As a Thief in the Night: A Resource/Reference Book to Assist in Identifying Kingdoms and Events of the Last Years Before the Second Coming of Jesus Christ

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  77 ratings  ·  19 reviews
paperback
Published 1998 by Celestial Publications & Distribution (first published 1991)

Cherie
I was going on my merry way before I read this book. Talk about awakening to our awful situation! This book lays out biblical, modern and prophetic revelation about gathering to places of refuge, the importance of following the prophet in relation to food storage and most importantly, WATCHING AND WAITING for the signs of the last days to unfold. Thanks to this book, I have a room of full of supplies and food!
Marty
This is not, entirely, Mr. Young's fault.

While a firm believer in the 2nd Coming of Jesus Christ and also someone who feels that being prepared is an important part of that event, I also believe the scripture that says that no man knows the day or the hour, and I believe in adherence to latter-day prophet council on basic preparedness. So, a book "identifying kingdoms and events of the last years before the Second Coming of Jesus Christ" seems--to me--both pointless and extraneous, and is not on...more
James
The author goes through every single prophesy dealing with the second coming of Christ and tries to relate it to current events. He admits at the beginning of the book that it was originally intended as a study for his family only and that he is not a general authority. I thought it was interesting to see what others think about how the events foretold in the revelations relate to current events. I don't necessarily agree with everything. Of course, the author doesn't ask you to agree. He is sim...more
Stanley Hall
After reading this book I finally feel like I understand what is going to happen in the last days. I've read a lot on the subject before but it was too confusing. This book tries to put more order to it, and actually gives you opinions on what is happening now. Because the author is not a professor he doesn't have to worry about his reputation or being erudite to impress people. He just tells it like it is. Sure to offend people who like to think that the second coming is a long way off and that...more
Sally
There may have been relevant, correct information in this book, but I was so struck by the extremist, "little chicken," self-superior tone that I couldn't take it seriously. God doesn't want us freaking out. I was also bothered that (in the first edition at least) the author only went by an initial and last name, there was no author bio; almost like we wanted to remain anonymous. Not a good sign when an author won't publicly stand behind his work.
Janae
I thought this book was very helpful in putting things in perspective. I think we get so involved in our everyday lives that we forget what is really important. You do need to be in the right mind set to read this book. It can be scary but for me I felt excited to think of the time when christ will come again. "If we are prepared we need not fear." This was a very informative book and was great to learn more about what might happen in future days.
Katrina
I'm almost done with this and wish I owned the most updated version. I first learned about it from my LDS bishop when I was a teenager, but was never able to find/read it. So I was amazed to actually find it at my local library (only in Utah)! It has taught me a lot and made me think even more, to figure out and do what our family needs to be as prepared as we can be.
Amanda
Jun 02, 2012 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
I am giving this book 4 stars... Mainly because it lit a fire in me about physical preparation for my family ie: food storage and how am I going to cook if I have no electricity.
There were some good references and stories and I especially liked the sanctification section at the end... But I feel the need to take it all with a grain of salt and not literally as scripture.
Jordan
I really like how this book is written. The author makes it clear what is his opinion and what is the citation. While some of the author's opinions are a little off, such as the timing of the Second Coming, the way the source material has been organized and the quantity of different sources is great.
Deb
A fascinating, thought provoking, and eye-opening study/ analysis of scriptural passages and events relating to the latter days leading up to and including Christ's return or second coming. Clearly written, easy to follow and understand. A must read for anyone who is interested in this subject.
Amber
I really liked this book. It is exactly what I have always wanted to read. It is a list of all the scripture refrences and apostle quotes regarding the second coming of Christ. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot.
Cyndi
A MUST read to learn and comprehend the events leading to the last days. Interpretation of scriptures enables understanding while theories are presented as such.
Melissa Fowler
Scary. It moves you to action. The chapter "Wars and Rumors of War in America" has very specific signs taken from the visions of Latter Day Prophets.
Christine
Horrifying...shouldn't have read this before going to bed tonight. I may be dreaming of hail weighing 75 lbs. tonight.
Leslie
Jul 16, 2008 Leslie is currently reading it
Has helped me to understand more of what is happing in the last days and how Zion will be built.
Audrey
A really great study of the last days.
Cecilia
Very eye-opening.
James M.
James M. marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Alice Ambrose
Alice Ambrose marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
April Millar
April Millar marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Kirsti Ramirez
Kirsti Ramirez marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Brianc1969
Brianc1969 marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 11, 2013
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dreams & Visions of the Last Days: A Compilation of Old and Recent Dreams and Visions of Many of the Events of the Last Days, Particularly of the United States "..And There Shall Be Signs.." Dreams and Visions of the Last Days, Special Edition Escape From Babylon When Ye Shall See All These Things