Dreamtoons

Dreamtoons

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Anyone who has ever had a weird dream—and the desire to tell it to others—will enjoy this collection of dream cartoons. It features the best of a weekly comic strip illustrating dreams that real people from all over the world have sent to artist Jesse Reklaw. Reklaw takes written descriptions of dreams and turns them into three or four cartoon panels. The result is a surre...more
Published July 5th 2000 by Shambhala

Megan
Dreamtoons is a short trade paperback collection of four-panel daily comic strips drawn by Jesse Reklam. All of the strips are based on dreams submitted to Reklam by readers. His strip started online and is now syndicated in several print newspapers.

It's a pretty neat idea, but in practice it gets old really fast. Some of the dreams are intriguing, others just plain boring. All of the dreams get the same four-panel setup, which is too bad when one of the dreams is really interesting and you jus...more
Peacegal
I have intense interest in dreams, probably because I’m constantly being awed, disturbed, confused, and terrified by my own. The Dreamtoons series was a perfect fit for me. (Although, to be perfectly honest, I think some of these were made up or embellished.)

And if you think your dreams are weird, it might be comforting to realize you have plenty of company.
Rkutler
Unique take on the inner life. Jung would have appeciated this, I like to think. If you like Dreamtoons (and Austin, TX or Punkrockers, or have ever worked in a video store) try My Life in a Jugular Vein by Ben Snakepit who breaks his own life into three panel segments in a somewhat similar fashion, although nothing to do with dreams...
Hope
Not for everyone, I guess, but, being interested in dreams and "dreamwork," I really enjoyed the concept of this oddball book. Sometimes dreams are just dreams and not Profound Messages From The Universe -- this book celebrates "just dreams." Whether or not they had meaning to the dreamer is beside the point. Great fun, quirky, amusing.
Susan
Feb 01, 2008 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of short comics, people who have strange dreams
Recommended to Susan by: Helen
Shelves: 2008read
There's some pretty hilarious stuff in here, both in the way the dreams are described and the illustrations of them. Not a huge fan of the drawing style and I wish there could've been color, but I do love this concept!

Grade: B+
Andrew Coltrin
I got $10 and a signed first edition because Jesse Reklaw used a cartoon based on my dream about driving a pickup to the moon. (It involved jumping it off a really long ramp).
Kevin Hodgson
This is an odd book -- the illustrator takes people's dreams (they send them in) and turns them into illustrations. Pretty freaky stuff here. But fascinatingly freaky.
Helen
A bunch of these really made me laugh out loud. Truly captures the randomness that is our dreams...and kudos to the artist for interpreting them into comics. :)
Tasara
Better in small doses, but still very fun. I will now probably try to remember my dreams in witty 4 panel comics.
Laura Morrigan
Wonderfully entertaining, and great for anyone who has ever wondered if other people have as weird dreams as they do!
Lark
I can only say that this is absolutely my kind of humor. A couple of these made me laugh until I cried.
Dennis
Marvelous collection of people's dreams condensed into four-panel comic strips..
Meg
Not quite as good as The Night of Your Life, but still entertaining.
Twan
Aug 20, 2012 Twan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
"I love you, dreamwoman"
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Clayborn
Clayborn marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Carissa Krisara
Carissa Krisara marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2013
Tim Brown
Tim Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2013
Wheeler
Wheeler marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Matt
Matt added it
Dec 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Applicant The Night of Your Life Couch Tag Ten Thousand Things to Do World Health, Carbon Dioxide & The Weather