Start by marking “The Dowry Of Miss Lydia Clark (Gresham Chronicles #3)” as Want to Read:
The Dowry Of Miss Lydia Clark (Gresham Chronicles #3)

The Dowry Of Miss Lydia Clark (Gresham Chronicles #3)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  1,480 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
When spring arrives in full, the town of Gresham reawakens to life. Soon more than one unlikely romance blooms among her villagers and readers will be delighted as even a bruised and timid heart is made to feel young and renewed. Devoted fans' love for the town of Gresham and its charming inhabitants has helped this series become a deeply cherished bestseller!
Paperback
Published June 1st 1999 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Dowry Of Miss Lydia Clark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dowry Of Miss Lydia Clark

Rachel Crooks
Dec 10, 2009 Rachel Crooks rated it really liked it
I stumbled upon this Gresham series in the library one day, and after overcoming some conceited shame at actually reading a predictable Christian romance, I really began to enjoy the characters and their individual struggles! There are a few reasons this book is worth reading, and one reason it isn't:

+1) The characters are warm-hearted and loveable, as well as diverse. Blackwell possesses the ability to get into the hearts and souls of her characters, and the difficulties they encounter are real
Julie Klassen
Feb 04, 2012 Julie Klassen rated it really liked it
I've enjoyed many of Lawana Blackwell's novels, but this was one of my favorites.
Mar 07, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I cannot get enough of the people in the village of Gresham. This book was as fun to read as the first two in the series. I'm looking forward to reading the fourth and last book in the series. I have to say, I have not always been impressed with "Christian" fiction. But this series wraps the Christian life into real situations and is quite inspiring. The characters are delightful and original. Good Read
Linnette
It's been quite some time since I read the first two books in this series, therefore it was a lot of work. I did enjoy the read, but I would have enjoyed more of Miss Lydia Clark's story and less of the side characters. While I understand the side characters are from previous books and I usually enjoy seeing how things transpire, I think there could have been a little less of the others and a little more of Miss Clark and her beau. The description on the back of the book didn't prepare for this. ...more
Loraine
Aug 12, 2013 Loraine rated it it was amazing
I really love books like this. Clean, easy to follow, good living. Nothing really out of the ordinary happens, but it's so interesting to read about people's lives in another century. I want to LIVE in Gresham. At that time. It seems so innocent a time to live, when propriety was so important. It seems a much simpler life, too. Sometimes when I'm running hither and yon, I yearn for a slower pace. When I can disappear into a novel like this one, I get that slower pace fulfilled. I'm looking forwa ...more
Heather
Feb 26, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
Patti
Jun 11, 2012 Patti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually would boost this to 4 1/2 stars. Second time read for me again, and I must say I thoroughly enjoy invisibly roaming the village of Gresham!

The newest (and oldest) of Gresham's inhabitants are introduced and layer upon layer we get to know their characters and challenges. One writing detail I especially like is the way Lawana Blackwell puts the character's thoughts and reactions in italics so we know what they are REALLY thinking. Propriety dominants actions in 19th century England, b
Gail
Nov 16, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
As sappy Christian romance novels go, this is as good as it gets. An easy read, some nice historical detail (though occasionally inserted with an awkward hand), characters, plot, and less preachy than most.

None of it is /great/, but it is all competently rendered, and the characters grow in a consistent and believable way, learning lessons over time instead of merely having a Christian epiphany at the end which serves as a --forgive me-- deus ex machina.

I wish it were possible to find Christian
Oct 28, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Lawana Blackwell has written wonderful Christian Historical Romances. This is the last in this series and I have enjoyed it a lot. A young woman whom was raised in a supposedly Christian home with a Vicar/ Father, received little attention and care. She got drawn into a seriously wicked relationship at a young age, but during the story is wooed by the Holy Spirit and has a new life. At the same time, an old maid school teacher thought she would probably never marry until a handsome archeologist ...more
Christy
Mar 25, 2015 Christy rated it really liked it
Another surprising and pleasant visit to Gresham. If you have not visited this intriguing village in England with cobblestone lanes and interesting town's people with good humor and sincere hearts I encourage you to take a look. There is a host of characters and never a dull moment. The romance is just a subtle hint that makes it all the more inviting. Lawana Blackwell certainly has a way with words.
Tiffany
Mar 16, 2009 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
So far this has been my favorite of the Gresham Chronicles. I love the two main characters in this story (the schoolmistress and the archeologist) and their developing relationship. It was a great story about friendship being the basis of a solid relationship and being our true selves. I love the subtle and witty humor. It was also a great story about the transformation from personal shallowness and dependence to spiritual depth and reconciliation.
Penny
Apr 03, 2013 Penny rated it it was amazing
After finishing this incredible book today, I went to my bookshelves to pick my next book to read and I was greatly disappointed. There will be no more Vicar and Mrs. Phelps, Mr. and Mrs. Clay, until I get the fourth and final book of this series. The characters in these books become your friends. You are left wanting to know what is happening to them. You are always yearning for more.
Belladora Ahumada
Jan 27, 2013 Belladora Ahumada rated it it was amazing
After reading the first two books in this series I had to grab the third. I have completely enjoyed it. Sometimes I find myself chuckling out loud. Other times I am lost in the beautiful detail the writer weaves into the settings. And often I find peace with the kindness she lays before the readers eyes. This has been a blessing to read and share. Bravo again!
Judith
Oct 21, 2008 Judith rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians
Recommended to Judith by: library
Continuing this Gresham series made interesting turns and twists. I'm looking forward to Book 4 that is just out but I'll wait until I can get it at the library.
A great christian book with many new lessons.
I learned never give up.
Daisy
Nov 24, 2009 Daisy rated it really liked it
I devoured this series, but must admit to a certain disappointment with regards to the overall ending. The wedding was sweet, but I wanted something more. Some sort of wrap up of the characters....how their lives may have continued....something.
Mar 18, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
Finished the book today. A good one to curl up in a chair with a cup of hot tea and relax with all the good people in the town. Confession and redempsion is the focal point and well written. Last of a 3 book series.
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
the plot of this series is definitely beginning to feel a little forced and rushed. odd, since there is plenty of room to spread out a bit, that too much seems to happen in the final 20 pages.
i'll still read book 4, with hopeful heart. ;)
Melissa
Feb 01, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
Plain schoolteacher, Miss Clark, is considered an old maid. But things get interesting when a country man decides to court her. When a lodger at the inn falls in love with a novelist who stays in the inn, he asks for Miss Clark's help in deciphering the symbolism in her books.
Kati
Jun 26, 2009 Kati rated it really liked it
Another in the Gresham series. I really feel as though I know these characters, and they are nice people to read about.
Tara
Sep 18, 2009 Tara rated it it was amazing
Again Loved it! Blackwell has such a great style of storytelling. I love this time period too (late 1800's) and all of the rules of propriety and courtship.
Crystal
Nov 04, 2008 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-reads, 2008
I really liked this book. There were several plots going on, and each was done very well. The ending was extremely satisfying.
Lawana
Jul 19, 2012 Lawana rated it liked it
Good book.....maybe not as good as Books 1 and 2 of the series but good. Now I want to read the 4th. book of the series.
Paula
Oct 20, 2008 Paula rated it it was amazing
Great clean book about relationships, spinsterhood, repentance, and forgiveness. I cried.
Christie Lovvorn
May 08, 2017 Christie Lovvorn rated it it was amazing
I purposefully took my time reading this book to savor the third story in Lawana Blackwell's delightful Gresham Chronicles series. Schoolteacher and spinster Lydia Clark is charming as is archaeologist Jacob Pitney. On occasion, I found tedious Jacob's bumbling efforts at romance and his love interest's selfishness and disdain. However, I did like Jacob and reading the sage advice of Vicar Phelps and his wife Julia was like visiting with old friends. I felt the same about my "visits" with Lydia ...more
BlueJeansAndTeacups
May 20, 2013 BlueJeansAndTeacups rated it it was amazing
ALL FOUR BOOKS IN THIS SERIES ARE REVIEWED HERE FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE

THE WIDOW OF LARKSPUR INN, The Gresham Chronicles Book #1
Lawana Blackwell
•°o•:**:•. THESE PEOPLE BECAME FAMILY .•:**:• o°•
Book one of The Gresham Chronicles is set in England/1860s. Julia Hollis has 3 children, servants and a grand home, and everything she needs until her husband suddenly passes away. She finds herself very suddenly deep in debt. She has days before the bank will throw her out and take everything. The only thin
Shaelah
May 08, 2017 Shaelah rated it liked it
A sweet, guilty pleasure. I will always enjoy Blackwell's evocative writing.

My favourite novels to read in bits just before I go to sleep (as an insomniac, that's actually no small compliment.)
Rachel
I found I didn't enjoy book three in The Gresham Chronicles as much as the first two. I had a difficult time deciding what to rate this. The story is divided pretty equally between two characters; Miss Lydia Clark, the schoolmistress of the new secondary school for older students, and “Mrs.” Noelle Somerville, a kept mistress of a man who married a wealthy older woman and has sent Noelle to live in Gresham to hide from his wife.

Lydia, a plain schoolteacher of thirty-four, is asked to teach the
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Sep 03, 2014 Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it really liked it
Like the first two books in the series, The Widow of Larkspur Inn and The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter, the story is about the quaint dairy village of Gresham and not just about the title character.

Lydia is courted by the rugged coarse Harold Sanders, but finds her heart stolen by archaeologist Jacob Pitney who is interested in the distant overly romantic Miss Rawlins. Pretending to be a widow, Noelle Somerville arrives in Gresham having been sent away by her married lover and finds hersel
Cheryl
Aug 04, 2015 Cheryl rated it liked it
This was a much better book than the second in the series and almost as good as the first. I liked the struggle that Jonathon went through to prove himself to be trustworthy but I felt like there probably needed to be several years of honesty and forthrightness before I would have ever taken him back or allowed him to date my daughter. I liked Lydia and especially that she was attractive but not conventionally gorgeous. I got a bit tired of the archeologist being so stuck on such an obviously du ...more
Veronica
Nov 10, 2012 Veronica rated it liked it
I would have liked this book better had it not been for a new character the author added, that although it showed how much a person can fall and grow, I hated this character's whole persona and what she brought to the book.
Still, we have an ending filled with hope and dreams and the story is still very light and lovely.
We learn about some of what happened to the minor characters of the other books, and other characters barely mentioned get more participation, so that was nice too.
This book has
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Dec 17, 2014 07:35AM
  • Sister's Choice (Patchwork Circle, #2)
  • Today's Embrace (East of the Sun #3)
  • Believing the Dream (Return to Red River, #2)
  • A Hopeful Heart (Heart of the Prairie #5)
  • Red Bird (Prairie Winds, #3)
  • Daughter of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #2)
  • Promised to Me (Coming to America #4)
  • To Dream Anew (Heirs of Montana, #3)
  • Glory (Brides of the West, #4)
  • The Sacred Shore (Song of Acadia, #2)
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
Lawana Blackwell is a full-time writer with 10 published novels, including the bestselling Gresham Chronicles series. She and her husband have three grown sons and live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
More about Lawana Blackwell...

Gresham Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Widow of Larkspur Inn (Gresham Chronicles #1)
  • The Courtship of the Vicar's Daughter (Gresham Chronicles #2)
  • The Jewel of Gresham Green (Gresham Chronicles #4)

“It was a family joke that Lydia's domestic tendencies were somehow misplaced when she was created.” 1 likes
“No matter the gender or location, the students brought her joy and frustration, laughter and sometimes sorrow, but they gave her a worthy reason to get out of bed every morning.” 0 likes