I'd Rather Be Writing

I'd Rather Be Writing

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Blending encouragement and humor with solid advice, this guide shows writers how to gain more satisfaction from the writing craft.
Published 1999 by Writer's Digest Books

Rose
I can't say I loved this book. Although it had some great tips in it and writing exercises, I could feel the author's depressive and cynical nature throughout the entire book. I found her to be very discouraging in regards to getting published. In fact, I felt a bit depressed at the end. Don't think I'll read it again other than to do some of the writing assignments.
LJ
I feel that this book delivers good, solid advice, much which applies even fifteen years after it was published. It has given me a much-needed nudge to set writing and life goals, however simple, because I struggle with many of the same challenges addressed in the book. The author came to life as a realistic and unique person, and I enjoyed her use of figurative speech to surprise the reader. But I didn't care for the, seemingly gratuitous, use of crudity in places.
Jessica
Overall, I liked the book. She has some really great exercises to try, and ways to keep yourself motivated and writing. There are certainly some invaluable tips. I did, however, find it to be very repetitive. There were times when I thought to myself, "I am fairly certain that I have read this exact paragraph before." And, while not exact, they were very similar.

It also irked me that she quoted her same four or five writer friends throughout the whole book. It was annoying to see those same nam...more
S.K. Queen"
I did appreciate this book and all it's candor. I feel the same way, "I'd rather be writing". It confirms all the ups, downs and in-betweens a writer can go through, although not all of us have the same journey. But bravo for putting it all out there, even the failures of the journey.
Sheila
I've been putting off finishing this book for months now, because I didn't want it to end--not normally a feeling I have with a nonfiction book, but this is probably the best writing book I've ever read. Tons of both practical advice and motivation/inspiration, all sorts of writing exercises and things to try, and a feeling throughout the whole thing that you're not alone in your writing angst. I am keeping this book forever and recommending it to every writer I know.
Nascha
I've been reading this book for a few months now. Excellent read. Very much an inspiration for writers and one that I will continue to refer to for years to come.
It was recommended to me years ago, when it was first released, but I put it off. I wish I hadn't put it off. I highly recommend it for all the writers out there.
Karen Douglass
I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I ignored this book far too long. The cover gave no hint of the value within, seemed light weight, too self-helpish. I was wrong. Yes, the tone is light, but my copy is now filled with asterisks and underlinings. Don't judge it by its cover.
Susan
Aug 27, 2011 Susan marked it as to-read
will get to this, returned my library copy as I found one for a dollar at a used book sale.
Zero vi Britannia
Great book for the beginning and not so beginning writer.
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Electra
Electra is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Cara Kalf
Cara Kalf marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Oliver Urban
Oliver Urban marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Divya Patwari
Divya Patwari marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
Andreananowrimo
Andreananowrimo marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2013
Tommie
Tommie marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Jennifer Kaap
Jennifer Kaap marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Don Edgar
Don Edgar marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Mariam
Mariam marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2013