Start by marking “The Universe Between” as Want to Read:
The Universe Between

The Universe Between

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  103 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Issued in two bindings: boards with a dustjacket and illustrated boards (Library binding); there was also a Book Club edition. See individual listing for specific format. This is a novel-length expansion of two previously published stories, "High Threshold" and "The Universe Between" from 1951.
Published January 1st 1965 by David McKay (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Universe Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Universe Between

Bart Everson
Oct 15, 2010 Bart Everson rated it really liked it
Shelves: aloud
A sentimental favorite from my childhood. The story concerns the discovery of another dimension, another universe right next door to ours. It's mind-bending stuff, especially for a grade schooler.
Kathy  Petersen
Here's another book from my distant past (circa 1951), and I am pleased to record that it has held up very well.

Tangentially I must protest the description of The Universe Between as given on the Goodreads site. While not totally incorrect, that blurb offers a distinctly wrong impression of the story.
Debbie
Dr. John McEvoy has made a discovery. But he doesn't really know what his discovery is. It is a box. But it's not a box. He bounces in several tennis balls which bounce back out the other side. One of them comes back inside out, but with no marks on the ball suggesting any method by which that happened. Several pencils were pushed through. One came back with a wood core and a thin graphite covering.

McEvoy has also had men volunteer to go in. All come back either insane or in a coma. What are the
***Dave Hill
Mar 20, 2014 ***Dave Hill rated it liked it
Shelves: text
Dr Alan Nourse didn't write much sf -- though he had a prolific career writing non-fiction, esp. with a medical bent -- but what he did was solidly plotted and exciting. Most of his fiction is out of print now, sadly, but it stands up well with the contemporary works by Del Rey, Bova, Norton and Asimov.

This is a collection of ten short stories.
Mysteryfan
one of the two books that hooked me on science fiction, the other bring Andre Norton's Star Rangers. The young me thought it was so adventurous and the concepts were amazing. A fond memory.
John
Mar 08, 2015 John rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
1980 grade B
Rachael
Mar 18, 2016 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Not what I was expecting. And oh my gosh, that last-page twist.
Nicole
Oct 23, 2008 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Bob Benedict is one of the few scientists able to make contact with the invisible, dangerous world of The Thresholders and return-sane! For years he has tried to transport-and receive-matter by transmitting it through the mysterious parallel Threshold. At first his efforts met only with failure and madness. But now The Thresholders have risen in fury.
Keith Davis
Alan Nourse is best remembered now as the medical columnist for Good Housekeeping, but he also wrote a number of excellent YA science fiction novels. This one involves scientists piercing a threshold barrier into another reality and experiencing the horror of the incomprehensible other world.
Mike
Jul 29, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it
This is an interesting book that I read once as a teenager and then again as an adult. This book is about a teenager who learns to move between dimensions. And learns to cope with the huge differences between them.
Keith
Aug 17, 2012 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I really loved the idea of getting from "here" to "there" by hanging a right angle to the 3rd dimension... back in 1967. Today that's the only thing I remember about the book. If I ever find it, I must read it again!
Carter Merkle
Sep 19, 2011 Carter Merkle rated it really liked it
It is a pretty simple book, but for a teenage boy amazed at the mysteries of science and beyond, it is intriguing.
Dreamer
Apr 11, 2012 Dreamer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Read when I was 14 in 1972 according to my diary, loved this author..
Keith
Danette Moreno keith
Oct 24, 2013 Danette Moreno keith rated it really liked it
Interesting!
Dennis Hearon
Dennis Hearon rated it liked it
May 20, 2016
Martin Paul
Martin Paul marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Rebekah Grace
Rebekah Grace rated it did not like it
Apr 26, 2016
Cathy Earle
Cathy Earle rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2016
Beth Hudson
Beth Hudson rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Brandon Jackson
Brandon Jackson marked it as to-read
Richard Thomson
Richard Thomson is currently reading it
Joan Watson
Joan Watson is currently reading it
Alexander MacDonald
Alexander MacDonald is currently reading it
Gavin Nolan
Gavin Nolan marked it as to-read
Steven Rampling
Steven Rampling is currently reading it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Alan Edward Nourse was an American science fiction (SF) author and physician. He also wrote under the name Dr. X
He wrote both juvenile and adult science fiction, as well as nonfiction works about medicine and science.
Alan Nourse was born to Benjamin and Grace (Ogg) Nourse. He attended high school in Long Island, New York. He served in the U.S. Navy after World War II. He earned a Bachelor of Sci
More about Alan E. Nourse...