Start by marking “A Bad Spell in Yurt (Daimbert #1)” as Want to Read:
A Bad Spell in Yurt (Daimbert #1)

A Bad Spell in Yurt (Daimbert #1)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  22 reviews
The tiny kingdom of Yurt is the perfect place--or so it seems--for someone who barely managed to graduate from the wizards' school, especially after all that embarrassment with the frogs. But Daimbert, newly hired Royal Wizard of Yurt, senses an evil spell at work. But who could be responsible? The beautiful young queen? Her flighty aunt? The dour chaplain? The old, retire ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 314 pages
Published August 1991 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about A Bad Spell in Yurt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bad Spell in Yurt

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
Favorites of the Fantasy Book Club
451st out of 462 books — 902 voters
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah HarknessA Game of Thrones by George R.R. MartinA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'EngleA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessA Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett
Books That Start With the Word A
141st out of 211 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Evgeny
Daimbert just graduated from wizard's school - barely, thanks to an incident with the frogs which was mentioned quite a few times, but we never learn any details about it. He accepts a job offer from a small kingdom of Yurt where the former Royal Wizard recently retired. The people of the kingdom seems to be friendly (including the king and the Queen), or not outright hostile in the worst cases, but Daimbert was good enough a Wizard to feel evil forces in the all over the place. He must find who ...more
Sbuchler
Genre: Fantasy

This is a comfort read for me. It's pretty much a light-hearted standard fantasy - our hero, Daimbert, is a newly graduated Wizard (who graduated by the skin of his teeth, according to himself)whose taking his first post as Royal Wizard in the post-card perfect Kingdom of Yurt. It all starts out looking charming and sweet - but why did his predecessor and the previous Chaplin have such long standing enmity? Did that Chaplin die in suspicious circumstances? What is the spell that se
Kris Larson
This is the first in a six-book series of books about a hapless (and poorly dressed) wizard named Daimbert. They're filled with the kind of cocoa humor that makes you warm and cotton-headed rather than making you laugh. There's nothing in here to shake you out of your quiet evening: just a pleasant little kingdom, filled with nice folks and innocuous mystery plots, where you can snuggle into Daimbert's cozy study with roses climbing over the window and a fire crackling in the hearth. I like this ...more
Mike
Jun 06, 2013 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
A friend put me onto this one when we were talking about magical telephones (as you do). She said it was funny and a good read, so I gave it a shot.

She was right. It also has a protagonist who starts out as a slacker and a poser, but turns out overall to be a decent, good-hearted person, a promising wizard, and a hero. It's because I liked the character that it gets the fourth star; it's pretty lightweight, overall, but I rate books based on how much I enjoy them.

Despite everything about it sig
Elizabeth
The book is more like a 2.5, but I round down (my idea being "well if I felt it deserved higher than I would go and actually give it a 3 wouldn't I").

The hero is bit dim, kind of bumbles about... in many ways, I saw myself in this protagonist, mainly because he's a recent graduate of your run of the mill wizard college, who is convinced he has forgotten everything he's learned and oh god what is he going to do with his new job, but turns out knows more than he thinks he does. I haven't experienc
kvon
Audio book has a pretty good voice, a bit weak on women's voices but good variety. Sometimes it's difficult to tell when Daimbert is thinking or talking out loud without the quotation marks. Nice job on the demon.

An old favorite, that has a lot of flaws that are mostly made up for by the interaction of the wizard and the priest. In a world where both magic and the supernatural are real, who will save the kingdom from the forces of evil?
Cheryl Landmark
This was a fun, enjoyable read for the most part...not spectacular fantasy but light-hearted with a touch of seriousness as well. In some places, the writing was a little clunky and wooden, but the story itself was okay.

The main character, Daimbert, was likeable enough--a bit of a slacker, self-centred and somewhat inept in his spell-casting, but he was honest enough to admit it himself. The addition of what we might consider modern technology, i.e. telephones and newspapers, was surprising but
April
This probably would have been more enjoyable if the main character hadn't been so dim. I don't require my heroes to be universal geniuses but seeing what is right in front of their noses shouldn't be too much to ask.

He also fell in love immediately, dithered around doing not much of anything and sort of backed himself into accidentally being the hero.

I probably would have forgiven all of this if the expected* humor ever materialized and if more of the characters were fleshed out a little better.
T J
This an exciting tale of a young wizard as he finds himself with a magical mystery. Evil has filtrated the Castle Yurt and the King is dying. It takes all his talent and mind to find what is causing this and how to overcome and fix the problems. It is a rousing tale that has all the twist and turns with magic at its core.
Jenny T
A very light-hearted fantasy about a recent graduate from Wizard school, who's hired to rid the royal family of the tiny kingdom of Yurt of an Evil presence in the castle. Our Hero Daimbert is surprisingly likeable: well-intentioned, if uncertain of his own abilities -- and his philosophical clashes (and unexpected friendship) with the royal chaplain is a treat. Not especially deep, and somewhat predictable, but an enjoyable read.
Jessica
The problem with this book for me was that it was so lighthearted that it started to get really boring after a hundred pages. I guess I just couldn't get into it. For me, it either needed to be a lot more serious, OR a lot more funny. Even though Daimbert was slightly amusing, I was looking for more laugh-out loud moments, which never came.
Simeonberesford
What strikes me about this series is the religion. At times you could be reading any book on Catholic or High Church teachings. after the moraland ethical vacuity of so much modern, fantasy where even the good guys seem to inhabit a slough of moral relatissm. It is a bit of a shock. , The plot is okay but the writting is a bit wooden
Chronographia
A more whimsical take on fantasy canon, the Yurt series manages to endear you to its characters and string you along on its adventures. Or it just may be that I have a weak spot for the combination of magic treated as technology, a full catalogue of fantastical beasts, and oblique alt-history name-dropping.
Daniel
I love this series. Based on the cover and the synopsis it kind of comes off as a 'silly' fantasy. But as the story progresses in this book and the others in the series there is always a note of seriousness. The characters are great, believable within this fantasy world and likeable.
Genevieve's Human
“I'm generally fond of this series. The characters are well constructed - neither too happy go lucky nor too angsty, though this was some of my first exposure as a kid to characters with psychological trauma. The plot and world are entertaining.”
Tobyann Aparisi
Jul 30, 2012 Tobyann Aparisi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young at heart
Recommended to Tobyann by: good reads
Fun read, quick, witty, just a fun fantasy. Not what I expected but really like what I read! The characters were lively and believable and the story was fast paced and just a blast to read.
Jessica
What a fun book. I love the main character, and his slackerness. I did figure out the end before he did, but I'll tell myself that's because I'm smart.
Caer Glas
Apr 22, 2008 Caer Glas rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone looking for a quick pleasant read
Shelves: fantasy
I nice little fantasy, pleasant and workmanlike, no suprises, no new elements that I haven't seen before. A bubble gum read.
Crystal Puckett
A light-hearted, fun book. It went by quickly and was an enjoyable read.
Domenic
One of my nore favourite wizard-coming-of-age books...
Jj
A bit all over the place but still amusing
Neva
Neva marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Clynn
Clynn marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs
Ryan Zimmerman Carstairs marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
  • The Wizardry Cursed (Wiz, #3)
  • With a Single Spell
  • The Tower's Alchemist (The Gray Tower Trilogy, #1)
  • The Prince of Ill Luck (Warhorse of Esdragon, #1)
  • The Winter Letter
  • The Last Wizard (Wizard of the Grove, #2)
  • Dragon Companion (Dragon Companion, #1)
  • Christopher Pepper and the Silver Soda
  • Firecracker
  • Half Blood (Helheim Wolf Pack Tale #1)
  • The Girl Born of Smoke
  • Anvil of Tears (The Reforged, #1)
  • Trolls in the Hamptons (Willow Tate #1)
  • The Last Goddess (The Shattered Messiah #1)
  • Golden Mane (The Adventures of Sarah Coppernick, #1)
  • Breathless (King, #2)
  • Myth-Fortunes (Myth Adventures, #19)
  • Hera, Queen of Gods (Goddess Unbound, #1)
The Wood Nymph and the Cranky Saint (Daimbert, #2) Mage Quest (Daimbert, #3) The Witch & the Cathedral (Daimbert, #4) Daughter of Magic (Daimbert, #5) Is This Apocalypse Necessary? (Daimbert, #6)