Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?

Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  128 reviews
Diets don't work. Why not? Because they focus on what foods we should and shouldn't eat but completely ignore everything else that makes us fat. Look at your own situation: You say you want to lose weight, but you just can't stop indulging. You say you'd exercise more if only you had the time, yet you spend precious hours every night in front of the TV doing what? Munching...more
Published February 5th 2008 by Free Press

Dogdaysinaz
When I started listening to the book, it seemed pretty simple. As I continued to listen, I found that it IS simple, but it reminds the listener of things we know, but don't know. I found parts of the book powerful enough that I would listen to this book again.

This is not a diet book--it is about my relationship with my body. *sigh* I do not have a good relationship with my body. But I do know, more or less, how I want to live--I want to live a healthy, active life. And that is his focus.

I would...more
Allison Elliott
This book is good for getting the common sense aspects of losing weight and changing lifestyle slapped into your brain. When I was losing weight, the things he describes as advice were exactly the things working for me, and when I wasn't losing weight, the obstacles were also similar to his description.

But, like most self-help books, it eats a bit like dry toast. I found myself skimming chapters thinking "I already know all of this". I would use this book again in the future to remind myself of...more
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
I picked this book up on a whim - just for curiosity's sake from the local library while I was on an organization kick. I thought it might be helpful. It mostly wasn't, only on a very basic level (I am an organized person whom was looking for more advanced tips, I am also not overweight.) So, if you want a kick in the seat because you are very unorganized and/or overweight then its a book for you. From the title is is obvious that the author makes the assumption that people (specifically women)...more
Terri
This book goes beyond Peter Walsh's "It's All Too Much". In that book he focused on the clutter in our homes. This time he deals with that clutter first and then on how it affects our "butts." He maintains that if our lives are filled with clutter then our eating habits are probably chaotic and filled with excess and junk too.

Walsh delves into the kitchen to clear it of useless gadgets and food clutter.

I especially like Walsh's one size does NOT fit all approach, "You'll notice that I'm not bein...more
Amy
The "voice" of Peter Walsh, for me, is just amazing. His books help me put my whole life in perspective and make me feel like I can deal with any mess life throws at me, while digging out of the messes I am already in. This is his second book and it deals more with "life clutter" where is first book dealt with "real actual clutter". I recommend them both to anyone feeling slightly to completely overwhelmed by clutter of any kind.
Tarah
I liked this book and thought it made perfect sense. I felt it was very redundant at times...repeating itself constantly. It's a book that will motivate you to do something about all the crap you have built up in your home and in your body. I think I would personally enjoy his first book better. I understand it concentrates more on how to organize the clutter than on coorelating my clutter to my butt.
Clair
This book focuses on the connection of clutter in our homes and the extra pounds we carry around on our bodies. Walsh says he was inspired to write this book after receiving many letters from clients who mentioned that after they got their homes in order, their bodies more willingly followed.

I think it is right on in that different areas of our life are all connected. It has always been obvious to me that our spiritual well-being and our physical-well being are intertwined. Walsh points out tha...more
Martha
I liked this book even though somehow, from the title, I did not realize that the book was about weight problems and how they relate to our need to keep clutter. I was reading more for the clutter advice and not for the weight advice so there were parts and chapters in the beginning that I skimmed or skipped. But, towards the end there were very practical issues he addressed about food and eating that are good for anyone looking to eat a little better, simplify the process of food (getting, buyi...more
Karen
I rarely read self help books and I only picked this one up because I have It's All Too Much on my To-read list and recognized the author's name. I've been reading it a bit at a time - it's sorta boring and repeats the same info over and over. Oddly, it seems to be working because I seem to have internalized the message about not "cluttering" my body. The book seems to relate how people who have cluttered homes and cluttered, disorganized lives can also have a weight problem, derived from the sa...more
Audrey
My control-freak issues make me fat??? Holy crap. The control tendencies I had earlier in life kept me far too thin and have now made me far too fat. This book actually gave me many points to consider about why I eat what I eat and how much I eat, even why I buy the things I buy, hold on to the crap I keep. Unfortunately, I did add to my book addiction (one problem I'd already realized and of which I'd recognized the source) by taking this copy back to the library and buying my own copy of this...more
Cheri
I picked this up at my Mother's house and read it on the ride home from Christmas. There is some good advice and I like his straight-forwardness, but I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know. I love the title though, it is what made me pick it up.

I'm pretty good about my house clutter. Did a BIG de-cluttering this past Spring, but it is always good to be reminded adn I certainly could do more. My food clutter was more what I was interested in and it is just common sense information....more
Janis
I placed holds on several of Peter Walsh's books after spotting this one on the recent books section of my library. Walsh was (is?) on the clutter-clearing show Clean Sweep, which I have never seen. I was assuming that this book was about clearing clutter in one's home, as I'd read about the relationship between a cluttered home and being overweight.

This book is actually about losing weight. The idea is to make your home, and your behaviors, not sabotage weight-loss efforts. I actually set it as...more
Cory
In this book, Peter Walsh says both "It's not about the diet, it's about the decision" and "It's not about losing weight, it's about living your life." That's what makes this book interesting . . . it's a weight loss book that contains no meal plans, no exercise regimes, and no recipes. Instead, his focus is on setting up your kitchen/pantry/schedule so that you can have the life you want to lead. He helps you to get organized so that you can be happy. It's all about making choices so that your...more
Kate Mollohan
Of course it was the title that got me with this book, but it was a nice change from "you should eat more fruits and veggies." It was a quick read, and I skimmed over much of it (since a lot was large-print "letters from readers" and I only skimmed responses).

There were some good points in this short overview of how to declutter your life and body, including to celebrate each of your meals, and to establish goals for your body and your home and to work from there (anything that doesn't fit with...more
Micah
Feb 25, 2014 Micah added it
dis booc mad me thenk diferent bout my booty. guud booc yall
Moira Eberle
This gets 4 stars from the title alone.
Annmarie
For a book about reducing clutter and fat there was an awful lot of filler. I thought i had lost track of where I was in the book several times as he kept repeating himself for the sake of repeating himself.

There are some really helpful strategies in this book, but I found it more geared towards families with big homes than a single girl in an apartment.

There is also a lot of tough love that may or may not be your style. Overall worth the read, but be prepared it is not a one-size-fits-all kind...more
Denise
Okay,I give up. I've read a third of it and scanned the rest.
Too much common sense stuff about diet/lifestyle and not enough connecting FAT to having too much problem STUFF. I believe there's a great case for it, but that isn't what he's about in this book. I loved him on Oprah, the therapy part he did on the lady, the breakdown in the kitchen... that was some real shit. I don't think the book does Walsh justice though. He made me cry when I saw him on television. The book doesn't even get me ch...more
Liz
It's pretty simple advise. Clutter makes you fat. It stresses you out and makes your life miserable. The less the better your life. The more time you can devote to yourself. Clutter prevents you from finding those jogging shoes and running shorts. I know I can never do anything productive until I clean my apartment. I was the same way in college and in childhood. Not that my clutter free life has made me start running again... I still understand where he's going with this book. I would recommend...more
Julie
I needed motivation to clean up some of the clutter in my kitchen and this book was perfect! Peter Walsh gives good practical advice in a funny no-nonsense way. End result - I spent a day cleaning out the kitchen pantry and shelves, filled the recycle bin and garbage can, have another box to donate and have a much cleaner kitchen.

Not quite a diet book, but good motivation for cleaning up physical (or mental) clutter. Now if I only drop 7 pounds...
Lexi
Whoo hoo, a book that brings my two biggest flaws together--collecting and eating! This is a light "self-help" sort of read that offers a combination of common sense we all know with strategies to actually attain our goals.

Number 1: NO TV!!!

I have decluttered and rearranged my kitchen and am enjoying preparing meals there for the first time in a long time. I'm looking into Walsh's other books for more home reducing strategies.
LKM
I musn't have been paying attention, because I totally didn't -really- expect this book to be about weight loss when I started it. Buuut I was quite happy with it. Yes, it's simple, basic, doesn't say anything new that someone who's been digging into organization and/or weight loss and/or fitness/life improvement doesn't know, but it gathers all those simple tips in one place and reminds you of them.
Pretty nice, and pretty logical.
Susan
Jan 17, 2014 Susan marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
I love Peter Walsh and his look at the emotional side of clutter and life change. However this came across as too preachy and full of self-help speak. I just didn't relate at all.
Lost In A Fog
The short answer to the title question is, well, yeah.

Peter Walsh does a nice job of walking readers through the process of thinking about the why of our clutter as opposed to just the how-to-get-rig-of-it. With lots of notes from readers/viewers of the TV show he makes some solid points.

My favorite is that you should arrange your house so it fits with the life you want to live. I'll try that!
Cristina
This is awesome. Exactly what I needed to read. If you have clutter problems and are overweight, you should read this. It is motavational and helpful. He is blunt in his speach, but if you know him, he is trying to do good and help people. I like his sense of humor and it has really helped me look at my hous ein a different light. I like everything about Peter Walsh. Thanks for a great book! :)
Rachel
Jun 29, 2013 Rachel added it
A little offensive! I hate the word fat. I'm listening to the audio version read by the author himself, and there's just this hateful way the word fat rolls off his tongue (Not sure if he's British or Australian, but they have a way of making simple words sound so terrible!). However, there are so many little gems in this book for someone like me who hates clutter and needs to be rid of it.
Erin
I didn't really read this because I'm obese or anything, but I am feeling very cluttered right now, and like I'm gaining some weight. And guess what, the two are definitely related. Gave me some things to think about, and I've already made some major strides on the apartment that was getting out of hand with my hectic life lately...and gave me some room to get back to doing my exercising!
Ron
Mar 01, 2008 Ron rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone and everyone, not just people who want to lose weight.
I was already a huge fan when I got this book, but I was really thrilled to see how it reframes the whole "diet" issue to focus on a more holistic approach to making the choices that enact the life you truly want to live.

I interviewed Peter Walsh for GalleyCat.
Lacey
I picked this up out of curiosity as the title seemed quirky. I may read something else by Peter Walsh, more focused on what he's good at - organizing - because I am sure he has much more useful advice than this book offered. Not very helpful, funny or inspiring. If anyone is looking for serious weight loss guidance, I don't think this is the book to really get you going.
Jason
I liked this book a lot. I have now read three of Peter's books. What I liked the most about this book is how he draws the parallel between our bodies and our houses. When you look around at your house and see that it is filled with clutter, it is disgusting. Well, when you think of your body and what you're putting into it in a similar way - it certainly motivates me!
  • When Organizing Isn't Enough: Shed Your Stuff, Change Your Life
  • Houseworks: Cut the Clutter, Speed Your Cleaning, and Calm the Chaos
  • Body Clutter: Love Your Body, Love Yourself
  • Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life
  • Organize Now!: A Week-By-Week Guide to Simplify Your Space and Your Life!
  • Unclutter Your Life in One Week
  • The Gerson Therapy: The Amazing Nutritional Program for Cancer and Other Illnesses
  • Clutter's Last Stand: It's Time to de-Junk Your Life!
  • One Year to an Organized Life: From Your Closets to Your Finances, the Week-by-Week Guide to Getting Completely Organized for Good
  • What's a Disorganized Person to Do?
  • The Hoarder in You: How to Live a Happier, Healthier, Uncluttered Life
  • Organizing Plain & Simple
  • Clear Your Clutter with Feng Shui
  • The South Beach Diet Good Fats/Good Carbs Guide: The Complete and Easy Reference for All Your Favorite Foods
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • The Joy of Simple Living: Over 1,500 Simple Ways to Make Your Life Easy and Content-- At Home and At Work
  • Feeling Good Together: The Secret to Making Troubled Relationships Work
  • Cook This, Not That!: Easy & Awesome 350-Calorie Meals
19313
Born and raised in Australia, Peter moved to Los Angeles in 1994 to launch a corporation to help organizations improve employee’s job satisfaction and effectiveness. He considers himself to be part-contractor, part-therapist in his approach to helping individuals attain their goals.

When not wading through clutter and large-scale disorganization, Peter divides his time between his work in Los Angel...more
More about Peter Walsh...
It's All Too Much: An Easy Plan for Living a Richer Life with Less Stuff Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You How to Organize (Just About) Everything: More Than 500 Step-by-Step Instructions for Everything from Organizing Your Closets to Planning a Wedding to Creating a Flawless Filing System Lighten Up: Love What You Have, Have What You Need, Be Happier with Less It's All Too Much, So Get It Together