Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)

Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes #8)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,402 ratings  ·  53 reviews
Sammy Keyes has a lot of nerve. Wearing high-tops to a fancy reception at an art gallery. Asking why a framed orange splot is worth $10,000. Eyebrows rise. Noses turn up.
But then Sammy tackles a thief who tries to break up the soiree with a stickup. Now
the patrons of the arts are glad she has a lot of nerve. Or are they? Sammy may have stopped a criminal, but the real cri...more
Published April 8th 2003 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Best Books for YA
73rd out of 166 books — 113 voters
The Westing Game by Ellen RaskinFrom the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E.L. KonigsburgThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickHarriet the Spy by Louise FitzhughEncyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective by Donald J. Sobol
Best Mysteries for Young Readers
69th out of 149 books — 221 voters

More lists with this book...

Kaion
I've been meaning to pick up one of these books forever (those be some catchy covers), but never really got to it. Sammy Keyes is a rather appealing snazzy-speaking tween protagonist: skateboarding, making box-mac-and-cheese-and-salsa, and of course, being a nosy mystery-uncover-er. It's all in the mold of some noir mystery but modern with relatable struggles for Sammy (incomprehensibleness of teachers, absentee mom, secretly living with grandma to not violate senior-living-only arrangement, fir...more
Erin H.
So far this book is OK. It is not my favorite. It's kind of hard to relate to it. But if you like art and mystery you might like it.

11/13/10

I am on page 234 of Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception and I am beginning to enjoy reading this book a lot more. The main problem in the book is that when the main character, Sammy goes to an art gallery, a mysterious man tries to steal some paintings from Diane Reijden's display. Sammy is now on a quest to find out who this man is and more importantly di...more
Nazik
Miss. Kuskowski, Sammy's art teacher, assigns an assignment for the class to research an artist and explain why or why not they like the artist's work. Sammy tells her friend Hudson about the project and Hudson decides to take Sammy and Sammy's grandmother to an art gallery to help Sammy with her assignment. At the art gallery one artist amazes Sammy with her work. After looking at the paintings, she wanted to look at them again and again. Sammy looked deep in the paintings. They just made her h...more
Sammy keys and the art of deception is about a girl named Sammy. She is 12 years old. The setting takes place usually at the mall and at Sammy's friends house. And sometimes at tge art ceremony.The problem Sammy faced was that she went to an art ceremony so she could learn more about art, for her art homework. So Sammy goes with her friend Hudson. People at the ceremony already had a bad Idea about Sammy because she was dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt. When everybody else was dressed up in dre...more
Susan
I really like the Sammy Keyes books. They are fun reading, and Sammy always is able to solve the mystery before anyone else, even though she's only 12 years old.

Sammy doesn't know who her dad is and her mom decided she wanted to be a famous actress and abandoned Sammy. Sammy lives with her grandma in a high rise, senior citizens' apartment where they don't allow children. So she has to sneak up to the apartment by the fire escape, sleep on the couch, and hide in the closet when anyone comes to t...more
Teri Gorleski
This book was really cool one mystery after another. I really cant beleive that Sammys grandma actually considers wearing blue jeans and high tops like Sammy! I thought the artist that painted the paintings that Sammy was so touched and moved by was good but too bad she wasnt. Oops! I let something very important slip. Oh my god there goes my big mouth again! So I really hope you read this book unless you already read it of course. But there was something in this book that told me that i had to...more
Katherine
Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception focuses on a mystery that involves a visit to an art show. This one contained a lot of humor and surprising events. I've read this about 3 times over the years and I haven't gotten bored with it yet. In fact, I might take it out soon.
Steve Clark
One of my favorite Sammy's yet. A lot of humor in this one; humor and tangled romance, but I don't want to give anything away. I wouldn't want to start the series here, but I'm sure glad I've read through this far!
Although these aren't "Great Literature," they sure are fun reading. Looking forward to get to the next one. You'd think that with this many books in a series, they would become hopelessly redundant and repetitive, but somehow there are enough fresh twists and turns in each one to ke...more
Hannah
Sammy's grandmother is THE BEST
Jacquie
I didn't finish the book on CD because it was due back at the library. Even after renewing three times I didn't get through it. I don't know if it was the narrator's voice that caused me to dislike the book, or if I just didn't like it. If you listen to audio books, you know sometimes the narrator can make or break it. I may read another Sammy Keyes, or finish this one on my own. I want to be able to fairly recommend, or not, this to my elementary students.
Shelley
This is my second Sammy Keyes mystery. I love them and want to read all. We only have 2 in the series as my kids never got into them (which I can't figure out), so I took out 3 from the library last night. Anyho, about this book, well done once again. I would give it a 3-1/2 stars if I could. I figured out who done it, which is always a thrill, even if it's considered a middle school age read, heehee.
Merand
A Sammy Keyes mystery is always enjoyable. Quick, intelligent, and intriguing. I am always impressed with the author's adept use of first-person narrative. Sammy's voice always rings authentic and current. An excellent mystery that isn't too full of teenage drama and holds none of the grisliness of adult mysteries, but is still fun and sophisticated.
David R.
This one is more of the light-hearted mystery I am used to with Sammy. And, again it found it very enjoyable. As I alluded to in my previous review (Sammy Keys and the Search for Snake Eyes) I read the Sammy Keyes books over and over again. This one too.
Olivia
My sister read these to me. They are fun.
Julie
Interesting subject matter. And I thought the plot was really nicely woven, as far as things in Sammy's life being able to help her solve the mystery. And it was nice to see more of Grams in this one. One of the better Sammy Keyes books, I think.
Reagan
4.7 Woah, this was great! It was a little slower than the other books, but I still loved the relationships between Sammy and Casey and Grams and Hudson. Really good ending, and I just really want to get more in the next 12 books!!!
Bailee
I really enjoyed this book because you get to see a little bit of Sammy's romantic side. This is something rare in this book series! I also really like how the author enceorporates art in the story. It makes for a great plot.
Rib
My god...I love this book! I have always wondered how Sammy would react in the world of Art...I ADORED this so much, this and the Hollywood Mummy are my absolute favorites. You want a fun read? Please pick up this book!
Kaelyn Grant
As a girl out of high school I went to school majoring in Art. I quickly realized there is not much money in that career. Grandma wants to educate and expand Samantha's views. Sammy questions, just as I did, what is art?
Hcf
I LOVE Wendelin Van Draanen. She is such a good writer for young adults/kidsm, and even though this book is below my reading level, it's a fun and easy read. Sammy is very funny and the mysteries are awesome!
Christina
One of my favorite Sammy Keyes books so far - probably because Sammy is working with Grandma on this one and doesn't have to hide things. Reading from the perspective of a parent, I like the honesty.
Sella Malin
i like these books- it's my favorite mystery series. the mysteries are really interesting, and sammy keyes is awesome. I love it when I find out who's the culprit a second before sammy does.
Brett
Sammy Keyes is badass. I get more & more interested in her family situation as more is revealed. This book provided a lot of food for thought as well on the nature of art.
Martha
I think this one is my favorite of all of them. I don't remember all the details, but it has something to do with a holdup in an art gallery. This is a really good mystery series.
Emily
This a book full of mystery! I read this book in one sitting and that was a first for me! Awesome awesome book. If you like art and mysteries this is perfect for you!
Amy
Fun mix of mystery and realistic fiction. Likeable and funny characters. Good blend of character info with action and great mixing of different parts of plot.
Vicki
The art teacher encourages her class to attend a local art show where Sammy gets caught up in a web of lies & deceit by some artists there. Good
ConwayCountyLibrary .org
(youth review) I liked this book series. This one was my favorite because she got into so much trouble. ~Michael, 3rd grade, MIS
Brooke
This one was refreshing. I think this is the book where Sammy's nerve shows up the most. Turns out her grandma has a wild side, too! LOL.
Linda
I liked this one because Sammy's Grandma and Hudson her 72 year old friend were more involved. Less Heather, her nemesis.
  • Gilda Joyce: The Dead Drop (Gilda Joyce, #4)
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secret Cellar (The Red Blazer Girls, #4)
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • Georgia's Greatness (Sisters Eight, #3)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • Into the Dark (Echo Falls, #3)
  • Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2)
  • The Ascension: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #5)
  • The Center of the Universe: Yep, That Would Be Me
  • Wilma Tenderfoot: The Case of the Frozen Hearts
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influen...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...
Flipped The Running Dream Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief Runaway Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)