Start by marking “Man Walks into a Pub” as Want to Read:
Man Walks into a Pub

Man Walks into a Pub

In MAN WALKS INTO A PUB, Pete Brown takes us on a well-lubricated pub-crawl through the amazing story of beer, from the first sacred sip of ancient Egyptian bouza to the last pint of lager on a Friday night. It's an extraordinary tale of yeast-obsessed monks and teetotal prime ministers; of how pale ale fuelled an Empire and weak bitter won a world war; of exploding brewer ...more
Published June 4th 2004 by Pan Macmillan (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Man Walks into a Pub, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man Walks into a Pub

Tom Webster
Nov 18, 2010 Tom Webster rated it it was amazing
I have read quite a few books on beer in the past and have found that typically they all have one thing in common: they are either monumentally dull or a total farce.

Weighty volumes that document the complete history of a particular brewery right down to what tiny changes were made to a particular recipe and when are all very well and good. No doubt they are of great interest to men with big bushy beards who wear cable knit jumpers and who carry note books around with them but they are a bit too
Trevor
Jan 15, 2012 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, history
I first saw this book, fittingly, in a pub some years ago (Montreal's Burgundy Lion). Flipping through it interested me enough that I made a mental note to look for a copy. When I recently found a revised and updated second edition, that was all the incentive I needed to read it.

Man Walks into a Pub is a history of beer and pub culture in Britain (although it doesn't mention it in the title, the perspective is very UK-centric). It contains enough detail to show that it was well-researched, yet t
Kristi Thielen
Aug 16, 2014 Kristi Thielen rated it it was amazing
Fun book, wittily written by a British adman with an extensive background in the beer industry. The breezy copy is punctuated with delightfully loopy footnotes which I found myself looking forward to.

Despite the humorous take on the subject, the author still provides a great deal of information about the ancient history of beer, the history of beer in Great Britain and the evolution of the pub. The latter - an institution in the UK - has undergone a number of renovations over the decades, someti
Chadwick
May 23, 2008 Chadwick rated it liked it
Recommends it for: HRMA students, nightclub entrepreneurs
Shelves: food, drinking
Enh. Brown spends way too much time denying any pretensions to expertise or intellectualism, writes a well-researched, coherent history of beer drinking amongst the English, and generally manages to be interesting or amusing about half of the time. It only actually gets really worthwhile when he starts discussing marketing and advertising, where his background in those fields makes him a little more compelling. The chapter on chain theme pubs is actually thought-provoking if you actually care ab ...more
Lara
Mar 26, 2008 Lara rated it it was ok
I read Pete Brown's second book first and it was a lot more fun than this one. The second book details his travels around the beer-drinking world - my kinda trip! This book is the history of beer and the pub - yawn. There were some interesting factoids - the Heineken special yeast was "kidnapped" and held hostage at one point - but mostly it was pretty boring stuff. Still, it made me want to pack up and head to England for more pub experiences. Mmmm, beer.
Tom Webster
Aug 05, 2013 Tom Webster rated it it was amazing
Whilst the jokey, blokey tone can wear a tad thin on occasion,some of the jokes sound a bit too much like my Grandad made them. The engaging nature of Brown's writing works as a fine counterpoint to the near academic approach applied to the subject at hand by some of his contemporaries.

I am sure there is undoubtedly a large number of heavily bearded men in cardigans who need to know the precise output of Bass Charrington for Jan-March 1989, I am not one of them.

Neither are most of the people I k
Jakey Gee
Mar 17, 2012 Jakey Gee rated it it was ok
A curate's egg and probably better if you do enjoy a chatty companion. His preface to the 2010 edition says how he's reined in the worst of the dad-joke footnotes, but I still found myself rolling my eyes at plenty of them (things like 'Don't ask me what that even means. Really' and 'As you do'). But they're well meant. I also got a bit wound up by the jingoism of some of the tone, which can feel a bit Clarksonian (lines like 'that's the French for you' and 'we're British, after all') - which, i ...more
Carla Coulston
Jan 31, 2012 Carla Coulston rated it liked it
This book was given to my husband for Christmas and I only picked it up because of a dire lack of anything to read at the time. Being a dyed-in-the-wool wine drinker, I have no interest whatsoever in beer, or the history of it; but it was a book, and it was the only option available at the time.
Well! I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised. 90% of this book's charm is due to the author's funny and engaging style of writing, and I kept reading mostly for that; but as I found, the history of be
Daniel Etherington
Despite Brown writing the book in a jokey, blokey style, it's actually almost academic in its scope and thesis. So the thing that frustrates me most about this edition is the lack of index. There are so many fascinating pieces of information that it'd be good to be able to look them up. Similarly, although he packs the book with footnotes, these are generally funny asides. That's all well and good, and some of them made me laugh out loud, but I'd kinda like to have proper references for his sour ...more
Heather
I love, love, love when someone writes a book that involves PhD-levels of research but presents it in an engaging way that's sort of an irreverently academic self-deprecating memoir. I especially love it when the thesis is as grandiose as: "Beer is the root cause behind the emergence of civilization." Bill Bryson-y, I guess, is the best way to describe this book. But later Bryson. After Into the Woods.
Brad
Sep 01, 2013 Brad rated it really liked it
Not knowing quite what to expect, I found the book to be a great read, very funny and full of quotable trivia. Although beer and beer culture are the focus, the author does a great job of using the topic to shine a light on cultural shifts and tensions. The book begins in the deep past, and is quite funny, becoming more serious as the account becomes more contemporary, reflecting, I believe, the authors passion for the subject. All in all, a worthwhile and recommended read.
Rob Godfrey
Sep 04, 2012 Rob Godfrey rated it really liked it
The title says it all.
This is a very sociable book that explores the history of ale/beer and how we continue to consume it with relish, despite its all to evident unpleasant side effects.
Reading the introduction and the very long list of words we use for getting or being drunk brought tears of laughter to my eyes.
A thoroughly enjoyable book, although sometimes the 'laddish' commentary was sometimes a bit overused.
Brett Parker
Over all a good book, I've actually got the Kindle edition which doesn't seem to be listed in the options - the only annoying thing is that 3rd level footnotes don't link to the right place - but there's only a few of those, and weirdly the 4th level works again (there's only one of those!). Fun read :)
Paul
Sep 14, 2010 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, drinking
An enthralling, engaging and thoroughly researched journey around British beer and drinking habits. Pete Brown has a very down to earth style which he effectively employs to reveal a multitude of fascinating facts and dispel many myths over 5000 years of brewing and ale-supping. A must read for anyone interested in the history of beer!
Chris
Feb 02, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book about the history of beer and pubs in England. Brown adds enough humor to keep the book fun. At the same time he has a lot of knowledge on the subject and provides plenty of facts about beer. I found the history of the breweries particularly interesting given how similar that is to what is currently going on with many breweries in the states.
Eloise
An expansive and engaging history of Beer and it's drinking in England that doesn't take itself too seriously, written by someone who clearly loves his subject. Plenty of material for beer fans or social historians to enjoy (perfect for historians who like beer).
I should have guessed Brown was from Barnsley.
Brian
Apr 20, 2015 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting history of the beer and pub business as it relates to the culture of the UK from the very beginning to the present. Brown presents the information in a light and entertaining manner. Be forewarned, there is a LOT of information here. Only read this if you want to go deep into this topic. ;)
Gareth Davies
Nov 28, 2015 Gareth Davies rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-beer
An interesting meandering look at the British brewing industry with a good focus on the public house systems all the way from the origins and beer wives. Worth a look for any fan of beer history and especially the British context.
John Welch
Jan 13, 2014 John Welch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite an interesting book. It is a social history of beer and pubs in the UK. It's not an acedemic book, but a light hearted introduction to the complex relationship us Brits have had with beer and pubs.
Rachel Knickmeyer
Feb 23, 2014 Rachel Knickmeyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, nonfiction
A fun read for anyone with a passion for beer and the places where we drink beer. I'd love to read a similar writeup of American drinking habits, but this peak into the English love affair with beer was entertaining even for this outsider.
Katherine Simmons
Apr 12, 2013 Katherine Simmons rated it it was amazing
Engaging style of writing covering the origins of the pub and how social drinking has evolved.
Allyson Shaw
Jun 19, 2009 Allyson Shaw rated it really liked it
A conversational history of beer by my favourite beer writer.
Danyil Malukha
Jan 06, 2015 Danyil Malukha rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
good
Todd
Jul 07, 2014 Todd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very casual tone belies a rather complex examination of the interaction of social mores, government regulation, desire, prudishness, and unintended consequences.
Liv Walker
Aug 19, 2012 Liv Walker rated it really liked it
Enjoyable book with a host of quirky facts and stories about the National Obsession. I read the original version - would be interested to read his update - the resurgence of cider and microbreweries
Stephen
Mar 31, 2011 Stephen rated it really liked it
humourous and funny look at the history of beer and also looking at the social and politics of the modern day world of the pub but well worth reading though
Paul Gallear
May 24, 2013 Paul Gallear rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As informative as it was entertaining.
Simon
Jul 08, 2007 Simon rated it liked it
Nice diversion from a man who respects and yet still doesn't quite understand his subject.
Steve
Nov 11, 2011 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit dry! And not as interesting as Three Sheets. Having said that I will get and read the third beer book he wrote
Colleen
Apr 16, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love Pete Brown!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • By the Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers, and Olympic Champions
  • Culinaria: Germany
  • Fish on Friday: Feasting, Fasting, and the Discovery of the New World
  • Giants, Monsters, and Dragons: An Encyclopedia of Folklore, Legend, and Myth
  • The Western Lit Survival Kit: An Irreverent Guide to the Classics, from Homer to Faulkner
  • Ring of Fire III
  • The Age of Louis XIV (The Story of Civilization, #8)
  • The Vikings
  • In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother
  • The Dorothy Dunnett Companion
  • All the King's Cooks: The Tudor Kitchens of King Henry VIII at Hampton Court Palace
  • From the Folks Who Brought You the Weekend: A Short, Illustrated History of Labor in the United States
  • Kings County Distillery Guide to Urban Moonshining
  • "Socialism Is Great!": A Worker's Memoir of the New China
  • Brewed Awakening: Behind the Beers and Brewers Leading the World's Craft Brewing Revolution
  • Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket
  • The Homebrewer's Companion
There is more than one author with this name

Pete Brown is an English writer who has written extensively on the subject of beer and drinking cultures around the world. He has written three books; Man Walks Into a Pub, Three Sheets to the Wind, and Hops and Glory. Brown was born in Barnsley, South Yorkshire and now lives in London.

Above bio is from Wikipedia. Photo is from Flickr user epicbeer.
More about Pete Brown...

“In ancient Babylon King Hammurabi (the same bloke who decided barmaids could be drowned for serving short measures) decreed that the introduction of political debate into beer shops was an offence punishable by – you guessed it – death.” 0 likes