Start by marking “Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)” as Want to Read:
Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)

Commotion in the Ocean (Picture Books)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  81 reviews
For use in schools and libraries only. Collects poems describing the many creatures living beneath the sea, including the crab, dolphin, and angel fish.
Published April 16th 1998 by Orchard Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Commotion in the Ocean, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Commotion in the Ocean

Oliver Radtke
I finished reading “Commotion in the Ocean” by Giles Andreae. This book is about many of the animals that live in the ocean, and that live around the ocean. It talks about all of the fish, the ones that live in shallow waters, all the way to the ones that live in deep sea at the bottom of the ocean. This book also shows animals that live out of the water as well. Like the sea turtle, crabs, polar bears, and walruses.

The characters in the book are all of the animals that live in the ocean that ar
Miranda Potratz
I really enjoyed reading the book "Commotion in the Ocean". It was a fun read as I got to read it to my younger cousin Elizabeth. It was interesting to see the difference in reaction throughout the book. She asked a lot of questions seeming very interested in learning about the different creatures. She said when she grows up she wants to live in the ocean. To her disappointment I had to tell her that was not possible. Other than that, she said she liked the book because of all the pictures, colo ...more
Brady Bonnell
I liked the book Commotion in the Ocean because it teaches young kids about the different types of animals in the sea and how they interact with each other. It used colorful pictures to tell about the different animals that live in the sea. I also enjoyed how the story got my sisters interested in it and learned off of it to.

The characters in this book are all different kinds of creatures that live in the ocean or next to it. It tells how they live and what they eat to survive. It also tells abo
Hailee Gorges
"Commotion in the Ocean" is such a cute book. I really enjoyed it. This book is perfect for children learning to read. It has great illustrations and it's really easy to read. This book shows children what all goes on in the ocean. I recommend this book to children first learning to read because it's simple and teaches children about animals in the ocean.
Brandon Loehrke
I really enjoyed this childrens book. This book is full of good illustrations and tons of ocean animals. This book is about all of the creatures in the ocean. The book tells about what they eat, where they live and why they live there.

There are no main characters in this book. The book just consists of animals in the ocean, such as sharks, whales, and an octopus. The book then goes into details about the animals.

The setting of “Commotion in the Ocean” takes place in the big, open ocean. The time
Ryan Pomerenke
“Commotion in the Ocean” is a book for children that incorporates the use of both poetry and rhymes to describe an array of sea creatures. There are also colorful illustrations that accompany each description.

The author, Giles Andreae, is the narrator. He uses both direct and indirect characterization in the form of short, rhyming stanzas to chronicle the characters. The sea creatures in the book range from a tiny barnacle to a massive blue whale.

“Commotion in the Ocean” is set in all of the s
Chloe Dehler
I decided to read the book “Commotion in the Ocean” because the illustrations on the front cover caught my attention. “Commotion in the Ocean” is a children’s picture book. The book was very well illustrated and written. The book is written and illustrated by Giles Andreae and David Wojtowycz. The book shows many different sea animals from crab to sharks and many more.

The book takes place in the Ocean. The book is written in tiny poems. For each animal there are four to five line poems about ea
Jordan
In “Commotion in the Ocean” it shows most of the animals that are in the ocean and some on land. Each animal in this story has its own place to live and why it lives there. Some of the animals live both in the sea and on land.

It is about all the different animals in the sea. The main plot is a little confusing, because it just shows you what all the sea creatures do and it doesn't have a real story behind it.

The characters in this book are all sea creatures/ animals. One of the animals is a sea
Clementine Lagarde
Commotion in the Ocean is a wonderful book to use when doing the topic of under the sea. It has beautiful illustrations and wonderful rhyming poems.

Each page in the book depicts the animal in the picture through a rhyming poem. It starts with the walking sideways crab, the turtle babies hatching and the squeaking dolphins. Followed by a beautiful angle fish, a jiggly jellyfish, a grinning shark, a hungry swordfish, a motherly octopus, a stinging stingray and a snippety lobster. The book then le
Marmee Zen
The age 2.5 child was so busy asking, "What's that?" and pointing at every colorful picture in the book it took us a few days to actually get around to the story. The beginning and end of the story have several stanzas with one picture page so I was skeptical about how those pages would hold my child's attention span but found he was willing to hear it all most times as long as I spent sufficient time answering all of his questions about the picture details. The inner pages are poetic in their d ...more
Jen Borlick
Speaking as a former animal educator, this book made me angry. My opinion is that if you are going to write about animals and describe them and their habitats you should have basic knowledge of them. I'll give artistic license to some of it. The things that I had to (and have to now with my own children) unteach children are: sharks aren't mean, swordfish don't skewer their food, stingrays don't electrocute prey, and penguins and polar bears don't live on the same hemispheres. Also, when we got ...more
Mariah Hansen
"Commotion in the Ocean" takes kids through a journey in the ocean. I would definitely get this book for kids ages three to five. It informs children about life under the sea such as: stingrays’ tails are dangerous, so don't go near them. The illustrations are very cute and lifelike. My little cousin enjoyed it very much. I would rate this book a five for children’s books because it's cute.
Kori Looker
This book is just fantastic! I loved this book! I suggest this book to be read to toddlers. The pictures and wording is great for learning at a young age. There is rhyming, fun pictures of sea creatures, and big letters in this book. Any parents out there who want a book that will have a positive learning effect on their children, this is the book! Check it out.
Vibiana Cruz
This book was kind of funny but educational at the same time. It talks about the types of creatures that live in the ocean. It teaches kids and older people in a fun way the things you can find under the ocean. I recommend this book to mostly younger kids but also could work for older people because everyone can enjoy and learn from this book.
Petra X
This is a truly superlative pop-up picture book of life at the bottom of the ocean. Its full of hilarious little details like a pull tab to move two frightened little starfish behind some coral and out of the way of the great big shark whose jaws snap open and shut as you open/close the book.

Wonderful.
Anthony
I really enjoyed this book, even if it is not in my age group. “Commotion in the Ocean” is a fun book to just look at because the pictures in it are silly.

The main idea (plot) is to teach the reader where all of these animals live and what their habitats are. The book describes to the reader what the animal looks like if they look happy or sad in the pictures given and what they do all day.

The main (characterization) of the story is about all of the animals in the book and the author gives th
Terry
Age of Child: Read with a 2-year-old boy.

Little Kid Reaction: We read this one multiple times. My son liked the colors in this book. He related the animals to his life - the sharks on his pajamas, his brother's stuff penguin, etc.

Big Kid Reaction: This book is entertaining but misleading from a biological standpoint. I didn't like it. Some of the information is educational: the turtles are crawling on the sand, the crabs walk sideways, etc. Some is misleading: the reasons why they do these thing
Mccalla
I read the book “Commotion in the Ocean” by David Wojtowycz. It was a cute little picture book about sea creatures. The pages were full of color and excitement talking about all the sea creatures. Describing each sea creature in fun and exciting ways that make it interesting for the readers.

There were many different characters in this book. For instance the crab walking sideways to make himself look sneaky and pretended he was a spy to the angle fish, the pretties fish of the sea. There is rea
Krystal
Author: Giles Andreae

Illustrator: David Wojtowycz

Genre: First person perspective novel

Publication Info: Scholastic (1998)

Reading Level: Fluent

Topic/Theme: Sea life/ Poetic Rhyme

Issues Addressed: The different types of sea creatures under the sea.

Classroom Uses: Read Aloud, Individual Reading.

Summary: Andreae walks his readers through an underwater adventure. Readers are able to meet dolphins, swordfish, jellyfish, angelfish, sharks, walruses, and many more. He talks about the differences betwee
Sara
This entertaining poetry book is one of the best poetry books written for children. The way the author is able to incorporate facts about each of the sea creatures into the poems while still making each poem rhyme is done flawlessly. Each short poem presents a new sea animal or fish; then, the author gives one fact about each of the animals and other information that children may not already know. If used with students, teachers can teach their students what rhyming looks like and they can also ...more
Courtney
A book with lots of sea creatures in it, even some of the more obscure creatures that don't normally get featured in a children's book. Turtle, crab, lobster, angel fish, dolphin, shark, swordfish, octopus, stingray, deep sea creatures, blue whales, walruses, penguins, and polar bears. Great resource!
Sharn Samra
Every page of the book ‘Commotion in the Ocean’ starts with a humorous rhyme that describes the personalities and traits of the different sea creatures in the Ocean, from the squeaky dolphins, jiggling jellyfish to the lobsters that never shake hands with anybody. This book is upbeat and includes colourful illustrations that explore the environment that the sea creatures live in.

The short poems keep the reader engaged by using rich vocabulary. ‘Commotion in the Ocean’ is a great way to introduc
Gabrielle
I picked this book up, because I saw two little boys reading it and laughing and flipping through the pages with such excitement to find out what was going to happen next. I opened it and understood why children of a young age would fall in love with it. The pictures are so animated and fun, they add so much character to the book. It's a fantastic book that lets kids run wild with their imaginations and it teaches them all different things. It has a great collection of rhymes, so it's a fun stor ...more
Kelsey Vayens
This is book is such a fun book, and it can be used in various age levels. This book is a poetry book that uses the topic of sea creatures to teach about rhyme, poetry, and even science. For those that are younger students, this can be taught to teach about rhyming words. The teacher can introduce rhyming words and ask the children to go on a rhyming scavenger hunt within the book. For slightly older students, this can teach about poetry. After reading this, it can inspire the class to make thei ...more
Angie
Read this one again this week in conjunction with parts of The Ocean Alphabet Book. Jerry Pallotta visited our campus last week so that was sort of a closure to our study of all of his books.

Anyway, I digress. I like all of Giles Andreae's books. They have fun illustrations and catchy little rhymes. Shakespeare, it's not, but it doesn't have to be! The kids love the pictures of the shark and the swordfish and the octopus and the blue whale. They laugh when I read the angelfish stanza in my appro
Lisa Walshe
I have just finished reading this book with my Year 1 children and they loved it! The book offers a selection of short, snappy and funny poems about all the different creatures you might find beneath the sea.

Year 1 have just been learning about features of poetry such as rhyming words, repeated text, amazing adjectives and alliteration so the book was a perfect choice for story time. The children were able to easily pick out rhyming words, adjectives and alliteration and were excited by the brig
Alexis Kloehn
“Commotion in the Ocean” is a very nice picture book. This is the first picture book I have read in a long time. This book was very well written and perfect for smaller children to read and it teaches a lot. It basically goes and names off a bunch of animals that are in and around the ocean and a few brief descriptions of them. One kind of down side to this book is that it's just a little too brutally honest for very small children, like when they talk about other animals eating the smaller ones ...more
Davonni
Love this poetry book! This book uses the topic of sea creatures to teach students about different sea animals. The book has cute rhymes throughout it and the pictures are very bright and colorful. This book can be used in many different grades. I think this book would be great for early age students when it comes to students being introduced to new sea animals; also the rhyming in book is a great way to show students examples of rhymes. I would use this book with older students to have them cre ...more
Nichole
Jan 06, 2012 Nichole rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children ages 2-5
My Mother sent this book to us to since we were going to Seaworld for a family vacation to introduce the ocean to my 2 year old son. I thought it was very cute and well done, he especially loves searching for the starfish hiding out on each page. I was a little taken aback by some of the wording, most particularly the swordfish skewering the other fish on his sword.
We love the large pages and wonderful illustrations. I like that each page is it's own separate poem with the creatures name displa
Samantha
I loved this book! A book full of facts about common ocean animals. Great colors and pictures!
  • Dinosaurumpus
  • Hooray For Fish!
  • Too Loud Lily
  • Over in the Ocean: In a Coral Reef
  • A Silly Snowy Day
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse!
  • Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems
  • Yawn
  • Tumble Bumble
  • Come On, Rain!
Giles Andreae is the author of several children's books, including the best-selling Giraffes Can't Dance, illustrated by Guy Parker-Rees. He is the creator of Purple Ronnie, one of the most successfully licensed cartoon characters in his native England.

Giles lives with his wife and three children in Notting Hill, England.
More about Giles Andreae...
Giraffes Can't Dance Rumble in the Jungle Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs Pants I Love My Mommy