Coyote

Coyote (Carlotta Carlyle #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A blazing redhead, a loner with a cabbie'slicense and a mean volleyball spike, Carlotta Carlylehas a talent for trouble. Tonight her mysteriousclient speaks broken English and clutches anewspaper detailing the discovery of a mutilated body inthe Boston Fens. The corpse has an immigrant'sgreen card and that card, the client claims, belongto her. She wants it back. But who i...more
Published March 9th 1998 by Dell (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Coyote, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coyote

Marleen
Another piece of the puzzle is put together as more is revealed about Carlotta Carlyle’s intriguing world while reading this 3rd book in the series, especially about her little sister Paolina (from the Big Sisters program). Carlotta takes her responsibility towards her little “sister” very seriously. She has been a big sister to Paolina since the little girl was 7 and has spent a lot of time with her, trying to teach her self-worth, taking her out to various educational and fun activities, tryin...more
Spuddie
#3 Carlotta Carlyle mystery featuring the PI and sometime-cabbie in Boston, MA. A young Spanish-speaking woman, possibly an illegal from some Central American country, comes to Carlotta as a walk-in client. She has with her one of Carlotta's business cards and a newspaper, pointing to an article about a dead woman named Manuela Estefan. The woman claims in halting Spanish that the dead person isn't Manuela Estefan--SHE is, and the woman had her green card. She wants Carlotta to get it back witho...more
Gail
This is the 3rd book in the Carlotta Carlyle series. I am really enjoying these books. Carlotta is my summer book companion this year. The setting of the book was the late 80s but the immigration issues are still relevant today. It is funny to have a detective running around without a cell phone and using a dial up computer connect and only having access to AOL but the stories are compelling and the characters engaging.
BoekenTrol
I bought this book several years ago, was attracted by the description on the back side and the comments of literary journalists.

The back side said it was a 'quick, well written story'. The subject: detectives, immigrants, murder. But nevertheless the story didn't catch me. I found Carlotta Carlyle, the main character, a detective, very annoying, chaotic, not a character that I found anything in common with.

I gave it a try, and a second read, but now I got to page 89 I decided to stop reading...more
Jan
Illegal immigration is such an icky, hot-button, no win issue. Green cards and using illegal workers were the focus of Coyote by Linda Barnes, and these issues touched the people close to PI Carlotta Carlisle. I did not enjoy this 3rd book in the series because of the subject matter. I also think I wasn't in a hard-boiled mystery mood. I would continue reading this series at a later time as I still like the characters, even when the subject matter is uncomfortable.
Kara Bee
Another enjoyable Carlotta Carlyle mystery. I enjoy how Linda Barnes continues to develop the character of Carlotta and the secondary characters. Carlotta continues to grow and develop rather than remain static as is often the case in series. I am looking forward to reading the next book!
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Carlotta Carlyle, cab driver and PI
SETTING: Boston
SERIES: book #3
RATING: 3.0
I like the protagonist in this series, but sometimes struggle with the secondary characters. The plot in this one has to do with illegal immigration. A large part of the book deals with the problems of Carlotta's Little Sister, Paolina. I'm not overly fond of this relationship. The plot is average.
Ryan Mishap
When you find a new mystery writer, or, rather, randomly pluck one from the infinite sea of mystery writers, there's a favorable glow glossing over their work. Unless they get better, though, you will lose interest the longer the series goes. Book three is a good one to bet on--the first caught your attention. The second was probably much like the first. The third is where they will take chances.
Kimz Zahour
I'm becoming more and more fond of this series. Maybe I wasn't sensitive to the character's inner conflicts in the other novels but it really jumped out at me in this book. It gave the characters more complexity in this already character driven mystery series.
There always seems to be an element of politics or bureaucracy in the plots and I'm thankful that that aspect is not over-done.
L.
Another Carlotta Carlyle book. This one is about immigration in Central America and what looks like a serial murderer stalking illegals. Also Paolina (her "little sister") has found out her father is a different man from the one she always thought was her dad, so she too is worrying about deportation. Not a terrific story, but it moves along ok.
Sherree
I really liked this book. It wasn't great literature, but it kept me interested through the end. This was the first book I've read by this author, and while not the first in the series, it was the first my library had. I didn't feel too behind from not reading the first two. I like the main character and will look for more of these books.
Mary_ellen Batcho
This is not about the animal a coyote, it is about abduction and selling people to an awful life frequently in another country. I foound this to be extremely intense and very tangled with other characters lives. When there is someone this evil in your past you are never really free of them. Try this book it is great.
Rindenver
This was an entertaining, good light read, perfect for those times when you need an escape -- like, for example when your digestive system is in open rebellion and you just want to be somewhere else while it calms down. Suspenseful, engaging characters, not too deep. I'll read more of her books.
Jim
My first Carlotta Carlyle book, an impressive story. Carlotta Carlyle reminds me a lot of Sara Paretsy's feisty heroine V.I.Warshawski. The coyote of the title is someone who smuggles people across borders usually from Latin America into the USA.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing Character: Carlotta Carlyle; illegal Hispanic immigrants are turning up dead and Carlotta finds evidence of a business using these aliens and government officials.
Terri
Imagine... a 6' tall female private investigator (wears size 11 shoes!) and loves to play volleyball... I find Carlotta's adventures to be entertaining.
Suziqoregon
My blog post about this book is at this link.
Art
This was pretty good, not the usual stuff I read, but an interesting examination of immigration issues in the U.S.
Renee
read it a LONG time ago. she is a GOOD author; i remember that. her Carlotta Carlyle mysteries are good and fun.
Anita
I really liked this one better than the first. I don't think I could drive around boston yet though.
Meredith
this has good plot and Carlotta is good character -- likes men but doesn't like to be pushed around.
Jeanette
This was a good book. I enjoyed reading it. This series is worth reading.
Chickandbrenda
I enjoy her books. Another woman detective. Nice relaxing read.
Catherine Woodman
I love Carlotta--this is a good book in the series
Bevjirwin
nice mystery but i guessed the bad guy way too soon
Michael
It was a great PI series and well written.
Vickie
Well written series and wonderfully written book.
Nancy
An addictive series.
Ruth
CC and illegal aliens
  • The Shape of Dread (Sharon McCone, #10)
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • Burn Marks (V.I. Warshawski, #6)
  • The Butter Did It (Chas Wheatley, #1)
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi...more
More about Linda Barnes...
A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1) The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9) The Perfect Ghost The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2) Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)