Start by marking “I'd Rather Be Writing” as Want to Read:
I'd Rather Be Writing

I'd Rather Be Writing

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Blending encouragement and humor with solid advice, this guide shows writers how to gain more satisfaction from the writing craft.
Published 1999 by Writer's Digest Books

To ask other readers questions about I'd Rather Be Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'd Rather Be Writing

I can't say I loved this book. Although it had some great tips in it and writing exercises, I could feel the author's depressive and cynical nature throughout the entire book. I found her to be very discouraging in regards to getting published. In fact, I felt a bit depressed at the end. Don't think I'll read it again other than to do some of the writing assignments.
I feel that this book delivers good, solid advice, much which applies even fifteen years after it was published. It has given me a much-needed nudge to set writing and life goals, however simple, because I struggle with many of the same challenges addressed in the book. The author came to life as a realistic and unique person, and I enjoyed her use of figurative speech to surprise the reader. But I didn't care for the, seemingly gratuitous, use of crudity in places.
Overall, I liked the book. She has some really great exercises to try, and ways to keep yourself motivated and writing. There are certainly some invaluable tips. I did, however, find it to be very repetitive. There were times when I thought to myself, "I am fairly certain that I have read this exact paragraph before." And, while not exact, they were very similar.

It also irked me that she quoted her same four or five writer friends throughout the whole book. It was annoying to see those same nam
I've been putting off finishing this book for months now, because I didn't want it to end--not normally a feeling I have with a nonfiction book, but this is probably the best writing book I've ever read. Tons of both practical advice and motivation/inspiration, all sorts of writing exercises and things to try, and a feeling throughout the whole thing that you're not alone in your writing angst. I am keeping this book forever and recommending it to every writer I know.
I've been reading this book for a few months now. Excellent read. Very much an inspiration for writers and one that I will continue to refer to for years to come.
It was recommended to me years ago, when it was first released, but I put it off. I wish I hadn't put it off. I highly recommend it for all the writers out there.
S.K. Thomas
I did appreciate this book and all its' candor. I feel the same way, "I'd rather be writing". It confirms all the ups, downs and in-betweens a writer can go through, although not all of us have the same journey. But bravo for putting it all out there, even the failures of the journey.
Karen Douglass
I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I ignored this book far too long. The cover gave no hint of the value within, seemed light weight, too self-helpish. I was wrong. Yes, the tone is light, but my copy is now filled with asterisks and underlinings. Don't judge it by its cover.
Aug 27, 2011 Susan marked it as to-read
will get to this, returned my library copy as I found one for a dollar at a used book sale.
Zero vi Britannia
Great book for the beginning and not so beginning writer.
Nyla added it
Nov 15, 2015
Sivaquoi Laughlin
Sivaquoi Laughlin marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Leanne Marie
Leanne Marie marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Ereney added it
Dec 31, 2014
Nicole Schumacher
Nicole Schumacher marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Matt Stewart
Matt Stewart is currently reading it
Dec 08, 2014
Katherine marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014