Start by marking “Hamlet” as Want to Read:
Hamlet
Read Book* *Different edition

Hamlet

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  442,003 ratings  ·  6,111 reviews
Visually engages readers by placing the original dialogue on the left-hand side of the page, and a modern prose interpretations on the right. As a result, it is easy for readers to cross reference as they move through the play and finally "get" Shakespeare.
Published August 1st 2005 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1602)

To ask other readers questions about Hamlet, please sign up.

Huda Aweys Hamlet, Prince of Denmark, who shows him the ghost of his father, King (named Hamlet also) on the night and ask him to take revenge for his death, and…moreHamlet, Prince of Denmark, who shows him the ghost of his father, King (named Hamlet also) on the night and ask him to take revenge for his death, and succeed Hamlet at the end of it after the liquidation of the family in a series of tragic events, and injured himself fatally wounded from the sword is poisoned too.
Lies his problem in making sure of the fact that the ghost, was father of asked him already retaliation or demon Sly Thaolh in the image of his father, and the fact that the death of his father at the hands of his uncle Claudius, the current king of the country of Denmark, who married his mother (Gertrude), a wife who was considered sinful and illegitimate in Shakespeare's time and die Ophelia sad Mlcolmh after that infects the madness that flooded itself after the death of her father at the hands of Hamlet by mistake after it was eavesdropping hiding behind the cover of the dialogue between Hamlet and his mother about his father's death and her marriage to the sinner from his uncle, the current king, then he wants the brother of Ophelia fight Hamlet to avenge him for his sister and his father in front of Vtqatla Kolodius and uncle stood up in front of everyone to give Cass a delicious drink for the winner and put the poison because he knows that Hamlet will win.
Gertrude die (penalty on the relationship sinful) after that I drank accidentally poisoned wine to drink basically put Hamlet Hamlet arose after winning the killing of his uncle, and cut off his arms and put poison into the mouth of his uncle.
Hamlet Egerha Laertes duel between them during the break insidious, knowing in advance that the agreement according to the sword poisoned Claudius with Laertes on the final liquidation of Hamlet.
Ophelia, Hamlet's sweetheart, the girl is not the kind her father bless their relationship Bhammelt, damaged by a lot of Hamlet after it was alleged insanity and that he does not know (in his attempt to uncover the truth of his father's death, and so hides his intentions to avenge even sure of the truth)
How to discover the betrayal of his uncle Claudius Hamlet? Established Hamlet ceremony marking the first anniversary of the marriage of his uncle from his mother, and the coronation of his uncle Kofa Ali Denmark displayed on this ceremony, the story of betrayal known by the ghost of his father, and appeared on his uncle tension and went uncle and leave the concert Hence make sure Hamlet of betrayal of his uncle Claudius and decided to take revenge on him
with the aid of Wikipedia(less)

Madeline
Hamlet, abridged:

GHOST/DAD: Hamlet, your uncle killed me and married your mom. I want vengeance, so best get to murdering, plzthnx.

HAMLET: EEK!

OPHELIA: Hamlet, are you okay?

HAMLET: Get away from me, skankwhore!

OPHELIA: WTF? *goes from zero to crazy like that*

GERTRUDE: Kid, you need therapy.

HAMLET: And you need to be less of AN ADULTEROUS WHORE!

POLONIUS: OMG so rude!

HAMLET: Eavesdropping? I KEEL YOU!

*play goes on hold while Hamlet talks to skeletons*

LAERTES: You killed my dad and drove my sis
Steve Sckenda
Feb 25, 2015 Steve Sckenda rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of Language; Searchers for Themselves
Recommended to Steve by: Ms. McFarland
“When such a spacious mirror’s set before him, He needs must see himself.” Shakespeare

This play is a mirror. I met Hamlet in 12th grade English, and I was told that he was a man who could not make up his mind and failed to fulfill his promise to timely avenge his father's death. I was also told that Freud said that Hamlet was really Oedipus, in love with his mother and at war with the father figure. No thanks.

Here is the only plot detail necessary for you to understand my limited review. In Act
Paul Bryant
The Skinhead Hamlet - Shakespeare's play translated into modern English. By Richard Curtis. Yes, that Richard Curtis!

Note : those offended by the F word - LOOK AWAY NOW! And Georgia, if you've stumbled on this review by your funny old dad - this is ANOTHER Paul Bryant. Not me!

*********

ACT I
SCENE I
The Battlements of Elsinore Castle.

[Enter HAMLET, followed by GHOST:]

SCENE II
The Throneroom.

[Enter KING
Jason
“Madness in great ones must not unwatch’d go.”

I don’t know what to say about Hamlet. I could go on about how it is a story of madness and revenge. I could talk about the bonds of family loyalty, the sacrifices of love, the breaches of trust and their deleterious effects on the psyche. But this is old news—Hamlet has been around for over four hundred years. What could I possibly say that hasn’t already been said?

When my wife saw I was reading Shakespeare, her snippy comment went something like, “
Keely
Shakespeare is an adept poet and master of the language. He layers on jokes, puns, and references everywhere. He has a massive output of work, and a number of different plots. When we compare him to other authors, it is difficult to find anyone who stacks up--but then, we're often comparing him to the wrong people.

Shakespeare didn't write books or pamphlets or epics, he wrote plays: short pieces of drama that were meant to be fast-paced and exciting. That they are mainly experienced today as bou
Dolors
May 19, 2015 Dolors rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The sound and the crazy
“All that is amiable and excellent in nature is combined in Hamlet, with the exception of one quality. He is a man living in meditation, called upon to act by every motive human and divine, but the great object of his life is defeated by continually resolving to do, yet doing nothing but resolve.”
Lecture XII, STC.

As much as I admire Coleridge and with the boldness of having read Hamlet only once and therefore being aware I haven’t even managed to scratch the surface of the Paragon of Tragedies
Manny
Ian Cantankeroo-Gazan
A Young Lawyer’s Guide to "Hamlet":

Head Note

Something is rotten in the state of Denmark – Young Hamlet still mourns his father’s death – doesn’t like King Claudius marrying his mother, Queen Gertrude, so soon

Ophelia's brother, Laertes, warns her not to fall in love with Young Hamlet - her father Polonius fears she will be hurt

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern investigate Young Hamlet’s strange behavior – Polonius believes he loves Ophelia

Ghost of Hamlet tells Young Hamlet he was poisoned by King Cla
Trevor
Feb 09, 2008 Trevor rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humans
Shelves: literature
I’ve always meant to talk to my mate George about Hamlet and I guess this is as good an opportunity to do so as any.

There are different things I would say to different people about Hamlet – and as this is the near perfect play I guess there ought to be many and various things one could say about it.

The oddest thing about Hamlet is that people always tend to say the same thing – they always say, “Oh yes, Hamlet, the man who hesitates”. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I don’t believe i
Aubrey
I first encountered Hamlet in comic book form, alongside many other Shakespeare plays portrayed with fantastical characters in all shades, poses, and degrees of perverseness. The strongest memory from that time consists of the titular character, blonde head posing with an innocent expression between a hawk and a handsaw. Some time later I was intrigued to learn that Shakespeare himself had performed in productions as the infamous ghost. Nothing else of his acting career stayed in my brain, which ...more
Jason Koivu
"To be or not to be...," that is not my favorite line. My favorite is: "Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio; a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy; he hath borne me on his back a thousand times."

It's that recollection of innocent days that gets me every time, because you know Hamlet is being swept up in a vortex of innocence lost.

STUPID ADULTS! They screw up everything!

I grew up in a truly idyllic setting. As childhoods go, mine was a joy. But then you grow up and you wake up t
Caris
THIS BOOK IS ABOUT GO FUCK YOURSELF.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Final body count = 8

Got the hots for your sister-in-law? Wanna be king? Just bump off your brother and marry his wife! Then your nephew will be your stepson, but you will call him "cousin." Very soon, you and everyone around you will be dead, and some Norwegian dude will plop his dimply butt in your throne.

Ophelia
This guy completely creeps me out:

Do you realise I had to stage my own suicide to get rid of him? That thing he does with the skull? It isn't the half of it....but you really don't want to know.

Nah. This is the guy for me. Sweet, brings me flowers and honey. Has the cutest friends.

Go Winnie.
Jonfaith
What is a man, if his chief good and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? a beast, no more. Sure he that made us with such large discourse, looking before and after, gave us not that capability and god-like reason to fust in us unused.

en·thrall (ĕn-thrôl′) tr.v. en·thralled, en·thrall·ing, en·thralls. 1. To hold spellbound; captivate: The magic show enthralled us.

pretty good stuff. a bit derivative of dfw, but overall, not bad. interesting to see what this young man does next. aidan w-m
Cheryl
HAMLET is certainly an artistic failure. T.S. Eliot

This once-fashionable judgment of Shakespeare's huge play is not shared by the majority of those who have experienced it on the page or in the theatre. In fact, it is compared with "The Divine Comedy" or "Paradise Lost", "Ulysses" or "In Search of Lost Time" as essential intellectual experiencing.

What is the reason for the play's transcendence over other western classics? In my opinion, Hamlet stands alone as a character who is so charismatic, h
Whitney Atkinson
I loooooved the plot of this book. Hamlet was amazing and sassy and I loved reading about him. It was just very hard to read because, obviously, it's shakespeare. Had I read this book without spark notes and my teacher, I would NOT have understood it.
Grace Tjan
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Hamlet vs Winnie-the-Pooh

Sometimes Winnie-the-Pooh likes a game of some sort
when he comes downstairs, and sometimes he likes to sit
quietly in front of the fire and listen to a story. This eve-
ning—
"What about a story?" said Christopher Robin.
"What about a story?" I said.
"Could you very sweetly tell Winnie-the-Pooh one?"
"I suppose I could," I said. "What sort of stories does
he like?"
"About himself. Because he's that sort of Bear."
"
Kira
Hamlet himself is probably one of the most unsavory, melodramatic, whiny, self-obsessed, misogynistic and ridiculous characters Shakespeare ever concocted. If I were rating this book based on the character of Hamlet, I wouldn't give it any stars. Just a good, hard kick in the pants.

But I'm a fool for Shakespeare. I'm a fool for his language, this brilliance he cuts from his skin and pours on to the paper. I'm a fool for his ability to work an insanely gripping and engaging plot out of a premise
Afshar
هملت شاهزاده دانمارک است
و عاشق افلیا دختر يكي از افراد مورد اعتماد پادشاه است
اما به ناگاه طمع به جان انسان مي افتد و دوباره روز سپيد دگرگون شده و سياهي اندوه زندگي هملت را فرا مي گيرد
پدر هملت به قتل رسیده است
و روح پدرش تا انتقامش گرفته نشود آرام نخواهد گرفت

هملت در دوراهي سختی قرار مي گيرد
جاده اي به سوي عشقش افليا و پادشاهي
و جاده اي كه به سوي شمشير و خونريزي و تيره روزي ختم مي شود

هملت هم از جمله كتاب هاي شكسپير است كه اكنون براي درمان بعضي بيماري هاي رواني تجويز مي شود
روانشناسان میگویند خواندن
Sparrow
Jul 12, 2010 Sparrow rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people, people with power
Recommended to Sparrow by: High school English
In high school, I made the mistake of thinking that Hamlet was an angst-ridden loser who was pissed about having to take algebra when he “knew he was never going to use it.” Not that I had any problems with angst. Big fan. I just thought he failed at angst. He wasn’t the dreamy eyed poet, he was the kid in class who made everyone cringe by shooting his hand up to complain about the abstract unfairness of the school system (or universe. Whatever). I saw the beautiful words, but they only meant wo ...more
Brad
Is there a better artistic expression of death's myriad manifestations than Shakespeare's Hamlet? I say no. In my counter-factual universe I see William Shakespeare as a Lieutenant at the First Somme. Imagine the war poetry that Shakespeare could have written. Perhaps one such war sonnet would have gone something like this:

My subaltern’s eyes will ne’er again see the sun,
Exposed hearts are more red than whores lips are red;
If we go o’er the top we are sure to face the gun;
And those caught on
Riku Sayuj
Single Quote Review:

Every character in Hamlet, if not crazy, then criminal.

~ Chateaubriand.
K.D. Absolutely
Jan 15, 2013 K.D. Absolutely rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Newsweek's Metalist 100
Shelves: play, classics, metalist
My second read book by William Shakespeare and I am happy I read finally read this.

This No Fear Shakespeare series has both the original Shakespeare texts on the left side and the modern English translation on the right side. The lines are put side by side. I read the modern texts first and then afterwards, the original texts. Just like the experience that I had reading the first book of this format that I read last year, Barron's A Midsummer Night's Dream (4 stars), I had an exhilarating time.
Eh?Eh!
CELEBRITY DEATHMATCH REVIEWS

WINNIE THE POOH vs. HAMLET

In a darkly-lit conference room, in a secret hidden fortress complex deep under the waterways of Venice, Italy, a meeting of the most horrible minds on Earth convenes.

Patrick Bateman (of American Psycho fame), Jar-Jar Binks, Dick Cheney, Satan, and Mr. Burns (of The Simpsons fame). Sit nervously around a table.

Satan: It’s been fifteen minutes? Do you think he’s coming?

Dick Cheney: He always does this… he makes us wait just to show us who’s in
Dustin

"So shall you hear
Of carnal, bloody, and unnatural acts,
Of deaths put on by cunning and forced cause
And, in thus upshot, purposes mistook
Fall in on th' inventors heads. All this can I
Truly deliver."

The basis of Hamlet is archaic. Even in Shakespeare's time. Its unique origin is believed by scholars and critics alike to have stemmed from various family quarrels throughout history in the North. From there, many a sailor conveyed the tale to Ireland, which-in turn-- added a certain Celtic l
Chris
Once, there was a prince. He was an only child, and his mother seemed to love him. Then his father was murdered. Then, his mother married his father's murderer. The country fell into civil war.

Makes you feel sorry for James I and VI doesn't it?

Once, there was a prince. He was very depressed, suicidal even. He saw things, like ghosts and demons. Sadly, this was before prozac and other drugs. He killed people.

That's Hamlet. King James believed in witches, and once he got to rule on his own, he se
Jonathan
Sep 06, 2014 Jonathan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Shakespeare admirers (as in of his work)
I've read a few of the more popular Shakespeare texts and still have many more to read. I would love to fully complete his entire collection due to the brilliance of the bard. But you didn't want to read about my meetings with Shakespeare did you? You want a review of Hamlet. And a review you shall have as soon as I...

Here we are. Review generated.

When I first picked up Hamlet I thought to myself: 'This will be just like every other of Shakespeare's plays. I'll enjoy the story and find the prose
Brad
I have loved Hamlet for most of my life. I've read it, performed in it, read it again and again, seen it on stage countless times, performed in Stoppard’s 15 minute version, read it again and again and again, and taught it over and over. I have always loved it.

But not this time.

I finished re-reading it last night (I've one more class to teach tomorrow), and I feel like I've just fallen out of love. You know that feeling when you still love someone but you're no longer in love? That's where I se
Bill  Kerwin

I don't really have any important insights to share from this most recent of god-knows-how-many readings, but this time through I was really struck by: 1) what a damn fine piece of stagecraft this is, from the suspenseful, moody opening on the castle battlements to the solemn dead march carrying the prince offstage, and 2) how Shakespeare seems to want Hamlet's personality--particularly the wellsprings of his actions (and lack of action)--to remain an enigma, and that he achieves this by infusin
Which is better? 5 32 May 12, 2015 12:45AM
Should Hamlet be updated? 67 331 Apr 16, 2015 04:14AM
50 books to read ...: Hamlet 5 18 Mar 11, 2015 02:54AM
Brain Pain: Discussion Three – Hamlet - Act III 19 27 Mar 10, 2015 05:29AM
Brain Pain: * Questions, Resources, and General Banter - Hamlet 12 39 Mar 08, 2015 03:45PM
FHS English 12 - ...: Hamlet 15 7 Mar 06, 2015 12:21PM
  • The Caucasian Chalk Circle
  • The Revenger's Tragedy
  • Long Day's Journey Into Night
  • The Alchemist
  • Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
  • Angels in America, Part One: Millennium Approaches
  • Tartuffe
  • The Persecution and Assassination of Jean-Paul Marat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade
  • The Lieutenant of Inishmore
  • Rabbit Hole
  • Phèdre
  • Equus
  • All in the Timing
  • A Doll's House
  • Edward II
  • Mrs. Warren's Profession
  • Dead Man's Cell Phone (TCG Edition)
  • Iphigenia in Aulis
William Shakespeare (baptised 26 April 1564) was an English poet and playwright, widely regarded as the greatest writer in the English language and the world's pre-eminent dramatist. He is often called England's national poet and the "Bard of Avon" (or simply "The Bard"). His surviving works consist of 38 plays, 154 sonnets, two long narrative poems, and several other poems. His plays have been tr ...more
More about William Shakespeare...
Romeo and Juliet Macbeth A Midsummer Night's Dream Othello Much Ado About Nothing

193 trivia questions
15 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Doubt thou the stars are fire;
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love.”
6713 likes
“This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”
6251 likes