Start by marking “Colorado Kid ” as Want to Read:
Colorado Kid

Colorado Kid

3.27  ·  Rating Details ·  20,536 Ratings  ·  1,690 Reviews
Pour deux vieux busards du journalisme tels que Dave Bowie et Vince Teague, la présence dans leur petit hebdomadaire local de la ravissante Stephanie McCann est un bain de jouvence. Et comment donner plus sûrement à l'exquise stagiaire l'envie de rester, si ce n'est en lui révélant l'insoluble énigme qui les tenaille et qu'ils gardent jalousement depuis vingt-cinq ans ? Ce ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 158 pages
Published May 12th 2006 by J'ai Lu (first published October 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Colorado Kid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colorado Kid

Feb 09, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is King's entry into the "Hard Case Crime" imprint, and it's an interesting addition to the genre. According to their website, they specialize in "hardboiled crime fiction," which brings to mind the likes of Mickey Spillane and Ellmore Leonard. Lots of tough guys, fast-talking women and some poor dead bastard whose murder will probably get away scot free.

So it's interesting that King should write a hardboiled crime story with, as his characters tell us over and over again, no story to it. "
Jennifer Wardrip
I picked up this book, not because I'm a Stephen King fan (although I am), but because it was part of the new Hard Case Crime division of Dorchester Publishing. I'll admit, the variety of authors they've collected to write for them is extensive, and THE COLORADO KID just happened to be the first one in the Hard Case group to make it to the top of my to-be-read pile.

I understand, after reading THE COLORADO KID, why so many people on here posted negative reviews. I understand, because just like t
M.K.  Carroll
Aug 03, 2008 M.K. Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a point in time where I thought King had lost his touch - I've always thought of him as a superb storyteller but there were a few books after the accident that just didn't hold my attention. I started one of them over a few times and finally gave up. I don't know when King's mojo returned, but I'm inclined to say that it's definitely back in The Colorado Kid. This book may not seem like a noir, not at first, but the elements are there and it's a mystery story about storytelling and mys ...more
Aug 28, 2016 Kandice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this because I have recently started watching "Haven" on Netflix. Haven is based, not on this book, but the place and characters IN the book. I love the show. The best part is how the writers and set decorators insert small references to King's work throughout the years. Sometimes a small nugget of story from one of his novels is told, a scene plays on the screen right off his pages, Paul Sheldon and the Misery series are mentioned when a birthday gift is one of his books. The list goe ...more
Dennis D.
Jan 18, 2010 Dennis D. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
200 or so pages should have been under 50. The idea, that life doesn't have the pat answers of a story, is OK. The 3 characters are OK, but he took way too many words to say it. Typical & why I quit reading him years ago.

His repetitive, bland descriptions do not dig me deeper into the world he is painting, they just bore me to tears. I was hoping for something different, more like his old style, out of a book by this publisher. Didn't get it.

If you haven't read it, don't bother. It's a wast
Jan 11, 2011 Kit★ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keep-forever, mystery
I buzzed through this little book in one day. It was told in such a way, I felt like I was listening to an old friend tell me a campfire tale. I sped through the pages, gathering details, making my own notes and theories. I even liked the end, because it's going to keep me thinking for a good long while, wondering what happened to the guy. For being such a short book, I felt a kinship with the characters, like I was there with them. I know this story has gotten disparaging remarks, but I'm going ...more
Dec 22, 2011 Greg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, hard-case
A quick check of the personal 'most read authors' feature on goodreads tells me that this is my thirty-third Stephen King book, and it's the one that pushed King ahead of Bukowski as my most read author. There is the possibility that maybe there are a couple of duplicate ratings in there, but I'm not going to look. I'd rather have Stephen King be my most read author than Bukowski (32 Bukowski books?!? I know I really liked him for about five years, but how many times could I read the same story? ...more
Mar 06, 2012 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even average Stephen King is worth reading. I'd call The Colorado Kid, a short novel (almost a novella) a notch above average, maybe 3.5 stars.

It's not really a "hard-boiled" mystery, though, and I don't know why it's labeled as such. That sultry dame on the cover is pretty misleading; the story is actually an unsolved murder being related to a young reporter working on a small tourist island newspaper in Maine by two old-timers who've been living there and reporting for the paper since forever.
Elaine White
May 04, 2015 Elaine White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 5-crime
The Colorado Kid is the first Stephen King novel I can remember reading. I wanted to read it the minute I saw the TV show Haven, and saw that it was based on The Colorado Kid.

I hate stories without endings. At least in novels. Yet, I’ve happily read and enjoyed not only this book but also The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: A Shocking Murder and the Undoing of a Great Victorian Detective, which is also based on a true story, and which also does not give a satisfying ending. However, I love the Afterw
"Ever come across a real unexplained mystery?"

The ratings for THE COLORADO KID were all over the place...I have only started reading Stephen King again in the last few years- after a couple disappointments in the late 90s, but after taking a chance with some of his more recent offerings- and loving them...I decided to take a chance with this one too.

The Main Characters:

Dave Bowie – The 65-year-old managing editor of The Weekly Islander, the small newspaper servicing the island of Moose-Lookit.

Doreen Petersen
Jun 11, 2015 Doreen Petersen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king
Wow, just wow. Quite a change of pace for Stephen King writing a mystery and not a horror book but I loved it. Some will like it and some won't but you'll never be bored with it. I would recommend this one.
Olivier Delaye
A nice little story that’s more about the characters (and their lingo) than the mystery itself. Just don’t read it expecting a payoff or a satisfactory conclusion, because you won’t get any...
Mar 11, 2014 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Well then, I'm going to tell you a secret almost every newspaper man and woman who's been at it awhile knows: in real life, the number of actual stories - those with beginnings, middles, and ends - are slim and none. But if you can give your readers just one unknown thing (two at the very outside) and then kick in what Dave Bowie there calls a musta-been, your reader will tell himself a story.”

Stephen King, the seemingly natural born storyteller, offered this little mystery tale up via the pul
Cathy DuPont
While I love Stephen King, I can't read horror and Stephen King, as we know, writes mostly horror.

When I found this on the library shelf (an audio) and it was checked as mystery on the spine, I was elated.

I remember Stephen King forever and everything I've read about him he has been an upstanding person and writer. Never flamboyant like some very successful writers, never 'it's all about me' like some writers and best of all, he's never had anyone else (that I know of, that is) write his books.
Jun 28, 2016 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of unsolved mysteries; fans of the show Haven
Shelves: 2014, mystery
3 out of 5 stars

This is the book the Syfy show Haven is based on. While book and show share the setting, they have very little in common. I liked the book just fine, but I'm more partial to the show because of its paranormal leanings.

Review moved to
Franco  Santos
Este libro de King es uno de los más odiados y desvalorados . A la mayoría no les gustó ni un ápice; los decepcionó, para ser más exacto.

Tarde o temprano, todo lo viejo vuelve a ser nuevo.

Yo no estoy de acuerdo. A mí me parece una buena obra, interesante, diferente, pero en absoluto mala. Es una novela muy corta, para nada pesada ni densa y en ningún momento baja el nivel. Al principio sí tengo que conceder que es un poco tedioso y no sabés bien de qué va. Un poco confuso, quizás. Pero a medi
Just a few thoughts here about this book...first I listened to the audio version. It was well done and the narrator did a good job. I haven't checked how many pages the text version is, but at just over 3 1/2 hours for the audio version I consider this a short story. So I consider the Audible $21.27 "regular" price and $14.89 member price to be seriously overpriced.

The cover pic has absolutely zero to do with the story and implies (to me) a story of a certain flavor and genre which this story do
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Another great HCC from King. I enjoyed this book just as much as Joyland. Great characters. Excellent story line. :)
I'm sure it wouldn't have been quarter as boring if it were 50 pages instead of 200. And it wasn't really about the ending, it was crystal clear that it's an unsolved mystery. It's written in the description and the beginning of the book.
Edward Lorn
A lot of people hate this book for bullshit reasons. I don't usually comment on other people's opinions (I have in the past, but not often) because its their subjective feelings about the shit they read. Fine. Whatever. But to hate this book because it has a cover that only vaguely touches upon the book and/or doesn't fit the Hard Case Crime series... I don't know... I mean, the book does have a female reporter in it and it is a mystery. Yeah, like I said, those people who hate on this book beca ...more
Wayne Barrett
a Hardcase Crime novel,
The answer to the mystery is that not every mystery has an answer.
Well written with a nice flow and likable characters but there wasn't much in the way of entertainment here. I was into the suspense, looking for the resolution, even though we were warned there would be none, and when the end finally arrived...yes, I got it. Still, I could have used a little more meat and potatoes, even though it was only one mouthful that done in our victim...or was it?
Nick Iuppa
Aug 22, 2015 Nick Iuppa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a kid of about seven or eight, there was a question my sister and I started asking each other every Christmastime. It’s probably not the question you’re thinking of, but it’s a common one and the answer also happens to explain the mystery of the Colorado Kid.

The question is simply this. “What’s better Christmas or Christmas Eve?” For me the answer was always easy… Christmas Eve. My guess is that it’s Stephen King’s answer too. In his Afterward to the Hard Case Crime Novel, he almost
Eleni Ouzouni
Only 184 pages and for seven days I am trying to finish this book. So Boring!
To imagine the tv series is definitely much better...
Alvaro Vanegas
Le doy tres estrellas pero mi calificación real es de 2 y media.
Cuando leo una historia en primera persona, siempre me cuesta al principio creer que una persona pueda recordar diálogos y lugares con exactitud, como si tuvieran memoria eidética, no obstante, entiendo que es sencillamente una licencia narrativa y pasadas unas páginas me olvido del asunto y disfruto de la historia. Pero en el caso de Colorado Kid, pasa que está contada en tercera y en primera persona al mismo tiempo, en otras pala
Thomas Strömquist
Picked this one up directly following From a Buick 8 and was instantly thrown into "not a story with a start, a middle and an end" and "curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back", which kind of gave a deja vu feeling. This one is mercifully shorter, but ends on an even stranger note. King goes on to say that some readers will love and some will hate it. I did not fit into either category - I'm undecided since I assumed some pages were missing and couldn't believe the book ended ...more
Aug 01, 2016 Spirou rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ξέρω ότι δεν απαντάει στο μυστήριο, ξέρω ότι ήταν μικρό και δεν προλαβαίνεις να δεθείς με τους χαρακτήρες ή να πάρεις και πολλά πράματα από το βιβλίο, αλλά μου άρεσε όπως πάντα ο τρόπος γραφής του King. Επίσης, παραδόξως, μπορώ να πω ότι το απόλαυσα περισσότερο από το Mr. Mercedes, γιατί το τέλος του Mr. Mercedes μου φάνηκε τόσο αναμενόμενο, που το Colorado Kid μου φάνηκε μια ευχάριστη αλλαγή. Περίεργο, αλλά γούστα είναι αυτά!
Sep 09, 2016 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, detective
Para ser un libro tan corto, Colorado Kid tuvo un inicio bastante lento. Creo que los ancianos periodistas y Stephanie tuvieron demasiada historia y diálogos, más de lo que hubiese creído necesario, aún así, para el final no me parecieron tan malos e incluso creo que llegue a apegarme con ellos. Eran bonitos, los tres.

La historia de Colorado Kid, sin embargo, es realmente interesante. Un montón de misterios que se van incrementando y demás. Me gustó.

La narrativa, como es obvio, me pareció excel
Sotiris Karaiskos
Τελικά γράφει και ο King βαρετά βιβλία.
Oct 06, 2016 Johann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sooner or later, everything old is new again."

This was an unusual book, definitely not King's usual style. I did enjoy it, but ultimately was left feeling unfulfilled. And I get the point of the book and that not everything has an answer... but this just left me frustrated more than anything.

The characters were great, as were the interactions between them...and the story of the Colorado Kid itself was intriguing. So there were definitely positives to the book! I'm just a bit meh about it all...
solution to the mystery? 8 448 Sep 26, 2016 03:32AM
The Colorado Kid and Haven 5 19 Jan 03, 2016 06:08PM
Stephen King Fans: Haven 110 446 Dec 20, 2015 12:36AM
"Mystery Lights Over Hancock" article 2 10 Dec 14, 2015 02:47AM
Need - The Colorado Kid 4 22 Oct 21, 2015 06:05PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Colorado Kid By Stephen King 2 11 Mar 31, 2015 05:53AM
  • Blaze
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Say It With Bullets (Hard Case Crime #18)
  • The Alcoholics
  • Dutch Uncle (Hard Case Crime #12)
  • Night Visions 5
  • Branded Woman (Hard Case Crime #11)
  • The Murderer Vine (Hard Case Crime #43)
  • Two for the Money (Hard Case Crime #5)
  • The Last Match (Hard Case Crime #25)
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • Night Walker (Hard Case Crime #16)
  • Shooting Star/Spiderweb (Hard Case Crime #42)
  • Grave Descend
  • Blackmailer (Hard Case Crime #32)
  • The Peddler (Hard Case Crime #27)
  • Kill Now, Pay Later (Hard Case Crime #35)
More about Stephen King...

“Sooner or later, everything old is new again.” 16 likes