Start by marking “Bone: Stupid Stupid Rat-Tails (The Adventures of Big Johnson Bone, Frontier Hero)” as Want to Read:

Bone: Stupid Stupid Rat-Tails (Bone)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  539 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Cartoon Books announces the release of the Stupid, Stupid Rat Tails graphic novel featuring the work of Jeff Smith, Tom Sniegoski and Stan Sakai. This 104-page trade paperback includes the compilation of The Adventures of Big Johnson Bone, Frontier Hero which was released as a three-part mini-series by Cartoon Books. Discover every hilarious twist and turn of the fast-pace ...more
Published April 3rd 2000 by Cartoon Books (first published March 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone

Sean
Honestly, I think this is probably the single greatest thing to come out of the Bone series. Absolutely hilarious from page one to the end. Highly recommended, especially for those who have always found tall tales a hoot.

Familiarity with the Bone series helps, but isn't required.
Eden
I love the Bone series and decided to read this little spin-off. But, upon reading it, I found out I had already read this story of Big Johnson Bone - It was in the Tall Tales book! The difference with that book is that Smiley and Bartleby appear. In that book Smiley and Bartleby are taking the Bone Scouts out camping, and while camping, Smiley decides to tell them about Big Johnson Bone.

The story was enjoyable to read again. I really liked reading it in Tall Tales as well.

This book also has ano
Monique
This is my first introduction to Tom Sniegoski's writing, and I am pretty unimpressed. If I had to describe his style it would be predictable, cliched and obnoxious. Jeff Smith and Stan Sakai do a fine job illustrating, but its hard to bring such a distasteful and disappointing cast of characters to life.

The story at the end of the book, with Riblet, is particularly awful. I feel bad for the Rat Creatures and keep hoping that pig would just die. I have the feeling we are suppose to find his ant
Moira Fogarty
I love Jeff Smith's work - his black and white art is exceptionally good. Fine, tapered lines, expressive faces, nicely scaled perspective, believable motion, and a perfect balance of flat black shadows and clean white backdrops. Never cluttered, never fussy. There's detail; fur on hats and carvings on rock, wispy bark texture on trees and ice crystals in snowflakes. But a face can be as simple as a long, wavering eyebrow over an ink-blot eye, and a one-line nose that curves into a mouth.

Everyt
☺Trish
Having loved Jeff Smith's Bone series (especially the oh, so funny fearsome Rat Creatures), I looked forward to an enjoyable evening reading Bone: Stupid Stupid Rat-Tails. I was not disappointed. The Stupid Stupid Rat-Tails portion of the comic, written by Tom Sniegoski and drawn by Jeff Smith, contains tall tales about the adventures of one of Bone's ancestors, the legendary Big Johnson Bone, Frontier Hero & the founder of Boneville (and also includes a fable about why the Rat Creatures fro ...more
Ryan
This was a fun little spin-off series dealing with one of Bone's ancestors, Big Johnson Bone. Set in the same valley that Bone finds years later, this story was written in the style of old folk legends, as the visiting hero helps rescue the local townspeople from an evil queen. And, along the way, we also learn the important moral of why Rat Creatures wear their tails short, rather than long.

If you've read the Bone series, you'll probably get a kick out of this, but if not, you probably won't re
J.
This trip away from the main Bone storyline works really well: it's got an entertaining plot that uses the concept of tall tale really well, a great sense of humor (including some in-jokes for readers of Bone), and Smith's art looks as good as ever (plus, we get a story drawn by the masterful Stan Sakai, as well.) This volume isn't as weighty as Bone (either in terms of plot, or in terms of physical weight, since I read the one-volume edition of Bone), but it's a good read.
Raven
The Stupid thing from this book is the second story...
the first story about Bone is amazing. I'd love to give it 5 stars. Big Johnson Bone is a big-mouthed and you cannot tell when he's lying, but his confident and skills were worth it.

About the second story? The main character, the little pig, is really,really annoying. It's the only time when I felt sorry for the rat creatures.
William
Some fun stories that are prequels to the Bone series by Jeff Smith. There are actually two stories in this book done by different writers and artists. The first story is fun and creative well the second is kind of immature and just fluff. It is a fun read and highly recommended for those who have already read the Bone series, not as good on its own.
Jdetrick
I love the Bone story, and even though this story wasn't written by Jeff Smith, it's still got the fun and warmth that his series has. Plus we get some stories drawn by Stan Sakai....what more could you want?
Anna
Cute and fun. I think I liked the story more because we saw the origins of the tailless rat creatures and the snowy forest. Otherwise, this volume wasn't all that spectacular. I especially didn't like the last story about the autistic pig (except for the two stupid rat creatures).
Justin
May 17, 2011 Justin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bone fans
A fun spin off of the Bone series. There's a greater focus on humor, which isn't a bad thing, but makes for a more shallow read. While I did enjoy it, I really wouldn't recommend Stupid, Stupid Rat Tails to anyone other than Bone fans.
Katrina
Falling off my seat, rolling on the floor laughing! I love Jeff Smith. His characters are just so unique and fun. If you love Smiley Bone, you will love Big Johnson Bone - the tall taleing explorer.

Stupid, Stupid Rat Creatures!
Husti
La primera historia tiene sus gracietas.

La segunda (dibujada por Stan Sakai)me puso tan de los nervios como el cerdito protagonista a sus compañeros. No sé si eso es bueno o es malo.
Andre
A bone book of tall tales. A nice story that recaptures the essence of the series. Sadly, the 2nd story in the book was inferior and brought the experience down.
Doug
I had a lot of fun reading this to Ryley. Probably four star fun. But if I read it by myself I think it would be three star fun.
Indah Threez Lestari
Funny adventure, jadi tahu asal usul kenapa monster tikus di serial Bone nggak punya ekor...
Angga Satriya
Gambarnya keren, hidup dan ceritanya meski banyak tulisannya sangat enak dibaca ^_^
Very funny and a great addition to the actual Bone series.
Brendan Doan
Very cool. This was just very funny and was just great.
PWRL
Jun 27, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Oliver Chen
Oliver Chen marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Brooke H
Brooke H marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
HAMNA
HAMNA is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2015
Philip Schläfli
Philip Schläfli marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 9: Daisho (Usagi Yojimbo #9)
  • Strangers in Paradise, Volume 7: Sanctuary
  • Polly and the Pirates, Volume 1 (Polly & the Pirates, #1)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 1 (Mouse Guard)
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See other authors with similar names.

Born and raised in the American mid-west, Jeff Smith learned about cartooning from comic strips, comic books, and watching animation on TV. In 1991, he launched a company called Cartoon Books to publish his comic book BONE, a comedy/adventure about three lost cousins from B
More about Jeff Smith...

Bone (10 books)
  • Bone, Vol. 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1)
  • Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2)
  • Bone, Vol. 3: Eyes of the Storm (Bone, #3)
  • Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4)
  • Bone, Vol. 5: Rock Jaw, Master of the Eastern Border (Bone, #5)
  • Bone, Vol. 6: Old Man's Cave (Bone, #6)
  • Bone, Vol. 7: Ghost Circles (Bone, #7)
  • Bone, Vol. 8: Treasure Hunters (Bone, #8)
  • Bone, Vol. 9: Crown of Horns (Bone #9)
  • Rose (Bone, #0)
Bone, Vol. 1: Out from Boneville (Bone, #1) Bone Bone, Vol. 4: The Dragonslayer (Bone, #4) Bone, Vol. 2: The Great Cow Race (Bone, #2) Bone, Vol. 9: Crown of Horns (Bone #9)