Start by marking “The Universe Between” as Want to Read:
The Universe Between

The Universe Between

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Issued in two bindings: boards with a dustjacket and illustrated boards (Library binding); there was also a Book Club edition. See individual listing for specific format. This is a novel-length expansion of two previously published stories, "High Threshold" and "The Universe Between" from 1951.
Published January 1st 1965 by David McKay (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about The Universe Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Universe Between

Kathleen Dixon
This book's origins are from 2 stories published in Astounding Science
Fiction
and copyrighted in 1951. The author then collated the 2 and this book was published in 1965. It's a product of its time. Things we now take for granted, i.e. all that our sci-fi reading of the last 60 years, and the smattering of physics that we (most of us) have, make this seem somewhat pedantic at times. But we must remember that the science the authors fiddled with was radical back then. This is where a little know...more
Kathy  Petersen
Here's another book from my distant past (circa 1951), and I am pleased to record that it has held up very well.

Tangentially I must protest the description of The Universe Between as given on the Goodreads site. While not totally incorrect, that blurb offers a distinctly wrong impression of the story.
Bart Everson
A sentimental favorite from my childhood. The story concerns the discovery of another dimension, another universe right next door to ours. It's mind-bending stuff, especially for a grade schooler.
Debbie
Dr. John McEvoy has made a discovery. But he doesn't really know what his discovery is. It is a box. But it's not a box. He bounces in several tennis balls which bounce back out the other side. One of them comes back inside out, but with no marks on the ball suggesting any method by which that happened. Several pencils were pushed through. One came back with a wood core and a thin graphite covering.

McEvoy has also had men volunteer to go in. All come back either insane or in a coma. What are the...more
***Dave Hill
Dr Alan Nourse didn't write much sf -- though he had a prolific career writing non-fiction, esp. with a medical bent -- but what he did was solidly plotted and exciting. Most of his fiction is out of print now, sadly, but it stands up well with the contemporary works by Del Rey, Bova, Norton and Asimov.

This is a collection of ten short stories.
Mysteryfan
one of the two books that hooked me on science fiction, the other bring Andre Norton's Star Rangers. The young me thought it was so adventurous and the concepts were amazing. A fond memory.
Nicole
Bob Benedict is one of the few scientists able to make contact with the invisible, dangerous world of The Thresholders and return-sane! For years he has tried to transport-and receive-matter by transmitting it through the mysterious parallel Threshold. At first his efforts met only with failure and madness. But now The Thresholders have risen in fury.
Keith Davis
Alan Nourse is best remembered now as the medical columnist for Good Housekeeping, but he also wrote a number of excellent YA science fiction novels. This one involves scientists piercing a threshold barrier into another reality and experiencing the horror of the incomprehensible other world.
Mike
This is an interesting book that I read once as a teenager and then again as an adult. This book is about a teenager who learns to move between dimensions. And learns to cope with the huge differences between them.
Keith
I really loved the idea of getting from "here" to "there" by hanging a right angle to the 3rd dimension... back in 1967. Today that's the only thing I remember about the book. If I ever find it, I must read it again!
Carter Merkle
It is a pretty simple book, but for a teenage boy amazed at the mysteries of science and beyond, it is intriguing.
Dreamer
Read when I was 14 in 1972 according to my diary, loved this author..
Keith
Aniversary Vacation/To Japan Again
Michael
Terrific preteen lit.
Chris Knight
Chris Knight marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Bodhi
Bodhi marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Craig
Craig added it
Jun 25, 2014
Patrick Higgins
Patrick Higgins marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Charlie Kilian
Charlie Kilian marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Claire Fun
Claire Fun marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Jim Black
Jim Black marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alan Edward Nourse was an American science fiction (SF) author and physician. He also wrote under the name Dr. X
He wrote both juvenile and adult science fiction, as well as nonfiction works about medicine and science.
Alan Nourse was born to Benjamin and Grace (Ogg) Nourse. He attended high school in Long Island, New York. He served in the U.S. Navy after World War II. He earned a Bachelor of Sci...more
More about Alan E. Nourse...
Star Surgeon The Bladerunner Raiders from the Rings The Counterfeit Man and Other Science Fiction Stories Tiger by the Tail