Start by marking “Child Bride” as Want to Read:
Child Bride

Child Bride

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  39 reviews
With three steamy books by the women in Elvis's life already published (1997's Elvis: In the Twilight of Memory by June Juanico; Priscilla Beaulieu Presley's 1991 tell-all, Elvis and Me; and Joyce Bova's Don't Ask Forever: My Love Affair with Elvis), can the world absorb another? Suzanne Finstad, author of Child Bride: The Untold Story of Priscilla Beaulieu Presley, certai ...more
Published October 1st 1998 by Arrow Books Ltd (first published August 12th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Child Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child Bride

The writing is pretty corny, but I am still giving it 5 stars because without this jewel of semi-solid investigative journalism, the world would not know the real Priscilla. And she is totally fascinating and it's totally our business. Plus, later Elvis bios site the bejeezus out of this.

Yes, the point of this book is to discredit her autobiography "Elvis and Me." But I disagree with other reviewers that the author was mean spirited towards Priscilla, I felt a sympathetic vibe.
This book was the literary equivalent of a train wreck you can't help but stare at as you go by. As many times as I wanted to throw the book down and stop reading it altogether, I couldn't. I could get past the anger this author seemed to feel against Priscilla for whatever reason and I could even get past how she made Elvis seem easily manipulated to do things he didn't want to do, because I honestly believed almost everything in this book was severely embellished. But what I couldn't get past ...more

Although it's hard to take the fairy tale of Priscilla's Elvis and Me at face value, it's equally as hard to accept as truth Finstad's portrait of Priscilla as a cold, heartless harpy. Instead, I reco
I don't really know what to make of reading this book. I own and have read twice (2nd time was last month) Priscilla's memoir Elvis and Me. So I have read what th lady herself had to say about ther relationship with Elvis and now what others say about it. I believe the truth must be somewhere in between the two. I don't believe every word of either, but think they both contain their own truths.

Back to this book. It does appear be author has done her home work. I felt at times the book was a lit
Kathy Gebhart
No one will ever know the real story what happened between Elvis Presley and Priscilla Presley. This book is probably closest to the truth than the others written. I never believed that Priscilla's step dad and mother were not behind Priscilla's romance to Elvis especially when they "allowed" her to basically move into Graceland when she was just 17 when she was months away from graduating from high school. I could not help but feel sorry for Priscilla dedicating her youth to please Elvis. Those ...more
Agree with Dawn who said ' I found the author's treatment of the ex-Mrs. Presley's life to be thorough, but oddly mean-spirited. Finstad seems to feel that Priscilla Presley is a vain, self-serving charlatan who grew up with lies, based her relationship with Elvis on lies, and has lied about pretty much everything ever since.

I hate biographies where the author has a personal grudge with their subject. The author kept on attacking Priscilla Presley, and it started to get annoying after awhile.

It wasn't a bad book, it was just annoying at times.

This book mostly talked about how Priscilla wasn't the most innocent teenager/girlfriend/wife in the world.

Found this in the library discard pile when bringing leftover book sale books to the salvation army. Picked it out for fun, and fun it was! All sorts of interesting dirt on life with Elvis and on Priscilla. I'mNot typically a gossip reader, but enjoyed the dirt in this book. If it oz true, it crushes the Elvis/Priscilla myth
This author hates Priscilla Presley. I don't know why but her vendetta against her is absolutely absurd. There's so much speculation, little facts, with quotes from Priscilla's book which I probably should have just read in the first place. It feels like it was written by Regina George from Mean Girls. I could overlook all of that bc I generally like gossipy trash BUT she lost me when she sided with Priscilla's rapist. I stopped reading after she told the rapist's story and used it to call Prisc ...more
It'll change your view, just a bit, of Priscilla. She didn't want this book published; it tells a very different story from her fairy tale life with EP, and for me, the puzzle pieces fit. That's all I'll say.
Tammy Heath
The Child Bride was a very well put together book about who Priscilla is and who she never will be.

I gave the biography a 5 because I feel the research was done to make the bio as truthful as it could be because the only people who know the truth are the ones who can't and the ones who no the truth won't. I found the bio very interesting and I see Priscilla as a little girl to a women that I hope will one day tell the truth and set her soul free. Keep and open mind while reading what is the trut
I couldn't get past Chapter 7. The writing was corny and juvenile. If I had read this in the 8th grade I could've given it 5 stars. There was too much "commentary" from other people who had "known" Priscilla (memories always fade or embellish with age) and not enough meat and potatoes. Priscilla was portrayed as a major Elvis fan before she met him (which may or may not be true) and a bit of a harlot by the age of 12-13. Nothing rang true for me in this book. I had a hard time believing anything ...more
Got bored with too many conflicting statements.

I quit around forth way. Not what I expected. However considering Priscilla young age I can believe she would twist facts to protect herself. Her parents were very trusting, stupid, or paid off as I see it. However Curry comes off as a pervert. Pushing to get her to admit they had sex. I quit reading before the marriage.
Lies,sex, greed and deception

This book whether true or not shows the length some people will go to to attain a perceived childhood goal.
You know the old adage be careful what you wish for because when you get it ,it may not be what you want=Priscilla Presley.

Angela Cornell
This book was very interesting in giving a different aspect of Priscilla and Elvis' life together. It wasn't sugar coated like 'Elvis and Me' and I tended to believe this version more than I did of Priscilla's version, it made much more sense.
A helluva lot more believable than "Elvis and Me", which is just bs from start to finish. The author was scathing at times but did an excellent job of showing probable reasons why Priscilla did what she did and why she maintained so many lies. Guess what. She's human. She was so very young when she met Elvis. How any woman could stand that lifestyle with Elvis is beyond me.
Cherie Reeves
such drama. It seems like Priscilla cannot keep her story straight regarding her relationship with Elvis. Pushed into the relationship with Elvis at the age of 14 by her mother is just a messy story.
I read this a very long time ago, when I was about 18 or 19. (Yeah it wa THAT long ago lol) It was interesting, although it is hard to decipher what is the truth and what isn't.
Really liked it but I've heard it's pretty inaccurate.... :S
Greetje Raftopoulou-heuving
There was a big amount of research for this book,which makes it very accurate. Outcome not very pretty for Priscilla though.
beginning was interesting.... end was slow
I was excited to read this book and find out about their lives together. However, I don't understand why the author wanted to write about Priscilla and Elvis as it seemed she really didn't like them. The book was more of a "tell anything bad I come across during research" book. I was very disappointed but if you are looking for trash, this is the book for you.
So very sad!I felt for all involved. But mostly for the poor man made into a Legend!
Gossipy and dishy as expected
This book made me more of a fan of Priscillas. It made her seem like more of a real person and I could relate to her more with this book than her own. Some of it is a little out there and the author does seem to have a grudge against her. It really seems like she's simply jealous. It's pretty easy to tell the true parts from the fake because the fake parts are wild conclusions drawn from nothing really. I would recommend it just don't let the authors attempt to bring Cilla down get too you.
I quit. I just quit. I can no longer endure another word of this he said she said garbage. I. DON'T. CARE. Not even a little bit. and I don't know why I ever thought I did. Obviously Priscilla led an interesting life, & clearly the author wanted to get the facts straight, but she went about it the wrong way. I hated the constant repeating of every little detail. just get on with it! Priscilla's a liar, you did your research, ok, now tell us what happened next. Ugh. I gave up at 41%.
While thorough and full of "truth", this account of Priscilla's life comes off as very mean spirited. For understandable reasons, Priscilla's autobiography bends the truth to maintain her and Elvis' dignity.
The author of Child Bride seemed to be on a mission to tear her apart and expose her. That left a sour taste in my mouth. Priscilla even gave interviews at the author's house. Um, you're welcome!
2.5 stars for all the research but did she deserve this??
Could it be any more obvious that Suzanne Finstad does not, um, care for Priscilla Presley?
Did not care for her writing style at all.
Glad I read the book though, at least I know now not to fill my Kindle with any more of her works.

Never so glad for a book to end.

And I remain a Priscilla Presley fan.
I tried to give this book a chance, but I just can't do it.

I made it to chapter 18.

The author of this book basically speculates that Priscilla's memoir was untrue. I don't agree.
I couldn't finish this book after I read the part about Elvis dying. I'm not sure I will ever read this book to the end. It was very sad and disturbing. I still like Elvis.
  • Baby, Let's Play House: Elvis Presley and the Women Who Loved Him
  • Elvis: My Best Man: Radio Days, Rock 'n' Roll Nights, and My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley
  • Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley
  • Me and a Guy Named Elvis: My Lifelong Friendship with Elvis Presley
  • Elvis and Me
  • Starting Over
  • Uncle John's Bathroom Reader Tunes into TV
  • Mousejunkies!: Tips, Tales, and Tricks for a Disney World Fix: All You Need to Know for a Perfect Vacation
  • Elvis and Ginger: Elvis Presley's Fiancée and Last Love Finally Tells Her Story
  • How to Survive the Titanic: or, The Sinking of J. Bruce Ismay