don't know.
Jul 02, 2015 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I feel this should really have zero stars, because I found it unreadably bad. Like literally, I got a little way in and gave up because it was completely incomprehensible.

Apparently, from other reviews, it's a condensed form of a big epic multi-title story, and this explains why it's completely incomprehensible, because critical plot points are in other comics. And okay.

But as it stands? This was simply terrible.
Nuno Gil Franco
Dec 27, 2015 Nuno Gil Franco rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic-books
Well, this had the makings of a great story but, somehow, it just felt lacking. The fact that one needed to read a couple of the tie-ins, instead of just having to read the mini, pissed me off. Any tie-in should just add something to the story, it should not be a must-read thing.
Scott Weatherly
Sep 29, 2015 Scott Weatherly rated it it was ok
This book was such a disappointment. The concept is great and the story vast. Unfortunately it's not all in this book. This reads like an edited high light real. This edition is abridged it relies on single page data dumps to bring you up to speed.

This book is 19% of what contained in the omnibus edition. That says it all and I wish I had read that edition instead.
Nov 04, 2015 Centauri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

Okay, so I am so disappointed in DC Comics. 853rd century? Really? We as a species barely made it out of the 20th century. What's worse...the fact that there are NO original ideas that far into the future; every hero just mimics/steals their superhero identity from the original heroes? Keep moving on…superman is still alive that far into the future, after hibernating in the center of the sun for 15,000 years? The original man-of-steel was an extraterrestrial that could dodge bullets
Ali Bhatti
  • Booster Gold, Vol. 1: 52 Pick-Up
  • JLA Classified, Vol. 2: I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League
  • Supreme: The Story of the Year
  • The Valiant
  • Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
  • The Final Night
  • Showcase Presents Superman, Volume 1
  • Manhunter, Vol. 1: Street Justice
  • Starman, Vol. 1: Sins of the Father
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...