Start by marking “Applicant” as Want to Read:

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  14 reviews

A priceless time bomb of pop culture, this serves as a compelling and secret look into an impossibly lost era. The author found discarded, confidential, PhD applicant files for the biology department at an Ivy League university from 1965 to 1975 as he was rooting through the recycling bin for magazines. Photographs of the prospective students were stapled to many of the do

Published July 1st 2006 by Microcosm Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Applicant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Applicant

This summer, I was on several hiring panels. As candidates left and began to blur together we lamented how much easier it would be if we had photos next to their names, which reminded me of this awesome little Zine. It's a collection of photos of applicants with brief personnel notes from the 70s (?) that were found in an old file (?) or dumpster (?).
One of the notes reads, "“Weakness: she is a female, and an attractive, modest one, so is bound to marry". the notes coupled with the photos are p
Mar 14, 2012 Jackson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: voyeurs
My review of Applicant from Verbicide Online:

While rooting through a recycling bin for magazines, the editor of this booklet, Jesse Reklaw, stumbled upon a stack of old, yellowed confidential Ph.D. applicant files for the biology department at an Ivy League university from 1965 to 1975. Stapled to nearly each application was a photograph of the prospective student, and the confidential recommendation letters and forms written by the applicants’ former professors and employers—never intended to b
Jackie "the Librarian"
Jun 19, 2008 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who has ever been an applicant
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
This book is actually a 'zine.
"Her vivacity can occasionally distracting"
"I can imagine that he could be wearing on constant close exposure"
"Weakness: she is a female and an attractive, modest one so is bound to marry"

Applicant is a collection of actual photos that had been attached to Ph.D applications from 1965-1975, rescued from a recycling bin at an Ivy League school by editor Jesse Reklaw.
Under the photos are quotes from the applicants' former professors or employers, addressing personali
Wow! This book is rad.

A fellow dumpstered a bunch of grad school applications and compiled them into this small tome. Each two page spread includes a late 6os/early 70s era photo and some information that the interviewers wrote about the person in the picture.

It makes me wonder what has been said about me as I've gone through countless application processes.
As an employee in an Admissions Office at a college, I found this book to be humorous and shocking. The pictures of applicants to a PhD program from long ago are pretty amusing in of itself. Couple that with random quotes from their recommender's letters, and you've got a great bathroom read. Or a read on the subway. In any event, a quick, amusing read.
There wasn't much to this. Based on other reviews I was expecting to laugh a bit more often than I did. I would have probably liked this if we could have read more of the reference letters instead of just the one-liners that the editor picked out.
Carolyn DeCarlo
Go read this! So good/funny. Found a copy in the zine section of Wellington central library today and read it through twice. Probably going to buy a copy now so it's around whenever I want to have a look.
Brooke Lidell
A hilarious account to the awkwardness of being judged. Adding to my distaste of finding work where the requirements are for me to be "well groomed".
Super simple book, but absolutely hilarious. Going into more detail might ruin some of the joy of it!
I found this to be pretty funny. I like to see people publishing things they found in the garbage.
Mildly amusing at best. Finished it in under two minutes.
Jul 03, 2007 Jill marked it as to-read
This sounds absolutely hilarious!
Andrew Lenards
Short, but stellar...
Lance Reynald
Dec 28, 2007 Lance Reynald rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Sita marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Ryan Kennedy
Ryan Kennedy marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Alan marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Dov marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Tim Brown
Tim Brown marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Jeanine marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Rob marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Couch Tag The Night of Your Life Dreamtoons Ten Thousand Things to Do Lovf: An Illustrated History Of A Man Losing His Mind