Start by marking “The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine, #1)

The Personal Shopper (Annie Valentine #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  1,315 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Meet Annie Valentine: stylish, savvy, multi-tasker extraordinaire.

As a personal shopper in a swanky London fashion store, Annie can re-style and re-invent her clients from head to toe. In fact, this super-skilled dresser can be relied on to solve everyone's problems . . . except her own.

Although she's a busy single mum to stroppy teen Lana and painfully shy Owen, there's a
Published July 2nd 2007 by Corgi (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Personal Shopper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Personal Shopper

The Princess Diaries by Meg CabotRomeo and Juliet by William ShakespeareThe Luxe by Anna GodbersenPerfect by Sara ShepardThe Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa
In the Pink
293rd out of 1,085 books — 383 voters

More lists with this book...

I was really excited to read this book, because I'm somewhat of a shopaholic, and I sell clothing on eBay, just like the main character. However, I was somewhat disappointed in this book.[return[returnThe way the main character, Annie, speaks was just downright annoying. All the "babes" and "darlin"s that kept popping up drove me crazy. I wanted to slap her! And I just could not believe how quickly she capitulated in her job, or furthered her relationships - seemed unrealistic. Annie was flawed, ...more
Dont' want to hide this, but there are some light spoilers in the review ;)

What I usually expect from a chick-lit is to have a quite unlikely story that makes me mostly laugh, and in which is clear from the beginning who will be the prince charming in the end.
This time I haven't had this impression here. Annie, the personal shopper and main character is somehow someone who the writer would like to be a real person. Someone who has a family to take care of, and in the meanwhile would like to mee
Meet Annie Valentine: stylish, savvy, multi-tasker extraordinaire. As a personal shopper in a swanky London fashion store, Annie can re-style and re-invent her clients from head to toe. In fact, this super-skilled dresser can be relied on to solve everyone’s problems . . . except her own. Although she’s a busy single mum to stroppy teen Lana and painfully shy Owen, there’s a gap in Annie’s wardrobe – sorry, life – for a new man. But finding the perfect partner is turning out to be so much tricki ...more
Jill Elizabeth
Today’s book review is a nice light-hearted romp into the magical world of shopping in high-fashion London.

The Personal Shopper is the tale of Annie Valentine, a single mum of two who works at a posh London department store as a – duh – personal shopper. She helps the extremely wealthy (and the occasional friend/colleague) invent and reinvent themselves through clothes and accessories. She’s a sassy, saucy, sweetheart of a character, which of course means she runs afoul of a horrid boss, well-m
I've never read anything by Carmen Reid before, so I decided to check this out.
Annie Valentine has the perfect job...she's a personal shopper and spends all day choosing clothes for people. She has two children, Owen and Lana. Lana is the typical rebelling teen, but Owen is more interesting. She used to be married, but we don't find out what happened to her husband until the end. I was genuinely shocked, it was something I never saw coming. Never.
Annie is very lonely and desperate to find a new
Kat A
Unfortunately, I read the sequel to this book before the original, so I had a bit of strange pre-knowledge going in. Annie Valentine is even more annoying in this book, and this is the one that intros her! She is good at her job, and the personal shopping angle is quite interesting as is the dynamic with her children. This book explains how Annie and Ed get together. Overall, the story was good, as I definitely kept reading, but the one thing I really didn't like was the way the author kept Rodd ...more
This book was just so funny. Right at the start you're lead to believe that Annie Valentine's husband has left her with their rebellious teenage daughter and very shy son. Annie's best friend is gay and he really brings a lot of humour to the book. I think he was my favourite character. She works as a personal shopper in a huge shop called "The Store" she's very good at her job and has a few other things that she does on the side to support her family.

All the characters are pretty lovable apart
This book is really cute and nice! :)
I was looking for something light and fun after reading a very long series. I only ended up finishing the book because I didn't want to start the year off by quitting a book. I didn't like it very much. The story could have been fun, but Annie, the main character is a vapid and neurotic b*tch. The way that she describes people she sees on the street is horrendous. She only cares about people if they can do something for her. Oh, you're not rich? Well you can bloody well f*ck off then. Annie will ...more
Annie Valentine has got to be one of the most vapid wenches ever conceived. Nothing remotely likeable about her or her kids and her parenting skills are shameful, fiction or not. Boring and predictable, I only finished it because I needed something mindless to do on my son's first day back at school. I am regretting that choice, as it's time I will never get back.
I really, really liked this book! I enjoy chick lit, and was expecting a light, breezy read. This, while somewhat traditionally light, went beyond the normal chick lit and had some depth to it, including a twist that was WAY unexpected. I loved Annie and Ed, Lana, Owen, and Conner. I can't wait to the read the next in this series!
Inge (Inge1990)
Beetje voorspelbaar. Annie Valentine is personal shopper van beroep, en je raad het al: dol op mode. Ze heeft haar man verloren en stuurt haar kinderen naar een dure school. In haar zoektocht naar een nieuwe man is ze op zoek naar een rijke man die haar kan helpen. Maar eigenlijk wil ze tegelijkertijd geen hulp omdat ze altijd alles alleen heeft gedaan.

Een golddigger eerste klas, die verstand boven hart laat gaan maar uiteindelijk toch haar hart gaat volgen. Heerlijk voorspelbaar en gedachteloos
3.5 stars - This is my first Carmen Reid book. It was lovely. The beginning was good, then it got a little slow (I blame the Roddy flashbacks). Once it picked up it was hard to put down. If you enjoy chick-lit literature with a little romance, fashion, lots of shopping, and fun characters ... give this a go.

Yeahs ::

* I enjoyed reading Annie's personal shopping experiences. It was fashionably witty.
* Ed and Annie's relationship build up was done very well. It was sweet and realistic. The reader
In questo periodo di crisi in cui apro il portafoglio e vedo solamente scontrini e quindi lo shopping è limitato alle cose di prima necessità, mi sono detta: "perché non leggere un libro che parla di shopping??"
Purtroppo però la voglia di fare acquisti non mi è passata, ma parliamo del libro..

Mi dispiace dirlo, ma nulla di nuovo sotto il sole!
Se cambiassimo nome della scrittrice e mettessimo Sophie Kinsella, avremmo un altro libro della serie "I love shopping"! Questo non vuol essere un offesa p
Nov 12, 2011 Agi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Oi. It's the second time that I've read this book. This time I would give it three stars, not four, but let it stay it this way.
Too much about nothing, not a lot of action, and a lot about clothes. Of course there was happening something from time to time, but it came suddenly, it was very fast finished and came never again. OK, the characters are very nice, I actually liked them all, they were warm and friendly, typical family with its problems: school, work, money, love life... Some funny mome
This book had some really great moments. The book had me laughing at some of the sub stories that occur within the plot line. The story also had me teary at one point. My main complaint about the book was that the plot was all over the place at the beginning of the book. It wasn't until about half way through that the plot and the focus of the book came into focus, before that it seemed to be random vignettes from the life of a personal shopper. (although they were great stories so I kept readin ...more
This book was more of a 3.5/5. Carmen Reid is a well known author of chick lit and having read a previous title by her, or two, this book, the first in her Annie Valentine or Shopper series is very well written. Annie's struggle to come to grips with Roddy's desertion and dealing with her two children all on a tight budget is not going well. She's lonely too and her lovely job as a personal shopper at The Store is becoming painful due to a mean boss.

Carmen Reid does a great job at keeping the p
Rebecca Hill
I loved this book !! has everything I like in it. Beautiful clothes, personal shopping and interesting female lead (with cool family). I liked pretty much everythign about this book. I would highly reccomend this book to anyone who likes titles like, confessions of a shopaholic and really anyone that likes chick-lit. Great story. Awesome subject.
Dora Okeyo
This story follows Annie- a great personal shopper who can transform clients within seconds from drab to fab, but her only challenge is settling for the right man.
She has two kids Lana and Owen- and somewhere along the way meets Ed- Owen's teacher- they share a kiss, and her best friend Connor asks her to get together with the guy because he's perfect for her.

I loved this story- towards the end, let's say the last twenty pages because it had more of Annie accepting who she is and dealing with he
A little obvious who the main character was going to end up with, but overall an entertaining read. Thought the breakdowns of character's outfits laid out at the start of each chapter was a great touch.
This book is fun and an easy read. It definitely falls under the chick lit category and would be great holiday reading.
Dovrei averlo capito da tempo, ma ci casco sempre.
I chick-lit, dopo un certo numero, diventano indigesti. Prevedibili fin dalle prime battute, perennemente alla ricerca della stessa fama che ha ottenuto la kinsella - ma senza riuscirci (ma provando ad inserire un po' delle sue dinamiche), e con il sapore di "già detto già visto già letto".
Questo mi è risultato insipido, le scene che avfrebbero dovuto far ridere mi hanno solo fatto un po' di pena e... insomma lo sto stroncando, lo so.
Ma la col
Finished the book I brought to my old school and picked this one up to spend some time. Not really my style with all the brand names and the lifestyle of overspending to impress. Figured out early on who she would end up with. I was confused once the author revealed the reason her husband's not around, but I could swear there was divorce mentioned too as to why she had a friend. I might have to go back and reread that section to confirm. It's a really quick read despite the fact that I'm not up ...more
Romance? love?
Lust and infatuation.
A very pink book about extremely superficial people and their "problem" presenting themselves to the world: I don't have a thing to wear! Shopping here I come!
The answer to every problem from post divorce depression to a grieving widow is dress up, put a good face on it, esp. in a designer label, and sachet forth and conquer.
But there is a touching side to this story. I wish I could like the character more and the way she coped.
Yo-yos between just being a bit of light-hearted fun and being shallow rubbish. If read this book shouldn't be taken too seriously. The main character, Annie Valentine, can at times seem like an annoying, shallow bimbo who puts herself before her kids, but I did start feeling sorry for her towards the end. And the book finishes at a point that left me wondering whether or not I should read the sequel to see what happens next...
Vicky Thomasson
I found the first 150 pages very difficult and a little boring to read, which is a shame because the story is actually not that bad once it finally gets going. It's a typical chick flick kinda read and I liked the characters. Found the odd bit amusing, like the roof top jacuzzi bit. Like I said, it's a shame the the story didn't pick up a bit quicker but all in all, it was an ok read.
Carmen Reid's writing is just so addictive. It reminds me in some ways of Sophie Kinsella's (which I really enjoy). What surprised me about this chick lit is that there was an element of surprise and a tear-jerking moment. It was well written, easy to read and enjoyable! Definitely one to recommend.
Good books?! 1 4 Jan 20, 2014 02:44PM
  • The Secret Shopper's Revenge
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • I Never Fancied Him Anyway
  • Wedding Tiers
  • Daddy's Girls
  • Forget me not
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
Carmen was born and brought up in a chilly and windy corner of Scotland in the depths of the countryside.

This may explain her lifelong phobia of cows and abiding interest in cities, department stores, books, the cinema and newspapers.

She is currently working on her eigth novel for grown-ups and her third novel for teenagers. Well, she likes to keep busy.

Carmen did once study English Literature at
More about Carmen Reid...

Annie Valentine (6 books)
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • How Not To Shop (Annie Valentine, #3)
  • The Celebrity Shopper (Annie Valentine, #4)
  • New York Valentine (Annie Valentine, #5)
  • Shopping With the Enemy (Annie Valentine, #6)