Start by marking “"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty” as Want to Read:
"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty

"What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty

Discusses the mental and physical changes that take place during puberty.
Published August 1st 1989 by Carol Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about "What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about "What's Happening to Me?" A Guide to Puberty

Rachel
Jun 09, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preteens and their parents
This was a great book - the illustrations were hilarious. I read this book as an awkward preteen who was embarrassed about everything, but the humor of this book really helped me get through awkwardness of puberty. I'm sure some people would be offended by the frankness of the book, but it's not vulgar at all. And kids need to know about this stuff - and this book can help kids not take themselves so seriously.
Alisa
May 13, 2011 Alisa rated it did not like it
Thought this would be a great book to discuss puberty with my 10 year old, since I loved the authors book about where babies come from. TOTALLY disagreed with the authors on two pages about the big M word. I know everyone had different views on the subject, but the author's view that everyone does it so "let it make you feel good, not guilty" was DEFINITELY not for me and my children.
Lorissa
Aug 31, 2011 Lorissa rated it it was amazing
I remember this book clearly, almost to the page! It's been about 20 years since I read it....so it had an impact. Just after having "the talk", my parents gave me the book to consult if I had more questions. I studied every page, giggled over some of them with my cousins, and really got a lot of info from it.
Suzanne
Bought this for my son when he was that "age" and it became a topic immortalized in family lore. One of those "failed" parental moments. I thought it was good. The kids were mortified and still make fun of me for it. You can't win.
Kat
Mar 30, 2008 Kat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ehhhh
This made talking with my son so much easier. Oh, it just was a godsend. In a gentle and witty matter, it covers all the bases in a manner that any young adult will find reassuring.
Lauren
Aug 25, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
everything you want to know about Provence in one convenient location
Top Cat =^_^=
Jan 19, 2016 Top Cat =^_^= rated it liked it
This is very helpful with talking to your child about their body and what to expect.

Read the book first so you can choose what you want to read with them as it talks about the body as well as the hormones and feelings they may be feeling and how to manage that.

This book made my conversation with my child a lot easier than what I originally going to have with them. I highly recommend this book to parents that may be a bit nervous talking about this close and personal topic with their child/childr
Lauren
Jul 27, 2008 Lauren rated it liked it
Shelves: brain-books
This is a very funny book with great illustrations. I had this book as a kid. I remember my mother bought it for me, put it in the hall cupboard, and said she would leave it there should I ever have a question too embarrassing to ask. Needless to say, I was too embarrassed to ever take it out of the cupboard.
Katie
May 21, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My Mom bought this for me when I was a tween, and I loved it - it's funny, the illustration are great, and it explains puberty and your body's changes really well.

However, my sister & I both had the same experience when we bought this book for our sons - neither of them would read it! It's been sitting on my son's bookshelf for over a year - untouched! Maybe it's a boy thing?
Carline
Apr 09, 2016 Carline rated it did not like it
Horrible book. Maybe when it came out in 1975 it was useful but the language and content intended for preadolescent boys today is simply useless. I pretty much shock my head the entire time I was reading it. It is obvious a man wrote it. I wouldn't have my son or daughter read this.
Ruskanen
Jun 27, 2014 Ruskanen rated it liked it
This morning, somewhere between sleep and wake my mind was remembering this book. I believe it was provided to my older brother and me in lieu of "the talk". Remember the funny cartoons, photos and graphics of not only this book, but its prequel "Where Did I Come From?" makes me giggle.
Dec 28, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
I pored over these pictures when I was a kid. I think I did find it very helpful to have this around when I was growing up. As with "Where Did I Come From?" I think this is a great starting point for parents to have a discussion about sex and puberty.
Jennifer Wells
Aug 09, 2007 Jennifer Wells rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All pre-teens
Without this indispensable guide, I would have been lost through my puberty. My poor Mom was never consulted after the bra incident and no one else wanted to talk about what was happening.
Helen
Jul 01, 2008 Helen rated it liked it
Not as good as Where Did I Come From but still helpful. By the time I read this I already knew all the info inside though.
Aimee
Jun 23, 2009 Aimee rated it liked it
This was my parents idea of our book about the birds and the bees. makes me laugh to think about it to this day
Johnson Peabody
Nov 12, 2013 Johnson Peabody rated it it was amazing
I gave this book to my 5 year old son and he LOVED it. It's so informative and teaches the young ones so much.
Karen L.
Feb 29, 2008 Karen L. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Boys age 12
Shelves: homeschool
This book is good for explaining puberty to boys in a decent way, with humor. It also explains the act of sex in a tasteful, yet funny way.
Cinders737
Jan 06, 2015 Cinders737 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great no-nonsense, lighthearted and informative book targeted at pre-pubescent kids. Great for parents too!
Ray
Aug 09, 2016 Ray rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Another good book for the age frame of which it is targeted and was given. Could open up dialog between parents and their kids with such a touchy subject.
Tracey Barrett
Tracey Barrett rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2013
Eithne
Eithne rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Ann
Ann rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2010
Ashley
Aug 05, 2009 Ashley rated it liked it
Instead of having "the talk" I got a book! Good times! SIKE.
Teresa
Teresa rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2009
Adriana Scarpin
Adriana Scarpin rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2016
Lorenna
Lorenna rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2014
Vlad
Vlad rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
AnnaLethicia
AnnaLethicia rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • It's So Amazing!: A Book about Eggs, Sperm, Birth, Babies, and Families
  • What's the Big Secret?: Talking about Sex with Girls and Boys
  • What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents and Daughters
  • Mommy Laid An Egg: Or, Where Do Babies Come From?
  • The Ocean World (Abradale)
  • Keats's Neighborhood: An Ezra Jack Keats Treasury
  • The Kids' Book of Questions
  • Born with a Bang: The Universe Tells Our Cosmic Story
  • You've Got Dragons
  • The Disappearing Girl: Learning the Language of Teenage Depression
  • The Stars: A New Way to See Them
  • Extreme Animals: The Toughest Creatures on Earth
  • Food Chaining: The Proven 6-Step Plan to Stop Picky Eating, Solve Feeding Problems, and Expand Your Child's Diet
  • The Big Book for Peace
  • When the Wind Stops
  • Anno's Magic Seeds
  • Toot & Puddle: A Present for Toot
  • Dude, That's Rude! (Get Some Manners)
19316
Peter Mayle (born June 14, 1939 in Brighton) is a British author famous for his series of books detailing life in Provence, France. He spent fifteen years in advertising before leaving the business in 1975 to write educational books, including a series on sex education for children and young people. In 1989, A Year in Provence was published and became an international bestseller. His books have ...more
More about Peter Mayle...