How to Break an Egg: 1,453 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions, and Handy Techniques

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Need a cool way to handle hot chiles? Looking to cut down on kitchen clean-up? Let the readers, contributors, and editors of "Fine Cooking" magazine show you the way. "How to Break an Egg" is a one-of-a-kind resource of more than 1,400 kitchen-tested tips, shortcuts, and ingenious solutions to culinary emergencies, all organized in an easy-to-access format for quick refere...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Taunton Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How to Break an Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Break an Egg

^
Sep 29, 2012 ^ rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks and anthropologists
This book will be of interest to sociologists and anthropologists as well as cooks, dealing as it does with over 1,400 insights into the lives of the everyday job / chore (depending on your point of view) of cooking. I started at the beginning and read this volume as a book, tip by tip, page by page, every so often taking a few days / weeks off.

What I have learnt is not so much a mine of hints, tips, and ideas to make cooking easier and more successful, but more of an appreciation that in the ev...more
Lablover
This is an excellent resource when you have an emergency. If you are missing a crucial ingredient you can find an acceptable substitute. Or if something is going wrong with a recipe, this book can help you remedy the problem. In addition I have learned some tricks on how to avoid some problems and make things easier when cooking. It is a great book for anyone who likes to cook, you don't have to be a gourmet to utilize this one!
Douglas Larson
This isn't the kind of book that one necessarily reads cover to cover. Its a collection of tips, techniques and handy kitchen wisdom. I read several of the articles, which were well written and offered insights into their respective topic.

I already returned this to the library but I may get it again if there are other topics I want to learn about or skills to hone.

Mary
Feb 08, 2010 Mary added it
Lots of good tips and tricks. Although I think the title is kind of silly, for two reasons. One, who doesn't know how to break an egg? Even the whole one-hand breaking thing is just practice, right? Second, and mostly, of all the tips in here, none related to breaking an egg. But I guess "How to Clarify Butter" just doesn't sound as good.
Tara
This is a good reference to have around. I think you will find, depending on your experience, things that you know and some that are new. I found the part on choosing fruit to be useful. I have plenty of experience with baking, so most of that is old hat. I would recomend this book for novice and intermediate cooks.
Connie
This was a book seriously filled with tip, after tip, after tip. The book has an index to it which is really nice. If you can't remember the tip having to do with eggs, you can look in the back under "eggs".
Kim Potvin
Not intended for bedtime reading unless you are obsessed with troubleshooting in the kitchen like me. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys cooking and/or baking and is always looking to improve their technique.
Mel
This would be a great gift for anyone who cooks. It is a great reference book to have around. After checking it out at the library, I knew I had to own a copy.
Anthrodiva Stommen
Jan 25, 2008 Anthrodiva Stommen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Cooks
Shelves: cookery
Another absolute must for the kitchen of anybody who cooks on a regular basis. It is simply the best reference book on actual cooking I have come across.
Mell
Good reference book for kitchen tips and shortcuts. I don't read many cookbooks cover to cover, but I did read this one!
Elisabeth
Answers every question I have. Now, if it could give me a hug like my Mom I'd be all set.
Pghgranola
Lots of interesting kitchen tips. Too many to remember; may have to buy the book.
Marian
Sep 24, 2008 Marian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all foodies
Super all inclusive tip book, read it cover to cover---Marian
Chris Tice
No boring long-winded crap, just straight tips. Unbelievable!
Brittany
May 10, 2009 Brittany added it
Shelves: cook-books
This is so useful and kind of interesting.
Mandy Sue
Lots of good tips and tricks for the kitchen.
Michael Huynh
Apr 14, 2008 Michael Huynh rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anybody that likes eggs. ;-)
Recommended to Michael by: myself. Because I like eggs.
I like eggs. :-)
Crystal Bulges
Crystal Bulges marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Leah Kirkpatrick
Leah Kirkpatrick marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Paul
Paul marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Ben Worth
Ben Worth marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Audrey Van Dyne
Audrey Van Dyne marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Jeremy
Jeremy marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
January
January marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Fine Cooking Cakes & Cupcakes: 100 Best Ever Recipes Fine Cooking Comfort Food: 200 Delicious Recipes for Soul-Warming Meals Fine Cooking Thanksgiving Cookbook: Recipes for Turkey and All the Trimmings Cooking New American: How to Cook the Food You Really Love to Eat Fine Cooking Cookies: 200 Favorite Recipes for Cookies, Brownies, Bars & More