Start by marking “The Warrior Trainer (Stones of Destiny, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Warrior Trainer (Stones of Destiny, #1)

The Warrior Trainer (Stones of Destiny #1)

Scotia's duty is to protect the Stone of Destiny--the key to Scotland's salvation, and the reason she and the women who guarded the Stone before her had become the best warriors in the world. Yet those women had never met a man like Ian MacKinnon.

He's journeyed to her castle to learn her legendary skills so he can exact vengeance against the English. His viciousness on th
Published January 1st 2007 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about The Warrior Trainer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Warrior Trainer

Lori McD
3.5+ stars

I really liked this book, but the main characters go through such inner turmoil. At times, they both seem "stuck" in their heads... and so the book feels "stuck" at times, too.

The big reveal isn't such a big reveal - not if you're into mysteries. But it's still a great moment!

The training scenes are wonderful! I love that Scotia uses Strategy as one of her biggest weapons. And that she "reads" body language so well. Scotia reminds me of Xena: Warrior Princess, except that this Heroine
†Ðawn†
Kaila
Jun 02, 2016 Kaila rated it it was amazing
Now this is what I am talking about! A strong female character right here. When she says she wield a sword, she means it! I sorry but this is just exciting because whenever I read any books about a women who want to be a warrior or claims to be a fighter. They frankly just are not, because all those women still get captured and then are just admire for attempting to be brave. This does not happen in the Warrior Trainer! The main character actually gives a good beat down to those who challenge ...more
Laney
Jun 06, 2012 Laney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
From the moment I read the first paragraph of this book I was hooked. I was engulfed in the history of Scotland and the imagery of the rolling hills of green. I felt the compassion, drive, and determination in one's duty in both the lead characters. I yearned for them both and begged for them never to leave my side. I am looking forward to reading more from this author and becoming seduced by her words over and over again.
Liza
Feb 08, 2016 Liza rated it it was ok
2/3 of the way through the book, the typos began. Missing quotation marks and commas, 'here' instead of 'hear,' and one random period in the middle of a sentence (and not on purpose). Disappointing. Otherwise it was an ok read but nothing memorable about it.
Eastofoz
Feb 25, 2008 Eastofoz rated it really liked it
Shelves: medieval
Original story, great heroine and excellent hero who meets his match but is in no way wishy washy.
Carrie
Jul 12, 2009 Carrie rated it liked it
Not the most helpful manual on how to forge swords, fletch arrows and bake scones over open fires, but a wonderfully unrealistic combination of alternating (hey, whoah, we almost died) romance and near death battles, with a smidge of actual Scottish lore tossed in so the English guys riding about raiding would fit in.
Sara
Oct 03, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, highlander
Not bad for a $.99 pick up on Amazon. Interesting story idea, but the characters seemed rather inconsistent, often doing things that seemed out of character. Not bad for $.99, but I wouldn't pay more than that.
Lovelee
Aug 19, 2012 Lovelee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good Medieval romance about love and trust, destiny and honor. Scotia - strong, independent, smart, warrior trainer, protector of the Stone of Destiny. Ian - strong but humbled warrior, training for revenge against the Four Horsemen. I loved that Ian wasn't a boneheaded brute and pretty much accepted Scotia for who she was. The story had its moments but very minor (insecurities and misunderstandings grew a little thin), dragged in some areas (bit of rehashing stuff we already knew) but I loved ...more
Liz Masters
Jun 17, 2016 Liz Masters rated it liked it
I really enjoined the strong, fierce heroine and our male lead who both accept change. Their characterization throughout the book was well done in that I felt like they neither immediately embraced change too quickly or dive their heels in. The plot was somewhat original, except for maybe the villains. The ending was a bit too predictable in my opinion, and wasn't very believable. I liked that there was never the feeling of deus ex machina or a moment where I wanted to roll my eyes at the ...more
Peggy Bechko
Jul 16, 2012 Peggy Bechko rated it really liked it
Against all conventions, the Warrior Trainer is a woman with a destiny and obligations which must be kept. There seems little room for love in a warrior's life though her heritage demands she continue the lineage of Warrior Trainers and protector of the stone, but somehow Scotia finds her love, one worthy of her.

A great read. It's filled with action, adventure, some hints at mysticism and romance.
Petula
Jul 21, 2014 Petula rated it really liked it
4**** a good highland romance. Scoti (the heroine) is a very strong warrior who has buried all her femininity under a tough shell. Ian(the hero)needs to train with her to enable him to get revenge for the death of his brother. They are both lonely people who believe they must stay alone to achieve all they must. Lots of action some men being taught that brute strength is not always the answer. A good read with a difference.
Stacie
Jun 08, 2010 Stacie added it
Scotia is a woman who has been trained to teach warriors fighting techniques. She is also the protector of the seer stone for her country. The problem she has is that just about every male she meets wants to best her to prove that he is the best warrior in the land. Ian MacKinnon has been sent by his father to be trained by Scotia. Scotia is grateful when she realizes that he is there to learn not to best her in a fight.
Ashley Mayer
May 16, 2012 Ashley Mayer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medievel-romance
I loved this book! Scotia is a tough, independent, kick-butt warrior. Ian is a bent-on-revenge warrior that seeks the help of Scotia, the fabled Warrior Trainer. From the start there relationship is filled with sexual tension. Ian is the perfect man to break the icy chill surronding Scotia. This is a great story and I look forward to continuting the series!
Ali
Sep 10, 2014 Ali rated it it was amazing
I loved this! I loved the plot, the setting, the heroine, and the hero. its refreshing to read something with a very strong female protagonist and have her not be an idiot!! also, as someone else mentioned, the hero is not all wishy washy as they seem to be cast in romance novels. really well written and just awesome. I loved it.
Jeanne Johnston
Interesting to have a woman as the warrior trainer, but she and her initial pupil (and love interest) are annoyingly stuck in their presumed missions of revenge and neither one bothers to talk about it, so there's too much ignorance from assumption. Other than that, not bad.
Kathy
Jun 10, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing
This book was an EPIC romantic adventure! I fell in love with Scotia and Ian's story so beautifully woven into Scottish history and folklore! Excellent story if you love medieval historical romances!
Vivian
Sep 20, 2012 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-hist
Fun feisty read with mythic overtones and a nice use of the cult fascination with the Apocalypse at the time. Love the strong heroine and a strong hero who acknowledges his weakness and grows. Quick and entertaining read.
C.M. Mitchell
Jun 06, 2016 C.M. Mitchell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Read

This was an exciting tale of Scottish brawn and the strength and bravery of a Bonny lass. In the midst of warrior training and village massacre grew a prophetic and timeless love.

A romance based on both fact and fiction.
Nicole
Sep 06, 2012 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ended up skimming the last several pages, but I really liked the plot and characters. One twist I saw coming.
Dawn-Marie Warnick
Dawn-Marie Warnick rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Debra Tanks
Debra Tanks rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2015
maria g
maria g rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Victoria
Victoria rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Sheilapski
Sheilapski rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Teresa DLerma
Teresa DLerma rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Awesome
Awesome rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Jacqueline Young
Jacqueline Young rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Madiha Ansari
Madiha Ansari rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2015
  • Conquering Passion
  • Celtic Storms (Celtic Steel, #1)
  • A Knight's Temptation (Knight's, #3)
  • The Mistress of Trevelyan (Trevelyan #1)
  • Spring's Fury (The Graistan Chronicles, #3)
  • Much Ado About Marshals (Hearts of Owyhee, #1)
  • For Love And Honor
  • Unwilling (The MacLauchlans, #2)
  • The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)
  • Highland Barbarian (Highlander, #1)
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
  • Wild Hearts
  • Loved By a Warrior (The Warrior King, #2)
  • Twin Passions
Gerri Russell is the award-winning author of historical and contemporary novels including the Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars series and Flirting with Felicity. A two-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s Golden Heart Award and winner of the American Title II competition sponsored by RT Book Reviews magazine, she is best known for her adventurous and emotionally intense novels ...more
More about Gerri Russell...

Stones of Destiny (3 books)
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • Warrior's Lady (Stones of Destiny, #3)