Start by marking “A Bad Spell in Yurt (Daimbert #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bad Spell in Yurt (Daimbert #1)

A Bad Spell in Yurt (Daimbert #1)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  601 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The tiny kingdom of Yurt is the perfect place--or so it seems--for someone who barely managed to graduate from the wizards' school, especially after all that embarrassment with the frogs. But Daimbert, newly hired Royal Wizard of Yurt, senses an evil spell at work. But who could be responsible? The beautiful young queen? Her flighty aunt? The dour chaplain? The old, retire ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 314 pages
Published August 1991 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Spell in Yurt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Spell in Yurt

Evgeny
Jan 06, 2014 Evgeny rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Daimbert just graduated from wizard's school - barely, thanks to an incident with the frogs which was mentioned quite a few times, but we never learn any details about it. He accepts a job offer from a small kingdom of Yurt where the former Royal Wizard recently retired. The people of the kingdom seems to be friendly (including the king and the Queen), or not outright hostile in the worst cases, but Daimbert was good enough a Wizard to feel evil forces in the all over the place. He must find who ...more
Sbuchler
Sep 03, 2009 Sbuchler rated it it was amazing
Genre: Fantasy

This is a comfort read for me. It's pretty much a light-hearted standard fantasy - our hero, Daimbert, is a newly graduated Wizard (who graduated by the skin of his teeth, according to himself)whose taking his first post as Royal Wizard in the post-card perfect Kingdom of Yurt. It all starts out looking charming and sweet - but why did his predecessor and the previous Chaplin have such long standing enmity? Did that Chaplin die in suspicious circumstances? What is the spell that se
Kris Larson
Jun 15, 2009 Kris Larson rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a six-book series of books about a hapless (and poorly dressed) wizard named Daimbert. They're filled with the kind of cocoa humor that makes you warm and cotton-headed rather than making you laugh. There's nothing in here to shake you out of your quiet evening: just a pleasant little kingdom, filled with nice folks and innocuous mystery plots, where you can snuggle into Daimbert's cozy study with roses climbing over the window and a fire crackling in the hearth. I like this ...more
Mike
Jul 15, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle, comedy
A friend put me onto this one when we were talking about magical telephones (as you do). She said it was funny and a good read, so I gave it a shot.

She was right. It also has a protagonist who starts out as a slacker and a poser, but turns out overall to be a decent, good-hearted person, a promising wizard, and a hero. It's because I liked the character that it gets the fourth star; it's pretty lightweight, overall, but I rate books based on how much I enjoy them.

Despite everything about it sig
Steven
Apr 23, 2015 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a decent book that could have been better had it tried to be more one thing or the other. In its attempt to be some of everything (religious, fantasy, mystery, humorous) it kind of fell flat for me. Not that I didn't enjoy it, but I could have enjoyed it much more.

The plot is different if not entirely unique. Daimbert has just graduated (barely) from Wizards' School and, in answering an ad in a newspaper, now finds himself the Royal Wizard of Yurt, tiny kingdom 150 miles away from the Ci
Beverly
Jan 24, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it
I didn't realize when I downloaded this freebie on my Kindle that it was an anniversary edition of what some consider a "cult classic". I thought the cover was a little cheesy but love stories about wizards and castles and thought--what the heck, it's free. I am so glad that I decided to read this. I really enjoyed this wonderful story about Daimbert, a newly "graduated" wizard (who dyes his hair to look older for his new job) who admits that he missed a few classes and is not really a great wiz ...more
Cheryl Landmark
Jan 25, 2012 Cheryl Landmark rated it liked it
This was a fun, enjoyable read for the most part...not spectacular fantasy but light-hearted with a touch of seriousness as well. In some places, the writing was a little clunky and wooden, but the story itself was okay.

The main character, Daimbert, was likeable enough--a bit of a slacker, self-centred and somewhat inept in his spell-casting, but he was honest enough to admit it himself. The addition of what we might consider modern technology, i.e. telephones and newspapers, was surprising but
Mike
Apr 02, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned
I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, buying this, with all the tepid reviews here on Goodreads. Happily, I enjoyed it.

ABSIY is comic fantasy, along the lines of Diana Wynne Jones or Robert Asprin. In it, a recent graduate of the wizard school applies for a job as the royal wizard of a tiny kingdom named Yurt...and he gets it. Unfortunately, he wasn't a terribly good student, so when he arrives at the royal castle to find sinister goings-on - the "bad spell" of the title - he doesn't rea
Deena
Mar 09, 2016 Deena rated it did not like it
Only got to page 27, but skimmed much of the rest.

I get that this was supposed to be silly in a fun way, but for me it was stupid in a stupid way.
Roy
May 31, 2015 Roy rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Solid workmanship fantasy. Rather in the mold of a story of a priest who is low on the order after graduating and gets a remote post. He learns on the job and learns to take the job seriously while solving mysteries and helping his parisioners. Except this is a wizard in the same situation.
The story moves along in its simple way keeping the interest up to a satisfying conclusion. Quite good and hard to get the "simple" formula going correctly.
The story is 3 stars because it doesn't strive to gr
Elizabeth
Dec 16, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
The book is more like a 2.5, but I round down (my idea being "well if I felt it deserved higher than I would go and actually give it a 3 wouldn't I").

The hero is bit dim, kind of bumbles about... in many ways, I saw myself in this protagonist, mainly because he's a recent graduate of your run of the mill wizard college, who is convinced he has forgotten everything he's learned and oh god what is he going to do with his new job, but turns out knows more than he thinks he does. I haven't experienc
kvon
Apr 21, 2014 kvon rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, re-read
Audio book has a pretty good voice, a bit weak on women's voices but good variety. Sometimes it's difficult to tell when Daimbert is thinking or talking out loud without the quotation marks. Nice job on the demon.

An old favorite, that has a lot of flaws that are mostly made up for by the interaction of the wizard and the priest. In a world where both magic and the supernatural are real, who will save the kingdom from the forces of evil?
Faith
Nov 28, 2015 Faith rated it really liked it
Lovely little medieval-ish fantasy. Lighthearted but still enjoyable. Shades of Terry Pratchett (though not quite as funny) and, actually, Bujold's Paladin of Souls (though it's not quite as serious or as beautiful). Although where Bujold made up her own religion, this book is particularly interesting for combining magic and wizards with real, actual Christianity.

Very pleasant to read, and I think I'll check out the sequels.
Jimmy Jones
Mar 29, 2015 Jimmy Jones rated it really liked it
An interesting, generally light-hearted " sword and sorcery" book. I found it entertaining and a fun read. A young wizard, a non-too-scholarly graduate of the Wizard School in the City, struggles as the newly chosen court wizard in the small kingdom of Yurt. Magic, religion, spells, demons, and myriad of strange people and events enliven the pages. Probably not a great literary masterpiece, but an enjoyable and easy romp.
Kathy
Apr 24, 2015 Kathy rated it it was ok
Poorly written and editted. Several grammar and spelling mistakes. I had to reread several sentences to make sure it was not me. It had a good story line, but it dragged on and on and on and on. Okay, you get my point.
The Royal Wizard, just out of school, was too naive, excited about his first job, and not very confident to realize what was going on at the castle.
J.J. Carroll
Mar 16, 2015 J.J. Carroll rated it really liked it
This was interesting, despite a dragon tearing up a castle, evil abroad and other strange happenings, this book felt a little like having afternoon tea with a very genteel aunt. It was sweet and comfortable and amusing, without ever feeling particularly exciting. A very curious experience for this reader, but very pleasant, relaxing reading.
Kevin
Mar 23, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
This was a humorous story about a mediocre young wizard and the people he meets on his first assignment. He becomes closest to the too-serious priest, has a crush on the beautiful queen, and finds an enemy in an evil spirit. The boy matures through all his trials in this book.
Andrea
Mar 31, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sf, audiobook
Charming story about a new grad from wizard school, Daimbert, who barely squeaked through his classes. What makes this different is the excellent characterization throughout the book, letting us watch as Daimbert muddles his way to competency and finally to mastery of his craft. Interesting plot, engaging characters, altogether a very entertaining book.
Brian White
Mar 27, 2015 Brian White rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. I like books like this because they allow me to lose myself in another world for a little while. This book is not serious literature but it definitely was a nice light-hearted romp. If you enjoy fantasy novels you should give this series a try.
Lynn Calvin
Mar 20, 2015 Lynn Calvin rated it really liked it
Basic fantasy. Not brilliant, but very competent. I had seen it floating around for years, and was thinking it was like a Piers Anthony. Some of it is a little dated, but a good quick read.
April
Mar 13, 2012 April rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This probably would have been more enjoyable if the main character hadn't been so dim. I don't require my heroes to be universal geniuses but seeing what is right in front of their noses shouldn't be too much to ask.

He also fell in love immediately, dithered around doing not much of anything and sort of backed himself into accidentally being the hero.

I probably would have forgiven all of this if the expected* humor ever materialized and if more of the characters were fleshed out a little better.
Carolyn Rose
Mar 28, 2016 Carolyn Rose rated it really liked it
Like the concept and the beginning a lot, but felt the religion angle was a little too heavy-handed.
Morandia
This was a fun book to listen to I like it enough to move on to the 2nd book in the series
Sinthu murali
I liked the book cover, upon seeing it .it showed the book has humour, it didn't fail me, liked the hero immediately, he is not our alpha male with dark aura about him,he is just ordinary man with limited knowledge and very scarce attention to lessons..,
He fumbles, make mistakes but at last he did the right thing when confronted by the evil force.
Boneist
Jun 24, 2016 Boneist rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this, even if our protagonist didn't really ring true as the whole incompetent wizard thing.
Izilen
Fun! Enjoyable! Not fantastic.
Maxine
May 17, 2015 Maxine rated it really liked it
An enjoyable light hearted read, set in an old fashioned fantasy world of magic, demons and dragons.
Timothy VanderWall
Apr 24, 2015 Timothy VanderWall rated it really liked it
I quick reading fun fantasy with a bit of mystery added. Enjoyed it.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, owned
Good read.
Sebastian Hole
Jul 16, 2015 Sebastian Hole rated it really liked it
It was ok.
  • The Wizardry Cursed (Wiz, #3)
  • The Prince of Ill Luck (Warhorse of Esdragon, #1)
  • Black Brillion
  • With a Single Spell (Ethshar, #2)
  • Dragon Companion (Dragon Companion, #1)
  • Silas and the Winterbottoms: The Body Thief
  • The Winter Letter
  • The Anubis Murders
  • Kendra Kandlestar and the Box of Whispers
  • Jesper Jinx (Jesper Jinx,#1)
  • Christopher Pepper and the Silver Soda
  • Thraxas and the Ice Dragon (Thraxas, #9)
  • Sacred Stories: Wisdom from World Religions
  • The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1-3)
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
  • Trolls in the Hamptons (Willow Tate #1)
  • Myth-Chief (Myth Adventures, #18)
  • The Duke of Uranium (Jak Jinnaka, #1)

Daimbert (6 books)
  • The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2)
  • Mage Quest (Daimbert, #3)
  • The Witch & the Cathedral (Daimbert, #4)
  • Daughter of Magic (Daimbert, #5)
  • Is This Apocalypse Necessary? (Daimbert, #6)