Start by marking “Death in a Mood Indigo” as Want to Read:
Death in a Mood Indigo

Death in a Mood Indigo (Nantucket Mysteries #3)

When two children make a grisly discovery on Sconset beach, Detective Meredith Folger finds herself with a perplexing case on her hands. The crime lab can tell her only that the newly unearthed skeletal remains belonged to a woman who was strangled to death somewhere between two and ten years ago--a conclusion that sends Merry sifting through old missing-persons files. But ...more
Published May 4th 1998 by Bantam (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Death in a Mood Indigo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in a Mood Indigo

Ed
Sep 24, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Merry Folger series. Merry is hitting her professional stride as a detective on the Nantucket Island Police Department. The confidence that was budding in the earlier series entries is now in bloom. The same can not be said about her ability to commit to a permanent relationship with lover Peter Mason. Although Merry's family dates back to the 1670s on Nantucket, she is third generation law enforcement and Peter's family is of the landed gentry. The scenes with the children who discove ...more
Lisa
Sep 04, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd entry in the consistently well-crafted series by Francine Mathews. I've read the previous two and look forward to the fourth (and sadly, last?) one. This time around, the Nantucket PD are called upon when two children discover the bones of a woman who has been missing for years, with evidence pointing to foul play. When a young college student is murdered, the cases appear to be linked to a serial killer, drawing the attention of the FBI. At the same time, a man with an obsession ...more
Susan
Death in a Mood Indigo by Francine Mathews is the third book in the Nantucket Island mystery series. Police detective Meredith “Merry” Folger is an island girl – her family roots go back generations on Nantucket. Merry's father John is the current police chief, as was his father before him. Merry has a romantic relationship with Peter Mason, a wealthy island landowner originally from mainland Massachusetts, as well as close friendships with many islanders.

Two children playing on Sconset beach w
Karen S
Dec 06, 2015 Karen S rated it it was ok
The reviewer for the Cleveland Plain Dealer 'dares you to guess the killer'. From reading other reviews, I find I'm not the only one who did. Enjoyed reading about Nantucket, but found the book, in general a little long and draggy. Not a BAAAD read, but not great, either.
Sherrill
Mar 24, 2012 Sherrill rated it liked it
I have to admit I had finished everything I took to read in Mexico and ended up in the game room where I found this book. I usually don't care for murder mysteries as I like to learn something useful when I invest time in a book and, of course, I don't really want to learn how to murder. I will say this one was very well written and kept my interest. I figured who was the murderer early on but could not figure out his motivation or how he did it. He just seemed a little creepy and did not fit in ...more
Jillian
Loved it! I am a big fan of this author.
Rupert Brunder
Jul 23, 2012 Rupert Brunder rated it liked it
What can I say about this book? The author not too familiar to me but the book was a good read. At times it got a little boring especially in the development stage. At other times I just could not put it down. The author kinda gave out the killer between the lines, so I had already figured "who done" but I did like the story line and the suspense.

At first I thought this was a girly book so I was hiding the cover on the subway but I got over it... lol.
Terri
May 31, 2012 Terri rated it did not like it
Know the book is set in New England, don't understand why only one person speaks in a dialect...but I am also glad it's only one person. Writing in dialect makes difficult reading and it just seems pretensious to me. Once in a while with a 'spoken' word in a book is ok, but this is all this character speaks, and it grows old very quickly.
Alisonpaddock
Aug 04, 2010 Alisonpaddock rated it really liked it
Francine Mathews wrote the wonderful Jane Austin-as-dectective stories under the name of Stephanie Barron. Here she writes about modern day Nantucket. Another book filled with sea spray and fresh fish. This murder mystery is set amongst the art world, developers, and the founding families of Nantucket. A cold case that heats up an island spring.
Gayle
Jun 14, 2010 Gayle rated it liked it
This was pretty interesting, but for some reason I found it disconcerting that it was set in the US, but written like an English mystery. The phrasing of the sentences, the vocabulary, etc., all sounded very English. Oh and the detective was oddley very put off by death...
Shirley
Sep 20, 2011 Shirley rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Liked this Francine Mathews better than others I have read--perhaps getting into her character more. Descriptions of life on Nantucket add a lot to the book. Because I had read a later book of her first, I recognized where the plot was going, but still a good read.
Jenn
Jun 19, 2010 Jenn rated it did not like it
So. Boring. Took forever to get into the story, then it drags on and on with just filler-- nothing is added to the 'mystery'. Plus, the heroine is full of contradictions in her personality. I doubt I'll be reading an more from this author.
False Millennium
I've now finished and read all of Stephanie Baron/Francine Mathew's works. This was nice enough. I could see where if Merry Folger doesn't evolve with the series she could become as irritating as Stephanie Plum.
Judy
Jun 10, 2012 Judy rated it liked it
Entertaining mystery series that takes place on Nantucket. I like the heroine, and the author creates the island atmosphere and characters very well.
Dgoll
Feb 05, 2013 Dgoll rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Great Nantucket mystery.
Quesarasara
Quesarasara marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2016
Tehila
Tehila marked it as to-read
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Mallory Heart Recommends
Mallory Heart Recommends marked it as to-read
Lovey Dovey Books
Lovey Dovey Books marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Sep 19, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Brittany Nichelson
Brittany Nichelson marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Janet Senk
Janet Senk marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Onyx
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Francine Mathews was born in Binghamton, NY in 1963, the last of six girls. Her father was a retired general in the Air Force, her mother a beautiful woman who loved to dance. The family spent their summers on Cape Cod, where two of the Barron girls now live with their families; Francine's passion for Nantucket and the New England shoreline dates from her earliest memories. She grew up in Washingt ...more
More about Francine Mathews...

Nantucket Mysteries (4 books)
  • Death in the Off-Season: A Nantucket Island Mystery