Start by marking “The Resurrection Man (Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn Mystery #10)” as Want to Read:
The Resurrection Man (Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn Mystery #10)

The Resurrection Man (Kelling & Bittersohn #10)

Boston-based art detectives Sarah Kelling and husband Max Bittersohn were hoping for some time off after their last case, especially since Max is still recovering from a broken leg he suffered during the investigation. That hope dies quickly, though, when they run into Countess Lydia Ouspenska.

The Countess, an expert forger of Byzantine icons, tells them that an old acquai
Hardcover, First Edition, 250 pages
Published April 1st 1992 by Mysterious Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Resurrection Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Resurrection Man

Betty
Dec 26, 2016 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, arc
It has been a long time that I had forgotten how much I enjoy Charlotte MacLeod books. This one did not disappoint me. Max Bittersohn is recovering from an injury so they are staying at Sarah home in Boston. Max met a master restorer of art pieces. He has set up a home for his technicians. Short!y after the pieces are restored and return to their owners, they are stolen. An old family friend is found murdered in a gruesome fashion. There is a strange Indian dressed in a baggy red dress jumping a ...more
Tracey
Dec 21, 2016 Tracey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time since I've read Charlotte MacLeod. I know I have a shelf full of her proto-cozy mysteries, the slightly goofy series or three about unusual people who happen to be capable detectives… I don't seem to have ever had this particular book. It's been a very long time, so I don't remember if the things that bothered me here are endemic in her writing or specific to this outing. I don't remember being bothered in the past, but I was less tetchy then.

Run-on sentences were everywhe
Dec 05, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies-mysteries
This wasn't the book I thought I was getting (I totally missed the zero and thought it was book one in the series, haha), but once I started reading I realized I hadn't read this one before. Strange, because Charlotte MacLeod, Sarah and Max are some of the folks that started me down the cozy road!

While not my favorite of the series, I enjoyed getting to see Max and Sarah again and I am absolutely thrilled to have found this on NetGalley. I'm going to have to go back and track down the earlier on
Linda Brue
Nov 02, 2016 Linda Brue rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Sarah Kelling and her husband Max Bittersohn are spending the summer staying in Sarah's Beacon Hill house in Boston while Max recovers from a broken leg suffered in their previous case. The two are private investigators, specializing in stolen or missing art and antiques. Sarah's hopes that a new case won't come their way until Max's leg mends are shattered when her aged old friend George Protheroe is found stabbed to death in the mansion he shared with wife Anora.

This book isn't quite up to th
Jessi
When I saw this book was available as an ARC, I sort of recognized the author's name. I had read the previous book in this series last year and had had little problem jumping into the story. That was not so with this book. There are a lot of characters. A LOT. And while there is some background given for each, knowing the characters ahead of time would have been very beneficial.
Unlike the previous book, this book actually focuses on the titular series characters. Max is somewhat restricted becau
Johnny
Jun 21, 2010 Johnny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
As a regular mystery reader, it seems rare when yours truly falls for every “red herring” in the book. The Resurrection Man is one of those books that took me on exactly that wild ride. Generally, when I read Charlotte MacLeod’s work, I have a vague sense of where it is going. In this case, I locked onto the wrong suspect from the beginning and pegged another incorrect suspect as that suspect’s accomplice. I haven’t been so off-base since arguing with my father as a teenager.
Normally, MacLeod’s
Ed
Jul 25, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#10 in the Sarah Kelling and Max Bittersohn mystery series.

If she weren't so fabulous, the Countess Lydia Ouspenska might be considered a gangster's moll. The last time she met Max Bittersohn, Boston's famed art-fraud investigator, she was forging minute Byzantine masterpieces to make ends meet. But when Max bumps into her on the Common, the Countess is back on her feet. She has taken up with Bartolo Arbalest, a master forger currently masquerading as an art restorer. And as Bittersohn knows all
Judy Schultze
Sep 20, 2013 Judy Schultze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10th book in one of my favorite cozy mystery series. These are books I keep on my bookshelf to reread again & again. The plots are always well thought out, but it's the writing and the characters that make the books. Sarah Kelling & Max Bittersohn and especially their family & friends are quirky, but lovable. There are touches of comedy & romance throughout the stories of a detective(s) with ties to Boston Society & the genteel life. In Resurrection Man the story revolves aro ...more
Margaret
Jul 14, 2015 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On parentage: "...the (her) shy young mother had not been bold enough to ask her father what his last name was during their brief but fruitful relationship." What a delightful circumlocution in this romp of a happy-endings mystery. I probably miss half the references--or more. I also get exposure to words I am not familiar with. Such as Stymphalian.
Highly recommended. If you like that sort of thing.
Maria
Feb 22, 2013 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sarah and Max are back and investigating a murder and theft. There are a host of new characters as well as a return of many of the old characters. We see a new side to Jesse Kelling, Lionel's oldest son, now 16. I have to admit he has a very strange mother. It's a shame there are no more books in this series. I'm still wondering what happened to the Count from the last book, but was very pleased to see Lydia Ouspenska back again.
Shannon
Sep 14, 2012 Shannon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
It held my interest enough to finish, but the writing style wasn't great. The characters were hard to keep track of, there were comma splices on nearly every page, and MacLeod often chose big words where small ones would do. (I had a really hard time believing people -- even Boston blue bloods -- would use some of those words in everyday conversation.)
Teri-k
Sep 13, 2015 Teri-k rated it really liked it
I remembered that the later books in this series weren't that good, but I really enjoyed this one, #10. It had an interesting set-up and enough action to keep the plot moving. I also appreciated that it focused on Max and Sarah and didn't get too caught up in other people. Now I look forward to rereading more of this series.
Lexi
Jan 31, 2010 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A bit darker than most of the MacLeod books thus far, but Sarah and Max Bittersohn, her detective couple, are back with a vengeance in this one. The ending is a bit convoluted and not quite plausible, but creative and fun characters make it worthwhile. Enjoyable read.
Michele
It seems there are a lot of books called "Resurrection Man." It certainly is a compelling title. Anyway, this is the murder mystery one. It might not be the best Kelling/Bittersohn mystery, but it was entertaining, especially the last few chapters which are quite funny.
Cindy
Mar 25, 2012 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a bit hard to get into and to follow. some of the terminology is set at another era and I didn't really see the point of things until the last 20 pages. Long, slow and painful.
Jody Hamilton
Not my favorite in the Bittersohn/Kelling series. Only two more to go, though, and I'm finished with the series. Darn, I miss the Peter Shandy series by the same author.
Phyllis
This is a very light hearted mystery. I like it for the fact that she
is so whimsical and easy to read. Some authors telescope whodunit but Charlotte McCleod does not.
Paula
Jun 20, 2013 Paula rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z2013-reads
Just cant read this series anymore. I enjoy listening to them but find it difficult to find them on audio. Have decided to just skip them. too many other books on my "to read" shelf.
Donna
Aug 21, 2015 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2015
Cozy comfort read. The usual cast of quirky characters and a mysterious stranger in a red track suit.
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Wodwo
Wodwo rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Lisa Berry
Lisa Berry rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Saralee
Saralee rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2011
CL
CL rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2013
Lynn
Lynn rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2012
Teena Welch
Teena Welch rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2010
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2012
Melanie
Melanie rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2007
  • The Wrong Rite
  • Murder in the Red Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #10)
  • Cold and Pure and Very Dead (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #4)
  • Circles of Confusion (Claire Montrose, #1)
  • Farther Afield (Fairacre, #11)
  • The Hot Pink Farmhouse (Berger and Mitry, #2)
  • Die for Love (Jacqueline Kirby, #3)
Naturalized US Citizen

Also wrote as Alisa Craig

Charlotte MacLeod, born in New Brunswick, Canada, and a naturalized U.S. citizen, was the multi-award-winning author of over thirty acclaimed novels. Her series featuring detective Professor Peter Shandy, America's homegrown Hercule Poirot, delivers "generous dollops of...warmth, wit, and whimsy" (San Francisco Sunday Examiner and Chronicle). But full
More about Charlotte MacLeod...

Kelling & Bittersohn (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Family Vault (Kelling & Bittersohn, #1)
  • The Withdrawing Room (Kelling & Bittersohn, #2)
  • The Palace Guard (Kelling & Bittersohn, #3)
  • The Bilbao Looking Glass (Kelling & Bittersohn, #4)
  • The Convivial Codfish (Kelling & Bittersohn, #5)
  • The Plain Old Man (Kelling & Bittersohn, #6)
  • The Recycled Citizen (Kelling & Bittersohn, #7)
  • The Silver Ghost (Kelling & Bittersohn, #8)
  • The Gladstone Bag (Kelling & Bittersohn, #9)
  • The Odd Job (Kelling & Bittersohn, #11)