Start by marking “Food for Free (Collins Gem)” as Want to Read:
Food for Free (Collins Gem)

Food for Free (Collins Gem)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  253 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The ideal portable companion, the world-renowned Collins Gem series returns with a fresh new look and updated material.

This is the perfect pocket guide for aspiring foragers. Over 100 edible plants are listed, fully illustrated and described, together with recipes and other fascinating details on their use throughout the ages.

Practical advice on how to pick along with info
Published April 12th 2012 by Collins (first published October 23rd 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Food for Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food for Free

SAS Survival Guide Handbook by John  WisemanFood for Free by Richard MabeyField Guide to Wilderness Medicine by Paul S. AuerbachUS Army Survival Manual by U.S. ArmySurvival Psychology by John Leach
Best Books to Have For WTSHTF
2nd out of 50 books — 22 voters
Preserves by Pam CorbinBooze for Free by Andy  HamiltonFood for Free by Richard Mabey50 Ways to Drink Tea by Sotiris Zafeiris30 Ways to Eat a Tomato by Evelyn and Sotiris
Best Foraging Books
3rd out of 7 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Rik Barwick
It's like a little bible of free food. What's not to like!?
Glenn Campbell
I have two versions of this book, the modern one I love for it's bright, sharp, colour photographs.
The older 1976 version, that I picked up much later, from a rural book fair in the Fenlands, I love because it has old pen and ink drawings, and eight whole pages where these drawings have actually been coloured in!
More importantly I found it was packed full of words that don't seem to have made it into the 21st century version.
And also, I love it because in the front cover it says, "To Ann, with
E.J. Frost
Excellent reference with clear illustrations.
Helen
A must for any forager who wants to really learn
Lisha Sterling
This is the book that started me foraging for food. Well, actually it was this book and some friends in the UK that worked in tandem, but this book kept me going even when the friends weren't there to guide me. This is a great book to keep in the backpack you take on hikes or camping trips, and it's a great book to just paw through while you are bored in a bus station or airport, too.
Lee Broderick
About as much information as it's possible to fit into a very small book which you can carry with you when out and about. Not comprehensive, but how could it be? Instead it's a very good starting point for identification of edible plants and fungi, together with some ideas on how to prepare them.
Rachel
A great guide to foraging for food in the UK...I now have rowan jelly, rosehip syrup, crab apple jelly and several others in my store cupboard. Good pictures and not too much text.
Martinxo
Nov 30, 2008 Martinxo rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martinxo by: Bought in jumble sale £2
Not the sort of book one reads from cover to cover but useful to have around and take out when in the countryside and hungry ;)
Rory
If you looked this book up them you must own it. It's better than you think it will be. I have been most impressed.
Robbie Black
This book helped to fill my empty tummy on many a walkabout.
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Katie Androsky
Katie Androsky marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Frederick g shippee
Frederick g shippee marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
David Bridgeman
David Bridgeman marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Dolores (Lola) Cowie
Dolores (Lola) Cowie marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
David Searle
David Searle marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Damir
Damir added it
Jan 05, 2015
Caroline Liddle
Caroline Liddle marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
  • Finding Your Way Without Map or Compass
  • The River Cottage Mushroom Handbook (River Cottage Handbook, #1)
  • Bush Craft: Outdoor Skills and Wilderness Survival
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)
  • How to Store Your Garden Produce: The Key to Self-Sufficiency
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • Stalking the Wild Asparagus
  • The Outdoor Survival Handbook: A Guide To The Resources & Material Available In The Wild & How To Use Them For Food, Shelter, Warmth, & Navigation
  • Roast Chicken and Other Stories
  • Wildwood Wisdom
  • Back to Basics
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • The Moneyless Manifesto Live Well. Live Rich. Live Free.
  • The Prepper's Pocket Guide: 101 Easy Things You Can Do to Ready Your Home for a Disaster
  • Hunt, Gather, Cook: Finding the Forgotten Feast
  • Grow Your Own Drugs: Easy Recipes for Natural Remedies and Beauty Treats
  • US Army Survival Manual
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
Richard Mabey is one of England's greatest nature writers. He is author of some thirty books including Nature Cure which was shortlisted for the Whitbread, Ondaatje and Ackerley Awards.
A regular commentator on the radio and in the national press, he is also a Director of the arts and conservation charity Common Ground and Vice-President of the Open Spaces Society. He lives in Norfolk.
More about Richard Mabey...
The New Age Herbalist: How to Use Herbs for Healing, Nutrition, Body Care, and Relaxation Weeds: How Vagabond Plants Gatecrashed Civilisation and Changed the Way We Think About Nature Nature Cure Turned Out Nice Again: Living With the Weather Flora Britannica