Start by marking “The King of the Hummingbirds and Other Tales” as Want to Read:
The King of the Hummingbirds and Other Tales

The King of the Hummingbirds and Other Tales

3.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  24 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Four fairy tales featuring a stupid coppersmith's son, a witch unhappy in her profession, a gnome with power to change things, and a fat, bespectacled Jewish boy who hopes to marry a princess.
Published 1977 by Alfred A. Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The King of the Hummingbirds and Other Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King of the Hummingbirds and Other Tales

Duncan
Apr 22, 2014 Duncan rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
I think this book is an interesting idea which when read really suffers in the fact that it is to slow. I hope the writer tries to write longer stories because I would totally read those. I think you really have to disect the book to get the moral, to the point that I still have not found it. I know it is their but I am not sure where.
Michael Dunn
Apr 10, 2013 Michael Dunn rated it liked it
Fun little collection of four short stories by John Gardner, an American author who died in a motorcycle accident near his home in 1982. He is best known for Grendal a retelling of Beowulf from the monster's point of view, which I read years ago. Not sure I really get the stories, though they were interesting, but also not sure if there is anything to get. Seems like his characters struggle for legitimacy in a harsh and unforgiving world.
Matt Yancey
Apr 22, 2014 Matt Yancey rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This book is kind of like a fairy tale. In fact it is a fairy tale, its just not one i have read until now. I did not love this book,and i am guessing some people did not like it either considering it is not very popular. Think about it, An idiot named Olaf needs to try and save a princess. Sounds like a pretty stereotypical fairy tale right? well this one did not quiet catch my interest.
Brooke Yancey
Apr 22, 2014 Brooke Yancey rated it did not like it
This book is about a stupid young man who saves the princess. The king of the hummingbirds died from a disease and now the dumb boy is the king of the humming birds. I didn't really understand the book. But I didn't really like it.
Natalia
Apr 22, 2014 Natalia rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I read the fist story of this book , but I didn't really get the story. All I really now about the story is that its about a stupid boy who makes caster.
Langston Bealum
Apr 22, 2014 Langston Bealum rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-fully-read
I read the first story of this book. I thought that it was really bad.
Autumn
Jan 29, 2012 Autumn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reread, books-i-own
I read this book when I was about 2 or 3 years old.It is sentimental to me because it's the very first book I ever read in my life.I still read it.So good.
Randy
Randy rated it liked it
May 08, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 20, 2015
Clark Stacey
Clark Stacey marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2015
Nina Braden
Nina Braden rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Rachel Geen
Rachel Geen marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Ellice
Ellice added it
Feb 27, 2015
AudryT
AudryT added it
Dec 30, 2014
vetchling
vetchling marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2014
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Craig Mccall
Craig Mccall marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Noah Kellstedt
Noah Kellstedt marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2015
Timmy
Timmy added it
Apr 22, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Heidi
Heidi rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Dlvierck
Dlvierck rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2013
Marc Kohlman
Marc Kohlman marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
John Champlin Gardner was a well-known and controversial American novelist and university professor, best known for his novel Grendel, a retelling of the Beowulf myth.

Gardner was born in Batavia, New York. His father was a lay preacher and dairy farmer, and his mother taught English at a local school. Both parents were fond of Shakespeare and often recited literature together. As a child, Gardner
More about John Gardner...