Start by marking “How to Break an Egg: 1,453 Kitchen Tips, Food Fixes, Emergency Substitutions, and Handy Techniques” as Want to Read:

Need a cool way to handle hot chiles? Looking to cut down on kitchen clean-up? Let the readers, contributors, and editors of "Fine Cooking" magazine show you the way. "How to Break an Egg" is a one-of-a-kind resource of more than 1,400 kitchen-tested tips, shortcuts, and ingenious solutions to culinary emergencies, all organized in an easy-to-access format for quick refere ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Taunton Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about How to Break an Egg, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Break an Egg

^
Sep 29, 2012 ^ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cooks and anthropologists
This book will be of interest to sociologists and anthropologists as well as cooks, dealing as it does with over 1,400 insights into the lives of the everyday job / chore (depending on your point of view) of cooking. I started at the beginning and read this volume as a book, tip by tip, page by page, every so often taking a few days / weeks off.

What I have learnt is not so much a mine of hints, tips, and ideas to make cooking easier and more successful, but more of an appreciation that in the ev
Andrea James
Mar 14, 2016 Andrea James rated it really liked it
It has a number of decent tips and it's also good to be reminded of tips/tricks that we've heard before (or even tried) and forgotten about.

For instance:
1) Boiling a cup of water in the microwave before cleaning the microwave - the steam from the hot water loosens the cooked-on splatters, And likewise "steam-cleaning" Pyrex dishes in a similar way

2) Calcium and sugar hinder pectin conversion, that's why Boston beans which have molasses added can cook for hours without turning into mush. And cook
Lablover
May 10, 2012 Lablover rated it really liked it
Shelves: fav-non-fiction
This is an excellent resource when you have an emergency. If you are missing a crucial ingredient you can find an acceptable substitute. Or if something is going wrong with a recipe, this book can help you remedy the problem. In addition I have learned some tricks on how to avoid some problems and make things easier when cooking. It is a great book for anyone who likes to cook, you don't have to be a gourmet to utilize this one!
Douglas Larson
Apr 05, 2013 Douglas Larson rated it liked it
This isn't the kind of book that one necessarily reads cover to cover. Its a collection of tips, techniques and handy kitchen wisdom. I read several of the articles, which were well written and offered insights into their respective topic.

I already returned this to the library but I may get it again if there are other topics I want to learn about or skills to hone.

Mary
Jan 25, 2010 Mary added it
Lots of good tips and tricks. Although I think the title is kind of silly, for two reasons. One, who doesn't know how to break an egg? Even the whole one-hand breaking thing is just practice, right? Second, and mostly, of all the tips in here, none related to breaking an egg. But I guess "How to Clarify Butter" just doesn't sound as good.
Tara
Jul 23, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it
This is a good reference to have around. I think you will find, depending on your experience, things that you know and some that are new. I found the part on choosing fruit to be useful. I have plenty of experience with baking, so most of that is old hat. I would recomend this book for novice and intermediate cooks.
Connie
Feb 22, 2011 Connie rated it liked it
This was a book seriously filled with tip, after tip, after tip. The book has an index to it which is really nice. If you can't remember the tip having to do with eggs, you can look in the back under "eggs".
Kim Potvin
Mar 15, 2009 Kim Potvin rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Not intended for bedtime reading unless you are obsessed with troubleshooting in the kitchen like me. I recommend it for anyone who enjoys cooking and/or baking and is always looking to improve their technique.
Elisabeth
Mar 11, 2008 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Answers every question I have. Now, if it could give me a hug like my Mom I'd be all set.
Mel
Dec 26, 2011 Mel rated it it was amazing
This would be a great gift for anyone who cooks. It is a great reference book to have around. After checking it out at the library, I knew I had to own a copy.
Susan Mazur Stommen
Jan 25, 2008 Susan Mazur Stommen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Cooks
Shelves: cookery
Another absolute must for the kitchen of anybody who cooks on a regular basis. It is simply the best reference book on actual cooking I have come across.
Mell
Sep 23, 2008 Mell rated it really liked it
Good reference book for kitchen tips and shortcuts. I don't read many cookbooks cover to cover, but I did read this one!
Debby
Debby rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2009
Lynda
Lynda rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2009
brianna othin
brianna othin rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2017
Austin Lewis
Austin Lewis rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Emily Hess
Emily Hess rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Eliste
Eliste rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2014
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2008
Kit Swindle
Kit Swindle rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2008
Kendra
Kendra rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Kelcie
Kelcie rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2016
Janice J Minor
Janice J Minor rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Kathy Lonquist
Kathy Lonquist rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2009
bud goodwin
bud goodwin rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2017
Clie Trino
Clie Trino rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Aisa
Aisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2010
Derrick
Derrick rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2013
Edward
Edward rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Food Substitutions Bible: More than 6,500 Substitutions for Ingredients, Equipment & Techniques
  • Perfect Recipes for Having People Over
  • The Best Recipe
  • Simple to Spectacular: How to Take One Basic Recipe to Four Levels of Sophistication
  • The Improvisational Cook
  • Radically Simple: Brilliant Flavors with Breathtaking Ease: 325 Inspiring Recipes from Award-Winning Chef Rozanne Gold
  • Meat: A Kitchen Education
  • More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives: A Drop-Top Culinary Cruise Through America's Finest and Funkiest Joints
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Good Meat: The Complete Guide to Sourcing and Cooking Sustainable Meat
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • The Frankies Spuntino Kitchen Companion & Cooking Manual
  • Classic Home Desserts: A Treasury of Heirloom and Contemporary Recipes from Around the World
  • The New Making of a Cook: The Art, Techniques, and Science of Good Cooking