The Oldest Rookie: Big-League Dreams from a Small-Town Guy

The Oldest Rookie: Big-League Dreams from a Small-Town Guy

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Jim Morris was a high school physics teacher until becoming a professional ball player at age 35. This is the true story of how he signed on as the major league's oldest rookie pitcher in 40 years and how long-buried dreams can return to redeem a life.
Published April 1st 2001 by Little, Brown and Company

To ask other readers questions about The Oldest Rookie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oldest Rookie

Adam Molloy
In this 288-page biography, Jim Morris is an amazing baseball player growing up and has dreams to become a major-league pitcher. When he graduates high school, though, life hits him. He has an unexpected baby, is low on money, and he isn't going anywhere in baseball. Over the next few years he tries over and over to advance, but he is plagued with arm injuries that keep him from moving up to the next league. When he finally settles down and finds a teaching job, he coaches the high school baseba...more
Chris
I felt very let down by this book. I live in the UK but really got into baseball during a visit to the states a few years ago.

I joined an amateur baseball team and hoped this book would be inspirational. It really isn't.

The book is poorly written by a selfish, shallow, egotistical, boastful bore. He spends the whole book going on about what a winner he is whilst simultaniously alienating his poor wife and family and blaming any failures he encounters on everyone except himself. He tries to claim...more
Lawrence Perez
"The Rookie" by. Jim Morris, is the Incredible True Story of a Man Who Never Gave Up on His Dream, is a wonderful book that tells the life of a baseball player named Jimmy Morris. Jimmy grew up as the son of a recruiter for the United States Navy, a job that required constant moving from town to town. Jimmy and his family never stayed in one town for very long, as they were constantly on the move, due to his dad's job, yet the one thing that kept Jimmy happy, was baseball. Everywhere he went, ev...more
Brenden
The Oldest Rookie

Jim Morris grew up on military bases as a child. Ever since he was a little kid he loved to play with balls. When ever he got a present that was not a toy he would trough a fit and goes to find a ball to play with. One present he got was a ball and a mitt. He did not car so much for the mitt but he loved the ball he would always ask his mom or dad to through the ball for him and play catch but with his dad being in the military he normally didn’t have anyone to play with so he...more
Jim
Jim Morris, a 35 year old high school baseball coach who washed out of minor league baseball years before, was offered a deal by his team: If they won the league championship—something that seemed improbable at the time—he would try out for a major league team. Of course the team won the league championship and he went to a major league tryout where he impressed the scouts. He signed a minor league professional contract with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays and before the season was over was called up t...more
David
quick read about a guy who finally made the major leagues at 35 as a relief pitcher, after being out of the game for 10 years or so. The kids on h.s. baseball team he was coaching made him promise to try out one more time if they won championship - they did, and one thing led to another.

I remember this story vaguely from press coverage in late '90's but thought it had been some sort of miracle, like he was discovered skipping stones in Lake Needwood by an off-duty baseball scout. He'd actually b...more
Audra Marvin
I bought this book a few days ago while perusing Half Price Books for the book I REALLY wanted, which was R.A. Dickey's. They didn't have it, but I went ahead and paid for this one anyway. After all, it's baseball, and I already knew I loved the story, or at least the story the movie tells. I figured it would be a quick, harmless read, and I hoped I would enjoy it.

As it turns out, there is a reason the movie starts the story line where the book ends. Seriously. The entire plot of the movie is ba...more
Wayne
Non-Fiction
The story of a 35 year old man who has always dreamed of playing major league baseball. He is the coach of a high school baseball team in Texas. They make a bet that if the team wins the league championship he will try out for a major league team. His pitches are recorded in the 98 MPH range and he gets signed to play major league baseball becoming the youngest rookie in 30 years.
The best parts of this book were made into a movie starring Dennis Quaid called The Rookie. The movie chan...more
Craig
The book was quite different than the movie. I love the movie, as the story resonated well with me. I always wanted to be a pro baseball player, and seeing Jimmy Morris pursue and accomplish his dream was powerfully inspiring to me. The book was also great, though I probably like the romanticized version of the story told in the movie better.

The book dives a lot more into the psyche of Morris, and you get to see first hand is inner demons. The book does a great job of depicting the real life gr...more
Andrew Toy
I am sure many of you have seen the Disney movie The Rookie, starring Dennis Quaid. If not, stop reading this post, get on over to Netflix and order it. After you watch it, you really ought to read the book, because it tells the story of Jimmy Morris’s life preceding the events in the movie (read a post about the movie here). He wasn’t always as gentle as Quaid portrays him, though he does a great job reenacting his personality and easy-going demeanor. And it wasn’t as easy to get to play in the...more
AlixJamie
If you watch the movie "The Rookie", you only get a tiny bit of the story. If you read the book, you get it all. This sounds like an incredibly obvious statement, but you'll understand what it means if you read the book.
In the movie you get the idea that his family life wasn't so great, when you read the book, you find out it was worse - and why.
The movie gives you a tiny glimpse and basically no explanation. If you want the low-down, read this book.
I was also amazed at how well this book was...more
Jo Wilkinson
I'd seen the movie first and wanted to get the book too. It had inspirational parts but drug on a little.
Jason Bellamy
This was better than I was expecting. It is no Disney movie. It is the real life journey of Jim Morris. It was refreshing to hear, unedited version of his journey to the big leagues and that it is not always a Cinderella story, even after you make it there.
Donald Barnett
This was one of the most enjoyable reads I have had in a long time. This one was really hard to put down. I loved the movie "The Rookie" that was based on this book, but this is so much more. The life story of Jim Morris is covered in this autobiography.

Jim gives you a look into his internal and external struggles as well as his victories and defeats. If you love baseball you will love this. If you happen to be familiar with Brownwood, Texas you will really love it.
Jessica
Yet another "I would have liked this more had I not seen the movie first" book. In the book, Jim Morris tells much more about his entire life, not just the winning season as in the movie. You get a much bigger picture of what life was like for him as a child, in the early years of his marriage, and as he matured as a dad, husband, and baseball player.

I do love a good feel-good story though!
Tom Hames
A great book about a man who kept going after his dream. What I found interesting was that if it wasn't for his wife none of it would have happened. The old addage, "Behind every successful man is a good woman" certainly rings true in this case. She stood by him and encouraged him to go after his dream even when she knew it would cause her heartache and pain.
Lee
I really enjoyed reading this book about Jim Morris who was a baseball player who tried and tried and finally made it to the major leagues. There was a movie made about him called The Rookie and it is one I really enjoy, but the book had so much more information about his life. A really good feel good book.
Quinn Lavender
One of my alltime favorite movies (The Rookie) led me to read this book. Of course the book is more rooted in fact than Hollywood story telling. The story is still great but the most off-putting thing about it is that Jim Morris comes off as an extremely arrogant son-of-a-gun. I guess that's Dennis Quaid's fault.
Peter
This book was the basis for the Disney movie "The Rookie". I enjoyed this because it took the movie (which I loved) to a new level of realism and gave me the details that the movie had to leave out.

Read it if you want to know more about the man that followed his dreams.
Lindsay
I absolutely love this movie and the book is not a repeat. The book gives the story of Jim Morris prior what the movie shows. Very little is overlapping. A great read for baseball fans and people who love stories about dreams becoming reality.
woody
I liked this book so much that I have read it twice! Much better than the movie. A true story about Jim Morris and his making it to the major leagues.
Julie Bowerman
Significantly different from the Dennis Quaid movie, which began with the final 50 pages or so.
Dave
Read this for the July challenge - read a biography.
Christa
Christa marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
tHEY tOLD mE tHERE sTORIES The Great Train Robbery Unsolved Murders of the North The Great Train Robbery: A New History Rookie: The Incredible True Story of a Man Who Never Gave Up on His Dream