Start by marking “Steel Guitar” as Want to Read:
Steel Guitar

Steel Guitar (Carlotta Carlyle #4)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  784 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Carlotta Carlyle and Dee Willis once sang in harmony.Now Dee has a skyrocketing music career, while Carlotta drives a cab, dates a mafia scion, and looks for missing persons in Boston.But the miles they've traveled can't change what they once had, or keep it from coming back to haunt them.

Dee wants Carlotta to find the man who once worked magic with a guitar, but now dabbl
Published February 28th 1997 by Dell (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Steel Guitar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steel Guitar

Kristen
In Linda Barnes's Steel Guitar, this cool fast-paced mystery will leave you singing the blues. Meet Carlotta Carlyle. A former Boston cop turned PI who drove a hack for her side business. When she went to pick up her latest customer, it was a blast of the past. Dee Willis was a R&B singer with a band and a former foe of Carlotta. It all started with a crash of a mad mob at the park, when Carlotta's purse had gotten stolen from her. From there, it went downhill from there, when Dee asked her ...more
Gail
I am reading my way through the Carlotta Carlyle mysteries this summer. I listened to this on audio and am glad I did. The case is about the music industry and the narrator sings during the audio book. This added a lot to my enjoyment. The story takes place in the 80's but other than the lack of cell phones the story isn't that dated. Each book gives a little more history on the main character Carlotta and her co-stars, Paolina, Roz, Mooney, Sam, and Gloria. This one is my favorite so far of the ...more
Tom
A solid and enjoyable entry in the Carlotta Carlyele series that brings Carlotta's past into play. We finally meet her ex-husband Cal (now clean and sober) her former friend and band mate Dee (a singer on the cusp of the big time and the one who took Cal away) and Davey the friend and ex-band mate who may or may not be trying to blackmail Dee.
The book is a "consequences" story. The sins of the suicide of their friend Lorraine years earlier have come back to haunt them. Most of the book plays ou
Spuddie
#4 Carlotta Carlyle mystery set in Boston, MA. Carlotta, a private investigator who drives cab to fill in the monetary gap, picks up a fare she recognizes--Dee Willis, a blues singer/guitarist who has increasingly gained fame and fortune over the years. The same Dee Willis whom Carlotta used to play with in a blues band. The same Dee Willis who stole Carlotta's husband Cal, now ex.

Carlotta saves Dee from a bunch of hungry hobos who attack when Dee begins waving money around looking for 'one of
LJ
Steel Guitar - VG
Barnes, Linda - 4th in series

Hired to find a guitar-playing blackmailer who claims to have authored three of rock star Dee Willis' songs, Carlotta Carlyle searches Boston's backwaters and finds a trail of corruption heading in a surprising direction.

Very enjoyable.
Ryan Mishap
I hate it when mystery characters get a Thing, you know, like blues guitar music here, or Bosch's jazz fetish.Rather than make them seem more like really people, the Thing stands out as an obvious gimmick. Learn to integrate Things without drawing attention to them.
Loie
Murder, blackmail and drugs in the music world. Surprised? Carlotta's old friend Dee has become a famous singer and is being blackmailed by another old friend. There is a murder, money laundering and an old lover. Not a particularly good book but it is ok.
Joe O'c
Excellent; Continuing Character: Carlotta Carlyle; her former blues playing friends, including her ex-husband and a now famous artist, show up to complicate Carlotta's life - then a murder needs to be solved.
Tara Russell
I've read most of the Carlotta Carlyle books but I'd missed this one somewhere along the line. One of the stronger books of the series with plenty of carlotta's history revealed.
Jeanette
I like Linda Barnes Carlotta Carlyle better than Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone. Carlotta seems to grow as a person as I read the series, unlike Kinsey. Will read more of the series.
Bevjirwin
i like this author-this is the second book of hers I've read. tonight I'll start the next one. good writing,fast paced,just a good read-the kind i turn to in between heavier stuff
Jim
I liked this installment of the Carlyle series. Good characters and Barnes knows how to keep the reader interested.
Debdanz
i like this series, too- mysteries set in boston- female PI who drives a cab.
Katie
part of the great quick fun reads of women detectives
Melodie
The first I read in this series, and still my favorite!
Jane
A fun mystery read by an entertaining author.
Sandi
a carlotta carlyle mystery; another bon bon
Tina Grile
Liked characters a lot. Good storyline.
Ruth
i am really enjoying this series
Lisa
TLove
TLove added it
Dec 12, 2014
Mrs.soule
Mrs.soule marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
  • Ask the Cards a Question (Sharon McCone, #2)
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • Tunnel Vision (V.I. Warshawski, #8)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...
A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1) The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9) The Perfect Ghost The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2) Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)

“If life can end in one minute - so damn quickly with no damn warning - you better do what you want to do now right this minute. Because your next minute might not happen.” 4 likes