Start by marking “The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 3: 1921-1929” as Want to Read:
The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 3: 1921-1929

The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 3: 1921-1929

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Best-known as the author of the children's classic Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery's professional and private lives became increasingly complex during the 1920s. In this third selection from her journals, she describes how she managed to juggle the demands of motherhood and her husband's parish, numerous personal crises and a bitter lawsuit with her unscrupulous ...more
Published April 15th 1993 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Selected Journals Of L.M. Montgomery, Vol. 3

Katri
I found it harder to get through this one than the previous volumes, mainly because at some points her life is dragged down by such petty, trivial affairs taking up all her energy which are not that interesting to read about. It's not her fault, but it makes for hard reading - it's not the sort of deep or glorious misery that can be gripping to read, but just annoying and dull. I'd say this especially affects the second quarter of the book, and when you get past that it gets interesting again. I ...more
Kim
In this volume of Montgomery's journals, there are harbingers of much change will no doubt be discussed in the last two volumes. Her boys are becoming teenagers, and while there is little detail, there are hints of trouble, especially with Chester, the older boy. There are hints at the reality of changes in Canada's literary landscape. She records reading Morley Callaghan, and finding him dull, expecting him not to amount to much. She is definitely on the edge of the old and new. She mourns the ...more
Marissa Burt
I love all things LMM and have now read through her journals twice. They give a remarkable look at daily life in her time and reveal the thoughtful tormented creative author behind the childhood classics she wrote. Definitely well worth the read, though it can be dense going, so I recommend reading a little at a time.
Chelsea
By reading L.M. Montgomery's journals, I feel as if I know her personally. I am fascinated by her depth of emotion, especially with regard to beauty in nature. She has a wry sense of humor, and I love how candid she was about neighbors and acquaintances. I think I liked volume 2 better, maybe because she experiences more life-changing events, and there aren't as many legal issues discussed at length. But this volume was still extremely interesting.
Mitzi
Re-read Oct. 2014 - Just as fascinating to read the 2nd time through.

Original review - July 2010: Hard to read at times but riveting nonetheless - I feel so sad for LMM and all that she went through, but it is very inspiring that even with so much struggle she was a success...
Alison
Not quite as interesting as the first two volumes since most of it deals with the lawsuits LMM and her husband had to fight during these years. Of course I can't blame LMM for the events of her life! It amazes me that she wrote so many books along with all her other responsibilities.
Amy
Still a gripping read. There's a sense of her becoming a bit mired in self-martyrdom, but that doesn't detract from the fascinating historical and psychological document this series of journals continues to represent.
Mireille

More tedious than the others - Pickering and church squabbles are not much compared to WWI or LMM's wedding. Still looking forward to the next one.
Dec 12, 2013 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: laura
I'm not sure that "liked it" is the right phrase. Truly a hard life led by a woman cursed by her own decisions, ideals and nature.
Kathee Garland
Another fasinating volumes of her journals, I can't wait to read the next!
Jb
Jb marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Kaley
Kaley marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Abbe
Abbe marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Guen
Guen marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Brianne White
Brianne White marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Kylie Cantwell
Kylie Cantwell marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Brigid
Brigid marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Coldestwinter
Coldestwinter marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Marcy
Marcy added it
Dec 07, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Lucy Maud Montgomery: The Gift of Wings
  • Looking for Anne of Green Gables: The Story of L. M. Montgomery and Her Literary Classic
  • Reading Chekhov: A Critical Journey
  • Maud: The Life of L.M. Montgomery
  • Kindred Spirit: A Biography of L. M. Montgomery, Creator of Anne of Green Gables
  • Sisters in the Wilderness
  • What We Knew: Terror, Mass Murder, and Everyday Life in Nazi Germany
  • Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present
  • Eden's Outcasts: The Story of Louisa May Alcott and Her Father
  • Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...
Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8) Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)

“I doubt if I shall ever have time to read the book again -- there are too many new ones coming out all the time which I want to read. Yet an old book has something for me which no new book can ever have -- for at every reading the memories and atmosphere of other readings come back and I am reading old years as well as an old book.” 191 likes
“Truth exists, only lies have to be invented.” 95 likes