Start by marking “In Love And Trouble: Stories Of Black Women” as Want to Read:
In Love And Trouble: Stories Of Black Women

In Love And Trouble: Stories Of Black Women

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  952 ratings  ·  52 reviews
This is a collection of short stories from women in the American South.
Paperback
Published September 1st 1984 by Women's Press (UK) (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about In Love And Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Love And Trouble

Lucynell
For what it's worth I think In Love and Trouble is the best thing I read so far this year. As usual, I didn't see it coming. Maybe I should - that Southern Gothic link, but I think I was distracted by all the feminism and racial talk that surrounds Alice Walker's work. Subjects that I tend to avoid unless I am absolutely sure I'm not traveling down the same old same old. If that's what interests you the most (feminism and racial politics) you'll have your fill, no worries, and probably more than ...more
Deirdre
This is a beautiful collection of short stories. "The Welcome Table," is a story I return to again and again. I have used it in my classes and find the students respond to it quite well.
J
(FROM JACKET)Readers of Alice Walker's "The Color Purple" will find in these stories further evidence of her power to depict black women-women who vary greatly in background but are bound together by their vulnerability to life: Roselily, on her wedding day, surrounded by her four children, prays that a loveless marriage will bring her respectability; a young writer, exploited by both her lover and her husband, wreaks an ironic vengeance; a jealous wife, looking for her husband's mistress, finds ...more
Faith Justice
Jun 24, 2014 Faith Justice added it
Shelves: ebook
A collection of thirteen of Walker's earliest stories (published in 1973) and shows her developing maturity and genius. Collections of short stories are always difficult for me to rate because the stories affect and engage me differently. I usually end up with a middle of the road rating, so have decided not to rate the overall book, but talk about stories that I liked. Each story is distinct. A couple felt more like character sketches that Walker would develop later in her novels. Many characte ...more
Christiane
I didn't have the time to read all the stories but this collection has one of my favorite short stories that I was able to track down again thanks to David W. "The Revenge of Hannah Kemhuff" tells the story of a woman wronged and now, near death, all she wants is revenge. It is one of those short stories where every word is perfect, and it will stay with you for a long time.
Paul
Jul 08, 2014 Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paul by: 954ced2b@opayq.com
Obviously, Alice Walker possesses writing skills that exceeds those of most human beings. This book exhibited all of those, and more. To say that I've never read a better book would be unfair, I think. However, a lot of the writing had me spellbound. Some of the stories in this book transcended my, perhaps, common appreciation of literature. Or perhaps they just weren't her best work. On the other hand, some of these stories were like magic. They transported me to another dimension. It's writing ...more
Rowena
Nice collection of short stories, some I liked more than others.
Velvetink
Jan 05, 2013 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
ebook version
Lizzie
(I read "Everyday Use," anthologized separately from this book. I'm going to mark this read for lack of having another way to add the story here.)

"Everyday Use" was interesting though not particularly moving to me. There is a lot to pull apart inside it: the limited narration of the poorly-educated and poorly-equipped mother, and the thematic contrasts between her adult daughters. The narration is good, and I liked it. The contrasts were less exciting.

Her daughter who's stayed home is sheltered
T.J. Blackburn
We were assigned “Everyday Use” to read in English class, but the URL the professor provided was broken so I went to the library and checked out this book. I enjoyed the story so much that I thought I’d give the rest of the book a try. I don’t normally read African-American and/or (what could be considered) feminist fiction, but I really liked this collection. Yes, it is about white/black relations and how women suffer, not just from the cruelty of the male sex, but from the world around them. T ...more
Ms. Bridget
Although I did love the short stories & had a few favorites among them...I am just not one who likes more than one story compiled into one book, I tend to get really bored come the Second story and beyond...No matter how good all of the stories are.

Now, if I had owned the book..I may have taken the stories a little slower, but I rented this copy from the library and wanted to finish all of the stories before I took it back because I knew I probably wouldnt have gone back to get the book.

The
Jacqueline
In Love and Trouble was a really great collection of short stories by Alice Walker. Walker does a good job expressing the struggles many Black women from the South face. She discusses issues such as gaining the respect her characters desire, fulfilling hard-to-achieve dreams, and obtaining life's necessities.

Of the thirteen stories, the one I enjoyed reading the most was "The Welcome Table", which was about an old woman who was physically thrown out of a white church by the white people who were
Katy
I rated this 3 stars as half of the book I adored and the other half seemed a bit disjointed and the plot didn't interest me. My favourites without a doubt were:

Really, Doesn't Crime Pay
Her Sweet Jerome
Everyday Use
The Welcome Table
Strong Horse Tea

Walkers writing is stunning and packs a serious punch. She describes the people in her stories with intricate precision and I look forward to reading a full novel by her soon.
Katie
Alice Walker is an amazing writer. These short stories are sometimes sweet, often sad, and always powerfully written.
Ross Esmil
i just only read one but i will keep reading excellent writer!
Matthew
I'm not always in the mood for short story collections but I decided to give this book a try when I saw a couple copies in my local thrift store. Since Walker is an established poet, I assumed her stories would be rich with character description and emotional nuance. I wasn't wrong; Walker does a great job placing the reader in the middle of each scene. Out of the 13 stories, my favorite is "Everyday Use" because it is a fascinating clash of perspectives, challenging the reader to consider the t ...more
Crystal Belle
i love alice walker so much and i was looking forward to this book of short stories. however, a lot of the stories were slow and boring. also, a lot of male-bashing. i mean i understand the idea of women being controlled by men, patriarchal societies, etc. however, there weren't any strong, good men in the entire book. one or two stories really moved me, but overall, it was just okay and nothing to brag about. i love alice walker, but not this book.
hope
I really liked a lot of these stories, though my affection wasn't consistent for the entire collection. Walker certainly has a way with describing mundane things—THAT i always enjoyed.

There were, however, two stories i loved.

"To Hell with Dying:" Absolutely beautiful love story—just not in the way we often imagine.

"The Flowers:" A very short story that takes your breath away with its poignancy (and brevity).
Kristi
I would have liked to have been able to give this book a better rating but so many of the stories just put men in a bad place and a bad state of mind. I'm not saying I prefer to read only happy short stories (one of my favorite short story writers is Flannery O'Connor), but these particular ones just did not appeal to me. There were some exceptions, such as "The Welcome Table," but most of them just made anxious.
Rhiannon Conley-Pierson
I've read "Everyday Use" over and over again in different classes and was eager to read more of Alice Walker's work. I'm so glad this slim collection came into my life. It was much darker than I expected, and some stories were even shocking and scary, but there are also moments of light and beauty. My favorite story was "Entertaining God", a story about a boy who steals a gorilla from the Bronx Zoo.
Matt
I really enjoyed this book, the first one I've read by Alice Walker. She's an excellent stylist, and the stories are quite powerful. My favorite two were "The Welcome Table" (depressing) and "To Hell with Dying" (uplifting), though every story engaged me, and it was interesting to see Walker's many perspectives on the lives of black women.
Ana Flores
I enjoyed this book, it was by the same author, (Alice Walker) of the book The Color Purple which I also read. Instead of being just one story based only on one women it is based on many different stories and its very interesting because you get different perspectives of how these women confronted their problems.
Elizabeth
My copy doesn't say anything about short stories on the front, so I didn't realize what I was getting into until "chapter 2." There were a few misses, but overall the stories were very well done. I particularly enjoyed "Really, Doesn't Crime Pay?" and Her Sweet Jerome. I was not wild about Strong Horse Tea.
Kirei
This is a book of short stories. There are really interesting ideas presented in this collection. The writing is very graceful, but I'll admit there were times when my attention wandered. But some of the stories were mesmerizing, and often the endings were unexpected.
Mary
I will keep this book on my kindle so I can reread some of these stories.
Carla B
Some of the stories were pretty good. It took me a while to get through this collection and that's not usually how I read. If I'm intrigued, I can complete a book in a couple of hours. I expected more and Im a little disappointed.
Julia Boyd
I read this book awhile ago and I must admit Alice Walker can ge a good storyteller. This is I believe her second book of short stories. I've enjoyed most of her work but I have recognize she can get preachy at times.
Mitchelle R Jansen
The welcome table, strong horse tea, to hell with dying, her sweet Jerome, these stories tear you apart. Raw emotions. Naked thoughts. You're transformed when you read these stories. They're more real than life itself.
Tawny
This book contains both disturbing and moving stories of the lives of Southern black women. Favorite line: "Jealousy is being nervous about something that has never, and probably won't ever, belong to you" (42).
  • Shifting: The Double Lives of Black Women in America
  • I Love Myself When I Am Laughing... And Then Again: A Zora Neale Hurston Reader
  • Gorilla, My Love
  • Interesting Women: Stories
  • Sassafrass, Cypress and Indigo
  • Homemade Love
  • That Takes Ovaries!  Bold Females and Their Brazen Acts
Alice Walker (b. 1944), one of the United States’ preeminent writers, is an award-winning author of novels, stories, essays, and poetry. In 1983, Walker became the first African-American woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for fiction with her novel The Color Purple, which also won the National Book Award. Her other books include The Third Life of Grange Copeland, Meridian, The Temple of My Familiar, an ...more
More about Alice Walker...
The Color Purple Possessing the Secret of Joy The Temple Of My Familiar In Search of Our Mothers' Gardens: Womanist Prose Meridian

“… People have (with the help of conventions) oriented all their solutions toward the easy and toward the easiest side of the easy; but it is clear that we must hold to what is difficult; everything in Nature grows and defends itself in its own way and is characteristically and spontaneously itself, seeks at all costs to be so and against all opposition. —Rainer Maria Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet” 0 likes