Start by marking “DC One Million” as Want to Read:
DC One Million

DC One Million (DC: One Million)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  511 ratings  ·  27 reviews
One of the most exciting events in DC history is collected in this volume, reprinting the complex story taking place in our own 20th century and in the far-flung 853rd century — one million months after the publication of ACTION COMICS #1. This volume is a new printing of the previously released DC ONE MILLION collection.

Including the popular miniseries that tied the even
Published June 25th 1999 by Titan Books Ltd (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about DC One Million, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DC One Million

Matt
Brad
Grant Morrison delivers another great big-concept Justice League story, with most of the team transported to the 853rd century. The TPB is kind of loose, since the crossover affected SO MANY books. There are recap pages talking about things like “the Bizarro plague” that I wish I could’ve seen. And Solaris, the evil star, isn’t a great villain, but I do like how he uses Vandal Savage. Also neat is how the JLA members that don’t get transported forward are the ones that don’t have their own solo ...more
Abe
an unpleasant reminder of how awful DC/marvel were at compiling trade paperbacks before the mid-2000s. i don't even want to get into how horribly put-together this thing is. however, it's an interesting companion piece to morrison's later, always-stunning Superman All-Star (we're introduced here to Solaris the Tyrant Sun, as well as the Superman Dynasty). but really, avoid this thing and wait until the day when they put together all of the issues of DC One Million. this one only has about 1/3 of ...more
Chadwick
Superman. Punches. A. Hole. In. Time.
Lloyd
Here we are. A book that wasn't really part of Morrsion's run on "JLA", but a representation of a major event that went on all across the DC Universe as he was writing the title.

This volume, which was mostly written by Grant Morrison, sees him exploring comic book characters with his usual mind-bending topics such as iterations of the self, time travel, alternate realities and the like. Basically what happens is that the 20th century Justice League get swapped with each hero's counterpart from t
Bryson Kopf
This brought back those warm and fuzzy memories of Grant Morrison's fantastic run on JLA in the 1990s. I remembered this event happening when I was picking up comics when I was younger since every comic had a One Million issue for a month, but I completely missed connecting this event to what was happening in JLA. This is a shame for me since Morrison ties nearly everything in here to not only his JLA stuff, but also to his future All-Star Superman stories.

The story is pretty complicated; the or
Geremy
Ever wanted to better understand the mysteries that Morrison intricately sowed into the fabric of the DC universe? Better understand the intertexuality of Final Crisis? (Who wouldn’t want to better understand Final Crisis) How about better understand the many nuances in All-Star Superman (including the villain Solaris, different Supermen and the whole ‘working in the sun’ thing)? Well believe it or not a story published in 1999 has all of the answers.

DC One Million was Morrison’s first attempt o
Jdetrick
For a crossover this is pretty good, and some of what's included here is very good, but by its very nature it's more scattered and variable in quality than most of the JLA run. There's also some parts missing that make the story choppy, although the trade does try to fill in the gaps where it can.
Nicolas
Like all crazy mash-ups, it was too long and way too dense. However, there was a lot of cool stuff about it too. I enjoyed seeing Superman's line continue through time and I thought future Batman was pretty boss. I'm not sure what Huntress and Plastic Man were doing there though. Not a must-read, but you could do worse.
Dufour
Ambitious-- Morrison really went for it with this line-wide DC crossover. In fact, I seem to remember he actually plotted out every DC book released during the ONE MILLION month event, much to the chagrin of several other writers.

There's a lot missing from this book as a result of that though, and the collection's impact is lessened with text pages here and there that describe key story points that take place in other titles not collected. Because of the sheer insanity of what Morrison was tryin
Jeffrey
The concept behind this volume is interesting, but the major flaw is that what I want to read more of is the stories of the future rather than stories of the present generation of JLA. The stories of the various generations of the JLA, or at least the minor snippets we were given were just enough to really whet my appetite for more of those stories. Regrettably they were nothing more than flavor to fill in a history for the far future versions, and I would really love to have read more of those ...more
James
This was just an awful collection. I know that DC One Million spanned the whole line of DC books and there was no way to include them all, but it seems that many crucial plot points were left to one page recaps rather than having the stories included. Therefore the collection did not flow and made it more difficult to follow the perverse creativity of Grant Morrison. Also I wanted to see more of the future which was primarily what was cut from this collection.
So not necessarily shoddy creativel
K
To be honest, I read the first 20pages or so and thought I wasn't going to be as interested in the story as I had previously expected to be (seeing as I'm a time-travel junkie).
A couple of weeks later I said I'd have another go, and I'm glad I did because I found it more and more interesting as it progressed and enjoyed it to the very end.

If you're into the JLA, it's a must-have!
Jessica
A classic example of a fun, solid story ruined by a terrible tpb compilation. The trade was disjointed and confusing, and I should have followed my gut and waited to read the omnibus. Oh well.

2 stars, but I'm giving it an extra star because any story in which Big Barda has a particle cannon can't be all bad.
Matt
Nov 29, 2010 Matt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: jla
The only real downside of this story is the Val Semeiks art. Other than that, it's one of those utterly fantastic, over-the-top JLA stories that Morrison was so good at while he was writing the series. Definitely worth picking up.
Federiken Masters
Mar 05, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Morrisonistas y Ligueros.
Recommended to Federiken by: Su autor y que me salió sólo $20.
Ahora que tengo la edición española íntegra, espero poder leerla de pies a cabeza cuanto antes y seguro le escriba su correspondiente reseña. Espero que las historias extras estén al nivel.
Angela
A tad confusing storyline. Just an excuse for a tie-in really. The heroes are sent into the future to celebrate Superman or not. Disappointing.
Justin
It's fun read, but the set-up is pretty contrived and the collection feels a little incomplete. It gets ridiculous, but is worth the read.
John Yelverton
This book had no entertainment value whatsoever. This could even be qualified as an Elseworlds book, because it's just that bad.
Aaron Alvarez
It says a lot when tie-in issues are better than the main title. Great concept but really shoddy execution...nice ending though.
Gregor

I read it alongside all of the tie in comics , and I'm glad I did as it was a much more satisfying read .
J.R.
really interesting at some points, but the dialogue isn't that great and some of the plot points are weak.
Jared
Very convoluted and frantic, while still being pretty boring. I suggest skipping this one.
Craig
The included tie-ins are mostly guff, but the main Grant Morrison-penned arc is aces!
Davis
Awesome story, and Superman saves the day, as always
Daniel Burton-Rose
More genocide for fun.
Shanna
Action-adventure.
Ijkj123
Ijkj123 marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Adit Parmar
Adit Parmar marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
  • The Final Night
  • Formerly Known as the Justice League
  • Superman and the Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Zero Hour: Crisis in Time
  • Superman: Up, Up, and Away!
  • Showcase Presents Superman, Volume 1
  • Manhunter, Vol. 2: Trial by Fire
  • Justice League of America: The Nail
  • JLA: A League of One
  • JLA: Liberty and Justice
  • Batman: Strange Apparitions
Scottish comic book author Grant Morrison is known for culture-jamming and the constant reinvention of his work. He is known for his nonlinear narratives and countercultural leanings in his runs on titles including DC Comics' Animal Man, Batman, JLA, The Invisibles, Action Comics, All-Star Superman, and Doom Patrol, and Marvel Comics' New X-Men and Fantastic Four. Many of these are controversial, ...more
More about Grant Morrison...
Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth All-Star Superman, Vol. 1 We3 All-Star Superman, Vol. 2 Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn