The Banquet Bug: A Novel

The Banquet Bug: A Novel

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  33 reviews
From the acclaimed author of The Lost Daughter of Happiness comes a groundbreaking novel that will introduce readers to the little-known underworlds of contemporary China Geling Yan captivates readers once more in her breakthrough novel. This is the fantastical tale of Dan Dong, an unemployed factory worker whose life takes a series of unexpected twists after he discovers...more
Published July 11th 2006 by Hyperion (first published 2006)

Jeane
Difference of cultures can be felt very well in this book. In what is described and the style of writing.
Dan is unemployed like many other factory workers. He has a normal, not complex life and lives with his wife above the factory where he used to work. When he finds out that by pretending to be a journalist he can get free food and get paid, he starts to go to fancy, sponsored banquets. From then on his simple life changes.

It is a nice story, well written but different. The end dissapoints a...more
Owen
I read this a couple summers ago. It was the worst piece of shit I have ever read. DO NOT READ IT. The ending was horrible.
Graham Crawford
This book is a knockout! The plot is almost surreal - it reminded me a little of Camus or Beckett. We are never quite sure if something is not real, or simply absurd. Underpinning this is a deeply political and compassionate voice that documents the hard lives of the "country bumpkins" in Beijing the excesses of the new hyper rich, and the endemic corruption at the heart of modern China. This would make a fantastic indie movie - but I doubt the Chinese government would let ever let this story be...more
Larry
The back cover blurb of this book (also published as The Banquet Bug gives the impression that this is a quirky nailbiter of a thriller, which it definitely is not. Quirky, yes. A great concept: a poor, unemployed worker accidentally discovers that by posing as a journalist he can eat free at lavish banquets several days a week. Though trying to keep his head down, he gradually becomes entangled with ruthlessly ambitious real journalists, prominent artists, property tycoons and relatives of high...more
Gerund
The cover of Geling Yan's latest novel, The Uninvited, shows the top half of a naked woman lying with her back to us, on which are laid two prawns and a pair of chopsticks. Even more provocative is a Hyperion East edition being distributed in the United States under the title The Banquet Bug, which has the prawns snuggling on a woman's belly, the bottoms of her breasts framing the top edge of the cover.

With the Western success of such sexually-adventurous Chinese novels like Wei Hui's Shanghai B...more
"The Banquet Bug" is an entertaining read about a Chinese peasant who has become and out of work factory worker in Beijing. He discovers the world of being a banquet bug- posing as a journalist to attend the city's many fancy banquets for free, and receive "something for his troubles" also known as money. Apparently this is really a regular practice in China, that journalists are invited to banquets, fed and paid to keep the well oiled machinery of corrupt Beijing running smoothly.
Dan Dong and...more
Virginprune
It's not a masterpiece but it has its understated, Chinese rhythm to it, which takes you through a journey of cameo Beijing scenes. Like, say, Dostoyevsky, you might feel frustrated with the protagonist, you might wonder why he did a certain action (or failed to act at a certain point) but that makes it all the truer, and although the book certainly is structured, it feels a lot more like a real story than many more cliched tales.
It's a tale of the Chinese underclass, of the generation that uppe...more
Emily
An intriguing window into contemporary Chinese culture. I think the narrative was limited at least somewhat by the translation, because some of the dialogue and descriptions were a bit clumsy and stilted.

Still, the story sheds light on what it is like to try to make it in modern-day China. And, by "make it," I mean have food to eat and (not much more than) a roof over your head.

I particularly liked learning about the media machinations and the cultural contrasts between rural and urban China -...more
Marija S.

The book would have earned 4 stars had I based my grading solely on political message and on successful outlining of contemporary urban China and its flaws, but the flimsy dialogs, abundance of completely redundant paragraphs, the irritating main character, pointlessness of some plot lines just don’t do it for me. The cardboard protagonists all appear to be either selfish or spaced-out, or both, and have failed to evoke even a trace of sympathy in me, regardless of their destinies.

Even though i...more
Emma
Set in modern China Yan shows the darker side of this country famous for it's communist history. Dan Dong and his wife Little Plum are living in a slum community on a rooftop of the old factory where Dan used to work. When Dan is mistaken for a journalist at a media banquet and realises that he can not only eat gourmet meals for free, but also get paid for it, he becomes a 'Banquet Bug'. Unfortunately for Dan his disguise is too believable and he is soon writing articles for real telling the sto...more
Hock Tjoa
Written by a Chinese journalist who left after the Tiananmen protest and crackdown, this is a fantastical novel, magical realism without the magic, highly imaginative. To say that it describes corruption and exploitation is like saying Moby Dick is about whaling. A good looking temporary (reserve) laborer finds a boondoggle attending banquets pretending to be a journalist. (This book is also published with the title "The Banquet Bug.") He is married to the most worthy of women but finds sex and...more
Huy
Câu chuyện về mặt trái của truyền thông và mặt trái của xã hội, cũng không khác Việt Nam là mấy.
Baljit
A catchy start but quickly digresses....
An interest read in the midst of traveling to Beijing. The book gives a good sense of the new China, a functional but stubbornly corrupt modernity. And couched in a story a man trying to profit from a bit of his own dishonesty. In a way it is hard to blame anyone when everyone is desperate to make it and all do what they can under an oppressive regime. But people do such cruel things to each other under those kinds of circumstances. This is China. Good book though, by the way.
Siria
The Uninvited is a satirical look at the contradictions in modern China, where an economic boom has created an immensely privileged upper class, though hundreds of millions of people still live in poverty. It's a light novel, with shaky characterisation and a limp ending, but Yan's observation of the hypocrisies and absurdities of contemporary Beijing make for an entertaining read—there's just enough darkness there to leaven the farce.
marissa
This book was almost bewildering in its furtive lavishness; the sense of intrigue and dread underlying the vast and overwhelming banquets makes the reader feel like she's cramming her mouth as fast as she can. Yan creates this pace effortlessly and the rich, strange foods she details with fine-tipped brush linger on the palate the same way this book does -- phantom, evocative, vaguely unsettling and enough to make you crave more.
Rougecygne
A fasinating look at life in China as lived by a young couple struggling to survive. The main character stumbles onto the fact that press can attend promotional baquets and be paid to eat and listen. He forms a life eating good food under false pretenses and supporting his wife with "money for your troubles". Life takes a turn when he starts to actually write....
Great food discriptions as well as story line.
Choopie
(Spoiler Alert!)
I find it incredulous that the protagonist could be jailed for 7 years for being a freeloader or that any govt would waste so much police resources on something as petty as that! The plot line re banquet bug dining in itself is pretty silly. Surely a more believable plot could have been employed to highlight whatever political / economic situation the writer wanted to satirized.
Mary
I loved this book. Dan Dong is a young man who leaves a small village to live and work in Beijing with his wife.Dan accidentally finds he can make money being a "banquet bug", posing as a journalist to get fabulous free gourmet food and and envelope with "money for your troubles",meant to buy a favorable article. His adventures are hilarious.
Kelly Allen
Before I read the book, I thought it would be funny. The idea is some guy will disguise as food critics and go to the banquet for free food is pretty amusing to me. But it turn out the be quite gloomy, not in a bad way, just totally not what I expected. I might give it a five stars if the ending is not like what is in the book.
Hafiz
Very likable hero..
Like the unique story, about the power of media and journalism, in both the support and prevention of corruption.
I liked the descriptions of exotic foods and of beijing and its people. To see it from street level through the eyes of the struggling.
Naomi
If you are curious about what life in China is really like, this novel may give you a clue. I enjoyed the style of writing, though not all of the content. Still, the story kept me going. Worth reading if you have any interest in China.
Emma Harrison
It got off to a good start and certainly had me hooked. However, I did get rather frustrated with it towards the end. Apologies with the short review - that's the trouble with not reviewing straight after finishing the book!
Ryan
a fun read that carries you all the way to the end. though a little unbelievable at times. a great job of capturing some of the paradoxes of modern china
Anne
Interesting story about life and survival in modern Beijing. Surrealism, fakes, corruption and striving to get ahead. Nothing is as it seems.
Mare
I can't begin describing Yan's brilliance. I wish wish wish she either wrote more in English, or more of her novels got translated.
Rj
Jun 25, 2008 Rj rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: asian
A very interesting and non-political look into Chinese culture and cuisine. It is a bit slow moving at times.
Zane
A funny read, very China-like, described in a way only a talented Chinese author could do so.
Mel
a good and funny account of the corruption in modern China-a total focus on food
Bernard Lim
Loosely structured, mildly interesting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
81969
Geling Yan was born in Shanghai, People's Republic of China. She performed as a dancer at age 12. She served in the People's Liberation Army during the Cultural Revolution, in Tibet and later as a journalist in the Sino-Vietnamese War, achieving a rank equivalent to Lieutenant Colonel. Her first novel was published in 1985. She is the author of such novels as The Banquet Bug (published as The Unin...more
More about Geling Yan...
The Flowers of War The Lost Daughter of Happiness: A Novel White Snake and Other Stories 第九个寡妇 La novena viuda