Start by marking “Sue Barton, Senior Nurse (Sue Barton, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sue Barton, Senior Nurse (Sue Barton, #2)

Sue Barton, Senior Nurse (Sue Barton #2)

Sue Barton has been at the hospital for two years and was now a Senior Nurse. Sue knew it was the most important period of her career so far, but she soon found she had to cope with a personal conflict. On one hand there was her involvement with her work, and on the other - her feelings for the young doctor, Bill Barry. Working with him so closely in the operating theatre, ...more
Published 1984 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Sue Barton, Senior Nurse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sue Barton, Senior Nurse

Beth
Jan 02, 2016 Beth rated it really liked it
This book hammers home just how young Sue is. I love her experiences in the operating room - that she isn't as good as she expects to be, until she comes across a person she can help - and her relationship skills are terrible, but relatable nonetheless.

It's the asides that make this book, though: the parents who don't want their child - Connie going for anesthetics but giving everything up as a given when she gets married, frustrating Sue - Sue wanting a career before she gets married - Miss Ca
Emily
On rereading the second Sue Barton book, in which Sue completes her nursing training, for the first time as an adult my main reaction was simply that this book is a really enjoyable read. It has the "school" flavor that I enjoyed in the first book, but now Sue and her friends are not wide-eyed impressionable newcomers, but more active players in the world of the hospital. It was still very familiar to me, despite my having let it lie fallow for decades, but not to the extent that the first book ...more
Shelley
Apr 15, 2012 Shelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, historical, vintage
I love these characters so much. I loved the nursing experiences in the different wards, too, and seeing how Sue and co grew from their first year. It made me sad that Sue was so frustrated that the training was wasted on Connie, and that, really, it was. Relatedly, ugh, Bill. Boring. I think Visiting Nurse remains my favorite of the series.
Virginia Messina
Mar 06, 2008 Virginia Messina rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Not as good as "Student Nurse," but still an enjoyable read with more fun information on nursing in the 1930s. I loved reading about those truckloads of babies being carted around the hospital! I can't wait to read about Sue's experience with the Henry Street Settlement, but until I can find that book, I'm off to see how Cherry Ames has held up after all these years.
Camilla
Jan 02, 2010 Camilla rated it liked it
Sue Barton was fictional. I admired Clara Barton and Florence Nigtengale, but Sue was a [in the 60's:] a modern day nurse.
Audrey
chucklesthescot
Jan 09, 2014 chucklesthescot rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, medical
Book Two sees Sue, Kit, Connie and the gang back on the wards. Connie is scared of her turn as an operating nurse and only the intervention of Bill stops her fainting during her first operation. Sue struggles to keep her mind on her job, finding it boring to be away from the patients. George seems to drive a wedge between Bill and Sue, and the nurses start to think about the next stage of their career as graduation approaches.

There was a lot of humour in this book. Having mad Tony causing troubl
Maria Elmvang
A short enough book to usually read in one sitting. It's not as good as the first one, as there are fewer hospital anecdotes in this one, and some of the anecdotes are somewhat exaggerated - Sue is an angel, Sue saves the day, Sue never does anything wrong ... in short, Sue is a Mary-Sue! ;)

I still like it in spite of its flaws though :)
Rebecca
Feb 09, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Not my favorite of the books, although more because there are certain elements of the plot line that annoy me, although they accurately reflect theories at the time. The action starts to pick up with the next book; this volume has always felt like a place holder to me, one that that was necessary to cover future plot points, but not there for much more than setting up the next books.
Trine
Aug 16, 2010 Trine rated it really liked it
For some reason this book isn't quite up to the standards of nr. 1. Perhaps it is because the love stories takes up some space, but also the actual nursing descriptions seem more superficial. But don't misunderstand me, it is still a great book.
Anne Federwisch
This book was published in 1937 originally, so it was already old when I read the series the first time. Though I don't remember specifics, I do remember liking the series and wanting to become a nurse at the time. After having re-read the first in the series, I'm wondering what exactly appealed to me about the profession. lol. Nurses in 1937 were not the independent, critical-thinking, medical professionals of today. The book should be a good trip back in time as Shelly embarks on the future of ...more
Susann
Jul 06, 2014 Susann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Romance, schmomance. That part did little for me, but watching Sue progress through school was fantastic. Loved reading about the maternity hospital and was gleeful during the Miss Taffereau section.
Astrid Johanne
Piger i hvidt er en skøn forsættelse af Piger i Blåt. Jeg har læst den et utal af gange, ligesom min mor har, mit eksemplar er ved at falde fra hinanden, men alligevel kan jeg ikke ligge bogen fra mig. Jeg læste den i et køre, og får et smil på læben.
Deborah
Nov 18, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing
Another entertaining tale of hospital life, with the lightest of romances and plenty of human interest. I particularly enjoy Sue finding out that the operating theatre isn't for her, and Sue learning how to manage a ward.
Carole
Sep 01, 2013 Carole rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-books-read
This is part of a series of books about Sue Barton, from nursing school to various jobs she gets after school. When I was in junior high, I read many books in the series. This series was written in the '30's so it is pretty dated, but when I read them originally I loved them.
Cera
Dec 26, 2011 Cera rated it liked it
Too much farce for me to really want to keep reading the series, but I still like the nursing parts.
maddykorneychuk
Aug 30, 2009 maddykorneychuk marked it as to-read
I'm hoping it is a good book. Cross your fingers.
Mecque
Jan 19, 2011 Mecque rated it really liked it
This was so nice and refreshing to read.
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2010
hhertzof
hhertzof rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2015
Kerri
Kerri rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Cyd
Cyd rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2015
William Land
William Land rated it really liked it
May 22, 2017
Colleen Blanchard
Colleen Blanchard rated it liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Amerdale
Amerdale rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Aiko
Aiko rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
May 24, 2013
Shaks
Shaks rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Siân
Siân rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2011
Elizabeth Hunter
Elizabeth Hunter rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
  • Cherry Ames, Army Nurse (Cherry Ames, #3)
  • Beany Malone
  • Ever After (Williamsburg, #3)
  • End of Term (The Marlows, #4)
  • Emily of Deep Valley (Deep Valley, #2)
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • Min ven Thomas
  • The Rosary
  • Papa's Wife (The Franzons, #1)
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Two Are Better Than One
  • Sister of the Bride (First Love, #4)
An only child, Helen Dore Boylston attended Portsmouth public schools and trained as a nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital. Two days after graduating, she joined the Harvard medical unit that had been formed to serve with the British Army. After the war, she missed the comradeship, intense effort, and mutual dependence of people upon one another when under pressure, and joined the Red Cross to ...more
More about Helen Dore Boylston...

Sue Barton (7 books)
  • Sue Barton, Student Nurse (Sue Barton, #1)
  • Sue Barton, Visiting Nurse (Sue Barton, #3)
  • Sue Barton, Rural Nurse (Sue Barton, #4)
  • Sue Barton, Superintendent of Nurses (Sue Barton, #5)
  • Sue Barton, Neighborhood Nurse (Sue Barton, #6)
  • Sue Barton, Staff Nurse (Sue Barton #7)